gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 05:43:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Collecting Beach Boys on CDs  (Read 10488 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2012, 01:10:04 AM »

So, Justin ?

I wonder if that french boy who did the thread ended up buying those japanese import also! haha

haha Ziggy, well my trick worked again...and for the best!

I waited the other day and postponed me buying the CDs....the feeling sort of passed and thought it'd be wise to hold off--it was justifiable considering I already own these CDs.  Good thing I did wait because I ended up spending a nice wad at the Merch table at tonight's show in Santa Barbara...so the money I would've spent on those CDs--I used here for a shirt and poster etc... 

So, disaster averted--but I'm sure I'll try and get them again when the next paycheck comes around  Grin
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2012, 02:09:37 PM »

Random CD news, mini LPs of POB, Youngblood, Bruce's Going Public and Surfin round the World are being reissued in Japan next month.

Seems strange but the mini LPs do get reissued near to tour dates of bands etc.  I picked up some Yes albums (out of print for ages) as they were reissued for their Japan tour.  Interesting that the BB albums aren't being reissued, don't know if that's because they are readily available or due to Capitol's reissue plans for the catalogue (if any).

The weirdest thing about these reissues is Terry Melcher's Royal Flush seems part of the same reissue programme. There's even a 'Beach Boys Family' promo box apparently.

Has the 'Carl Wilson' album ever been offered on CD outside of Japan (I've only seen Youngblood), was there ever a twofer of his albums on CD?  Strange that the Melcher album is there and not both Carl albums.

Even though the 2 cd release of POB is a gorgeous package I got suckered in by the mini LP and went for the pre order on that one.

I should have used Justin's '3 days in the basket' method!  Bah!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:11:15 PM by Mark H » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2012, 02:15:46 PM »

Dude, whatever POB format it is, if i see it in a store and i don't own that version i just couldn't resist, POB is one of my all time fav album, classic.

So, Justin ?

I wonder if that french boy who did the thread ended up buying those japanese import also! haha

Yes, I have almost all of them, in both regular and sample (promo) release. Note that there are two releases for these items (1998 and 2008) with different OBI.

Maaan! wow, would love to see a picture of that collection, i don't think i've seen quite often pictures of Beach Boys collection.

So, Justin ?

haha Ziggy, well my trick worked again...and for the best!

I waited the other day and postponed me buying the CDs....the feeling sort of passed and thought it'd be wise to hold off--it was justifiable considering I already own these CDs.  Good thing I did wait because I ended up spending a nice wad at the Merch table at tonight's show in Santa Barbara...so the money I would've spent on those CDs--I used here for a shirt and poster etc... 

So, disaster averted--but I'm sure I'll try and get them again when the next paycheck comes around  Grin

Haha right on bro, good for you! how's that poster ? just the beach boys 50th anniversary logo and all?
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2012, 08:23:16 PM »

Another cool thing about the mini lp's was that promo boxes were available. The boxes featured Beach Boys lp's up through the 1980's titles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEACH-BOYS-ALL-SUMMER-LONG-RARE-OUT-OF-PRINT-JAPANESE-6-MINI-LP-CD-BOX-SET-/350572369237?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item519fbdd555

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-3-Mini-lp-CD-THE-BEACH-BOYS-Keepin-Summer-Alive-Promo-Box-Set-LE-/190687829659?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item2c65e15e9b
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:26:16 PM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »

I've ordered from these guys before and they are fantastic. Never had a problem from Japan to the U.S. Purchased Beach Boys mini lps and other titles. You can check their store to see the different titles and bands available. The Beach Boy titles have gone up quite a bit since I last purchased any.

http://myworld.ebay.com/eiselvis&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533

Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2012, 05:05:43 AM »

I've ordered from these guys before and they are fantastic. Never had a problem from Japan to the U.S. Purchased Beach Boys mini lps and other titles. You can check their store to see the different titles and bands available. The Beach Boy titles have gone up quite a bit since I last purchased any.

http://myworld.ebay.com/eiselvis&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533

I'll recommend that seller again (another link a page back) very prompt delivery and goods as described.  As you say, does seem like the prices have gone up a little bit though.

I love those boxes but to buy them with no CDs is usually around £80!

Wish they did a mini LP style release for TWGMTR like they did for TLOS.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2012, 05:11:13 AM »

omg holy cow, is this heaven?
can't find any box for the 70's ones tho (or late 60's) Sad

aren't they officialy available anymore? isn't there an website other than stuff like ebay where you can buy those?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:20:12 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2012, 05:35:44 AM »

omg holy cow, is this heaven?
can't find any box for the 70's ones tho (or late 60's) Sad

aren't they officialy available anymore? isn't there an website other than stuff like ebay where you can buy those?

As I understand it they are only 'promo' boxes normally available when you purchase a 'set' of releases.  After the initial release of a series they are no longer available AFAIK.
beachboys_fr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2012, 04:45:37 AM »

As I know, the boxes were given for free to people who purchase all the set by Disc Union, a Japanese retailer. They are often called "promo boxes" but in fact they are not. When I say that there is promo of these CDs, I mean classical japanese promo CDs with a sticker on the back cover and "sample not for sale" printed on the center of the disc. I would like to provide you a picture of the 1998 and 2008 front covers (with the different OBI strips) but I get an error message even if the size of the files is really small... Sorry! If you want all the set, promo and not promo, 1998 and 2008, you have to purchase 70 items! There are also 7 different boxes.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2012, 03:10:19 PM »

Go for it guys :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Boys-Love-You-Japan-Mini-LP-CD-Sealed-/260620880281
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2012, 03:12:40 PM »

I've got a few of the mini-LPs and generally feel bad about losing the obi.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:25:54 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2012, 03:17:48 PM »

Ziggy...the ones from China are the fakes, 'member? police
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2012, 03:22:33 PM »

Oh.. OH GOSH DARN IT ! i just saw the offer, the price and jumped on it Sad

damn it, China.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »

Yeah I jump whenever I see these  pop up too but then when I see where they're from I'm bummed!  Then again, I've never bought one of these so I'm not sure how "bad' they are as fakes.  So maybe they're not so bad?  For just twelve bucks or whatever...it's not a huge loss!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx