gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:00:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up  (Read 2700 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2009, 12:53:28 PM »

A couple weeks ago I bought a piano.

Today I was hung over and bored.

It all adds up to a BW Surf's Up demo-style recording, minus the talented singer and piano player.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ndzxeu

And no, I didn't even shoot for the high part of "domino." I do have neighbors...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 03:59:49 AM »

very nice. good stuff.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 10:09:01 AM »

Nice version, good 'timbre' on the piano too.

I know what you mean about neighbours, I get a bit self conscious doing my singing as I know there are people are around so I tend to make it quiet. Add to that above the room I record is the bathroom of whoever lives above me so its disconcerting enough that when he's having a poo he can hear me sing, but also when it flushes it gets picked up on my recording equipment! Roll Eyes

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 12:11:01 PM »

Funnily enough matt-zeus, I'm pretty sure the Beach Boys made the released version of "Surf's Up" under almost identical conditions, in a studio in Brian's house right below his bathroom. I think Brian thought of the ending to song while he was taking a crap, too! He rushed downstairs without wiping and told them that "Child is Father of the Man" was supposed to end the song. True story, BTW.

But in all seriousness, it's a nice cover, better than I could do. I noticed that if you slow it down about 20% you roughly get the tempo Brian performed the song at.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 02:33:32 PM »

Yeah, it's fast. I wasn't even listening to the original, much less trying to match tempo. Felt right to play it that way. Such is life. Hopefully that won't prevent me from getting my big break and reaping my otherwise assured millions...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 03:16:19 PM »

Funnily enough matt-zeus, I'm pretty sure the Beach Boys made the released version of "Surf's Up" under almost identical conditions, in a studio in Brian's house right below his bathroom. I think Brian thought of the ending to song while he was taking a crap, too! He rushed downstairs without wiping and told them that "Child is Father of the Man" was supposed to end the song. True story, BTW.

I think that's where he composed 'I like to say Da-Da', originally known as 'I like to do Poo-Poo'....

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:01:14 AM »

Hey Luther, what's cooking, I really like this, I think you're very talented singer, among other things. Wink
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 05:20:56 PM »

Awesome job Luther...that high part is a bitch, no doubt.  Even without it, not an easy song to sing.  Well done!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 07:44:01 PM »

Thanks. Maybe if I had way the hell more energy I'd have at least tried the harder part(s). But it was really just a way to kill a little time on a weekend (as most of my recording is). I do appreciate the kind words.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx