gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:58:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Calling  (Read 14474 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2013, 11:55:07 AM »

The bit on California Calling when Al sings '...totally rad' makes me want to crawl up my own arse with embarrassment.

Ah, see this belongs in the SDT thread as a classic example of the Beach Boys desperately trying to stay hip.

I do have a guilty liking for this song though, really the only one I like on BB85
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2013, 12:14:57 PM »

For one of those unexplainable "fan reasons" I recently put "'85" on my iPod and listened to this song for the first time in years the other day. I was wondering who's doing the falsetto in the chorus? It almost sounds like Matt Jardine, but he didn't start doing that for a few more years. Bruce? Foskett? Looped, processed Bri? Ah, the wonders of the BBs.
has to be Adrian Baker as I don't think Foskett actually *sang* on any of the records until last year.

Adrian Baker wasn't involved. Brian's doing falsetto on "Getcha back" while Jeff did it in live situations. Maybe it's that way too on "California calling", What do the credits in the booklet say? I don't have it here

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2013, 12:17:02 PM »

For one of those unexplainable "fan reasons" I recently put "'85" on my iPod and listened to this song for the first time in years the other day. I was wondering who's doing the falsetto in the chorus? It almost sounds like Matt Jardine, but he didn't start doing that for a few more years. Bruce? Foskett? Looped, processed Bri? Ah, the wonders of the BBs.
has to be Adrian Baker as I don't think Foskett actually *sang* on any of the records until last year.

Adrian Baker wasn't involved. Brian's doing falsetto on "Getcha back" while Jeff did it in live situations. Maybe it's that way too on "California calling", What do the credits in the booklet say? I don't have it here

There has been some speculation as to whether it was actually Brian. Personally I think it is.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2013, 12:31:53 PM »

No other vocalists credited on the album sleeve. I reckon Brian pulled this one out of the bag...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2013, 06:53:33 AM »

You used stars instead of quotation marks. Don't let it happen again.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2013, 07:29:39 AM »

Great album and song! It's sorta like Surfin' USA's mutated brother..

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »

There is only one great song on BB85 and it is 'Where I Belong' Male Ego is a catchy number and appeals to my new wave side. Getche Back is a nice song. One of Bruce's better songs as well.

California Calling is very grating in my opinion. And to Stephen Newcombe, I can't speak for anyone else who dislikes this song, but I do like KTSA (song), Sunshine, Kokamo and Somewhere Near Japan. So I like plenty of 'unhip' songs even though I prefer the 66-73 material.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2013, 07:08:15 PM »

This song has a kind of loping, al jardine meody that reminds me a little of California Saga ... I think the song would work great with a sort of holland-style country-rock production. I also think it would sound great in a postcard style production - I hope Al rerecords it some time.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2013, 07:43:46 AM »

This song has a kind of loping, al jardine meody that reminds me a little of California Saga ... I think the song would work great with a sort of holland-style country-rock production. I also think it would sound great in a postcard style production - I hope Al rerecords it some time.

I would agree with that!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2013, 11:06:39 AM »

Not sure why you used that smiley coz it's obvious that Ringo isn't African American by nationality.

Uh....well....

I'll explain - usually, as you may know, people attach smileys to their posts to: A) show their attitude towards one or another subject; B) give tiny details to the subject. In case of Awesoman, it can't be the 1st option, because "Afro" (the official title of the smiley) means, well, "Afro", i.e. "African American" & nothing else. So, it seems logical to think that the poster added that smiley to describe the subject, in our case - Ringo. That's why I's kind of surprised to see that face next to him coz Ringo is white-colored.
But at the end of the day, maybe this was all unintentional. Maybe Awesoman just chose the wrong smiley, instead he wanted "3D" one, it hangs near "Afro", btw.
Hope my answer made sense.

This song has a kind of loping, Al Jardine melody that reminds me a little of California Saga ... I think the song would work great with a sort of holland-style country-rock production. I also think it would sound great in a postcard style production - I hope Al rerecords it some time.
Wow, that's some idea! I'd be jolly glad to hear CalCalling in a country-rock mode.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2013, 11:42:46 AM »

I think you can put pedal steel to just about any Al composition (or even song idea, such as "Cottonfields") and it's gonna enhance things.

It couldn't hurt "Lady Lynda," either.

However, I'll draw the line at "Sloop John B." 3D
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »

It couldn't hurt "Lady Lynda," either.
Whether it's due to that classical intro or sth., I can't imagine "Lady Lynda" being done in a country-rock or folk-rock style.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx