gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:42:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Calling  (Read 14176 times)
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2009, 07:29:53 AM »

I always enjoyed the album and I remember buying it the day I came out.  "California Calling" was formula back then but it was still a fun song.  "It's Getting Late" was always a guilty pleasure for me.  Love it.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2009, 12:47:17 AM »

I always enjoyed the album and I remember buying it the day I came out.  "California Calling" was formula back then but it was still a fun song.  "It's Getting Late" was always a guilty pleasure for me.  Love it.

Same here. It's Getting Late is a beautifully melancholy song, and vastly underrated.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2009, 01:52:52 AM »

Undecided seems things got a bit off topic here. I think California Calling, for me anyway, got my attention more than any other track because it hearkened back to their earlier days of surf music. And showed they could still make an original surf song. Plus it was the most fun feel good song on the album.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2009, 02:07:54 AM »

Undecided seems things got a bit off topic here. I think California Calling, for me anyway, got my attention more than any other track because it hearkened back to their earlier days of surf music. And showed they could still make an original surf song. Plus it was the most fun feel good song on the album.

Sorry. I just had a brain wave re: car songs. The BBs could celebrate their 50th with a new first: an album of hot-rod stuff in a totally new light. Hybrid vehicles, totally ethanol-driven, what have you...

Yes I Have That Ecology Bias
I Just Got Me A Brand New Prius
I Am Just A Very Proud Tree Hugger
No I Ain't Mother Nature's Mugger!

The Briney Smell Of Our Seas is Back
Cuz' We Use All Hands On Deck
And Steppin' On The Gas Don't Make Feel Guilty No More
Everything's So Much Cleaner Than Before

It will be on their reunion album. And I will get rich.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2009, 02:30:29 AM »

it needs a hook though...

Yes I Have That Ecology Bias now
I Just Got Me A Brand New Prius now
I Am Just A Very Proud Tree Hugger now
No I Ain't Mother Nature's Mugger! now

The Briney Smell Of Our Seas is Back now
Cuz' We Use All Hands On Deck now
And Steppin' On The Gas Don't Make Feel Guilty No More now
Everything's So Much Cleaner Than Before now

See? It's still rhymes!... and now you almost have a hit.

But it still does need some Fun Fun fun and Good Vibrations references.  Razz

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2009, 02:39:58 AM »

Um, now, isn't that a bit rich, eight times 'now' in a row, now?

Just asking... am thinking about those references though.  Cool Guy

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2009, 03:30:59 AM »

Check the lyrisc of Fun Fun Fun: 9 "now"s

O, and you might get sued for it... but that's only a good sign... (ML usually goes to court when there's a profit to be made  Grin  )

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2009, 03:34:51 AM »

Check the lyrisc of Fun Fun Fun: 9 "now"s

O, and you might get sued for it... but that's only a good sign... (ML usually goes to court when there's a profit to be made  Grin  )

Shocked--> Grin blimey! I didn't get that joke first time around, but indeed: Fun Fun Fun is loaded with 'nows'...

SummerInParadise23
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2013, 08:02:08 AM »

Just discovered this song recently! Its really great! Surprised it wasn't more popular...
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2013, 08:19:25 AM »

Sums up everything that I hate abut the band, sorry. The song itself is not bad per se, but the idea and purpose behind it are laughable. Same goes for 'Kona Coast'.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:22:13 AM by Ovi » Logged
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2013, 08:47:14 AM »

Banana This is by FAR my favorite track on the 1985 "Beach Boys" album. Why it never got the PR it should have is beyond me.  Brow Maybe AGD can clarify on this? I personally think it would have been a GREAT single and hit.

I think it's totally rad
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2013, 11:23:16 AM »

One of many post -74 songs with really shitty lyrics - like most of SIP, Spring Vacation, Waves of Love, Brian's Back, Beaches in Mind, Kona Coast etc. A lame track.  Not the worst on the album, but close.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2013, 11:28:07 AM »

WANNA TAKE WALK
WANNA GO COP
WANNA GO GET SOME CHINESE YEAH

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
TommyPlural
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2013, 11:48:31 AM »

For one of those unexplainable "fan reasons" I recently put "'85" on my iPod and listened to this song for the first time in years the other day. I was wondering who's doing the falsetto in the chorus? It almost sounds like Matt Jardine, but he didn't start doing that for a few more years. Bruce? Foskett? Looped, processed Bri? Ah, the wonders of the BBs.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »

The bass vocals are pretty ace in the song.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2013, 12:17:03 PM »

I always hated the reference to Pet Sounds in Brian's Back...it was like Mike actually liked that album or something

I also hate that song. Pure shite.

Not even a great vocal ending by Carl could save that piece of abomination. But hey, now we get another version of it! (Perhaps we are lucky enough to get Mike's 2000 rerecording). Man I'm looking forward to this, glad it took the spot of some other unreleased treasure on MiC.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:19:11 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2013, 12:24:20 PM »

John Q Public told me he expects Brian's Back to be on there because he once saw a thing on teevee that had a guy with a blanket that said Brian's Back on it. Also, every penny of the licensing fee relating to Brian's Back goes to benefiting Brian's back, the surgery costs are ridiculous.

I think you'll also find that during Mike and Bruce's 2005 UK tour, the wide-ranging setlists purposely didn't include Brian's Back to appeal to this growing demographic of people who don't care about Brian's back.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:27:06 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2013, 12:30:09 PM »

For one of those unexplainable "fan reasons" I recently put "'85" on my iPod and listened to this song for the first time in years the other day. I was wondering who's doing the falsetto in the chorus? It almost sounds like Matt Jardine, but he didn't start doing that for a few more years. Bruce? Foskett? Looped, processed Bri? Ah, the wonders of the BBs.
has to be Adrian Baker as I don't think Foskett actually *sang* on any of the records until last year.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2013, 03:10:19 PM »

has to be Adrian Baker as I don't think Foskett actually *sang* on any of the records until last year.
Are we sure it's not processed and looped Brian?  I always thought Levine did quite a bit of that on the LP.  I definitely don't hate BB85...I actually kind of enjoy listening to it.  Does it sound like it came from the 80s?  Yes...because it DID come from the 80s.  If you can get past that...you'll find some decent songs and some great singing (especially from Mr. Carl Wilson).  It's also the last BB LP to see active participation from two Wilson brothers (I'm not including Stars & Stripes). 

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2013, 03:57:50 PM »

Foskett is on BB85. Believe it or not.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2013, 08:31:04 AM »

Banana This is by FAR my favorite track on the 1985 "Beach Boys" album. Why it never got the PR it should have is beyond me.  Brow Maybe AGD can clarify on this? I personally think it would have been a GREAT single and hit.

It's alright; the coolest thing about it though by far is that Ringo Starr drums on it.   Afro
Not sure why you used that smiley coz it's obvious that Ringo isn't African American by nationality. Other than that, I agree with you. When I found out who drummed on CalCalling, I's just amazed. So good to know that Paul isn't the only Beatle-BBs fan. Or else it'd be a real bore. Surely Ringo is fun to have around in the studio. Fits the company of our "goofy" Boys.

For the record, I'd say I very enjoy hearing this song when I play the entire album. Especially considering it begins right after Bruce's mundane pseudo-ballad. In short, it's the most contagious song in the album. Sometimes I listen to it in isolation from the rest of the tracks for achieving optimistic mood.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2013, 10:26:20 AM »

Not sure why you used that smiley coz it's obvious that Ringo isn't African American by nationality.

Uh....well....

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »

Ol' Pet Sounds. Mike had to take him behind the shed and put him to rest one balmy summer night. He had good dog ears, too. 'Tis a shame, but when an album is sick, an album is sick and something has gotta be done.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2013, 11:25:19 AM »

The bit on California Calling when Al sings '...totally rad' makes me want to crawl up my own arse with embarrassment.

However, there are some terrific moments on Beach Boys '85 and those fans who dismiss the whole album outright mystify me... Where I Belong, as I might have said once or twice previously, is incredible - their best song of the decade. I Do Love You may be more Stevie than Beebie, but it's still a great song and Carl and Al (as on Where I Belong) sing brilliantly throughout. Male Ego is great fun. It's Gettin' Late sounds like Carl Wilson does Prince/Beck... which is a GOOD thing!

For the above songs alone, BB '85 is, to me, far superior to either MIU, KTSA, Still Crusin' or SIP. Hell, I'd even include TWGMTR if I didn't suspect it'd result in me being burnt at the cross...
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2013, 11:44:14 AM »

California Calling - the greatest Beach Boys single that never was !

(actually does this belong in the Unpopular Opinions thread ?  Smiley )
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx