gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:54:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Calling  (Read 14178 times)
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2009, 07:09:03 AM »

Banana This is by FAR my favorite track on the 1985 "Beach Boys" album. Why it never got the PR it should have is beyond me.  Brow Maybe AGD can clarify on this? I personally think it would have been a GREAT single and hit.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 07:10:26 AM »

Banana This is by FAR my favorite track on the 1985 "Beach Boys" album. Why it never got the PR it should have is beyond me.  Brow Maybe AGD can clarify on this? I personally think it would have been a GREAT single and hit.

I disagree. I find it completely synthetic BBs-by-numbers. I played it exactly three times and tried to forget it - unsuccessfully.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 07:20:04 AM »

I disagree. I find it completely synthetic BBs-by-numbers. I played it exactly three times and tried to forget it - unsuccessfully.

I'm with Don except for one thing: I can't pinpoint another track on that album as a favorite either. The whole album sounds mostly like "synthetic BBs-by-numbers" to me, a group that didn't know what to try next, went for what they thought was a hit-making formula (except they forgot to bring good songs) and failed. Again. Sad, considering we know Brian was still writing some decent songs and that the guys could all still sing at that point. There could have been more than 10 years of solid, if not groundbreaking, work. Instead there was sonic ipecac and lawsuits.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:21:23 AM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:28:11 AM »

Sonic what? Huh
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 09:30:23 AM »

Sonic what? Huh
stuff that makes you have a technicolor yawn.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 09:46:16 AM »

ipecac is what's known as an emetic. Used to be every parent was supposed to have it on hand in case junior ate poison....turns out it's not safe itself.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 10:01:01 AM »

It's alright; the coolest thing about it though by far is that Ringo Starr drums on it.   Afro

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 10:40:23 AM »

It's alright; the coolest thing about it though by far is that Ringo Starr drums on it.   Afro

Funny thing - when I first heard it in March 1985 (I was in the studio with the band the last day they were mixing the album), my initial reaction was to say "That should be a single". I got a lot of quizzical looks. So I shut up.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 12:27:37 PM »

It should have been the b-side to Getcha Back....btw, that Getcha Back sounds like Don't Worry Baby mixed with Hungry Heart.  I actually do like I'm so Lonely, Where I Belong, Male Ego, and kinda It's Just a Matter of Time. She believes in Love again is sooo 80s ballad esq.  Male Ego, I think is the strongest track from this era.   I know Stevie Wonder's appearance may look cheesy, but I enjoy it....But I guess Jack Black said it best on High Fidelity, "it's sentimental, tacky crap;....is it better to just fade away?" hehe....i know that's not the whole quote.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 12:35:17 PM »

The album tries but doesn't really cut it. Still I think it's better than MIU.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 12:57:21 PM »

try listening to the vinyl, it's a bit b@lls-ier as some say

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 02:55:47 PM »

Funny thing - when I first heard it in March 1985 (I was in the studio with the band the last day they were mixing the album), my initial reaction was to say "That should be a single". I got a lot of quizzical looks. So I shut up.

I know basically the album is overly synthesized. Some tracks more than others. But California calling sounded to me anyway the closest thing to the original Beach Boys sound. My brother and I were dumbfounded why it never got any attention.. Oh except at the very end of the "It's Getting Late" music video. With Brian hearing it in a sea shell.
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 03:01:10 PM »

try listening to the vinyl, it's a bit b@lls-ier as some say
I wonder if the LP version and the CD version used the same master and mix. hmmm. I have both, but my ear may not detect it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 03:04:43 PM »

I actually like the album for the most part. Yeah, it's dated but it was the last time that they sounded reasonably "current" in a long time. More importantly, it's the last time the harmonies actually sound like Beach Boys harmonies.

That said, I can't stand CC. That, along with I'm So Lonely and It's Just a Matter of Time drag the album down imho.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 12:07:15 AM »

Actually, I quite like 'Passing Friend', and 'It's Getting Late'. Carl, of course. IGL is very melancholy, makes me feel getting older, and I am (we all are - proven scientific fact).

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 12:12:30 AM »

AGD says:

Haha  LOL the beach boys have that a lot. I agree. Its the best together with Getcha Back on the cd. Great Al jardine vocals and guitars.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:14:48 AM by Dutchie » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 01:27:21 AM »

Always makes me wonder why it took the two of them to actually write it, as I guess it would've been a no-brainer even for Alan Jardine on his own. To a certain extent I like it, however, mostly due to the fact that I have such a hard time getting into most of Carl's material on that album (safe for "Where I Belong", of course).
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 05:41:37 AM »

It should have been the b-side to Getcha Back....btw, that Getcha Back sounds like Don't Worry Baby mixed with Hungry Heart....

Have you heard Mike Love's version of Hungry Heart? Sounds just like Getcha Back!

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 06:37:04 AM »

It should have been the b-side to Getcha Back....btw, that Getcha Back sounds like Don't Worry Baby mixed with Hungry Heart....

Have you heard Mike Love's version of Hungry Heart? Sounds just like Getcha Back!

I saw BS play Hungry Heart live in 1981, in Rotterdam, in a fine arena. And whom did he call on stage to do HH with him and the E-Streeters? None other than the original Flo and Eddie. Magnificent.

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 08:28:39 AM »

Flo and Eddie did some amazing stuff: the last Turtles albums were great (esp. the unreleased songs which later appeared on Rhino), their duo LPs (excluding the raggae album), plus the things they did with Zappa.

Watson, did you hear this?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 08:53:47 AM »

Flo and Eddie did some amazing stuff: the last Turtles albums were great (esp. the unreleased songs which later appeared on Rhino), their duo LPs (excluding the raggae album), plus the things they did with Zappa.

Cheers for that, another line of inquiry opened up... Smiley

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 05:36:15 PM »

I've always had kind of a soft spot for the '85 album, but "California Calling" usually feels try-hard to me.  Sometimes it catches me at the right angle, and it's charming.  Other times... not so much.

I do remember right after I'd got the CD, I was playing it in the loungeroom with my wife, and I just spontaneously started singing along with the chorus in full jolly Jardine mode:

"We're creatively bankrupt
We need another hi-it
So we'll dig up some cliches and we'll play them all
Cause we know that you will love all this shiiii-iiiiiii-iiiiiiii*..."

Getcha Back, OTOH, is just fab.  A whole album like that, I would have adored when I was 13...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 12:31:07 AM »

I've always had kind of a soft spot for the '85 album, but "California Calling" usually feels try-hard to me.  Sometimes it catches me at the right angle, and it's charming.  Other times... not so much.

I do remember right after I'd got the CD, I was playing it in the loungeroom with my wife, and I just spontaneously started singing along with the chorus in full jolly Jardine mode:

"We're creatively bankrupt
We need another hi-it
So we'll dig up some cliches and we'll play them all
Cause we know that you will love all this shiiii-iiiiiii-iiiiiiii*..."

Getcha Back, OTOH, is just fab.  A whole album like that, I would have adored when I was 13...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

LOL

I was thinking about starting a little contest: write your own 'worst BBs lyric', e.g. as featured in 'Brian's Back', or on SIP. Perhaps  if I can construct an example, it will work out. Could be parallel with the meter of a real BBs song, or an entirely imaginary one.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 10:05:59 AM »

Hey, I like the lyrics to Brian's Back!

They say Brian's back
Well I guess he's had his ups and downs
They say Brian is back
But in my heart he's always been around

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 10:19:14 AM »

Hey, I like the lyrics to Brian's Back!

They say Brian's back
Well I guess he's had his ups and downs
They say Brian is back
But in my heart he's always been around

hmmm... but what about 'Not To Mention Ole' Pet Sounds' ?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx