gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:14:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Springsteen  (Read 2550 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2009, 03:51:08 AM »

...played the Pinkpop Festival in Holland two weeks ago. As a big exception, he agreed to do a couple of tried and trusted festivals (this one is 40 years old). On the condition that he would not be limited to the usual 45 min. slot, but could do the 3 hrs. that is his trademark. And he agreed on a film clip with three songs, to be televised the day after his show.

I saw him three times live (1981, 1984, and 1987. And still, this film clip was probably the best I saw. Close up, with the E-streeters. He opened with 'Badlands', and to my amazement the 60,000 crowd had spontaneously created a final wordless type of chorus. The other songs were: 'Working On A Miracle', interspersed with an old gospel-type preaching speech (implicity celebrating the advent of Obama after all those Repubican warfare years); and the last one was 'Born To Run', as fresh (or even better) as it ever was.

I was really shaking with boyish mirth. To see someone nearly 60 not having lost one inkling of his powers, and to see Clarence Clemons (now 68) taking it a bit more easily (there was a chair for his inactive parts in the programme) blowing still so well when services were in demand, that was breathtaking.

The papers en the TV reviews in Holland and Belgium were unanimous in their praise, and various media had only one wish: this should be released in full; it was that good.

Any of you had similar experiences (with Brooooce or with others)?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 01:36:11 AM »

He is the best live performer I ever saw and I've seen a lot of the great live acts.  Some others were good for a night or good for a while but not for anything like this period of time.   He doesn't get much love here though for some reason but that's ok.  He still has plenty of places to play where he fills an arena and one of those places is where I live (S. Calif.).  I don't like the way Brendan O'Brian (and I suppose Bruce) are mixing these recent albums.  Nothing personal you understand, Brendan is a made guy, but the vocals are too buried down into or under the track for me, - but I didn't have a vote.  I did hear a better non-lp mixed version of "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" and it was great.  "Girls" is a Brian Wilson Pet Sounds influenced track - so says Bruce as a matter of fact. So is "Queen of the Supermarket" (lyrically) off the current lp.  I would have thought that only Brian Wilson could have written this.  A "Love You - 2009" track.  Who would have thought this would come from Bruce?  Maybe i'm the only person who wish's Bruce would get Brian to produce (and mix) him.               
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 01:37:23 AM by mikee » Logged
Jason
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:30:11 AM »

Ahhhhhhhh yes, the Bruce Springsteen Loves You album...farting synthesizers, cheesy lyrics, and raspy vocals everywhere. Except it would probably suck.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 03:49:46 AM »

He is the best live performer I ever saw and I've seen a lot of the great live acts.  Some others were good for a night or good for a while but not for anything like this period of time.   He doesn't get much love here though for some reason but that's ok.  He still has plenty of places to play where he fills an arena and one of those places is where I live (S. Calif.).  I don't like the way Brendan O'Brian (and I suppose Bruce) are mixing these recent albums.  Nothing personal you understand, Brendan is a made guy, but the vocals are too buried down into or under the track for me, - but I didn't have a vote.  I did hear a better non-lp mixed version of "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" and it was great.  "Girls" is a Brian Wilson Pet Sounds influenced track - so says Bruce as a matter of fact. So is "Queen of the Supermarket" (lyrically) off the current lp.  I would have thought that only Brian Wilson could have written this.  A "Love You - 2009" track.  Who would have thought this would come from Bruce?  Maybe i'm the only person who wish's Bruce would get Brian to produce (and mix) him.               

Nice call. I share your feelings re: Brendan O'Brien. Perhaps the dynamics are compressed to suit general car radio play, or the average MP3 gadget?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx