gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:45:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caribou Fire Tapes NOT Lost?  (Read 6496 times)
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2009, 12:09:55 PM »

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=138434&highlight=beach+boy+tapes+lost+fire

See this thread on the Hoffman board. Started a year ago. Still, interesting if you haven't seen it. Author, who had access to the ranch, claims no tapes were lost in the fire. Interesting reading.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 12:59:01 PM »

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=138434&highlight=beach+boy+tapes+lost+fire

See this thread on the Hoffman board. Started a year ago. Still, interesting if you haven't seen it. Author, who had access to the ranch, claims no tapes were lost in the fire. Interesting reading.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Maybe the Beachago Tour tapes and parts of the aborted 1974 sessions still exist, then!!!!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 01:21:52 PM »

i'm kinda touchy right now on the subject of fire and tapes burning up......  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 01:41:35 PM »

I'm sure Alan Boys tried to contact Guercio about any tape he could have. But Guercio is Guercio.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »

JG definitely has Beachago live tapes...I thought that was common knowledge.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »

Most tragically, "Battle Hymn Of The Republic" survived.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 06:03:50 AM »

I hope JG releases the BB music he has soon.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 09:32:05 AM »

Hard to believe that  those haven't slipped out to someone over the years.  Seems like nearly everything else has surfaced with much of it widely held by collectors.

I wonder if they would be of good quality.   Such as soundboard recordings?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 09:33:29 AM »

i'm kinda touchy right now on the subject of fire and tapes burning up......  Smiley
[/quote

"sigh"
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 09:46:40 AM »

Hard to believe that  those haven't slipped out to someone over the years.  Seems like nearly everything else has surfaced with much of it widely held by collectors.

I would've sworn I read somewhere that the Beachago shows were recorded for a possible live album.

I know for sure that an audience recording of the Madison Square Garden Beachago show is in circulation, or at least the Beach Boys part of the show.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 10:38:23 AM »

It was recorded at several venues - there's footage of Phil Ramone engineering with two synched 24-tracks -  and a release was tentatively discussed, but the legalistics were apparently horrific.

As for the tapes turning up, some did a few years ago, in Jimmy G's possession... but I'm told they're from just one of the 24-tracks, ergo literally half of the songs are missing - that is, not half of the set, but half of the recording of one song. Where are the other reels ? No idea.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 11:04:12 AM »

As for the tapes turning up, some did a few years ago, in Jimmy G's possession... but I'm told they're from just one of the 24-tracks, ergo literally half of the songs are missing - that is, not half of the set, but half of the recording of one song. Where are the other reels ? No idea.
I think he has located the whole thing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 12:06:17 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...  Grin

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 01:13:04 PM »

That seems to bring it fulll circle to the conclusion of previous such discussions onthe topic.

I would think this would be marketable.  Maybe that is why it has not surfaced as a boot?

With both Chicago and The BeachBoys both on the road and selling well at a number of large venues across the country, it would seem that NOW is the time.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 02:48:44 PM »

I hope they would be multi tracks (as AGD mentioned) and not soundboards.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 03:27:47 AM »

I'm of to purchase a new keyboard. The drooling (with all those super-conductive sodium and potassium ions in it) just exploded.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 01:28:28 PM »

- there's footage of Phil Ramone engineering with two synced 24-tracks - 

That footage is from a fairly decent documentary that was done on the Beachago tours.
The ftg. of Phil, where he's switching between 24 track machines, is, I think, some of the only
that's been seen from the show; (& where was it used???)

I used it extensively in a video presentation I did for Lorne Michaels way-back-when, that was
intended for his special "It's O.K.", that I called "15 Big Ones", and I know that's been booted... 
But apparently the show itself is rather rare;  I'm pretty sure it was called "Fun, Fun, Fun".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 02:47:35 AM »

- there's footage of Phil Ramone engineering with two synced 24-tracks - 

That footage is from a fairly decent documentary that was done on the Beachago tours.
The ftg. of Phil, where he's switching between 24 track machines, is, I think, some of the only
that's been seen from the show; (& where was it used???)

I used it extensively in a video presentation I did for Lorne Michaels way-back-when, that was
intended for his special "It's O.K.", that I called "15 Big Ones", and I know that's been booted... 
But apparently the show itself is rather rare;  I'm pretty sure it was called "Fun, Fun, Fun".

The main topic of the doc was - sit down, you won't believe this - the logistics of the Beachago tour: transport, setting up/breaking down the stages and so on. The music was distinctly a secondary consideration, although there was a short performance clip right at the end - maybe 30 seconds worth of, I think, "FFF". The whole thing is about 30 minutes. I've seen the whole thing several times down the years, mostly in the homes of fans.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 06:10:08 AM »

The main topic of the doc was - sit down, you won't believe this - the logistics of the Beachago tour: transport, setting up/breaking down the stages and so on. The music was distinctly a secondary consideration, although there was a short performance clip right at the end - maybe 30 seconds worth of, I think, "FFF". The whole thing is about 30 minutes. I've seen the whole thing several times down the years, mostly in the homes of fans.

I have it on tape somewhere, albeit in average quality. Great doc even if the music isn't the primary subject. Fragments of Catch A Wave, Good Vibrations, Feeling Stronger Everyday (with CW and Guercio joining on the mic) and Fun Fun Fun pass by.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
lukpac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 07:25:08 AM »

It was recorded at several venues - there's footage of Phil Ramone engineering with two synched 24-tracks -  and a release was tentatively discussed, but the legalistics were apparently horrific.

Is there any further information about these recordings, the missing tapes, etc? I ask because here's the documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy7UZ5nYdmU

At 8:41 you can in fact see two multitrack machines, but they aren't being run in sync, they are being run for overlap. That is, two tape machines recording exactly the same content, but with one machine starting a bit later than the other one, so reel changes could be made without missing anything (when the reel on one machine was being changed, the other machine would still be recording). Note how the reel on the machine on the right is being changed while the machine on the left is still recording.

That said, it's very hard to see, but I think there may actually be 4 machines present. There are the two machines shown at 8:41, immediately to the left of the equipment rack, which appear to be Ampex machines. But starting around 6:01, you can see two more machines to the left of those (which are mostly behind people in that shot). It's hard to tell with absolute certainty, but they appear to be 3M M56 16-track machines; note the "Isoloop" transports and meter bridges above the transports. Presumably these were being run in sync with the main 24-track machines to cover the additional mics during the encores?

I guess it's *those* 16-track tapes that were/are MIA? Or have they been located?
lukpac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 08:56:15 AM »

Responding to myself, in case anyone else comes along wondering. From The Beach Boys in Concert!: The Complete History of America's Band On Tour and Onstage:

"Ramone, stationed in the Washington Bullets' locker room, taped four of the shows (June 25-28). Alan Boyd, custodian of the Beach Boys archives, stated that in his opinion, these are some of the best live performances by the group that he's heard. Unfortunately, the album was never released due to the legal difficulties that occur when opposing record companies are involved. After many years where their whereabouts were unknown, the tapes of the group's performances are now safely ensconced in their vaults. Boyd noted that they 'are missing the Beach Boys' tracks for the encores. When both bands took the stage, they ended up running a pair of 2 inch machines in sync: the main 24-track deck, and an additional 16 track to record the Beach Boys' vocals and instruments. The Chicago portions of the encores were sent to Warners (along with the tapes of the main shows) as part of an ongoing legal settlement a few years back, but the Beach Boys' 16-track encore reels somehow didn't make the trip...We're not completely sure as to their exact whereabouts, but we think they exist'."

Boyd is apparently slightly off (actually being *two* pair of 2 inch machines, for 4 machines total), but the general idea is correct.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx