gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:09:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lima, Ohio  (Read 2651 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2009, 06:03:08 AM »

The Jardines lived in Lima, Ohio before moving to California shortly after Al's birth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lima,_Ohio#Lima_in_myth_and_legend

It totally makes sense that Al was raised by people who lived in a place like that.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:33:21 AM »

or not

that's a pretty broad brush stroke if it's not a joke.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:47:07 AM »

Yeah, I just thought it was funny that Lima's place in pop culture is as a town full of backwards, boring idiots.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:17:34 PM »

I have relatives in Lima and it really is a boring, sterilized, sanitized whitewashed town. High culture there is an SUV, a big screen TV, golf, and Abercrombie clothes. Like most places, I guess.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 01:53:38 PM »

I grew up the next county over from Lima and it pretty much is everything you guys say it is, but welcome to the rural midwest.

For clarities sake, Al's family didn't actually live in Lima, I believe they lived in a farm house off of State Route 117.  I don't think they did any actual farming though.  My grandpa is a fire chief in a nieghboring township so it would probably be pretty easy to confirm that, but I have some merchandise I got from the early days because someone that my grandpa knew knew the Jardine family or something.  They had an Al Jardine day in Lima in August, 1993.  The whole band (-Brian, natch) was in the area because they played a show the next night at the Columbus Zoo (about a 90 minute drive) but none of them were in attendance for Al's honor.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:23:46 PM »

but none of them were in attendance for Al's honor.
Not even Al himself?

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:27:18 AM »

Is that why Ohio features in 'Back Home'?

Just asking.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 07:30:40 AM »

Not even Al himself?

Al was there, along with his kids, but no other band members or anything
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 04:25:35 PM »

My parents were born & raised in Lima and when they were in their early 20s moved away. After years & years of being away, they moved the fam back to Lima when I was about 11. I've [unfourtanley] been here since, with the few exceptions of me moving out.  & I wasnt born here.

But anyway, Lima is verrrrrry boring & hum drum. Its just like any other small "city" in the midwest. Its no different then a city in PA, IN, MI.

Lol pretty much the only thing I have to brag about this city is the fact that Al is from here or from the area [as someone said Al's family actually lived out in the country outterskirts of Lima.]

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 12:02:22 AM »

Lol pretty much the only thing I have to brag about this city is the fact that Al is from here

So was the late and great hall of fame jazz musician Joe Henderson.  He was one of the very best tenor sax players in history.  He had an amazing ability to make simple music - sound complex, and to make complex music - sound simple.  He was a BlueNote superstar.   

I'm curious to know what enlightened areas the critics above call home?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:04:59 AM by mikee » Logged
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 02:28:51 AM »

Gary Griffin is from Ohio too!
 1975 Reds aka The Big Red
 Machine.... The Best!
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 10:06:56 AM »

Don't get down on Ohio, it is a great place to live.  I am from around Bellefontaine (right down the road) very similar, but at least Lima has more than two restaurants and it has a mall, it sucks, but hey, it's still a mall.  I just finished my master's at Ohio State and live in the Columbus suburbs now and it's great.

By the way Phyllis Diller is also from Lima
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 12:30:38 PM »

Ohio is a large state with a lot of variety in landscape and culture.  And Joe Walsh is from Waverly.  Believe it or not, Cincinatti and Cleveland are FUN places!  And the little communities that dot the farmlands still look like they are out of a Twilight Zone small town setting......

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx