gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:15:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Love You
5 - 120 (54.3%)
4 - 63 (28.5%)
3 - 23 (10.4%)
2 - 6 (2.7%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 4 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Love You  (Read 170585 times)
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2006, 07:13:48 PM »

Perhaps one of the most simple yet beautiful american albums showing Brian where he really was at that time.  I highly enjoy this little oddball gem.  One of my all time faves.
JoeP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2006, 03:34:41 PM »

There are some interesting things on Love You and some great moments, but it's hard for me to listen to this one. The Night is So Young is a classic...
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2006, 11:36:11 AM »

A deeply flawed album, but what's good is great.

BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2006, 05:09:10 PM »

A masterpiece, weird new wave synth pop rock album, a disturbing but fascinating musical portrait of Brian Wilson in the mid seventies, 5/5.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2006, 01:02:03 PM »

What is known about the recording of "Love You"?  What was the mindset of the Beach Boys at that time? 

I know a majority of us here have a fondness for the album.  And I'm not knocking it in any way.  I just wonder what the other guys thought of it.  They were used to Brian being masterful in the studio, and here comes this album.  Mike thought "Pet Sounds" had nausiating lyrics?  What did these guys do when Brian showed them "Mona," "Johnny Carson," "Ding Dang" ??

Were the guys humoring him?  Did they really love this stuff?  I'd be interested to know.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2006, 01:06:05 PM »

There's  a tape of Brian demoing new material for the band at Brother in 1976. Initially, you can almost hear the atmosphere solidifying... until he plays "I'll Bet He's Nice", at which the rest of the band pretty much dissolve. His crooning on "Airplane" has to be heard to be believed.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2006, 01:29:38 PM »

I have some questions about this subject in to engineer Earle Mankey.  Perhaps he'll have an interesting angle.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2006, 01:31:06 PM »

There's  a tape of Brian demoing new material for the band at Brother in 1976. Initially, you can almost hear the atmosphere solidifying... until he plays "I'll Bet He's Nice", at which the rest of the band pretty much dissolve. His crooning on "Airplane" has to be heard to be believed.

for the love of GOD where I can listen to stuff like this???

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2006, 01:32:10 PM »

On your stereo.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2006, 01:32:22 PM »

Love You and Adult/Child were the best material the band had been given by Brian since Sunflower. It's no wonder their jaws dropped.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2006, 01:32:54 PM »

Except for Til I Die and Sailor.

Jason
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2006, 01:35:57 PM »

I would love to know the extent to which Brian participated in the creation of Sail On Sailor. I read it as it was a collaboration between Brian, Tandyn Almer, and Ray Kennedy in 1971-72, which was left unfinished. Van Dyke Parks then added a middle-eight and structured the song while Jack Rieley added some new lyrics (presumably the original lyrics were Almer's). Unless Ray Kennedy provided some of the music, I don't think Brian's participation in Sail On Sailor is noteworthy.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2006, 01:43:16 PM »

On your stereo.

really? I need to return this toaster then...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2006, 02:01:26 PM »

So does this mean that the band LIKED all that stuff or not?

Sorry to be so dense!

Glenn
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2006, 02:17:27 PM »

No, it's pretty obvious that the reaction to stuff like "Still I Dream Of It" and "Mona" was negative, which I guess is why Brian did his crooner bit on "Airplane" - he figured he'd blown it anyway so why not have some fun ? Then he played (on the Piano)  "I'll Bet He's Nice", and the guys just about fell down. And rightly so.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2006, 02:33:46 PM »

for the love of GOD where I can listen to stuff like this???

Ditto.

Andrew, ever since you mentioned that in your book, I've been wondering where the heck I can hear this tape, as well.

How? Anything with Brian at the piano is classic, IMO.

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2006, 02:47:27 PM »

No, it's pretty obvious that the reaction to stuff like "Still I Dream Of It" and "Mona" was negative, which I guess is why Brian did his crooner bit on "Airplane" - he figured he'd blown it anyway so why not have some fun ? Then he played (on the Piano)  "I'll Bet He's Nice", and the guys just about fell down. And rightly so.

If they disliked this stuff so much... why in the world did they put so much of it out?

And I was under the impression that the band (and you) actually LIKED "I'll Bet He's Nice."  Am I misremembering?

Glenn
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2006, 03:30:42 PM »

I thought so, too. The quote from his book mentions "jaws dropping" on IBHN.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2006, 04:32:23 PM »

I think he means in a good way.
The demos are incredible.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2006, 04:35:28 PM »

sh*t, ALL of it was incredible. Well, with the possible exception being Mona, which was "just" pretty good.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2006, 05:22:30 PM »

I just listened to the demos again. As Mr. Doe pointed out, no comments from the band (though I don't necessarily think that means they were unimpressed) on "That Special Feeling," or "It's Over Now." He then plays "They're Marching Along," and you can hear Mike start to sing along at towards the end on the "Hey little children, they're marching along" line. Mike then comments at the end, "That's a nice spiritual song." His tone of voice doesn't sound sarcastic, but I guess he could be. No comments on "Love is a Woman" or "Mona." Then Brian goes into "Airplane," and Mike seems to love it, saying, "I WANT that lead! If I don't get that lead, I f-cking quit the group, how about that!" Someone (Mike?) sings along at the end of "Let's Put Our Hearts Together," and afterwards Mike says, "Wow! That knowcks me out! Those two are bitches! Are those going on this album?" Brian replies, "Yep,"  and Mike sighs, "God! Whew!" Mike sings along on the "You my pretty darling" parts on "I'll Bet He's Nice" and just starts hollering and making all kinds of noises with excitement at the bridge. He seems to just LOVE this song! At the end he says "Sh-t! That is a mother-fu-ker!" Then someone in the background says, "It's a WILSON song," and Mike replies, "No f-cking sh-t, he ain't messing around!"

These demos are absolutely ESSENTIAL! They're just amazing! I just might happen to have a friend who might, if you ask him kindly enough through a PM, be willing to send some of you who haven't heard them, some mp3s.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2006, 05:24:52 PM »

I'll send them through AIM. I've got a few more hours left of my night i'll be online.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Chris D.
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2006, 05:28:37 PM »

merda, ALL of it was incredible. Well, with the possible exception being Mona, which was "just" pretty good.

No, they're all incredible.

"It's a WILSON song," and Mike replies, "No f-cking sh-t, he ain't messing around!"

Ripshit, babies.  Ripshit.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2006, 08:07:44 PM »

I appreciate everyones responses here.  I would love to hear these demos as well.
Please PM me if anyone has information on this. 
I really lack a lot of essential unreleased Beach Boys recordings and that
makes me feel very incomplete.  Sigh..  maybe one day.

Mike asking Brian if those two songs are going on the album shows that Brian is
controlling this.  If I can read into that, it didn't matter if "Mona" and "Johnny Carson"
didn't floor the band, they were committed to doing what Brian wanted.  Which
sure would have been nice in 1967.
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2006, 08:13:56 PM »

Well, he didn't play "Johnny Carson" (I wish he had!). One of the reasons "Mona" might not have gone over as well as the others (and we aren't even sure it didn't) is because Brian messed up every five seconds as he was playing it.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx