gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:33:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Love You
5 - 120 (54.3%)
4 - 63 (28.5%)
3 - 23 (10.4%)
2 - 6 (2.7%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 4 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Love You  (Read 170524 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 21, 2015, 04:20:26 AM »

I seem to have already voted on it without comment----I hope it was a good vote.   

You should score each track like Mike's Beard has as you don't remember voting.  Tongue

I'm not a track-by-track reviewer. I'll just assume it was a good vote. Grin 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: November 21, 2015, 09:13:22 AM »

I'll just assume it was a good vote. Grin 

I'll take your word it was then.  Afro
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 09, 2016, 12:30:08 PM »

I gave Love You another listen this evening while dining.

Say what you like about this board but if it hadn't been for Smiley I would not be the great fan of this album that I am today.

Thank you so much, folks, for converting me!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 09, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »

I gave Love You another listen this evening while dining.

Say what you like about this board but if it hadn't been for Smiley I would not be the great fan of this album that I am today.

Thank you so much, folks, for converting me!

Nice one man, it's an album that is so close to my heart. It's the album I put on when I'm in  a bad mood and need to cheer up...

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 22, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »

I just listened to this album for the first time in decades and......I still don't like it. I won't go on why but I'm in the camp with the people who think of it as pretty darn bad. I'm so out of touch with Love You that right away I found "Good Time" to stand out as one of the few bright spots with Brian sounding good on it and to my surprise.. you all know the reason why.

To my point, this guy Peter Buck in the liner notes says it's Brian singing on Mona. Isn't it Dennis? I played it back three times. He also says Mike's vocal on airplane is one of his best ever...sorry but, who else seriously thinks that?
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 22, 2016, 04:59:47 PM »

I just listened to this album for the first time in decades and......I still don't like it. I won't go on why but I'm in the camp with the people who think of it as pretty darn bad. I'm so out of touch with Love You that right away I found "Good Time" to stand out as one of the few bright spots with Brian sounding good on it and to my surprise.. you all know the reason why.

To my point, this guy Peter Buck in the liner notes says it's Brian singing on Mona. Isn't it Dennis? I played it back three times. He also says Mike's vocal on airplane is one of his best ever...sorry but, who else seriously thinks that?

That guy is Peter Buck, lead guitarist from R.E.M., and yes it is Dennis singing but I can't blame him for getting it wrong given Brian's vocals at this point. Mike's lead on Johnny Carson is better than his lead on Airplane, and along with Al's lead on Honkin Down The Highway, are the best vocals on the entire album.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 25, 2016, 09:06:44 AM »

Thanks. Pretty bad mistake for someone claiming to be such a fan of the album.

I listened to the whole thing again and from a composition standpoint I can understand the praise but that's all. The production, vocals, lyrics......the whole thing sounds like a demo.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 09, 2016, 10:34:54 PM »

I listened to the whole thing again and from a composition standpoint I can understand the praise but that's all. The production, vocals, lyrics......the whole thing sounds like a demo.
I would agree with that. There are some good tunes there if someone had written better lyrics for them, and if the whole package was professionally sung and produced. I gave it another listen tonight, thinking "maybe I've been wrong about this album" after reading all the praise of it here. Nope. I still don't like it.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 10, 2016, 08:41:03 AM »

I would agree with that. There are some good tunes there if someone had written better lyrics for them, and if the whole package was professionally sung and produced. I gave it another listen tonight, thinking "maybe I've been wrong about this album" after reading all the praise of it here. Nope. I still don't like it.
For all it's warts, it is a "State of Brian" album. Where he was at writing, producing and arranging. It's demo quality sparseness gives it an edge that lacks on most post 1967 albums. I have loved it since the first time I heard Carl growl out that "Yeah" to start off the album.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 10, 2016, 08:53:57 AM »

For all it's warts, it is a "State of Brian" album. Where he was at writing, producing and arranging.

That's a great way to put it, and I've always maintained the same argument. It's a true statement of Brian Wilson the man and the artist as he was in 1976. It's an important document for anyone interested in Brian's body of work.
The Loud Braggart
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 01, 2017, 08:40:51 AM »

I’ve been reading on this board for a bit now and I’m impressed by the high level at which everyone is speaking about the BBs music, and some even making their own bootlegs. Don’t expect a very profound review from me, I’m just a kid, dealing with my own share of mental illness. Well technically I’m just grown now but my brain is dragging me down most of the time.

I wanted to love this album. It’s because I love the cover art and always when that’s the case, I also like what’s inside. So I gave it a listen, but I got bored by everything except for Ding Dang, which is accessible in its whole lightheartedness and jolliness.

So I wasn’t very fond of it, initially. The BBs usually do better on vocals and the lyrics are even dumber than usual… Then I read through all the comments here, about how you’re missing something great if you just don’t get its beauty. I gave it another go, especially because of mr_oleary’s comment and I’m glad I did. I now especially like I’ll Bet He’s Nice, Good Time, Johnny Carson and Honkin’ Down the Highway. And Solar System is a nice thing too. Numerating all planets and saying something about them, now isn’t that sheer fun? But still, nothing tops the 58 seconds of Ding Dang. I don’t know what it is about this album that it has to grow on you.

I still find The Night Was So Young slightly disappointing, despite all the praise and recommendations it gets here. Mona is nice but repetitive and I think I will soon grow tired from it. The lyrics on Roller Skating Child are so wrong, sung by the Beach… Men, meantime, but for some reason I can take it and don’t find it at all as cringy as the less crazy/remarkable/paedophile/what else to call it When a Man Needs a Woman from Friends, where Carl gives his son “the talk” way too early. I also think the earlier recorded songs Good Time and if I remember it right Ding Dang fit in very nicely with the rest of the music and even much improve it.

I’m now discovering the later albums of the Beach Boys (it’s great btw) and I’ve now recently been listening to Friends, Holland and Love You. All great and quite consistent, however, there’s nothing on them that stands out for me as much as the Smile stuff for example and all the many hits before that. Even though people either love or hate Love You, I seem to be somewhere in between and give it a 3.5.
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 01, 2017, 09:11:56 AM »

Braggart:  You have slight mental illness of the good kind, as I hope I do. Thank you for your honest remarks.
For Love You, try to draw up the history of garage/punk.  Louie Louie...Hang on Sloopy...Rockaway Beach.
Love You is Brian recognizing that and adding his own peculiarity.  And his band's voices.  Very good things!
The Loud Braggart
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 25, 2017, 03:12:50 AM »

Wow,thanks ! After 2 years of terrible struggling, a new doctor and new medicines are making me better and I could recover completely. And I’m going to check those out. About those voices, not all of them are worse than usual. I think Mike sounds great throughout the whole album, especially on Airplane. Good song that’s growing on me right now. The ending reminds me of A day in the life from The Beatles.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx