gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:36:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Love You
5 - 120 (54.3%)
4 - 63 (28.5%)
3 - 23 (10.4%)
2 - 6 (2.7%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 4 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Love You  (Read 170494 times)
aerolls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 17, 2011, 09:22:42 PM »

Wow, 4 songs in and it only took a half of a spin--I'm a Believer I Love Beach Boys Love You.  If Smile is Brian's Lost Masterpiece, Beach Boys Love You is BW's Forgotten Masterpiece. Grin 

OK. Honestly. From my heart, really.
I'd like to have someone here who feels up to the task, write up a review (while listening to this album, as I did) and support each track and give it's weaknesses & strengths. Someone who really thinks this release is the work of art that 95% of BB's fans believe it really is. Someone who has a personal attachment to it. I don't see it and I want some rationale. Who's game?
Ian? Luther? Jason? Donald?
Make it shine!

I might even reciprocate with a glowing review of KTSA!    Cool
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 19, 2011, 06:51:42 PM »

I think this album is awesome and kinda is Pet Sounds Part 2.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
aerolls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 20, 2011, 08:04:32 AM »

L.Y. is definitely one of Brian's forgotten masterpieces. It's a dynamic fun album that brings out Brian's unbridled enthusiasm towards his love of woman and song!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 24, 2011, 11:34:39 AM »

Half this album is Amazing.
The other half just proves how amazing the rest is (hahaha)!

My favorite track is probably "Lets put our hearts together" because the lyrics are so... Legit... So true that it... hurts!

However, I do believe this album is not all great (RSC, Honkin'...)

Johnny Carson is fantastic, along with "Let us"

3/5 Very good, but the vocals really kill some of the songs (Poor Brian...)

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 24, 2011, 11:44:41 AM »

Half this album is Amazing.
The other half just proves how amazing the rest is (hahaha)!

My favorite track is probably "Lets put our hearts together" because the lyrics are so... Legit... So true that it... hurts!

However, I do believe this album is not all great (RSC, Honkin'...)

Johnny Carson is fantastic, along with "Let us"

3/5 Very good, but the vocals really kill some of the songs (Poor Brian...)
Amazing the difference in taste, your "not all great" are two of my favorites. My least favorites (but don't hate) are Love Is A Woman and Mona. RSC is Mike's best vocal since Holland and there are none after Love You.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 24, 2011, 11:54:05 AM »

I think that Love You is amazing for that one reason, that there are tracks for EVERYONE and someone might love one song, but hate someone else favorite...

So cool right? haha

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 24, 2011, 04:31:49 PM »

I still think the only really bad song on the album is "Love Is A Woman". The rest are all excellent to good (if not 'very good')!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 24, 2011, 07:36:31 PM »

Ahh... Everyone has Opinions, but... I'd have to disagree :D

ghost
« Reply #283 on: September 16, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »

Take off Good Time and what you have is the perfect album. Not a fan of Good Time - actually I prefer BW's gruff voice to his 1970ish Good Time voice.

GOD PLEASE
LET US GO ON
god please let us go on this way ay
GOD PLEASE
LET US GO ON
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 16, 2011, 11:22:47 AM »

Take off Good Time and what you have is the perfect album. Not a fan of Good Time - actually I prefer BW's gruff voice to his 1970ish Good Time voice.

GOD PLEASE
LET US GO ON
god please let us go on this way ay
GOD PLEASE
LET US GO ON

The Good Time mix on Landlocked is much better. You can hear the background vocals much clearer and Mike's parts are very cool; the "dit, dit, dit, dit what do we care..." part.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 21, 2011, 02:44:01 PM »

On question has bugged me for a long time regarding this album: ... so, why is it that everyone's slurring their words and lisping on Johnny Carson???
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 24, 2011, 02:00:22 AM »

OK. Honestly. From my heart, really.
I'd like to have someone here who feels up to the task, write up a review (while listening to this album, as I did) and support each track and give it's weaknesses & strengths. Someone who really thinks this release is the work of art that 95% of BB's fans believe it really is. Someone who has a personal attachment to it. I don't see it and I want some rationale. Who's game?

As a Brian Wilson obsessive of 25 years who's never posted here before, allow me to take the plunge.

Let Us Go On This Way. Rough-as-guts mid-70s drum machine, big blurting bass synths, fist-pumping c*ck-rocker intro from ... Carl Wilson? I'm sure we all remember our inaugural Beach Boys Love You "WTF?" moment kicking in before the second bar of the first song was through. Tellingly, closer examination reveals it to be a minor work of genius: not because it's one of Brian's most subtle works of song craft, but because it's carried aloft by one grand moment of inspiration - the sublimely expansive chorus, and the way it plays off against the monolithic crudity of the verse and the middle-eight. Five stars.

Roller Skating Child. An excellent case study of what makes this album so bizarre: whereas Brian believed himself to be communicating with a young audience that shared his glee-club and locker-room vision of adolescence, he was actually displaying his alienation from contemporary reality and all the emotional disturbance that got him there. As Robert Christgau put it in his marvellous review: "As for the words, well, they're often pretty silly, but even (especially) when they're designed to appeal to whatever Brian imagines to be the rock audience they reveal a lot more about the artist than most lyrics do." Similar things could of course be said of the BBs' teen fantasies of the 1960s, which nobody begrudges for being unreflective of Brian's reality at the time. If only a wiser head had been at hand to edit the lyrics (wise heads being in regrettably short supply throughout the Brian Wilson saga), and the production given a bit more spit and polish, this could have been the hit Brian's ego so desperately needed. Its failure to be released as a single can only have been an act of sabotage on Warners' part. Five stars.

Mona. A disappointing comedown after such a marvellous start. For all the money they were paying him, you'd think Eugene Landy might have got it together to order Brian to finish the song before he was allowed to record it (and rewrite the Phil Spector verse while he was at it). And even in the best of circumstances, Dennis wouldn't have suited this material at all. Two stars.

Johnny Carson. The apotheosis of the album's inspired silliness for many, but I've always found its melodic charms rather too slight. Bonus star though for "It's nice to have you on the show tonight/I seen your act in Vegas - outasight!" Three stars.

Good Time. While it's a shame that an album as singular as this should be blighted by a song which sits so clearly outside its schema, it's interesting how it *almost* fits in. I didn't spot anything amiss the first time I heard the album - indeed, I found it one of the few things that immediately appealed. It's a reminder that Brian's artistic frame of mind had its roots long before the Landy era, but had been stymied (for better or worse) by Jack Rieley and his determination to burden the band with a "heavy" image in keeping with the mood of the times. Three stars.

Honkin' Down The Highway. Slight, but blessed with a groove that was nicely exploited on Radio Sweethearts' country-rock cover on the Caroline Now! tribute album. Cursed, however, with the line "take it one little inch at a time now/'til we're feeling fine now". Three stars.

Ding Dang. I still await an explanation as to how it could have taken two people to have written this - and how one of those two people could have been Roger McGuinn. Three stars.

Solar System. An unpolished gem, and the Beach Boys track I most commonly turn to when drunk. I never tire of the way the melody escalates a step with each line of the verse before opening out to infinity on the chorus, but the song's charm runs deeper than that - it's in the way the lyrics and the melody fuse into a perfect expression of Brian's childlike guilelessness. Five stars.

The Night Was So Young. The guitar figure on the verses is an annoyance, which is a shame as the song otherwise earns its reputation as ballad to match his mid-1960s work. To throw a bone to the album's critics, I have to acknowledge the harmonic complexity of the chorus calls attention to the disappointing lack of same elsewhere on the album. The raggedness of its execution also reminds us that no one in the band was at the peak of their vocal form at the time - Brian would sound smoother a year later on the otherwise wretched MIU Album, Dennis was well into his decline, Carl was hitting the bottle and it showed, Mike's nasality had lost its charm some time earlier, Bruce wasn't at hand to fill out the sound, and Al hardly matters (I can only clearly discern him on Honkin' Down The Highway anyway). Four stars.

I'll Bet His Nice. Each of this album's marvels presents the potential admirer with a hurdle to clear, and in this case it's the asinine opening couplet (reprised at the end). But the patience required to absorb the song in its entirety rewards the listener with one of the glories of Brian's entire canon: a sublime middle-eight beautifully rendered by Carl. Four stars.

Let's Put Our Hearts Together. Melodically sure-footed, but sappy: its open-hearted musical context gives its painful lyrical clunkers no place to hide. Three stars.

I Wanna Pick You Up. I'm charmed by this song's naivete, and it's always nice to hear accordions on a Beach Boys record - particularly on an album as starved for instrumental colour as this one. However, I generally don't care for Dennis's vocal performances on Love You, probably because we have Pacific Ocean Blue to place his voice of the time in a very different and entirely more appropriate context. Nor should talk of pre-adolescent butt-patting have made it past the gatekeepers. Three stars.

Airplane. A delight, mostly because it shows Brian still able to pull off a quite complex song structure. The "airplane, airplane, carry me back to her side" bit is one of the album's high points, and the coda is just stupid enough to work. Four stars.

Love is a Woman. Not difficult to see why this is the hardest track for the album's admirers to make apologies for: it's graceless, and not in a cute way. God knows what anyone was thinking when they allowed Brian to perform it on Saturday Night Live. For all that, I do have a sneaking fondness for the "one two three, she's falling in love with me" bit, which is one of a number of occasions on the album where an unexpectedly inspired mid-section places a flattering complexion on the material that surrounds it. Two stars.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 04:45:09 AM by William Bowe » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 24, 2011, 08:29:29 AM »

Mona. A disappointing comedown after such a marvellous start. For all the money they were paying him, you'd think Eugene Landy might have got it together to order Brian to finish the song before he was allowed to record it (and rewrite the Phil Spector verse while he was at it). And even in the best of circumstances, Dennis wouldn't have suited this material at all. Two stars.

Johnny Carson. The apotheosis of the album's inspired silliness for many, but I've always found its melodic charms rather too slight. Bonus star though for "It's nice to have you on the show tonight/I seen your act in Vegas - outasight!" Three stars.
seriously
Jason
« Reply #288 on: September 24, 2011, 11:36:04 AM »

There isn't a single drum machine on this record.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 24, 2011, 11:52:40 AM »

Just Dennis' "clubbing". It works wonderful on Love You. It gives the album a bit of a garage band sound.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 24, 2011, 12:22:46 PM »

I thought Brian played most of the drums....
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 01, 2011, 10:45:09 AM »

I do beg your pardon - though I'm evidently not alone in the misapprenshion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honkin%27_Down_The_Highway
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 01, 2011, 11:21:56 AM »

I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong, but that is our dear Dennis pounding those skins, at least to my ear. Jon, AGD, help! Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2011, 02:36:37 AM »

No, you're right - on the 'alternate' mix, you can hear him counting off iirc

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jason
« Reply #294 on: October 04, 2011, 03:48:43 PM »

Wikipedia is not a source.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 04, 2011, 10:48:02 PM »

I am not disputing that you're correct, merely pointing out that there are other people who think they hear drum machines on the record.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #296 on: October 05, 2011, 06:12:06 AM »

Dennis is playing on "Honking". Brian probably plays on everything else (except "Good Time" of course). Anybody know for sure? Who plays sax on LIAW for instance? Would be nice to know all of the details on that album as it is one of my favorites.
Jason
« Reply #297 on: October 07, 2011, 12:17:12 PM »

I am not disputing that you're correct, merely pointing out that there are other people who think they hear drum machines on the record.

Other people are so accustomed to drum machines that they don't know real ones when they hear them.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 16, 2011, 06:16:57 PM »

1. Let Us Go On This Way 10/10
2. Roller Skating Child 10/10
3. Mona 9.5/10
4. Johnny Carson 8.5/10
5. Good Time 7.5/10
6. Honkin' Down The Highway 7/10
7. Ding Dang 8/10
8. Solar System 10/10
9. The Night Was So Young 10/10
10. I'll Bet He's Nice 10/10
11. Let's Put Our Hearts Together 8.5/10
12. I Wanna Pick You Up 8.5/10
13. Airplane 10/10
14. Love Is A Woman 7/10

Album Rating: 8.89

A discipline daddy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 17, 2011, 12:56:51 AM »

Shush.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx