gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:46:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Love You
5 - 120 (54.3%)
4 - 63 (28.5%)
3 - 23 (10.4%)
2 - 6 (2.7%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 4 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Love You  (Read 170490 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 24, 2005, 11:39:53 AM »

Discuss, review and rate The Beach Boys Love You, released April 1977.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 02:53:45 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 11:40:58 AM »

Sleepyhappygrumpydopeysneezybashfuldoc.

Great stuff.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 11:43:14 AM »

The first new wave album. That's good enough for me.
st2580smile
Smiley Smile Associate

It is such a fine line between clever and stupid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 04:11:36 PM »

When this LP arrived at my record store in 1979 it was played till the grooves were gone.
It also chased my customers away until The Knack Lp (don't figure...).
To this day even my Beach Boy buddies think I'm nuts..
Great record!
Pete
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 12:39:29 PM »

What can one say about this album?  Apparently anything.  Best. Worst.  Weirdest.  Beachboys album.  Brian solo album.  Spooky. Raw. Childlike.  Masterpiece.  Embarassment.  Rock. Disco. Retro.
Experimental. 

I never seem to get enough of it.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 06:04:33 PM »

Today on Maury Povich: Beach Boys Love You album... What went wrong? Track by track.

Let Us Go On-  "God Please Let Us..." nice harmonies. Carl's vocals sound 'rushed.'
"God Please..." turn down the annoying key bass- it's TOO INTRUSIVE!!!!

Roller Skating Child- man oh man. You're already sunk when you write a song about roller skating. Awful lyrics. Instrumentation almost too barebones for the nice harmonies. Phase thing in right channel is terribly annoying.

Mona- Send out for more booze & smokes for Denny! We haven't reached the desired gravelly effect yet. Nice with bells, but keys bass still annoying.

Johnny Carson- OMG. Could be one of the worst released BB tunes. Did they really turn back to Brian to write some good tunes??? Why didn't he? Brian's voice is shot.

Good Time- Brian's voice sounds decent on this one. How is that possible from one day to the next? HOORAY- More drums than just snare!!

Honkin' Down The Highway- gosh darn highway?? Ugh. Annoying key bass, AGAIN. Brian sounds like he's forcing his falsetto.

Ding Dang- Dirty Ding Dang should have been here instead - Fock her big t!ts!

Solar System- creative tune/nice concept, poor execution. Could have been promising. Bri's voice is still shot. Did he know he sounded like this?

The Night Was So Young- WOW! We're treated to some guitar on this one! Could this be one of the best on the album. Real nice harmonies! Almost doesn't sound like Carl singing lead!

I'll Bet He's Nice- It's so hard to listen to Brian & Dennis' smoke-choked vocals when I know what they sounded like before and Brian even after. Warbling keyboard is yet again, annoying. Some nice harmonies.

Let's Put Our Hearts Together- Likely the best track on the album. Sounds like some thought was put into writing the lyrics. Nice to hear the Mrs! But again, it's hard to get past Brian's glass-gargled voice.

I Wanna Pick You Up- fun & creepy at the same time. No annoying setting on the key bass. Cool tack piano. Brian's cracked voice on 'Feed you 'break- fast' from a little cup' and 'and I'll 'bend' and kiss you on your head' lines make me laugh. The 'I want to pick you up/rock you back & forth and make you smile/I want to hold you close for a while' lines sound weird with everyone singing in unison instead of harmonies. Sounds like a cop-out for the lack of harmonies in that spot THEN Great harmonies to close the song.

Airplane- ho-hum. Lacks inspiration & life. Fuzz guitar sounds out of place. Brian once had imagination on how to put odd instruments together, now it just sounds like he's arranging... rather, almost not arranging. A few nice harmony spots and the song stops abruptly. The 'I can't wait' tag on the end sounds like it should almost be a different song.

Love Is A Woman- Stop with the keyboard jazz, OK! Bri tosses in some sax & flutes for good measure. Again they sound out of place due to lack of a real rhythm track.

Rule of thumb when recording your own album- Words or lyrics to not use: dirty boogie, falsies, Disco-disco-discotheque mama, when guests are boring he fills up the slack, honkin' down the gosh darn highway, pat her on the butt. EEK!

We all know what Brian & the Boys were capable of and hearing this album is a let down from what they'd given us and a handful of recordings yet to come. By the sounds of it, the whole album could have been recorded in a single day. This album is a fine example of using a technology (key bass) that was still relatively new and not knowing quite how to use it. 'Well we have it... gotta use it for something.' In my ears it's almost as if they were doing something they didn't want to do- something they loved to do- record! The youthful exuberance seems to be gone and they're only in their early 30's. The album just sounds like a bunch of demos of what might have been released as the real album several months later. Love You is simply- weak. Uninspired. Amateurish. It lacks the shine & polish that we know the BB's for. I really can't describe it any better than that. It just could have been so much better.
So in summation- if you were to take 15 Big Ones and combine it with Love You, you just might get 1 album's worth of stuff that's at least pleasing to the ear (Brian's good one) and a few knockout tunes to make up for the ones that don't have that high-lustre.

Here's my boot: 14 BIG YOUS:
It's OK, Had To Phone Ya, Everyone's In Love With You, Susie Cincinnati, Back Home, In The Still Of The Night, I'll Bet He's Nice, Mona, Good Time, Solar System, The Night Was So Young, Let's Put Our Hearts Together, I Wanna Pick You Up, Love Is A Woman.
Trash the remainder- I'd be content if I never heard a one of them again.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 06:07:10 PM »

The one thing you really hate, the bass, is probably my favorite thing about the album.

And Carson, Airplane and Roller Skating Child are among my favorite BB tracks.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 06:10:50 PM »

Definately better than Smiley Smile.

:D

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 06:14:48 PM »

Nope, but right below it.

HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 06:15:28 PM »

Actually, I'd say it's better than Sunflower.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 06:19:39 PM »

Me too!

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 07:49:51 PM »

Yer both a bit zany!  Smiley
SurferGirl7
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 08:03:01 PM »

Strange, strange, strange album. A bit more distubing then Mike's turban collection but  not as downright scary Smiley Smile is. Ding Dang (best 59 second song ever), Good Time, Solar System (when you actually hear it on piano, it's a hell of a lot better). Some of the stuff like Mona I wish Brian sang. I don't like LPOHT because it has Marilyn on it AND NOT ME!!!!!  Angry (just kidding. It's just bad in general. Try that track or the whole thing on 45 speed. Sounds better.)

2 1/2 - 3

It's better then Holland and LA light at least.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 08:29:54 PM »

Today on Maury Povich: Beach Boys Love You album... What went wrong? Track by track.

'fraid you're dead fucking wrong on almost every single track. It's a great album, rough but gorgeous, its construction just as impressive as most of Brian's "heyday" in the '60s.  The production throws most people, and (if you're into just that) maybe rightfully so. But I love that album. I really, really do. It was my favorite thing to listen to for about a year after I first heard it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 07:57:04 AM »

'fraid you're dead fucking wrong on almost every single track.

Luther, my man.. Luther, who are you Bill O'Reilly? Chuck said discuss & give our opinions. Bill O'Reilly asks our opinions, too... and then tells us we're wrong! I can't be wrong... it's my opinion!
It was my favorite thing to listen to for about a year after I first heard it.
And I immediately shelved it after previewing about 20 seconds of every track on side #1, flipped and process repeated on side #2. It remained unlistened to for another 10 or so years. For me it's not how I know the Beach Boys. I don't hate it, mind you, in my eyes/ears it's just not good. I will go as far as to say it's better that the LA (Lame Album). However, both are uninspired.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2005, 11:56:49 AM »

Of course it's your opinion. But as I learned on the last version of this board--and really see the truth in now--if we all water down our opinions and point out that they're just opinions and begin disagreements with "while I understand you're entitled to your opinion," we'll all become intolerably dull and nothing we say will count. We could have one locked post under each thread that just says "MATTER OF OPINION."

It's my opinion that it's more fun and direct to say what we think, and let the arguments go as they may. Sorry if you don't agree...you're entitled to your opinion.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 12:31:27 PM »

I'm with you, Luther, I'm with you.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 01:06:10 PM »

That lesson sound like a familiar one, by chance?

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2005, 01:07:44 PM »

A bit.

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2005, 02:06:50 PM »

So.. let me see if I understand this. If it is not just an opinion but is yet, my belief, my belief stands for more if I don't actually say... in my opinion??? In which case I can say "Love You blows," therefore not just in my opinion... it actually does!!! SCHWEET!!!!  Grin
Jason
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2005, 02:10:54 PM »

What's more, they're not just opinions, they're facts! Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005, 03:37:51 PM »

So.. let me see if I understand this. If it is not just an opinion but is yet, my belief, my belief stands for more if I don't actually say... in my opinion???

Doesn't weaken the thought, but it weakens the statement, thus the writing, thus the (for lack of a better word) passion, thus the debate, thus the board.

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2005, 05:48:15 PM »

Thusly, no one wins since everyone has their own opinion. Opinions really mean nothing, which in the grand scheme of things means nothing anyway! Awesome. What the hell were we talking about...   Huh .... Oh Love You. I do love you though, Luther!   Kiss
Jason
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2005, 05:49:24 PM »

What did your grandmother tell you about opinions?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2005, 06:09:14 PM »

Thusly, no one wins since everyone has their own opinion. Opinions really mean nothing, which in the grand scheme of things means nothing anyway!

Wrong--I win.

Why? Because your pronoun is plural and your subject is singular.

When in doubt, hit 'em with grammar. That's what i always say. (Of course, that probably explains something I'd rather not think about...)

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx