gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:37:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Love You
5 - 120 (54.3%)
4 - 63 (28.5%)
3 - 23 (10.4%)
2 - 6 (2.7%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 4 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Love You  (Read 170573 times)
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 21, 2013, 02:36:34 AM »

I don't hate this album or anything, but I don't think it's... that good. Most of the songs are just stupid ("Johnny Carson", "Honkin' Down The Highway", and "Love Is A Woman" especially), but they're at least enjoyably stupid. And very short. I guess it's bizarre fun but it kinda feels like the wrong sort of bizarre - I prefer the goofier SMiLE stuff for this sort of thing. Not at all bad though. 3/5
Completely take it back. Awesome album.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: April 22, 2013, 01:07:04 PM »

[/quote]

Glad to hear it! Love You IS a tremendous album, I "got it" at first listen, even though I knew it was a very odd album. I can easily see why it would take some people several listens to get the album, while some never do and will forever dislike it.

Judd, what was it that turned it around for you? More and more listens? A specific song?

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 23, 2013, 07:55:24 AM »

Glad to hear it! Love You IS a tremendous album, I "got it" at first listen, even though I knew it was a very odd album. I can easily see why it would take some people several listens to get the album, while some never do and will forever dislike it.

Judd, what was it that turned it around for you? More and more listens? A specific song?
[/quote]
I really don't know... I think perhaps the album was too odd for me the first time, too unlike anything else the Beach Boys had done, so I couldn't really get into it. But a bit later I gave it another chance and I found myself loving it! I think it was Mona that did it...  LOL

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 05, 2013, 04:13:18 PM »

This album should be coming in the mail soon. Can't wait...

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 11, 2013, 04:01:24 PM »

Listened to it a few times. WOW!!! The best LP from the boys since Smiley Smile. The melodies on this record are beautiful, and more developed than anything on, say, Friends. Brian (and the rest of the Boys) obviously put a lot of effort into this record. More so than the appalling 15 Big Ones record... (shudder).

The use of the 1970 outtake doesn't hurt the record much. Its in the spirit of the record as far as the lyrics, and makes prominent use of the organ, like most of the other songs on the record.

I've only had this for a day, but it's already become my second, or third favorite, BB album after Pet Sounds (and Smiley Smile). 5 stars without a second thought

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:02:15 PM by Miss Amanda Jones » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 11, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »

Listened to it a few times. WOW!!! The best LP from the boys since Smiley Smile. The melodies on this record are beautiful, and more developed than anything on, say, Friends. Brian (and the rest of the Boys) obviously put a lot of effort into this record. More so than the appalling 15 Big Ones record... (shudder).

The use of the 1970 outtake doesn't hurt the record much. Its in the spirit of the record as far as the lyrics, and makes prominent use of the organ, like most of the other songs on the record.

I've only had this for a day, but it's already become my second, or third favorite, BB album after Pet Sounds (and Smiley Smile). 5 stars without a second thought

I knew you had good taste. Love You, The Beach Boys diamond in the rough. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 11, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »

Love You is the coolest album. It took me like a week till I got it- Then I never looked at music the same way again. This is punk rock. This is dance music. This is romance. This is humor. This is The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson unleashed. Great Art. Really great art.

EDIT:

I just had a thought- Love You is like the anti- Joe Thomas.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:32:06 PM by Mahalo » Logged
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: June 24, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »

I actually had to wean myself off Love You in order to be able to listen to lesser recordings! Sounds crazy but it's true.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 24, 2013, 08:18:35 PM »

I actually had to wean myself off Love You in order to be able to listen to lesser recordings! Sounds crazy but it's true.

That is not crazy at all- you're among Friends. I learned so much from this album- artistically, spiritually, and how to live in reality...really.
Sutter Cane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 25, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »

Yeah, put me down in the pro-Love You camp as well. On the whole it's a very solid album, with the exception of Let's Put Our Hearts Together (which is a well written song with awful vocals), and I wanna pick you up (which just creeps me out every time I hear it).
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #360 on: June 25, 2013, 11:01:10 AM »

Love You is the coolest album. It took me like a week till I got it- Then I never looked at music the same way again. This is punk rock. This is dance music. This is romance. This is humor. This is The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson unleashed. Great Art. Really great art.

EDIT:

I just had a thought- Love You is like the anti- Joe Thomas.

Yes, love that comment re Joe Thomas. To me, an album like TWGMTR just sucks all the life out of everything that makes Brian Wilson music special to begin with!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 25, 2013, 11:05:41 AM »

If Smiley Smile is one of your favorite BB's albums, then you have exquisite taste!  I finally "got" Smiley Smile last year.  Awe-inspiring in its elegant darkness!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 24, 2013, 02:57:19 PM »

I'm in the Pro-Love You Camp. Puts me in a good mood with every listen. No doubt The Night Was So Young is the best track overall. I like the energy on side one. The loud bass key is cool. Reminds me of some of the punk I listen to, like The Stranglers and Wire. Wall Of Voodoo too. Not for everybody. But definitely for me. Thanks Brian!

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 13, 2013, 06:06:19 AM »

I never thought NTWSY was the best track either. I think more or less everything on Side A is better.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 13, 2013, 08:54:54 AM »

I never thought NTWSY was the best track either. I think more or less everything on Side A is better.
Yea, I am a Side A person too.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 13, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »

I'm a Side B person. Night/Nice/Hearts/Pick You Up is like my favorite sequence of songs ever
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 13, 2013, 03:45:51 PM »

I'm a Side B person. Night/Nice/Hearts/Pick You Up is like my favorite sequence of songs ever
Don't get me wrong, I love the whole album, but I tend to like faster music, on the whole.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: August 26, 2013, 07:31:48 PM »

The more time passes, the more it's becoming clear to me that I just #$%&ing love this album and I don't care who knows it. That is all. Smiley

Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 27, 2013, 03:40:09 PM »

The more time passes, the more it's becoming clear to me that I just #$%&ing love this album and I don't care who knows it. That is all. Smiley

Exactly.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 29, 2013, 10:26:03 PM »

My first exposure to this album was actually Brian's performance on SNL of Love Is A Woman and - oh man. I had NO idea what to think.

With no knowledge of his mental state or really anything about the band (aka me at the time) I was so confused "THIS is Brian Wilson?!". I was oddly infatuated with the track. it was so silly and he just sort of sounded BAD. But so bad that it was good. I tried to explain to my friends who have no idea about the beach boys why this song was glorious. I showed them the video and they would laugh but for some reason I couldn't get the song out of my head.

Keep in mind Love You is probably the 4th Beach Boys album I had listened to all the way through or at least given the time of day. First being Pet Sounds, second being Smile sessions, then Smiley Smile and then Love You.

When I first listened to the album I loved it. There were the gems like Let Us Go On This Way, The Night Was So Young, Roller Skating Child as well as the goofy, eccentric tracks like Johnny Carson, Solar System, Ding Dang etc. Instantly fell in love and I had to find it on vinyl.

I showed my girlfriend the album just because and to my surprise she loved it as well. She found it at the local record store on and bought it for me as a surprise. Over the past year or so it has become my favorite Beach Boys album for many reasons.

On a side note it is a great LP to throw on the turntable and drink whiskey to.
5/5
bluesno1fann
« Reply #370 on: August 31, 2013, 10:49:08 PM »

When I first listened to a few tracks off this album, my reaction was mixed to negative. I honestly did not understand why this album was so popular.
But this album grew on me. So much in fact that it's now a favourite!
"Mona" is by far my favourite track. I also love "Honkin' Down the Highway", "Johnny Carson", "I'll Bet he's Nice", "I Wanna Pick you Up", and "Airplane".
"Good Time" is also great, but like "Sloop John B." on "Pet Sounds", it shouldn't have been on this album. Too out of place.
The rest i'm not a huge fan of, but are all still great. One of the only albums without any true clunkers.
4.5 out of 5.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 20, 2013, 01:43:23 PM »

Beach Boys Love You is my all time favorite album ever! It's just so genius all the way! I loved it straight on from the first listen, and it still gets better and better on every listen. I've heard it hundreds of times. 5/5.

Let Us Go On This Way 5/5
Carl's really rocking out here!
Roller Skating Child 5/5
Propably the best classic fun rock tune Beach Boys ever did after Fun, Fun, Fun.
Mona 5/5
My personal favorite. Simple and touching.
Johnny Carson 3.5/5
This is a weird one. I like the song very much but it doesn't fit to the context of the album at all. Johnny Carson WTF?
Good Time 4/5
Little bit out of place, but fit's lyrically very well.
Honkin' Down The Highway 4.5/5
Really great song, Al shines as always. The drum intro is super cool.
Ding Dang 5/5
GENIUS! (Should've been a little longer though)
Solar System 4/5
Another weird one. It's a lot better than Johnny Carson. Funny lyrics.
The Night Was So Young 5/5
Masterpiece.
I'll Bet He's Nice 5/5
Another masterpiece. I love to hear all the three brothers singing. Those harmonies! wow!
Let's Put Our Hearts Together 4/5
Really touching little song. I like Marilyn's voice.
I Wanna Pick You Up 4.5/5
Would be 5/5 song without that "pat her on her butt"-line. Can't help it but that just sounds too weird. The last line "she's going to sleep" is so awesome!
Airplane 5/5
One of the best Mike vocals ever.  The fake ending and the last part after that is really cool. It could be longer, but it's still great. Brian sounds really cool here.
Love Is A Woman 4/5
I think it's a great song and it sums up the whole LP pretty nicely.

Pet Sounds, Love You and That's Why God Made the Radio's couple first songs + the last 4 songs make a perfect trilogy.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 28, 2013, 05:40:57 PM »

Probably the best album of the 80's.

Pet Sounds 2.

10/10 5/5 9999/9999

Side 2 makes me want to hold my beating heart in my hand as i slowly squeeze the life from myself

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 28, 2013, 09:17:27 PM »

Probably the best album of the 80's.

Pet Sounds 2.

10/10 5/5 9999/9999

Side 2 makes me want to hold my beating heart in my hand as i slowly squeeze the life from myself
Of the 80s? Came out in 1977

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 03, 2014, 08:28:58 PM »

Jeez 16 pages for LOVE YOU..  Shocked  Well I read 4-5 pages and I gave up.. Heck everybody has said everything there is to say.. Grin   My reaction to this LP was SHOCK.. I played it many times to make sure I got it.. Well I could criticize production/ rough  vocals / instrumentation / trite lyrics / goofy synths  /  off key vocals / very little guitar / no trade mark BB harmonies /   Have I left anything out.? ..  So please explain how after 37 years I  STILL listen to this album.. LOL  I SWEAR I just don't know but I do.. I think im sick.. I know what it is.. Im afflicted with a virus known as Wilson fever.. And its contagious..!  I would never play this album for anyone but me.. No one is gonna understand this music but another soul afflicted with the same virus..  To listen to this music and use your imagination to find the true gems takes patience and love.. IMHO.. The true gems are:  Airplane ..IBHN.. IWPYU .. TNWSY.. SS.. HDTH.. GT.. LUGOTW... Mona.. And that still leaves 5 more songs and there are a couple I REALLY don't like.. LIAW  +  JC.. So that still leaves  3 so so songs..   JEEZ are you kidding me.!  If I was recording this either as a demo or a finished product I would never release this at all.. Shows how much I know.. So is Brian Wilson a genius or crazy..??  Are we crazy.. Easy to please ..Or tone deaf..?   I don't know but ill leave it to all of you to decide.... While its not close to being their best.. Listening for 37 years must mean something... What does that mean..?  3.5/5  cover art 2/5
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:48:39 PM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx