gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:22:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Love You
5 - 120 (54.3%)
4 - 63 (28.5%)
3 - 23 (10.4%)
2 - 6 (2.7%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 4 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Love You  (Read 172507 times)
Jason
« Reply #250 on: August 31, 2009, 08:43:20 PM »

"I don't wanna tell you that I care for you and have you just ignore me"......That lyric seems like something you'd hear someone say to someone else in a regular conversation.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THAT.

I don't know why people don't seem to get the conversational aspect of the lyrics on this album. These songs sound literally like Brian is across from you, in conversation. THAT'S the brutal honesty of this record. Maybe that's why people don't like it.
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 01, 2009, 08:22:38 PM »

your welcome Smiley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2009, 12:54:22 PM »

I dunno how "punk" "love you" is but...damn is it good.

I don't really mean punk in sound (except for the drums on Let Us Go On This Way and Honkin' Down The Highway), but more like punk in spirit...like Brian didn't really give a merda, and said "foda what everyone else thinks, I'm gonna make the record the way I want to!!".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jason
« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2009, 08:07:29 PM »

Wasn't Brian that way back in 1965?
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 05, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »

THIS ALBUM SUCKS
                    SUCKS
                    SUCKS Evil
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 05:16:56 PM by SmileySam » Logged
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 05, 2009, 05:17:31 PM »

Joking Grin
Jason
« Reply #256 on: September 05, 2009, 11:07:28 PM »

Yeah, in theory, this record is "punk". Brian was in "f*** everybody and everything" mode in 1976. This was the prevailing thought. 1976 brought the world a Summer Of Hate in the UK and elsewhere. The Beach Boys Love You, along with Smiley Smile, is one of the Beach Boys' great "f*** yous" to their legacy, fans, and public perception. And for that alone, we should respect them both.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 06, 2009, 08:16:45 AM »

I don't think there is anything to respect in a f*** you, just for a f*** you's sake.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 03, 2009, 10:28:25 AM »

i like the idea of this record and it's pretty fun, but man, 5s and 4s? c'mon son...

"the night was so young" is great, sounds like some Wild Honey material. i really like "mona" too. "solar system" and "carson" are cute/weird/enjoyable, but way overrated.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 16, 2009, 05:02:42 AM »

Anyone else here really like "Good Time"? Whether or not it should be on this particular album is a moot point, but to my ears it kind of sounds like a joke, a pastiche of something unusual which makes it weirder still. Yet obviously simple and direct as you'd expect. And a great intro with the tapping percussion. I do like a "Good Time."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 16, 2009, 03:05:26 PM »

Love it. Huge fan.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 16, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »

Fantastic in many ways, but I find I love it less than I used to. In some ways, having more solo Brian out makes Love You seem less important -- we no longer need an album from 77 to reassure ourselves that he didn't lose the plot in the late 60s.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 17, 2009, 06:58:35 AM »

Interesting. My "huge fan / love it" comment was in response to the prev. post, just about "Good Time," but I enjoy your post about your changing impression of the album. I can't say I have any similar feelings, though. I really like Love You, which I heard for the first time around the time of Imagination (which was relatively early in my Beach Boys/BW fandom). Loved LY then, love LY now. Brian's continued releases are a mixed bag for me, with BWPS at the top, TLOS very, very welcome in my collection, and everything else in the "nice to hear sometimes, I guess" range. But whether he puts out another Pet Sounds (cough, not gonna happen) or a Sweet Insanity, I guess my feelings about LY are the same. It stands on its own merit regardless of its creator's decades-later state.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 21, 2009, 07:30:33 AM »

It's hard to explain exactly, but I get the sense when I listen to this album that it's from the same guy who made Pet Sounds and Friends. Those three albums share an aura, I feel, they're from the heart in terms of both lyrical and musical content. The spacey sound of Love You reminds me in places of Pet Sounds, which also had a spacious, fairytale kind of sound in areas. It has the homey, simplistic feel of Friends. All three are also musically complex and insane at points in their own ways (obviously, as far as pure all-around complexity goes, Pet Sounds wins).
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 27, 2009, 06:52:44 PM »

Fantastic in many ways, but I find I love it less than I used to. In some ways, having more solo Brian out makes Love You seem less important -- we no longer need an album from 77 to reassure ourselves that he didn't lose the plot in the late 60s.

My impression of this album has changed twice. When I first bought it, I hardly liked any of the tunes because of Brian's rough vocals and the goofy lyrics, so I sold it. But as I got more into the BBs and learned Brian's history, I bought it again and really started to dig it.  Much later, after getting into 15BO and Adult Child, I found that I liked this one less than I used to.

As much as I've grown accustomed to Brian's vocals from this period, his singing here is rougher and displays less control than on 15BO or Adult Child.  (My least favorite vocal performance, though, is Marliyn's on LPOHT.)  Also, the spare, synth-heavy/minimal drums production often sounds undercooked to me.

But with those things said, the great songwriting (albeit with really wacky lyrics sometimes) really shines through and saves the album for me.  And speaking of those wacky lyrics, I really think that "I Wanna Pick You Up" (as opposed to, say, "Hey Little Tomboy") was written in the spirit of all innocence.  Anyway, I give LY a 4.  With more production, fuller drumming, and some vocal retakes (LPOHT) and shuffling (maybe Carl on LIAW) it could be a 5.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 02, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »

5. I don't know why, I just really like this quirky album. In all honesty, I probably should have given it a 4 for the reasons Ganz Allein gave (lack of drums, sometimes too much synth, and I'll throw it lack of guitars) , but I still listen to it and pretty much love it.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 13, 2010, 07:01:33 PM »

Anyone else here really like "Good Time"? Whether or not it should be on this particular album is a moot point, but to my ears it kind of sounds like a joke, a pastiche of something unusual which makes it weirder still. Yet obviously simple and direct as you'd expect. And a great intro with the tapping percussion. I do like a "Good Time."

I love Good Time. I think it's the best song on the record. A haunting reminder of the glory days, punctuated by the falsetto voice that Brian would never again have. Placing it almost in the middle of the record simply sharpens the point. This is the Beach Boys, as a band, at their peak. A peak that they would never rise to again. Saddening, really, that the album just after this cemented their status as fat, decadent, rock stars. It's only more brutal when you realize that it was just 7 or 8 years ago. Not even a decade. Shows how much things can change in the short span of a few years.
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 22, 2010, 11:02:22 PM »

My favorite Beach Boys album. Pet Sounds is definatley the "Best Album", but the weird psychadellic genius of Love You wins it for me, because I'm a huge weirdo and I love that unfiltered pure as the driven snow (PUNS!) Brian Wilson.

Also, goshdarn the I'll Bet He's Nice demo kills me. There's such an energy to it and it's so lovely.

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 23, 2010, 07:09:40 AM »

"Well, oh my, oh gosh, oh gee, she really sends chills inside of me". Only Brian could write those lyrics and totally make it work. The Beach Boys Love You is a true diamond in the rough.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 25, 2010, 09:42:12 PM »

"Well, oh my, oh gosh, oh gee, she really sends chills inside of me". Only Brian could write those lyrics and totally make it work. The Beach Boys Love You is a true diamond in the rough.
Reminds me how much I like seeing Brian swear in interviews. He seems so happy when he lets himself swear.

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 11, 2010, 04:16:54 PM »

I just realized that many songs from Love You are near the top of my 'most played' list in itunes....I must really like the album  Smiley

'Solar System' is one of my favorite songs by the Beach Boys.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 23, 2010, 06:16:35 AM »

For me, Good Time is the proverbial sore thumb on Love You. Good Timin' with lots of synths would have been better in its place.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 29, 2011, 01:25:08 PM »

this album is a 10/10

you guys are crazy

and mona is the best track
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 29, 2011, 01:49:55 PM »

this album is a 10/10

you guys are crazy

and mona is the best track

Agreed 100%!

No mas, por favor.
aerolls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 17, 2011, 06:18:20 PM »

Discuss, review and rate The Beach Boys Love You, released April 1977.

I read somewhere that sometimes it takes 5 complete spins, from start to finish, to fully appreciate the unbridled enthusiasm of Beach Boys Love You.

I already love Johnny Carson...

Wish me luck, here I go, I'll report my findings.

Adrian
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx