gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:20:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Love You
5 - 120 (54.3%)
4 - 63 (28.5%)
3 - 23 (10.4%)
2 - 6 (2.7%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 4 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Love You  (Read 170576 times)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2007, 09:26:52 AM »

Love You is among the best records of all time. I don't care if people don't think so. It is more underground than Pink FLoyd is, and the songs are awesome. Ed McMahon comes on and says here's Johnny. Priceless. It's a humor album to me. My girlfriend Penny is kind of skinny so she needs her falsies on. Mona. Pick You Up. This stuff is wonderful, and after listening to this, it's hard to take other bands seriously nowadays. God Bless Love YOu!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 20, 2007, 02:06:37 PM »

It is more underground than Pink FLoyd is

This is one of the funniest lines I have ever read. Considering about 75% of dorm rooms across America have Dark Side of the Moon posters hanging in them, and that the Wall was made into a feature film, and that P.F. has their own bazillion oldies tours ranging from laser shows to Waters' stuff to the other guys playing to whatever else, it is hardly difficult to be more underground than Pink Floyd.

What's next, more underground than Bon Jovi? More underground than the Eagles?

All that said, yes, Love You is a great album. But really, who gives a f*** what is or isn't underground, anyway?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 20, 2007, 08:33:10 PM »

Maybe Pink FLoyd wasn't the best example. Alls I'm saying is that Love You has a true cult following and is a true underground album. By underground I mean it has that quality to it that it hasn't been corrupted by mass commercial appeal...it is special to so many people without being well known by any means to the majority of western music listeners. Being that it is such an amazing album, and that it has those qualities, it makes Love You so much cooler to me...as if I've got some secret music that the guy next to  me hasn't heard of yet, and by America's most well known band, nonetheless! That is part of the appeal of this album. Pat pat pat pat pat her on her butt butt she's gone to sleep be quiet.........
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2007, 04:24:29 AM »

I really like this album a lot. I dont really have any favourites because I like them all with exception of Ding Dang which Im not particularly fond of. I dont hate it or anything just not all that great. I usually skip over that one. The highlights for me are The Night Was So Young, Ill Bet Hes Nice, Solar System, Lets Put Our Hearts Together, Let Us Go On This Way and I really love the catchiness of Roller Skating Child and Mona. Love Is A Woman & Johnny Carson aint bad either. In fact Ill just stick to my intial opinion that I love the whole thing. Razz
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »

This would've made an excellent album:

1. Let Us Go On
2. Johnny Carson
3. Solar System
4. The Night Was So Young
5. Honkin Down the Highway
6. Airplane
7. Winter Symphony
8. Belles of Paris
9. Sweet Sunday Love
10. My Diane
11. Everyone's In Love With You
12. Still I Dream of It
13. It's Over Now

Probably in a different order

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 23, 2007, 02:23:41 PM »

While I've been known to make my "should've been" albums, I disagree on that one. No Roller Skatin Child? Blasphemy! And the inclusion of Belles of Paris and Everyone's... mean you are not allowed to touch my CD player remote control. Sorry. Hands off.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 24, 2007, 06:06:45 AM »

No Roller Skatin Child? Blasphemy!

Yeh you cant leave Roller Skating Child out. Thats one of the coolest songs on there.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 24, 2007, 11:52:03 AM »

My favorite on Love You is "Love Is A Woman"... That song is hilarious! I love how it sounds like a guy giving advice on woo-ing a girl then Carl (Al?) comes in with the sarcastic "1 2 3" bit and that snide saxophone then Brian sings the "Love Is A Woman" and you can almost hear the smile on his face.

Priceless!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2007, 07:28:34 AM »

While I've been known to make my "should've been" albums, I disagree on that one. No Roller Skatin Child? Blasphemy! And the inclusion of Belles of Paris and Everyone's... mean you are not allowed to touch my CD player remote control. Sorry. Hands off.

If I could add one or two more songs, RSC, LIAW, Match Point, and Hey Little Tomboy would be on my list of possible add ons.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2007, 08:03:34 AM »

I give it a 4. I think it falls a little short of a masterpiece, but it's pretty damn close. The instrumentation is brilliant as are the chord changes. The lyrics are hillarious.

This is very close to my own view (and I too give it a 4). The first time I heard it I thought it was just dreadful ... but when the GV box set came out I found I liked a lot of the songs, and now I find it far and away the most intriguing and, in something of a perverse way, enjoyable album of the post-Surf's Up era.

"I'll Bet He's Nice" is the highlight for me musically. Wow, to be able to construct songs like that ... Would love to hear the demo tape that's been mentioned.  Cool
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2007, 03:13:31 PM »

I find it far and away the most intriguing and, in something of a perverse way, enjoyable album of the post-Surf's Up era.

Other than Holland, it's pretty much the only intriguing and enjoyable album of the post-Surf's Up era...

Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 08, 2007, 03:57:46 PM »

Other than Holland, it's pretty much the only intriguing and enjoyable album of the post-Surf's Up era...

Agreed! Should've said "only" instead of "most" ...
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 08, 2007, 10:36:44 PM »

Brian's last hurrah. The end.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2007, 11:49:23 PM »

Defintely the last Brian Album.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2007, 02:26:14 PM »

I agree with Heywood Floyd and pixletwin, but who would've thought it - back in late 1976 - when Brian wrote it? That was over three decades ago...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2007, 02:55:38 PM »

Do you mean that people thought he had more left in him, or that people thought he was already long past his last great album?

I would imagine both are true, depending on whether you were a Brian/BBs fan at the time or just a casual fan of their hits. If the latter, people probably barely remembered there was such a thing, Endless Summer notwithstanding.

(I was just born that year, so I didn't think anything except "goo goo ga ga.")

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 09, 2007, 06:50:05 PM »

Do you mean that people thought he had more left in him, or that people thought he was already long past his last great album?

I hate to use the term, but when "Love You" was released, the overall consensus was that "Brian Is Back", or at least almost there. Tha album got pretty good reviews, even though it was a commercial disappointment. It was an album of NEW Brian Wilson stuff, it was interesting, it was different (in a good way), and it was FUN.

In 1976-77, like today, Brian was a sympathetic figure. People were pulling for him. And like I posted above, Love You gave people hope. But also like I posted, who knew it would be, in my opinion, his last great work.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 09, 2007, 07:25:30 PM »

I hate to use the term, but when "Love You" was released, the overall consensus was that "Brian Is Back", or at least almost there. Tha album got pretty good reviews, even though it was a commercial disappointment. It was an album of NEW Brian Wilson stuff, it was interesting, it was different (in a good way), and it was FUN.

In 1976-77, like today, Brian was a sympathetic figure. People were pulling for him. And like I posted above, Love You gave people hope. But also like I posted, who knew it would be, in my opinion, his last great work.

It just shows though that he was still capable of producing a great album (Im not sure if he could anymore cause as someone mentioned that was around 30 years ago but still I think he has still delivered some great tracks just nothing in terms of one great work (of course BWPS doesnt count), though in my opinion his closest he ever came to producing something great again was BW 88 though it was a bit off the mark
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2007, 07:38:16 PM »

It just shows though that he was still capable of producing a great album

Yes, it did show that, mikeyj. And, to me, it is STILL perplexing that he didn't. I was a new, enthusiastic fan back then, and I truly believed that Brian was going to write/produce more great things; maybe not sing/perform them, but at least compose them. And I was mystified and frustrated that he just faded back to oblivion. Love You had me excited, MIU was good but slightly disappointing composition-wise, L.A. had practically no Brian, and KTSA was merely OK. I won't even get into what happened when Landy returned.

The 1976-82 period is very interesting to me. I still have more unanswered questions from that period than any other...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2007, 07:44:06 PM »

It IS interesting. Not necessarily all that good (music-wise), but interesting.

But heck, the entire history of the Beach Boys--and certainly everything from Brian's retirement from the road onward--is interesting. What an unbelievable story...

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2007, 08:09:59 PM »

It just shows though that he was still capable of producing a great album

Yes, it did show that, mikeyj. And, to me, it is STILL perplexing that he didn't. I was a new, enthusiastic fan back then, and I truly believed that Brian was going to write/produce more great things; maybe not sing/perform them, but at least compose them. And I was mystified and frustrated that he just faded back to oblivion. Love You had me excited, MIU was good but slightly disappointing composition-wise, L.A. had practically no Brian, and KTSA was merely OK. I won't even get into what happened when Landy returned.

The 1976-82 period is very interesting to me. I still have more unanswered questions from that period than any other...

Still I think that maby Brian does have it in him, I mean you dont just lose that ability overnight. I mean he is capable but its just whether or not he can be bothered anymore. I mean he has done SOOO much for us fans and so much for the music business that maby he feels that hes accomplished everything that he wants to.

You say that you were dissapointed that he "faded back to oblivion" but what do you think about songs like "It's Over Now" and "Still I Dream of It". I think those songs are fantastic, they were recorded after Love You werent they? Or am I wrong in saying that.

It IS interesting. Not necessarily all that good (music-wise), but interesting.

But heck, the entire history of the Beach Boys--and certainly everything from Brian's retirement from the road onward--is interesting. What an unbelievable story...

It sure is, and I think thats why us fans are so crazy about them because its not just amazing music its an amazing story too and there is so much to talk about and discuss
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 10, 2007, 08:25:38 AM »

I may be wrong, but I believe Its Over Now and Still I Dream Of It were from the same period as 15 Big Ones and Love You.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2007, 10:36:45 AM »

Are the two extra tracks on "Love You (And More)" worth the price of admission?
(Saw a factory pressed version for $10)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2007, 03:22:11 AM »

Ok, here's my track by track runthrough of this album...monkeeknutz, you might want to look away  Grin:

Let Us Go On- Not all that great of a song. Probably the weakest here.

Roller Skating Child- I LOVE this song!!! It just might be my favorite beach boys song of all time.  Grin

Mona- Another great track! When I listen to the "Love You" album, I can never listen to this song just once.

Johnny Carson- Charming in a scratch your head kind of way. Only Brian Wilson could get away with writing a song like this.  Grin

Good Time- I've never listened to this song all the way through. So, I can't really comment on it.

Honkin' Down The Highway- As great as the album version is, this song COOKED in concert.  Grin

Ding Dang- This is a great song. But it's WAY to short.  Cool

Solar System- I kind of agree with monkeeknutz(what a great name  LOL). This is probably one of those songs that sounded good on the piano at Brian's house, but lost some of it's charm in the studio.

The Night Was So Young- What a BEAUTIFUL song!!! This was probably the very last perfect-from-start-to-finish beach boy's song.

I'll Bet He's Nice- I love the "baby-ooooooooooooooh" backing vocals. Very pretty song, but sad to realise that Brian probably wrote and sang his lines with his wife in mind. 

Let's Put Our Hearts Together- Not that great of a song. I'm not that much of a fan of Marylin's voice.  Razz

I Wanna Pick You Up- Charming and sweet, and perverted all in one. I love Dennis.  Grin

Airplane- Another one that worked better in concert. There is a nice underrated falsetto-ish vocal from Brian on the album version, however.

Love Is A Woman- I've never liked this song. The band sounds like a worn out "Saturday Night Live!" house band here.  Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2007, 05:49:27 PM »

In Mona, the line "Listen to Be My Baby, I know you're gonna love Phil Spector" always cracks me up. I bet you Marylin wasn't so crazy about Be My Baby and Phil Spector by 1976,  LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx