gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680828 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:41:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Love You
5 - 120 (54.3%)
4 - 63 (28.5%)
3 - 23 (10.4%)
2 - 6 (2.7%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 4 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Love You  (Read 172528 times)
NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2006, 10:36:30 AM »

LOL...since he did most of the work.

I can see why you feel The Night was So Young is overrated. God, I hate Carl's vocals on this. Probably the only time I'll ever say THAT about a song.

Honestly, it's the middle section of "I'll Bet He's Nice" where he drives me bananas. I'm speaking of the "Don't you ever tell me that you're leaving" part. That section of the song always sounded forced and phony to me.

Unrelated comment: I think Love You features some of Brian's most innovative chord changes.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2006, 11:06:16 AM »

I think he sounds drunk during I Bet He's Nice, actually.

Watch out for snakes!
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2006, 06:32:26 PM »

Cry

That "Baby... don't you ever tell me that you're leavin'", just that bit, is my second favourite vocal on the whole album.

My favourite is "IS SOMEBODY GONNA TELL ME..." etc, etc...

"T'get t'you babe ar want throo da ringa!" sounds more forced to me (but it's still cool)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2006, 06:34:18 PM »

Right on.
I love Carl's "drunk" voice, also showcased on It's Over Now, Life Is For The Living and Everybody Wants To Live.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2006, 06:44:04 PM »

And I ain't heard none of those Sad

I'll have to take your word for it, sir.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2006, 06:49:10 PM »

Right on.
I love Carl's "drunk" voice, also showcased on It's Over Now, Life Is For The Living and Everybody Wants To Live.

"Liiiiiiiffffeeee...."   Yeah, that's classic.  I think Carl sounds drunk on just about everything he sings from this era: "Full Sail", "Sweet Sunday Kind of Love", "Livin' With a Heartache" and "Go and Get That Girl" all jump to mind as I write this.

Nothin' wrong with that, though.  I loves me some drunken Carl.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2006, 07:04:25 PM »

aww shucks that drunk carl on 'life is for the living'?

i thought it was drunk brizza :x

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2006, 08:37:53 PM »

And see, those are the vocals by Carl I *don't* like. I'm sorry, but on those he sounds like Peter Cetera singing underwater...with a mouth ful of peanut butter.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2006, 02:23:47 PM »

And see, those are the vocals by Carl I *don't* like. I'm sorry, but on those he sounds like Peter Cetera singing underwater...with a mouth ful of peanut butter.

Now that's a disturbing mental image!

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2006, 02:26:41 PM »

Aww yeah, it's the Beach-Tang Clan!  The Brizza, the Crizza and the Drizza, plus their partnas in cryme Mizzle-Lizzle and Al-Jardinizzle.

SUICIDE
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2006, 01:01:38 PM »

"Let's Put Our Hearts Together" used to break my heart listening to it. It's almost like a cheesy Mariah Carey tune, but because it is Brian and the group I can feel the sincerity in what is being sung. The simplicity in the lyrics is absolutely essential for this kind of song and album. Love is a complex thing but oftenly best described in an almost child-like way. Remember getting married on the front lawn to the neighbor girl? Yeah, that's the same emotion that is applied throughout this album. Simple happiness and bittersweet sadness.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 12, 2006, 08:48:47 PM »

love you is so quirky, i cant help but hold it by my side, it's all me and child-inmature like. i held the LP cover up to some girls, they love the cheesy-ness. i just hate that it's paper thin, i love that cover, it reminds me of a Light Bright. so is it really true Carl produced most of it? that  must mean a mix-down producer does everything?  LOL

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
planet_jake
Smiley Smile Newbie

The hypnosis of our minds can take us far away.

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 13, 2006, 08:53:14 AM »

Far and away my favorite Beach Boy Album.

So very strange, so very catchy, so very Brian... I'm a man in love.

MBE
« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2006, 05:23:32 AM »

I don't get it. I just never liked it and I like quirky. Bad vocals and lyrics and mix. Sorry I just don't like it. If it said produced by Mike Love would you? Anyways Good Time is great as I love the Sunflower era, and I'll Bet He's Nice and Night Was So Young are very nice. The rest is funny in a sad way but hard to listen to. I think New Album and Adult Child are WAY better.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 07:27:17 AM by MBE » Logged
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2006, 06:27:56 AM »

One of the reasons I like it is because it gives you insight into how crazy Brian had gotten by 1977.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2006, 08:14:14 AM »

The following quote, in my view, sums up Love You perfectly:

“The best description of this album, for those who have heard the music of Jonathan Richman, is to imagine Richman suddenly being given the musical talent of Bach, and two days in the studio. Anyone who doesn't love this album will loathe it, but it's their loss.”

(From http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A543025)

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 28, 2006, 05:38:06 PM »

One of the reasons I like it is because it gives you insight into how crazy Brian had gotten by 1977.

Aegir from this website makes weirder music from what I've heard.  :D

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2006, 06:55:45 PM »

Hahahahahahahaha, I'll take that as a compliment, weirder than Brian Wilson. Never really thought my music was weird, though, any tracks in particular?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 07:06:43 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 01, 2006, 06:00:39 AM »

Aww yeah, it's the Beach-Tang Clan!  The Brizza, the Crizza and the Drizza, plus their partnas in cryme Mizzle-Lizzle and Al-Jardinizzle.

LOL awesome.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 05, 2006, 01:14:11 PM »

Carl sounds especially drunk on Everybody Wants To Live, I bought another copy of the 15 Big Ones/Love You two-fer its great rediscovering those songs especially on Love You, Let Us Go On This Way is one of the boy's best rockers.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 05, 2006, 07:57:14 PM »

Hahahahahahahaha, I'll take that as a compliment, weirder than Brian Wilson. Never really thought my music was weird, though, any tracks in particular?

"Let The Bullgine Run" is actually a pretty good song. Obviously it would be better if it were properly recorded and performed by the Doors.

Don't shave the beard!

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: July 10, 2006, 10:04:48 PM »

Eh, Let the Bullgine Run is just a traditional song, terribly performed besides.. me and the other guy's vocals don't even match up half the time.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2006, 04:50:49 PM »

the 15 Big Ones/Love You two-fer its great rediscovering those songs especially on Love You, Let Us Go On This Way is one of the boy's best rockers.

It certainly is. I picked up that cd for 7 pounds at a used cd store on a trip to Scotland. Promptly after my first listen to it I flipped the booklet around so the Loves You cover was face up and treated the cd like it was Loves You paired with 15 Big Ones not the other way around. My favorite tracks are Let Us Go On This Way, The Night Was So Young and Johnny Carson.

I think it was a missed opportunity to not release The Night Was So Young b/w I'll Bet He's Nice as a single.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:42:22 AM by Music Machine » Logged
briancarldennisal
Smiley Smile Associate

light the lamp and fire mellow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2006, 10:55:36 AM »

when i heard 'love you' 5 years ago at a friends house, i couldn't believe it was the beach boys, let alone brian wilson. 5 years later (and much more interested in all things BW) i went out and bought the twofer "15bigones&loveyou". i won't say much about 15 big ones cause i haven't really given it the time of day yet, but as for "love you" it has to be one of the greatest albums i have ever listened to. i played it for my girlfriend and she said "this is the creepiest thing i've ever heard...". i have to kind of agree with her, but i also have to add that its so childish and charming that you can not help but love it. "The Night Was So Young" kills me everytime. that guitar is perfect and along with carl and brian's vocals, it is in my top 5 favorite BB's songs. the other track i find to be wonderful is "Mona". the line "i know you're gonna love phil spector" is so great cause only brian wilson would ever say that to a girl! its the same as you or me saying "i know you're gonna like my parents". i love it. i love the way dennis sings it. perfect. great album.

light the lamp and fire mellow cabin essence timely hello
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 05, 2007, 10:28:33 PM »

This is one of my favorite albums because it is full of great songs. But I had to give it a 4. Over half the songs are amazing, but a few are almost as bad as the original songs from 15BO (Ding Dang, Love is a Woman). But The Night Was So Young might just be as good as God Only Knows or Til I Die!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx