gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680817 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:10:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Too Many Pet Sounds  (Read 3525 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2009, 03:48:05 PM »

Ok, file this under "why do I do this to myself?" I was trying to put together a listing for a friend of all the PS mono mixes that have been released on CD. I think I have all the major ones. Tell me if I have missed any:

The 1990 / First Two Japanese CDS - all from Mark's no-noised master.

The 1993 GV Boxset, which is said to be from the NY Capitol tape, as the original master was missing. However, the version of WIBN has the editied intro on it so I really dunno the origin.

1993 Steve Hoffman DCC release - a combo of the original master / NY copy (for WIBN, IWFTD and train for CN).

1996 PS boxset version - mastered from the NYC copy.

1999 Single disk by Andrew Sandoval (which was incorrectly mastered with the HDCD flags set). Do not know what master he used.

2001 Single disk by Mark L using the 1996 mono master from the boxset.

2003 DVD-A hi res 96 khz transfer (which I just this week got around to buring onto a cd to play in my car).

2006 40th aniversary set, using a digital copy of the orginal master for this release. And also using the re-mixed WIBN Sad.

2009 AFL Steve Hoffman remaster, again flat, using not the U1630 digital copy but the analogue 30ips copy.

SO....are there any others I have missed?

Bob
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 03:52:50 PM »

Well, the good news is, they'll probably only release it 1 or 2 more times  Cool
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 06:04:07 PM »

Tell u what. As the days go by I am really considering breaking the seal on my So Tough / PS twofer and copying that to CD.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:25:17 AM »

The original Japan Greenline is sourced from Mark's digital transfer of the original (LA) tape but not EQ'd the same as the 40th anniversary or the 1990 and not as no noised as the 1990.  It sounds definitely better than either of those CD's.

The 99 single Sandoval release was sourced from the same digital master as the PS box set, the NY tape, and was not EQ'd differently but as you mention the HDCD flag codes were improperly used prompting Mark to recall it and redo it.

It's unclear how much editing of intros and outros remixed from the multitracks was done for the 1990 and 1993 box set versions - it's clear that some of the intros are remixes.  It would be nice to get documentation on which pieces were remixed.

As someone has pointed out in another thread, although Steve didn't apply active EQ to the digital and analogue sources he's used, his use of tube equipment essentially adds it's own EQ which accounts for the differences you hear in the DCC vs. the AF - plus apparently he used the NY tape to correct some intro dropouts (like in I'm Waiting for the Day) on the LA master tape in the DCC which he did not do for the AF, making the AF the most unadulterated digital version yet of the LA master tape.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 10:13:54 AM »

How many is too many Pet Sounds?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SG7
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 11:56:11 AM »

Let's see... I have 3 copies in mono, duophonic and stereo on vinyl. Add in So Tough with that on it. The release in mono and stereo and the first pressing in CD with Trombone Dixie (my personal favorite.) I had the cassette for it as well. Also have the sessions, "the Phil Spector mix" (not a real one by him though) and was very close this weekend to getting the new one. I think I have enough, really.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »

Interesting ad:

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 12:37:34 PM »

Has anyone attempted a fold-down to mono of the 5.1 mix?

If not, perhaps we should leave it that way......!

“We live in divisive times.”
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 04:42:50 PM »

Has anyone attempted a fold-down to mono of the 5.1 mix?

If not, perhaps we should leave it that way......!

Strictly speaking, a 4.0 mix . . . there's no middle front channel and no subwoofer channel, right?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 06:04:35 PM »

While the many Pet Sounds' variations "have their moments", and the boxed set was eye-opening, or should I say ear-opening, I think my most enjoyable Pet Sounds' listening experiences were with my old vinyl albums.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 12:57:46 PM »

I think the 1997 stereo mix should just be declared the "official" version and that's that.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »

petsite....

The 1990 / First Two Japanese CDS - all from Mark's no-noised master.

Did these have no bonus tracks/liner notes from Brian (circa 1990)? I'm trying to ascertain what mix/master my first copy of Pet Sounds was (I gave it back to my parents after i got the boxset, and now it's vanished). That's the closest candidate, i think.

As for stereo/mono preferences, i honestly don't know. The missing vocal on GOK on the stereo annoys the hell out of me. But i do love the otherwise clearer sound. It's so lush.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 05:35:22 PM »

I think I have this. Up to 3 months ago my only PS.

Date on back 90.7.27
MFD by Toshiba-EMI Ltd Japan 1989 Capitol Records
CP21-6011

No bonus tracks. Large foldout with lyrics in both Japanese and English. Otherside 2 pages of Japanese only. Could be notes from Brian.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 06:03:07 PM »

After the 1999 CD release and later the box set, and later the 40th annivarsary CD/DVD, and then the 40th Annivarsary 2 vinyl set, I'm pretty much done buying this album.  Other than some sort of official release of the multitracks, I'm done.

I would also be interested to hear a mono remix...a folddown of the multitracks to best replicate the original mix, without any digital reverb.  That's what they've done for the intros of several songs on newer releases anyway.  Why not try releasing the whole thing that way as a bonus?
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 06:05:22 PM »

I think I have this. Up to 3 months ago my only PS.

Date on back 90.7.27
MFD by Toshiba-EMI Ltd Japan 1989 Capitol Records
CP21-6011

No bonus tracks. Large foldout with lyrics in both Japanese and English. Otherside 2 pages of Japanese only. Could be notes from Brian.

Actually what you have is the second Japanese CD, which was i believe part of the Pastmasters series.  The first one - the Greenline issue - had "Uneleased Bkg's" and "Hang On To Your Ego" as bonus tracks.  It was pulled immediately, i believe because the bonus tracks hadn't been cleared for release yet.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 06:36:04 PM »

Yeah its the Pastmaster.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=146193

Anyone have a English translation of the inside info or 'obi-strip'?

If anyone is interested, there is a Greenline issue here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beach-Boys-Pet-Sounds-CD-Japan-1st-Press-CP28-1003-SS_W0QQitemZ150349896997QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20090608?IMSfp=TL090608209003r22311
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:42:04 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 01:01:43 AM »

it wasn't in japanese, and was a standard jewel case. Not anything special with regards to packaging/etc. I'm in the UK, so a euro pressing. The notes were just the usual 'we prayed for a lot of love' and that jazz. Could it just be a euro version of the japanese one?

jiggityjars
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 10:36:18 AM »

I have a copy of the Japanese Pastmasters Pet Sounds available for sale. I'm just asking what I paid for it ($15 + shipping). If interested, PM me. Thanks.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 01:14:18 PM »

Yeah its the Pastmaster.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=146193

Anyone have a English translation of the inside info or 'obi-strip'?

If anyone is interested, there is a Greenline issue here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beach-Boys-Pet-Sounds-CD-Japan-1st-Press-CP28-1003-SS_W0QQitemZ150349896997QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20090608?IMSfp=TL090608209003r22311

That's a decent price for the Greenline . . . as I said above, it is NOT the same mastering as the 1990 US or the Pastmasters CD's (which are identical).  My favorite version after the DCC and the AF . . .
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx