gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:14:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Electronic Music Thread  (Read 10611 times)
Jason
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2006, 08:27:23 PM »

I forgot Hugh LeCaine! DAMN IT! And I call myself an electronic music fan!

I've heard of that set, it reads like a laundry list of important electronic music. Heard most of the music on there, so that speaks volumes for the set itself.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2006, 08:50:29 PM »

Yeah, Dripsody is quite mindblowing. I guess a couple other people you didn't mention and are on OHM would be Karlheinz Stiockhausen and Otto Luening. Oh and Pierre Schaeffer.

Watch out for snakes!
cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2006, 09:05:52 PM »

This is like having a Rock and Roll Music thread. There's too much to discuss. On the other hand, too few of the names mean anything to even a minority of most people. And I'm pretty under-informed as a guide.

Let me toss out a few more names as a start.

Iannis Xenakis - not exclusively electronic but a  profoundly influential cyberprophet who helped make music 'algorythmic' (my own dumb term coined this moment) applying all sorts of newfangled mathematical and engineering and architectural principles to musical composition in order to see if the results in any way matched his expectations, the very definition of 'experimental music' in its scientific aspect as opposed to its totally free form improvisatory one. He has inspired the fields of computer design and architecture as much as they inspired him. Plus, his fingerprints (and those of closely related or propinquitous folks) are all over Revolution Number Nine (I believe!)

Luciano Berio's early electronic phase
and Berio's vocalist muse and wife Cathy Berberian: The pitch perfect diva of avant vocalizings: sorry Yoko and other contenders, but she screamed, clucked, and moaned louder and better  first. She could also sing opera as good as nearly anyone, AND sing the Beatles as if they were Mozart. Anyone ever heard this (possibly hugely misguided) record??? I want to:

http://www.franklarosa.com/vinyl/Exhibit.jsp?AlbumID=73

(edit: the link's unstable. Do a google search for ...Berberian Beatles, and pick the first selected site by way of 'cache': the realplayer stream will work)

Save that for later (though listen to the audio link right now: I approve totally despite what the commentator at that site says: this is good humored not unintentionally funny). What you should find first is Berio's electronic-sound-accompanied collage-montage of Berberian improvising on a single word ('Parole' ='Word'), "Voices" from 1961 or so. Its incredible. Steve Reich's early voice-electronics stem from this experiment and others like it (Reich's own "It's gonna Rain" and "Come Out", however, may represent the absolute acme of the form, trance music that  is consciousness raising as well as mind altering, the former about the Cuban Missile Crisis and Nuclear Rain (like Dylan's tune), the latter about Civil rights and black people bleeding. These are intensely beautiful and unsettling 'trips', the more a speech fragment's repeated and refracted the more abstractly beautiful AND profoundly weighty it becomes. Don't listen to me prattling on about these. Just run and buy them!)

Charles Dodge: lesser known name who I include as one who has mined the area described above more doggedly and thoroughly over the course of an entire career than anyone else, a fine master of "electro-acoustic works incorporating speech synthesis." (characterization from http://www.cdemusic.org/artists/dodge.html). He was also my Music Humanities teacher freshman year in college, and a very good one.

Don't forget John Cage,  not so much as a hardcore electronicist (though he helped popularize tape loops in his performances), as for his oblique strategies and selfstyled Buddhist-dada. Eno stands on his shoulders. Another Revolution 9 companero of Lennon's, the flipping of the magic radio dial aspect.

Oh, and the couple that scored FORBIDDEN PLANET, Louis and Bebe Baron, supplying 'electronic tonalities'. Definitely buy the soundtrack and read Bebe's interview in Extremely Strange Music, vol. 2. It's clear the pair believed the gizmos they were creating to make the sounds somehow achieved 'living status'. She describes what they did for the tape recorders as the death cries of little guys having their circuits overloaded! (or something like that)

And re: the bunch of them, my intro to this all was via Zappa's comments on Varese which sent me running to pick up the several samplers of electronic  music then available, all with futuristic covers: a red oscilloscope tattoo; a 2001 sterile white musical laboratory, and the like. Varese has already been mentioned but the opening of Poeme Electronique should be underscored: that Big Ben-like bell tolling has kept tolling through many other artists' tracks over the decades, including Lennon's.

That was a start, but it was works in performance that  made it all make sense for me, or part of it all, the Robert Rauschenberg-Fluxus-Cage spectrum of Happenings, and much later seeing Kraftwerk. (the other part was works whose spectacle was aimed strictly between the ears: the headphone music)

My real guide through all of this was a friend of my parents who knew the whole electronic crew and allied visual artists like Paik and who specialized in doing visual art in concert with them,  literally sometimes, more often in extremely labor-intensive multi slide and movie projector  picture shows (images being cross faded and superimposed etc. etc.) scored and D.J.ed very precisely to pre-recorded tracks by the musicians listed above (and sometimes his own). I'm glad I saw every single one of his performances because  they died the moment the lights came up, and his life's work died with him (luckily, I snagged three or four of his fifties mounted collage works on paper, which he'd taken pains to destroy, just not quite enough! I'm glad to have the mementoes, but I've incurred some bad karma I'm sure in destroying the purity of his self-immolating Buddhist flame!)

EDIT: How  convenient, Brian Eno backs me up on  several of my musical choices. Listen to samples on his 'early gurus of electronic music' anthology cd (that OHM collection referred to above, brand new to me, thanks for alluding to it) here, though he should have dropped the Eno and Hassell tracks (early gurus???Though I admit the tracks chosen show them as very interesting sums of the parts preceding, latterday syntheses suggesting ways beyond the past ) and included an early Steve Reich instead even if it had to take up the entirety of a side! What the collection doesn't and can't get into for practical reasons is that early electronica was often a very, very long form deal (or ordeal), or Steve Reich at all. He remains the greatest artist with broadest possible ongoing relevance of them all defying labels like electronic and minimalist as fast as you throw them at him as far as I'm concerned:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004T0FZ/sr=8-19/qid=1139808539/ref=sr_1_19/104-8916806-0151906?%5Fencoding=UTF8

And one more EDIT: why is Steve Reich so spottily repesented on CD, and where can one find those famous tracks of his I mentioned above?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 11:20:48 PM by cabinessence » Logged
Maybelline
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2006, 12:51:43 AM »

Ulrich Schnauss - listen and love.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 06:42:47 AM »

I love John Cage. I got his Sonatas and Interludes For Prepared Piano recently and currently reading his book Silence. Fasinating guy.
Maybelline
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2006, 08:07:09 AM »

Don't forget New Order  Smiley
Maybelline
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2006, 08:53:09 AM »

And for a recent 'electronic music' GEM, look no further than Boards of Canada, Campfire Headphase. It's stunning. It will transport you to another place for a while.
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2006, 10:04:43 AM »

Boy,I hope at least a few of you touch upon Gary Numan and Ultravox!!!
Bri
cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2006, 08:43:45 PM »

Here are a couple of Electronic music video clips for your consideration from Finnish brothers The Pink Twins who do the pictures as well as the sounds.

http://www.pixoff.net/fi/tekijat/tekija.asp?uID=764

Paini (I think it means "Pain") is the more accessible and pretty conventionally 'entertaining': parts of it could have easily served as an old MTV Headbanger's ball advert. Purple Drain is more ambient. Both show a sure knack for editing sound and image on the fly.

Good, bad, whatever? Decide for yourself. What counts here is how almost 'academically' representative they are of Electronic traditions from forties to present day, nearly every trick in the book is at their disposal (and they know many more besides the ones they diddle with here more or less purposefully). Their talent  was more impressively displayed in the two hour live performance I heard from them yesterday, a very loosely organized  but definitely legit 'modern music' composition supplemented by a full acousto-electronic orchestra.  These are just little idea samplers by comparison, but worth a look-listen. Be sure to watch full screen: the bigger and more all-encompassing definitely the better
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 09:29:38 PM by cabinessence » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 04:45:19 AM »

Bri

How can I not bump a thread that mentions another of my idols (that's Gary Numan, not Ultravox)?! :=)

Does he hold any significance for anyone else here? :-|

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 12:39:07 PM »

Hmm, there's this one guy I'm thinking of, maybe Edward something, was the "grandfather of electronic music".. something about some World's Fair in the 50s..  can't remember anything, though.

That's Edgard Varèse. His Déserts (1950-1954) is arguably the earliest example of live music combined with electronic tape. In 1950 the composer describes the deserts of the title as:

"All those that people traverse or may traverse: physical deserts, on the earth, in the sea, in the sky, of sand, of snow, of interstellar spaces or of great cities,
but also those of the human spirit, of that distant inner space no telescope can each, where one is alone."

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q__g0tgC2wE

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 02:48:58 PM »

Bri

On the subject of Gary Numan, "Complex", from the first album attributed to him personally, is a peerless example of acoustic and electronic elements in perfect harmony----and not a guitar in sight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDwui2n0rd8

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx