gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680741 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 01:56:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lead Vocals ca. 1967-69...Why So Distorted?  (Read 5055 times)
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 05:51:56 PM »

Pardon my ignorance, but how does out of phase-mixing work and what characterizes it?

Beats me. can someone explain it?
[/quote]

I won't go into the real technical aspects, because it requires knowledge of wave mechanics, but essentially what you're doing is splitting whatever track you want to mix out of phase into two separate but equal mono signals.  One is run through with no processing, but the other the phase/polairity is altered electronically by anything up to 90 degrees.  The two signals are thn recombined to one signal which is now out of phase relative to how it started out.  The signal is then mixed with the other tracks normally.

The best way to describe the sound is to say that rather than giving that voice (or whatever was on the track) a discrete location in the mix it's now has a bit of an indistinct, slightly spread out location in the mix and sounds processed.  Listen to Mike Love's lead on "Don't Go Near The Water" through headphones for a good example.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 04:21:31 AM »

Thanks, Jeff, I'll do that!

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 05:41:48 AM »

what was done to the vox on "Transcendental Meditation"?
The sound is so harsh to my ears, causing the opposite of the desired effect of meditating.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx