gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:52:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys
5 - 9 (7.3%)
4 - 22 (17.9%)
3 - 42 (34.1%)
2 - 30 (24.4%)
1 - 15 (12.2%)
0 - 5 (4.1%)
Total Voters: 113

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 102748 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 02:52:07 PM »

Discuss, review and rate The Beach Boys, released May 1985.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 03:05:06 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 02:56:10 PM »

It deserves some fraction that is less than .5, but I'm rounding down. In my judgment, the band should have just quit.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 03:57:01 PM »

Dennis is sorely missed, and this isn't the Beach Boys to me. The remainder of the band try reasonably, with slightly distressing results. Carl's contributions are great, Brian's awful.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 03:57:41 PM »

I really don't dig it. 1.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 09:09:39 AM »

It suffers not from content, but from production. These tunes might have been salvaged had they not used, drum machines & crappy synth programming. Not their worst, but real close.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 09:54:46 AM »

I don't listen to it often these days.  But in the 80's, and even into 90's I listened to it occasionally.  I like about half of it.  The Carl stuff was good.  I do believe one could make a not great, but decent album, combining 85 with KTSA.

Or take those good CW songs and put them with the best stuff from CW and Youngblood for a very nice Carl in the 80's LP.  I think THAT is the way to go. 

And I agree that the production could have been improved significantly.  Even the much maligned MIU album sounded better in that respect.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 12:49:44 PM »

Two - for Where I Belong, Getcha Back (at last a pastiche that isn't half bad), It's Gettin' Late (dumb lyrics) and Male Ego, BW's best contribution.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 08:19:54 PM »

2. This is what made BW88 and Sweet Insanity suck for me: TOO MANY SYNTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes it really suck. I do confess though I do like Getcha Back, I'm So Lonely, and Crack At Your Love (one they are funny and two it works especially ISL).
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 08:35:08 PM »

I listened again today.

I punched myself in the face. Jesus, what trash...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 08:36:25 PM »

It's powered by Satan. Especially Passing Friend.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 08:38:35 PM »

It's powered by Satan. Especially Passing Friend.

I like to think Satan would power music that has more balls. Or at least some balls. Or some soul, good, evil or otherwise. Just something a little less...pasteurized?

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 08:41:10 PM »

No way, man. Satan comes with a soprano sax and a perm, playing mellow sounds for the masses. God powers the heaviness, from Little Richard to Black Sabbath. And there's none of that on this album.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 05:50:05 AM »

I truly don't get the hatred for this album.  True it is largely uninspired.  But it isn't bad (and for the BB, that is saying something.  When they were bad, it was like a train wreck).  There are some majestic moments.  Where I Belong is a great track, and I also like It's Getting Late.  California Calling is fun because of Ringo.  Plus, it was nice to see Brian as a BB again as well.

3 for me -- no masterpiece, but a step up from much of the late 70's work.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 11:53:04 AM »

I just think there is nothing even moderately artistic about it. The entire thing is a series of reworkings of earlier, superior material set to timely production values for a blatantly commercial intent. No real problem with that-people are in it to make money. But it's awful, and thus deserves no money. In fact, I hope they send me my $13 back. (Or whatever the twofer cost for that and KTSA.)

Jason
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 07:01:56 AM »

I just think there is nothing even moderately artistic about it. The entire thing is a series of reworkings of earlier, superior material set to timely production values for a blatantly commercial intent. No real problem with that-people are in it to make money. But it's awful, and thus deserves no money. In fact, I hope they send me my $13 back. (Or whatever the twofer cost for that and KTSA.)

Reworkings of earlier, superior material? What album are you talking about? This is The Beach Boys (the album). Keepin' The Summer Alive would fit the bill of being a series of reworkings of earlier, superior material, but there's nothing trunk about The Beach Boys.
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 11:45:33 AM »

I really don't dig it. 1.

I'm shocked.

Shocked

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 04:46:53 PM »

Reworkings of earlier, superior material? What album are you talking about? This is The Beach Boys (the album). Keepin' The Summer Alive would fit the bill of being a series of reworkings of earlier, superior material, but there's nothing trunk about The Beach Boys.

How about California Calling?

Jason
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 04:49:11 PM »

New song trading on an old formula. So was Kona Coast. Hell, so was almost all of the new material on 15 Big Ones!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 04:55:26 PM »

New song trading on an old formula. So was Kona Coast. Hell, so was almost all of the new material on 15 Big Ones!

And the best of it was mediocre; most of it, worse. I hate 15 Big Ones...but not as much as I hate The Beach Boys (85) or KTSA.

Jason
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 04:57:54 PM »

And the best of it was mediocre; most of it, worse. I hate 15 Big Ones...but not as much as I hate The Beach Boys (85) or KTSA.

15 Big Ones is Pet Sounds compared to KTSA and The Beach Boys. Hell, even MIU is Pet Sounds compared to those two.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2005, 04:58:19 PM »

Preach it, Luther.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2005, 05:03:19 PM »

Preach it, Luther.

Um..okay.

Dominus vobiscum et spiritu tuo.

And, ah...

Requiem aeternam dona eis domine et lux perpetua luceat eis. Te decent hymnus deus in sion et tibi reddetur votem in jerusalem.

How was that?

Jason
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2005, 05:03:49 PM »

In nomine Satanas!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2005, 05:05:22 PM »

I think you'd need to figure out what ablative case of Satan is. Um...no idea what Satan is in Latin, but one would assume (if you use the word satan itself) something like Satanis or Satane.

Jason
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2005, 05:06:37 PM »

Wouldn't it be possessive? In the name of Satan? Maybe it should be Satani.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx