gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:25:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys
5 - 9 (7.3%)
4 - 22 (17.9%)
3 - 42 (34.1%)
2 - 30 (24.4%)
1 - 15 (12.2%)
0 - 5 (4.1%)
Total Voters: 113

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 102666 times)
shakcohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2012, 12:14:49 PM »

You are correct.  I had a chance to listen to the original CBS vinyl and it sounded great.  For way too long I've been dismissive of this LP...but I gave it another chance following a discussion on this forum and it really is not a bad record.  If you can get past the 80's production you'll find some good songs and some impressive singing.  Carl, in particular, kicks butt on this LP.  I love his vocal on "It's Getting Late".  Bruce's lead on "She Believes In Love Again" has a somewhat grittier tone than normal and it sounds good.  I've actually found myself spinning this LP on my iPod in the car on a regular basis these past couple of weeks.  It sounds great turned up loud and played with the windows down on a hot day.  An overlooked effort.

Yes a pleasant album overall. Chill out people!
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »

Mark Dillon's book let me see this LP in a different light.  I kind of wrote it off for years...dismissing it as too "digital" too "80's" sounding.  However...when you consider the fact that it WAS recorded in the mid-80's...and when you can look past that...you'll find a good record.  The songs are fairly strong throughout.  The singing is great (Carl really shines throughout)...and the harmonies are excellent.  I've found myself listening to this on my iPod on a regular basis.  It's a really, really catchy recording.  If you haven't given it a real listening in awhile...do yourself the favor of taking time to do it.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2012, 01:21:48 PM »

Getcha Back is one of the best produced vocal sounds ever, the backing vocals at least

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »

Getcha Back is one of the best produced vocal sounds ever, the backing vocals at least

Yeah, but Mikes vocal is, erm, questionable LOL

Listening again, I always want to break into the chorus of 'Getcha Back' in Crack At Your Love', but the logical chorus would then be 'Getcha Crack', and, well, yeah...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:41:46 AM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »

UGH.

Just bought this album....Okay, call me crazy, but I mostly love the production on this album - the 80s synths are great, I love the reverb heavy drums (I'm a huge fan of Genesis' 'Invisible Touch' - so the production is far from offensive to me).

The songwriting is absolute crap. I mean, all of these songs (besides Getcha Back, Male Ego) have the potential to have great hooks, but they're just not there.

Getcha Back, Crack At Your Love, Maybe I Don't Know, I'm So Lonely, and Male Ego are the only good songs on here. And calling them "good" is a stretch.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2012, 05:37:59 PM »

UGH.

Just bought this album....Okay, call me crazy, but I mostly love the production on this album - the 80s synths are great, I love the reverb heavy drums (I'm a huge fan of Genesis' 'Invisible Touch' - so the production is far from offensive to me).

The songwriting is absolute crap. I mean, all of these songs (besides Getcha Back, Male Ego) have the potential to have great hooks, but they're just not there.

Getcha Back, Crack At Your Love, Maybe I Don't Know, I'm So Lonely, and Male Ego are the only good songs on here. And calling them "good" is a stretch.

Let it grow, brother.
On first listen I liked about half of it, now it's one of my five favorite Beach Boys albums.
The only song I don't think is great on this album is "It's Just A Matter of Time". Never really picks up.
Male Ego is a terrible, terrible song, but it's so bad that it's hilarious - Brian sounds like an old perv looking for chicks at a mall. Can't help but SMiLE every time he utters the phrase "tasty ladies".
Another so-bad-it's-actually-good one is I'm So Lonely. Really Really So Lonely.

Passing Friend is probably my favorite thing on the album. I love Carl's vocal and the playfulness of the vocal melody.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2012, 05:55:56 PM »

UGH.

Let it grow, brother.
On first listen I liked about half of it, now it's one of my five favorite Beach Boys albums.
The only song I don't think is great on this album is "It's Just A Matter of Time". Never really picks up.
Male Ego is a terrible, terrible song, but it's so bad that it's hilarious - Brian sounds like an old perv looking for chicks at a mall. Can't help but SMiLE every time he utters the phrase "tasty ladies".
Another so-bad-it's-actually-good one is I'm So Lonely. Really Really So Lonely.

Passing Friend is probably my favorite thing on the album. I love Carl's vocal and the playfulness of the vocal melody.

I actually bought it partially because of your high praise a month or two back! I remembered you saying how much you liked the sound of it or something, and I LOVE that 80s sound, but I just can't see any 'replay' value in a lot of these songs.

I will keep listening to it though - I really try to like everything they release!

That "tasty" bit in Male Ego made me laugh too LOL I love the chord changes in that song.

Have you heard 'Bop Bop on the Beach'? By Jan and Dean and the Flirts (I think) - co-written with Mike Love and a couple others. It sounds like it would go perfect with this album to my ears.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »

i dig it's just a matter of time and carls songs. they have more life than the rest of that 80s trash. period

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
bluesno1fann
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2013, 06:52:45 PM »

I must say that between 1979 and 2012, there was only one great Beach Boys album. This is it. Extremely underrated.

Getcha Back should have been a much bigger success, certainly far better than Kokomo. Brian's backing still impresses me, considering how i though he had already destroyed his voice.

It's Gettin' Late and Crack At Your Love are both great songs as well. Maybe I Don't Know is my favourite track from this album. She Believes In Love Again is another gem.

It's safe to say that Carl Wilson is the reason why this album is so good, as well as Steve Levine. I actually enjoy the 80's production, i know some people don't, but personally i really like it.

California Calling is the first clunker. It sucks. I know Ringo Starr drums on this, but it's still crap. Passing Friend is a lot better, but sort-of forgettable. I'm So Lonely is the best Brian track on this album, although it's still not as good as Carl's and Bruce's tracks.

Where I Belong is slightly overrated, but still great. I Do Love You took a while to grow on me, now it's a favourite!

The album goes downhill after that, It's Just A Matter Of Time and Male Ego is quite bad, and forgettable.

4/5. A must-check for any Beach Boys fan, and if there is a second batch of remasters, this should be one of them
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:26:54 PM by rockno1fann » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2013, 11:21:52 AM »

Over the years I've come to enjoy it quite a bit.

Highlights: "Getcha Back", "Crack At Your Love" & "Where I Belong".

Rest is so-so. Solid 2/5 (if Pet Sounds is 5/5), overall.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2013, 04:53:54 PM »

In May 1985 I was 16 and heard Getcha Back on the radio which caused me to go buy this album. I found the album inoffensive enough (I already liked Getcha Back, liked Carl's songs) that I went back the next day and bought "All Summer Long" and my life hasn't been the same since. Needless to say, I kind of have a soft spot for Beach Boys 85

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
The Foot Fetish Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2013, 08:54:21 PM »

Guys, I really LOVE this album. It satisfies me as much as Sunflower, Pet Sounds, and Friends...and on some days it is the Beach Boys album
that satisfies me the most. Yes, I know what corncob a lot of people have shoved sideways up their arse about this album and it's production but I'm a child of the 80s (I was 15 when this album was released) so I'm a lot more sympathetic to its production than most people here. I love the layers of production and the tunefulness of the album. I liked "Getcha Back" well enough in 1985 but I went absolutely ape-sheet over "She Believes In Love Again" when I first heard it on the radio in early 1986 when I was about to turn 16 and absolutely in love with a girl named Becki in school. The "oooo-OOOO-ooo" background vocals in the chorus of that song emotionally affects me as the background ooo's on "I Can Hear Music".

I didn't hear the rest of the album until I bought the 2-fer in late 2001 and, except for "California Calling" (which embarrasses me and "Crack At Your Love" which doesn't do a lot for me though I don't necessarily dislike it, I love the rest of the album.

I love the hypnotic sway of the layered harmony vocals on "It's Gettin' Late" and Carl's vocal, as always, is very soulful.

"Maybe I Don't Know" has a rhythm and chord changes with the rhythm that makes me think of a heartfelt, soul-searching walk in the rain. This one kind of makes me think of a cross between 80s Chicago and Kenny Loggins. The obviously synthesized background vocal sound that appears from 1:26 to 1:35 on the 2-fer is one of the most atmospheric goosebump inducing sounds I've ever heard. I love everything about this track.

"Passing Friend" is just a good, solid tuneful pop song to me. A Culture Club track with the Boys' vocals on top of it is what it is to me...and I like a lot of Culture Club songs.

The child-like innocence melody of the part in "I'm So Lonely" has been known to move me to tears thinking of the carefree days of my childhood and what it represents to me....though I will say Brian sounds extremely drunk during the verses.

The Stevie Wonder song "I Do Love You" is yet another highlight for me. The unique scales in the chorus is obviously pure-Stevie and, as usual, I love how Carl delivers it.

"Where I Belong" is probably my all-time favorite Carl lead. I find this track so emotional. Very spiritual, this one is.

Well, okay, I forgot "It's Just A Matter of Time" striking me as very slight...but I love it compared to "California Calling".

And I find "Male Ego" to be a complete joy. Makes me smile from ear to ear when I hear it.

I'm going to give this album a 4. The tracks I don't get much into kept me from giving it a 5.....but I was tempted to go ahead and give it a 5 because the tracks I love  actually makes up for the few I don't care for.

I'm taking this CD to work with me tomorrow. I played Friends,20/20, Sunflower, Surf's Up, So Tough, Holland, and In Concert ('73 album) today at work. Smiley

Nothin' but a foot fetish thang! (Thank you, Brittany Michelle)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2013, 11:56:20 PM »

Guys, I really LOVE this album. It satisfies me as much as Sunflower, Pet Sounds, and Friends...and on some days it is the Beach Boys album
that satisfies me the most. Yes, I know what corncob a lot of people have shoved sideways up their arse about this album and it's production but I'm a child of the 80s (I was 15 when this album was released) so I'm a lot more sympathetic to its production than most people here. I love the layers of production and the tunefulness of the album. I liked "Getcha Back" well enough in 1985 but I went absolutely ape-sheet over "She Believes In Love Again" when I first heard it on the radio in early 1986 when I was about to turn 16 and absolutely in love with a girl named Becki in school. The "oooo-OOOO-ooo" background vocals in the chorus of that song emotionally affects me as the background ooo's on "I Can Hear Music".

I didn't hear the rest of the album until I bought the 2-fer in late 2001 and, except for "California Calling" (which embarrasses me and "Crack At Your Love" which doesn't do a lot for me though I don't necessarily dislike it, I love the rest of the album.

I love the hypnotic sway of the layered harmony vocals on "It's Gettin' Late" and Carl's vocal, as always, is very soulful.

"Maybe I Don't Know" has a rhythm and chord changes with the rhythm that makes me think of a heartfelt, soul-searching walk in the rain. This one kind of makes me think of a cross between 80s Chicago and Kenny Loggins. The obviously synthesized background vocal sound that appears from 1:26 to 1:35 on the 2-fer is one of the most atmospheric goosebump inducing sounds I've ever heard. I love everything about this track.

"Passing Friend" is just a good, solid tuneful pop song to me. A Culture Club track with the Boys' vocals on top of it is what it is to me...and I like a lot of Culture Club songs.

The child-like innocence melody of the part in "I'm So Lonely" has been known to move me to tears thinking of the carefree days of my childhood and what it represents to me....though I will say Brian sounds extremely drunk during the verses.

The Stevie Wonder song "I Do Love You" is yet another highlight for me. The unique scales in the chorus is obviously pure-Stevie and, as usual, I love how Carl delivers it.

"Where I Belong" is probably my all-time favorite Carl lead. I find this track so emotional. Very spiritual, this one is.

Well, okay, I forgot "It's Just A Matter of Time" striking me as very slight...but I love it compared to "California Calling".

And I find "Male Ego" to be a complete joy. Makes me smile from ear to ear when I hear it.

I'm going to give this album a 4. The tracks I don't get much into kept me from giving it a 5.....but I was tempted to go ahead and give it a 5 because the tracks I love  actually makes up for the few I don't care for.

I'm taking this CD to work with me tomorrow. I played Friends,20/20, Sunflower, Surf's Up, So Tough, Holland, and In Concert ('73 album) today at work. Smiley

Smelly Smell, I like a lot of what you've just said. To my dying day I will defend this album with a passion. I think it's a travesty that Where I Belong was left off MIC - it's the greatest song they've released since Baby Blue (and that's including anything on TWGMTR - and I like TWGMTR).
bluesno1fann
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2013, 01:49:35 AM »

To my dying day I will defend this album with a passion.
We are on the same boat then, as I will always defend this criminally underrated and under-appreciated album!  Smiley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2013, 11:47:48 PM »

I was just a few years into my BB's obsession when this album came out, so it was the first one I got to hear as a new release, so I defend it, too. I don't think it's one of their best, but to my ears anyway, it's leagues better than anything else they had put out since the mid-70's resurgence.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2013, 02:15:40 AM »

So underrated that makes me almost cry. Highlights bolded. I rated it 4/5.

Getcha Back 4/5
It's Gettin' Late 3.5/5 It's missing something... But the vocals are awesome.   
Crack at Your Love 4/5
Maybe I Don't Know 3/5
She Believes in Love Again 4/5   
California Calling 2.5/5
Passing Friend 4/5 I dig this a lot.
I'm So Lonely 3.5/5
Where I Belong 3/5
I Do Love You 3/5
It's Just a Matter of Time 3/5

Male Ego 4/5
What's the thing with Male Ego, is it officially a part of the album or not? It's missing from my vinyl copy. Anyway, it's awesome song.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2013, 02:33:05 AM »

Getcha Back 4/5
Crack at Your Love 4/5
Maybe I Don't Know 3/5
California Calling 2.5/5
I'm So Lonely 3.5/5
Where I Belong 3/5
I Do Love You 3/5

Male Ego 4/5
What's the thing with Male Ego, is it officially a part of the album or not? It's missing from my vinyl copy. Anyway, it's awesome song.
Feel the same way. Glad you agree. Maybe I Don't Know should have been rated higher though
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2013, 02:43:30 AM »

Getcha Back 4/5
Crack at Your Love 4/5
Maybe I Don't Know 3/5
California Calling 2.5/5
I'm So Lonely 3.5/5
Where I Belong 3/5
I Do Love You 3/5

Male Ego 4/5
Feel the same way. Glad you agree. Maybe I Don't Know should have been rated higher though
Well I like Maybe I Don't Know, but for me that and the last few songs of the album just sound too much the same.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2013, 11:56:04 PM »

Where I Belong is propably my favorite of the album right now. I'd give it 4.5/5 right now. It should be longer though. I love the melody, lyrics and all the instruments in it. It's very simple and not as over-80's-producted as many other song on the album.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2013, 03:07:35 AM »

Where I Belong is propably my favorite of the album right now. I'd give it 4.5/5 right now. It should be longer though. I love the melody, lyrics and all the instruments in it. It's very simple and not as over-80's-producted as many other song on the album.

I disagree that it should be longer. Don't get me wrong, I find myself longing for that gorgeous chorus to do the rounds just one more time, but that's part of it's brilliance - it leaves you wanting more. As such it's one of those songs that I can just listen to over and over again, such as All I Wanna Do and Don't Worry Baby and Lady.

It leaves me baffled that anyone could rate anything else on the album above this song - there's just so much power in that chorus, it gets me every single time! Incredible tune - not a month goes by that I don't play it. I really want it to be the song at my upcoming wedding, but my Audrey Hepburn-obsessed missus is insisting on Moon River.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2013, 02:37:09 PM »

Was the flip to Getcha Back, or original CD bonus track.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2014, 07:14:08 PM »

3//5 I like this lp but the production bothers me and the 3 BW songs are weak.. I like " Im So Lonely " the best.. The CW songs are great and Bruce"s song is cool also.. Getcha Back is fine + Al"s songs are tryin to sound like the old days + sound forced to me.  The rest are fair.. The vocals are very good but the material + production hurt the promise of this lp.. This is Adult BB music with Mixed results.. This is looking for a hit instead of artistic. Needs decent BW songs + some DENNIS..
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2014, 01:14:21 AM »

3//5 I like this lp but the production bothers me and the 3 BW songs are weak.. I like " Im So Lonely " the best.. The CW songs are great and Bruce"s song is cool also.. Getcha Back is fine + Al"s songs are tryin to sound like the old days + sound forced to me.  The rest are fair.. The vocals are very good but the material + production hurt the promise of this lp.. This is Adult BB music with Mixed results.. This is looking for a hit instead of artistic. Needs decent BW songs + some DENNIS..

But Dennis was dead. I think pulling one of his songs out of the vaults and adding the '80's production to it would've been pretty disrespectful (certainly in hindsight), whereas including one of his songs from the vaults without the '80's production would've left it sticking out like a sore thumb.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2014, 10:17:43 AM »

Excellent post and welcome to the forum, Smelly Smell. I really do respect your feelings towards the album and the way that you expressed them, even though I think 'Beach Boys' is easily one of the worst records I own (and I don't know what the hell was I smoking when I gave it a 3). Aside from 'Where I Belong', I feel that every track gets worse with each new listen.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2014, 09:06:22 AM »

It has become one of my favourite BBs albums. Highlights: GB, IGL, CAYL(♡) & WIB.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx