gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:16:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys
5 - 9 (7.3%)
4 - 22 (17.9%)
3 - 42 (34.1%)
2 - 30 (24.4%)
1 - 15 (12.2%)
0 - 5 (4.1%)
Total Voters: 113

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 102631 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2005, 05:09:01 PM »

Oh, yeah. Name would be ablative (in), but it is genitive. So something like In nomine satani (although it would depend on which declension satan is, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2005, 05:11:20 PM »

Oh, yeah. Name would be ablative (in), but it is genitive. So something like In nomine satani (although it would depend on which declension satan is, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5).

I'm assuming it's a first declension noun. But those nouns that don't end in an a or an i are usually second declension, masculine. In which case it would indeed be In nomine Satani.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2005, 05:23:13 PM »

Seems like we've got that one solved, then. BB85.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jason
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2005, 05:24:49 PM »

Yeah, it sorta sucks. What the f*** is up with I'm So Lonely? What a crappy song, man!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2005, 05:35:47 PM »

That's the best song on the album.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2005, 08:35:20 AM »

I don't know whether to be happy to see Latin on the board (I have a Masters in it) or sad to see a decent little album get trashed...

And it WOULD be genitive case, and I would think it would be a 3rd declension -- Satanis.  But I don't know church Latin that well, just classical.  But you could always do diaboli which is 2nd Declension genitive.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2005, 08:51:44 AM »

Where were you when we needed you yesterday? Either way, glad we got our answer.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2005, 08:52:23 AM »

But "decent little album?" I have to disagree strongly on that (obviously).

Jason
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2005, 08:54:41 AM »

Carl's stuff on The Beach Boys is halfway decent, the rest mostly sucks.
JoeP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2006, 03:16:17 PM »

Yes it was an over produced 80s album, but Carl sounded great and there are some tunes hear that are enjoyable (guilty pleasures or otherwise).  for me, "it's gettin' late" is worth it, but I also like the vocals on "Male Ego" which overcome the very cheesu lyrics. 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2006, 07:43:32 PM »

Is all the New Material on 15 Big Ones reworked from earlier stuff?
i know had to phone ya is from trombone dixie

the cool section in talk to Me, what was that from, is there anymore of it? I think it's Tallahasse Lassie, why was it included?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2006, 07:55:31 PM »

Is all the New Material on 15 Big Ones reworked from earlier stuff?
i know had to phone ya is from trombone dixie

the cool section in talk to Me, what was that from, is there anymore of it? I think it's Tallahasse Lassie, why was it included?

Did you by chance mean for this to go elsewhere? Say, the 15BO thread?

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2006, 08:26:50 PM »

ah, never mind, it was for this post, but it doesnt matter now...i was thinking something else

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2006, 08:36:36 PM »

May I ask why the words "new" and "material" warranted capitalization?

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2006, 08:37:26 PM »

Heh heh.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2006, 08:42:21 PM »

sorry  :D  the sentence started out with that for some reason then i kept it

once i thought i'd be an english major...you see where that went

~post of the century~
-Mikie

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2006, 08:50:09 PM »

I'm a f u cking nerd. See below.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2006, 08:56:52 PM »

you, a nerd? I wear a freaking Boba Fett watch! I'm 21!

i guess that's more along the lines of geek though... Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2006, 09:20:57 PM »

I was actually thinking about why Brian's songs are so below par on here, or at least people dont like them as much...I believe it's because he really didnt want to be with the Beach Boys anymore and was looking to do solo stuff and he already had stuff he wanted to do like there's so many, little childeren, perhaps melt away (i dont know when that was written), and stuff he might have written before the Usher sessions...maybe The First Time was included or even City Blues...but whatever the case, I think he gave the guys his duds: I'm So Lonely and It's just a matter of time, which may have not been a dud, I think he might have written that with Mike, so maybe that was during the BB 85 sessions...He seemed proud enough to preview it on American Band. BUT, Male Ego to me is a fine song, and i believe Landy-Love-Wilson wrote this together so it was part of the BB 85 as well...i dont know...just a thought.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2006, 01:22:40 PM »

I try to listen to this thing once in a while but can't stomach it. Aside from Getcha Back, not much to offer. Very poor and horribly produced. Not Levine's fault, it was the 80's afterall.
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2006, 12:49:55 AM »

BUBBA, YOU ARE AN APOLOGIST OF EVERY WRACKED IDEAL.

THAT SAID, I FEEL LIKE BRIAN IS TALKING TO DENNY FROM THE GRAVE ON "I'M SO LONELY"

AL IS SINGING I'M SO GAY ON " CRACK..."

I LOVE BRI'S MIDDLE 8, THO. LONELY NIGHTS....
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2006, 04:53:47 AM »

Getcha Back is a guilty pleasure but overall unbelievable crap most notably "passing friend" (boy frikkin george writing for the beach boys  Cry) and "California Calling"

CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2006, 11:35:08 AM »

Gotta love Getcha Back, It's Getting Late, and even though it is a big cheeseball I still ove Crack At Your Love.  Other than those, there isnt much about this album I really enjoy.  It's Just A Matter Of Time is pretty good also I suppose.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2006, 10:07:26 PM »

Gotta love Getcha Back, It's Getting Late, and even though it is a big cheeseball I still ove Crack At Your Love.  Other than those, there isnt much about this album I really enjoy.  It's Just A Matter Of Time is pretty good also I suppose.

I agree with your evaluation CD although I'd add "She Believes in Love Again" and "Where I Belong", and maybe "Male Ego" if we're counting that as an album track.  Even the Stevie cover turned out all right.  "Passing Friend" sure is a train wreck though... "Chasin' the Sky" might have been a better choice, although I don't know if that was produced by Steve Levine or not.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2006, 05:43:14 AM »

i totally agree, chasin the sky woulda fit in. and ive always dug the stevie wonder tune as well

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx