gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:18:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys
5 - 9 (7.3%)
4 - 22 (17.9%)
3 - 42 (34.1%)
2 - 30 (24.4%)
1 - 15 (12.2%)
0 - 5 (4.1%)
Total Voters: 113

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 102650 times)
MBE
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2006, 04:22:18 AM »

I hate this album. Brian never sounded worse, the songs stink, yawn!!!! Getcha Back is decent but ugh!!! Tim White Loved this LP WHY
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »

The worst of the 3 80ies album, but some songs are great like "Getcha Back", "It's Getting Late", "California Calling", "It's Just A Matter Of Time" and "Passing Friend".

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2006, 07:05:48 PM »

Getcha Back is a guilty pleasure ...

Nothing guilty about it for me; I've always liked it. I'd have trouble giving the album overall anything above a "2" rating, though.

My advice: Skip the album and find a copy of the "Getcha Back" b/w "Male Ego" 45.
MBE
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2006, 10:32:56 PM »

Getcha Back is a guilty pleasure ...

Nothing guilty about it for me; I've always liked it. I'd have trouble giving the album overall anything above a "2" rating, though.

My advice: Skip the album and find a copy of the "Getcha Back" b/w "Male Ego" 45.

The 45 is what I play I never pull out the LP
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2006, 12:40:32 PM »

Brian's falsetto on Getcha Back is just so.. weird. I can't explain it; it just doesn't sit with me well.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2007, 11:05:29 PM »

I've been listening to this album alot lately. It sucks (especially when you listen to it right after Pet Sounds) but for some reason I can't get enough. Passing Friend should've been released as a single, it's so 80s it would've become a hit. The bass in Crack at Your Love is funky.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2007, 03:38:45 AM »

in Great Britain Passing Friend was released as a single....didn't do a thing in the UK-charts.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2008, 08:50:44 PM »

I actually "get off" (as Brian would say), on this album. I'm aware of it's high cheese content, but it's still an entertaining listen for me. My beach boys discography ends right here. Quite frankly, i'm kind of worried to try 'still cruisin' and 'summer in paradise'.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2008, 12:27:31 AM »

Quite frankly, i'm kind of worried to try 'still cruisin' and 'summer in paradise'.

If I was you (knowing that you like '85) I would get Still Cruisin'. Okay, it's no masterpiece and there is 3 oldies put on there, so basically there's only 7 tracks but most of those aren't that bad (except perhaps Make It Big). But yeah, you can do without Summer In Paradise. You aint missing out on much there.
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2008, 04:58:45 AM »

thanks mikeyj, i'll look into it.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2008, 12:32:18 PM »

The worst of the 3 80ies album, but some songs are great like "Getcha Back", "It's Getting Late", "California Calling", "It's Just A Matter Of Time" and "Passing Friend".

a mention for "Passing Friend" but not "Where I Belong"?!

"Passing Friend" is the worst thing on the album by a long shot. "Maybe I Don't Know" is awful too.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2008, 12:35:19 PM »

"Passing Friend" is the worst thing on the album by a long shot.

Talk about a hard-won honor. There's barely a moment on the album that doesn't make me feel like vomiting.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2008, 01:06:34 AM »

a mention for "Passing Friend" but not "Where I Belong"?!

"Passing Friend" is the worst thing on the album by a long shot. "Maybe I Don't Know" is awful too.

LOL That post was 1 1/2 years ago and since then I love "Where I Belong". And I do love the whole album too, it's not on my favourite top 20 Beach Boys albums list but still it's nice. I can listen to all 12 songs, my favourite is perhaps "She Believes In Love Again".

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2008, 12:20:16 PM »

As bad as this album is, it's better than KTSA, Still Cruisin', and Summer in Paradise. I can listen to the whole album without cringing, but its taken me many many listens to be able to do that. My favorite songs from it are It's Getting Late, She Believes In Love Again, Where I Belong, I'm So Lonely, Male Ego. Where I Belong stands up to their early 70s work, IMO. The rest of the album is mediocre in comparison to that one song.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2008, 10:55:51 PM »

Brian's falsetto on Getcha Back is just so.. weird. I can't explain it; it just doesn't sit with me well.

Some time ago someone posted on some of these boards that it was actually Jeff Foskett doing the falsetto part.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2008, 02:58:10 PM »

As bad as this album is, it's better than KTSA, Still Cruisin', and Summer in Paradise.

blasphemy! KTSA is a great album! take that back!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2008, 06:47:03 AM »

I listened to it for the first time in years today, and was surprised to find myself quite enjoying it. Carl definitely puts in some great performances. Of course the production is awful, but the majority of songs are pretty acceptable - though I could do without Passing Friend (crap lyrics, forgettable tune) and California Calling (enough with the fuckin' surfing already. You're middle aged men - take off the bad Hawaiian shirts and grow up, I don't care if you are trying to pass it off as 'arch' or a pastiche). 'I Do Love You' is really poor. I bet Stevie Wonder has a trunk full of songs like this that he didn't think were good enough to put on one of his own albums.

'Maybe I Don't Know' would have done pretty well in the UK as a single at that time. Gary Moore does a good job on that track.

'Where I Belong' is really good. Shame it had to be on this album...would have been a classic if they'd recorded it 12 years earlier.

'It's Just A Matter Of Time' is pretty nice, as is 'Getcha Back'. 'Male Ego' is ok too.

So this one just about scrapes a 3 from me.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2008, 12:12:04 AM »

the production is horrendous, but i'm REALLY digging 'where do i belong', 'i do love you', and 'its just a matter of time'

its hard to explain really :/

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2008, 08:57:57 AM »

For some odd reason, I really love the intro to "It's Gettin' Late".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2008, 10:00:23 AM »

I don't like it. The sound is soooo sterile and lifeless. Stewart Levine didn't have any 'feeling' for the band. Even the vocs sound as if they were generated by a computer.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2008, 10:59:47 PM »

I like about half the songs/arrangements. The sound I can live with, though I think Brian Wilson 88 uses that eighties technology much more effectively. This and KTSA are probably two of the worst albums I own, but I don't hate them as much most of you do--the Stevie Wonder song is awesome, too.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2008, 07:27:06 AM »

It's gotten to the point where I like every song on this album. Carl's voice can turn any bad song into a good one.

8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2008, 07:57:13 AM »

Gave it another try last week. Still, there's only two tracks I like: "Where I Belong" and "Goin' On".

A "vocals only" version of this one would be nice to have.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2008, 08:10:09 AM »

Gave it another try last week. Still, there's only two tracks I like: "Where I Belong" and "Goin' On".

I know they're on the same 2-fer. But Goin' On is definitely on Keepin' The Summer Alive...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2008, 08:14:03 AM »

I know they're on the same 2-fer. But Goin' On is definitely on Keepin' The Summer Alive...
Embarrassed Yep, shame on me.... Goes to show how much I love those two albums....  Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx