gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:39:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys
5 - 9 (7.3%)
4 - 22 (17.9%)
3 - 42 (34.1%)
2 - 30 (24.4%)
1 - 15 (12.2%)
0 - 5 (4.1%)
Total Voters: 113

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 105017 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2012, 11:36:24 AM »

Funny, until today I do not remember anybody really liking Passing Friend. Here we get two. Everytime I hear it I imagine Boy George with Carl's face and beard. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »

1.    "Getcha Back"   
2.    "It's Gettin' Late"     
3.    "Crack at Your Love"   
4.    "Maybe I Don't Know"      
5.    "She Believes in Love Again"      

6.    "California Calling"      
7.    "Passing Friend"      
8.    "I'm So Lonely"      
9.    "Where I Belong"   
10.    "I Do Love You"      
11.    "It's Just a Matter of Time"   
12.    "Male Ego"   
Seriously, take out those 4 songs and give it a listen. Of course it has some 80's flare it is BB85! Every band, group or act was tainted by the 80's sound/fashion in a way. The songs are catchy and listenable if you can get use to the production. 3.5/5 but I'll round it up to 4/5.  Wink 2

Mate, there's only four decent songs on the album and you've taken out two of them!!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2012, 06:21:07 AM »

I don't get the hate for Passing Friend. It's not great, but it's not the piece of sh*t everyone thinks it is. I'll say that I like it more than I'm So Lonely.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2012, 06:46:04 AM »

If I play the album in full I don't bypass it, but then again I don't go out of my play it on it's own either. My least favorite track beside this one is California Calling. Probably their worst try at recapturing their past glory.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2012, 06:10:10 AM »

Beneath the terrible production, there is some material I kind of enjoy. 'Getcha Back', 'It's Gettin' Late' and 'Where I Belong' are good songs to me, and I even enjoy 'She Believes In Love Again'.

An improvement over 'Keepin' The Summer Alive' and definitely better than the other 80's and 90's albums, but weaker than anything from the 70's. 3.
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »

Man, Am I glad that I don't have your taste. Wink

And you as well. Maybe I smoke too much reefer but I honestly think this album is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be! Passing Friend is good for the era, so much better than most of the crocks of sh*t coming out in '85.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2012, 09:54:19 AM »

I like 'Where I Belong' alot, I think its a very fine 80's song.

I like 'Male Ego' for some reason the lyrics cry out that its Brian. Like a 80's production of Love You/Adult Child, am I a bad person now?
What do people think about this song? is it bad? good?
The lyrics speak truth though, so much truth.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »

I like 'Where I Belong' alot, I think its a very fine 80's song.

I like 'Male Ego' for some reason the lyrics cry out that its Brian. Like a 80's production of Love You/Adult Child, am I a bad person now?
The lyrics speak truth though, so much truth.

I think people around here like it more than I do. For me, it's somewhere in the "decent" zone. Not as bad as 'Maybe I Don't Know' or 'Passing Friend', but definitely not a highlight. It's a take it or leave it.

I've never liked Brian's voice. He sounds like shouting. I get that the lyrics are funny in some way, but that's not enough, IMO.
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2012, 12:27:20 PM »

I wouldn't call it brilliant, but it screams "Brian" to me in a way that not one of the actual BB '85 album tracks really does. I remember being surprised, having obtained it via the "Getcha Back" 45 and then listening to the album itself, that it didn't make the original album lineup.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »

If I play the album in full I don't bypass it, but then again I don't go out of my play it on it's own either. My least favorite track beside this one is California Calling. Probably their worst try at recapturing their past glory.
Funny how some things don't age well. At the time, CC was one of my favs on the album. Now it just seems dated, even if it is the least 80's production on the album.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2012, 02:57:41 PM »

Never heard the entire album but head enough to make a partial review. The main problem with the album is the production. It's too 80s slick. That was my major problem. It's also lackluster, which is why I never really bothered to seek out the entire album. There are however, some decent songs. Getcha Back although it would sound way better without the slick production, It's Getting Late has a killer Carl vocal, Crack at Your Love has a great Al vocal, Male Ego for Brian, and She Believes in Love Again is also a good track. My major problem with the production is the use of electronic drums. The sound of them is just jarring to my ears and I found them annoying. Dennis is sorely missed here, had he been alive I believe the outcome might be different.

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »

I've just given the KTSA/TTB two-fer another chance.  I don't know why...but I have their entire catalog and then some on my iPod so I thought what the heck.  The Beach Boys has it's moments...but it's such a relic of its time.  Way too electronic.  Mike's vocal on Getcha Back makes me cringe.  The music has no soul...it sounds like it was created by robots and the band just sang on top of it (oh wait, that's basically what happened)!  I guess all you can say is that it was an attempt to stay "hip" though I'd say that by 1985...Levine and his sound were already a bit past their freshness date.  He gets a lot of props for his work with the Culture Club...but they were essentially through after 1984's bad "Waking Up With the House On Fire".  Brian doesn't sound like he's all that happy to be there...but then again he was in the middle of the Doctor Eugene Landy Twilight Zone...so who knows what was going on.  They tried...they succeeded in a few halfway decent songs...but nothing you want to think too deeply about.  Still...it contains nothing as bad as "Livin' With A Heartache" which sounds like a Kenny Rogers/Alabama reject!

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »

The thing I like about this album, the more I listen to it, is the strange collision between Levine's and Brian/The Beach Boys' styles of production, best demonstrated by Getcha Back. You can feel the Brian coming out of that - the percussion hit on the 4, the block harmonies, bari saxes doing THAT line, strategic doubling of Mike  - versus all the eighties 'modern' techniques. "You want echo on the snare" turns into it becoming a gated monstrosity, the harmonies are precise to the point as not human, looping BW's falsetto, terrible effects on Mike...

It's such an anachronism, because you can feel that Carl really embraced it and unleashed some Prince-ian tight processed whiteboy soul (It's Gettin Late being the prime example) and Bruce just did powerballads. And then you have BW's doo-wop "Gene says I should put my good songs on my solo album, so I'm going to rewrite X" and Al and Mike being, well, Al and Mike. SoCal goofs.

It's such a weird album in it's mediocrity.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »

Weird how so much synth and sax can hurt an album but yet it can help an album like Love You

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2012, 02:15:18 PM »

I just listened to California Calling in my car and it sounded great, I really enjoyed it. I kinda wished this type of instrumentation and production would have been used on this album instead of the latter that used all over the album.

BTW, why so much hate for Male Ego?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2012, 08:15:14 AM »

There's something terribly wrong with me. I bought the twofer about a month ago, mainly so I could have KTSA. KTSA has better production values by a long shot, but I kept coming back to BB85, and I really, really like it now. I know I should be repulsed by the synths, sterile vocal sound, and everything else, but I just end up enjoying the album despite all of that. I think Passing Friend is a fantastic track - Carl rips into the vocal and tears it a new one. Crack At Your Love is so damn catchy, the backing track is so awful that it's awfully good, and Al's vocal is impassioned. I Do Love You is overlong, but it's full of twists and turns vocally - very melodic stuff. There isn't a song I dislike on this album now, although It's Just A Matter of Time doesn't hit the spot for me.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »

There's something terribly wrong with me. I bought the twofer about a month ago, mainly so I could have KTSA. KTSA has better production values by a long shot, but I kept coming back to BB85, and I really, really like it now. I know I should be repulsed by the synths, sterile vocal sound, and everything else, but I just end up enjoying the album despite all of that. I think Passing Friend is a fantastic track - Carl rips into the vocal and tears it a new one. Crack At Your Love is so damn catchy, the backing track is so awful that it's awfully good, and Al's vocal is impassioned. I Do Love You is overlong, but it's full of twists and turns vocally - very melodic stuff. There isn't a song I dislike on this album now, although It's Just A Matter of Time doesn't hit the spot for me.

I'm with you, man. It's nowhere near as bad as people make out. It's certainly not in the MIU/KTSA/SIP league of awfulness that's for sure. There's terrific songs on there to discover amidst the poor tracks and the dated production: It's Gettin' Late, Where I Belong, I Do Love You, Male Ego - these are all strong songs, especially Where I Belong, which to me is a BB classic!
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »

It took me way too long to give BB85 a real chance...but it's not a bad LP...if you can look beyond the somewhat dated production.  I think they're in really fine voice.  Carl especially kicks major butt on this LP. 

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2012, 02:00:51 PM »

the vinyl experience of this album is what turned me on to the album. I had always heard here on the board that the vinyl sounds a bit "ballsier" and the folks who said that were right! Take a listen to it on there and see what I mean. It makes me appreciate the album that much more.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2012, 03:04:07 PM »

I've got a copy that I bought used...looks like it's been played once.  I'll give it a spin tonight!

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2012, 06:37:51 PM »

You are correct.  I had a chance to listen to the original CBS vinyl and it sounded great.  For way too long I've been dismissive of this LP...but I gave it another chance following a discussion on this forum and it really is not a bad record.  If you can get past the 80's production you'll find some good songs and some impressive singing.  Carl, in particular, kicks butt on this LP.  I love his vocal on "It's Getting Late".  Bruce's lead on "She Believes In Love Again" has a somewhat grittier tone than normal and it sounds good.  I've actually found myself spinning this LP on my iPod in the car on a regular basis these past couple of weeks.  It sounds great turned up loud and played with the windows down on a hot day.  An overlooked effort.

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2012, 02:00:55 PM »

I heard quite a lot about this album prior to picking up the KTSA/BB85 two-fer in 2000. Much of what I read was dismissive. Until I bought the CD, all I'd ever heard from the album was 'Getcha Back' which I loathed (still do), so I was worried.

Well, this album is not quite as bad as I figured it would have been. I like, I guess a bit in a guilty pleasure way, 'It's Gettin' Late' (Carl can sing just about ANY song and turn it from garbage to more than listenable), 'Maybe I Don't Know', 'I'm So Lonely' (seriously!), 'Where I Belong' and the great doo-wop vibe of 'It's Just A Matter of Time'. Everything else on the album sucks in my opinion and should be avoided at all costs.

Carl Wilson is almost the only reason to listen to a lot of post-Love You BBs albums.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2012, 05:46:35 PM »

I heard quite a lot about this album prior to picking up the KTSA/BB85 two-fer in 2000. Much of what I read was dismissive. Until I bought the CD, all I'd ever heard from the album was 'Getcha Back' which I loathed (still do), so I was worried.

Well, this album is not quite as bad as I figured it would have been. I like, I guess a bit in a guilty pleasure way, 'It's Gettin' Late' (Carl can sing just about ANY song and turn it from garbage to more than listenable), 'Maybe I Don't Know', 'I'm So Lonely' (seriously!), 'Where I Belong' and the great doo-wop vibe of 'It's Just A Matter of Time'. Everything else on the album sucks in my opinion and should be avoided at all costs.

Carl Wilson is almost the only reason to listen to a lot of post-Love You BBs albums.
Someone once said that Carl could sing the phonebook and it'd be great.

BTW, no love for Male Ego?
It's always been a highlight for me.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2012, 07:19:47 PM »

I just can't get into 'Male Ego'. I like it a bit better than the dreadful 'California Calling' and the pitiful 'Getcha Back', but I still don't like it very much.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2012, 11:46:21 AM »

I agree re Getcha Back. There is just NOTHING TO IT. The chorus sounds like a particuarly uninspiring bridge leading up to an actual chorus that never arrives. It's so flimsy and lightweight. It definately deserves to be ranked alongside the weaker material on the album, not the good stuff.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx