gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:46:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis: Post Bambu-----1979-1983  (Read 17318 times)
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2009, 09:17:20 AM »

I do remember from I think Gaines' "Heroes and Villains," that Dennis sued them for assault and won a paltry $300. He screamed out in court "Oh no, I got beat up for $300!" If I'm wrong with any of this, please let the experts correct me.

Damn, I need[/ to get my hands on a copy of the Gaines book!!
quote]

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=2881945&matches=92&wquery=Heroes+and+Villains&cm_sp=works*listing*title

Here is the website for Alibirs.com   A fantastic used book store where I personally have found many books on our fav subject. Enjoy searching through and buying a few "new" books!!! Jon's book is sometimes listed for sale here as well.

I can't get this quote thing right on here...please excuse!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:31:35 PM by DonnaK » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2009, 10:53:36 AM »

I do remember from I think Gaines' "Heroes and Villains," that Dennis sued them for assault and won a paltry $300. He screamed out in court "Oh no, I got beat up for $300!" If I'm wrong with any of this, please let the experts correct me.

Damn, I need to get my hands on a copy of the Gaines book!!
Very entertaining read.  I keep my copy in the john.  I read a page or two while doing my business.  I don't know how true that stuff is...but man, is it hard to put down!!!!!!

The financial stuff concerning contracts and management, especially in the 70s, is very accurate... as it should be, given the source of the information.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2009, 03:56:32 PM »

Since there were several songs on Youngblood that Carl had no hand in writing, it's too bad he didn't choose to do a Dennis tune. Even though Dennis was pretty far gone then, you wonder if Carl could have said he wanted to do, say, Love Remember Me, and ask Dennis to work on it with him. It might have been a nice lift for Dennis.
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2009, 05:39:55 PM »

It might have been a nice lift for Dennis.

... and Youngblood.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2009, 11:42:50 PM »

Wouldn't have fitted the awful AOR sound that Carl seemed to be interested in pursuing at that time.

Honk! Honk!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »

I can't remember if I asked this:  but there should be -- or perhaps I should create one myself, or has anybody else done this? -- a Dennis Wilson box set.  Gathering his solo and Beach Boy tracks together?

Is there a list of all the Denny tracks on the interweb that could get a man started with such an endeavor?

Of course I'd love a professionally done box-set, with a great book and wonderfully remastered sound, like POB...but...I think it would be an EXCELLENT study and means of appreciating his music.

For me...the Denny tracks are often distracting from the Beach Boys albums (I'm thinking Carl and the Passions, mainly) so I wasn't able to appreciate them then.  A professional set would allow that perspective -- and appreciation -- of just how gifted an artist he was.

He was truly a wholly unique and new direction for the band, that to fully "get" would have required a unified move in that direction for the band...which they couldn't really do -- especially by the mid 70s.  So stuffing these diamonds into the  less-than-forward-thinking Beach Boy albums at the time, wasn't a very fitting home for them.

A Dennis Wilson box set needs to happen!  Gathering all the songs together seems long overdue. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:38:29 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2009, 11:55:05 AM »

I can't remember if I asked this:  but there should be -- or perhaps I should create one myself, or has anybody else done this? -- a Dennis Wilson box set.  Gathering his solo and Beach Boy tracks together?

I did this as a 2-CD set back in 2000 at the request of my friend/fellow BB/BW fan Gary Pig Gold.  It included all the BB stuff that was released at the time - both what he wrote and what he sang leads on -  POB in its entirety, the best-sounding, most complete "Bambu" tracks out there at the time, and a few other footwear items.  I probably didn't make more than 6 or 7 for myself, Gary, and some other friends, but as you all know once it's out there it tends to proliferate.  A few years later I found some guy from Spain selling copies on ebay (with poor scans of the artwork; he was doing the same to my 6-CD COMPLETE BEACH BOYS U.S. SINGLES set), and then the track listing showed up on the Bootleg Zone website:

Disc 1
http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=soundoffreevol1&section=14

Disc 2
http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=soundoffreevol2&section=176

Here's the unadultered front cover and tray card artwork:

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx