gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:38:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis: Post Bambu-----1979-1983  (Read 17317 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 07:27:21 AM »

Dennis drummed on the 10/15/79 Western session for "Johnny B. Goode" and contributed percussion to "Endless Harmony" at Jardine's Barn on 11/11/79. That's all.

Anyone ever heard "Johnny b goode"? How does it sound? Wasn't their version of "Back in the USSR" also recorded around this time (or didn't it have anything to do with KTSA)?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 09:22:03 AM »

"Back In The USSR" is an Endless Summer Beach Band recording - Mike's side project.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 04:43:03 AM »

I've heard at least two separate people who should know tell me there's Dennis stuff up through '82. 
Including the September 3, 1982 session for "Labor Day", then. Boy, would I love to hear this (not a pm request, I know it isn't around Smiley).

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 11:26:21 PM »

Labor Day? Is that a sequel to Fourth of July?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2009, 07:59:04 AM »

Labor Day? Is that a sequel to Fourth of July?
I know it was written the day Gage Wilson was born.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2009, 10:05:25 AM »

It's doubtful anything exisits of this track.  It only gets mentioned because I came across a billing sheet for this from the studio that had housed the old Brother Studios.  In it's final days it was owned by SST Records, and bore no resemblance to Brother in its hey-day, no to what it was when Tom Scott owned it.
I actually have only a vague memory of being there that day...  My memories of the day are much more vivid regarding the hospital, and Gage's birth!  However, Dennis was on quite a run for a couple of days there; (he even disappeared for awhile, and showed up at Karen Lamm's.  Fortunately, she threw him out, and made him return to the hospital). 
If he did manage to really lay anything down that day, I'm sure the bill was never paid, and the tape went with the studio...
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 03:14:29 PM »

It's doubtful anything exisits of this track.  It only gets mentioned because I came across a billing sheet for this from the studio that had housed the old Brother Studios.  In it's final days it was owned by SST Records, and bore no resemblance to Brother in its hey-day, no to what it was when Tom Scott owned it.
I actually have only a vague memory of being there that day...  My memories of the day are much more vivid regarding the hospital, and Gage's birth!  However, Dennis was on quite a run for a couple of days there; (he even disappeared for awhile, and showed up at Karen Lamm's.  Fortunately, she threw him out, and made him return to the hospital). 
If he did manage to really lay anything down that day, I'm sure the bill was never paid, and the tape went with the studio...

Hey, then I can still dream! Imagine the tape showing up, containing a three minute piano driven ballad with rudimentary instrumentation (vibes, drums, moog bass and guitar) and Dennis singing a short-ranged melody, maybe just spanning a couple of notes (if even that much was possible). Last chapter in the musical saga of Dennis Wilson. As I said, I can dream, can't I?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 04:37:12 PM »

Hey, then I can still dream! Imagine the tape showing up, containing a three minute piano driven ballad with rudimentary instrumentation (vibes, drums, moog bass and guitar) and Dennis singing a short-ranged melody, maybe just spanning a couple of notes (if even that much was possible). Last chapter in the musical saga of Dennis Wilson. As I said, I can dream, can't I?

Sure...except the song of your dreams would be a more elaborate production than what's apparently on tape, as the bill for the session (which Ed has) indicates only piano, bass & vocal were recorded...and the bass was wiped and replaced by the vocal.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 07:18:47 PM »

I just participated in a lengthy interview with Tom Murphy, who as much as anyone was with Dennis trying to record him in the spiraling days. He is pretty emphatic that Dennis had lost the ability to concentrate enough to be productive in the studio by '79. He described it as a really sad thing. But there was no ability to focus on the work at hand for more than a few fleeting moments at a time according to Tom. In the POB period Dennis was known for pulling off marathon sessions, never losing his focus, and basically out lasting and out working everyone around him. But by '79 this ability was gone according to Tom, and getting any real work done was impossible with Dennis. He had written so much through the '70's that he was still a virtual jukebox of snippets and motifs and could sit down at a piano and play tons of things that were partial or being "developed", but there was no ability to finish anything. Tom described DW as like an Olympic cyclist who used to win races a few years earlier, Dennis could still ride the bike, but he could never make it anywhere near the finish line in his last few years. If there's anything from the post '79 days its going to be bits, pieces, fragments...and probably really loosely performed.
MBE
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 08:46:29 PM »

Jon that's the vibe I've had about Dennis 1979 and on. Talking to various people I didn't think he had much really finished in those years. Thanks for helping confirm that.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2009, 10:27:55 PM »

Thanks for the insight, Jon. Thanks to Mr. Roach too. Man, the more that I read into Dennis, the sadder the story gets. I don't know if I'm more sad or angry. It's so fustrating to hear and read about such a great talent slipping away. I just want to go back in time and grab Dennis and slap him and say WAKE UP!!!!! It's always the best talents that never realise what they are capable of doing. I listen to the POB/Bambu set, and his talent is GLARINGLY obvious.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2009, 05:04:35 AM »

I just participated in a lengthy interview with Tom Murphy

In preparation for a new cd release maybe?             ;-)

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2009, 09:05:02 AM »

I just participated in a lengthy interview with Tom Murphy

In preparation for a new cd release maybe?             ;-)
New Dennis documentary for BBC TV...see thread from a few weeks ago.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2009, 09:43:49 PM »

Ok, I have a question that is kind of Dennis related.  On the 1981(or 82?) Cocaine Sessions bootlegs, it's always listed as "Brian and Dennis". But Brian sings every song(at least what's bootlegged), and there is just one other voice on the tape besides Brian's, and it doesn't sound like Dennis. Are we really sure if he's on the tape that exists?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2009, 11:53:36 PM »

Ok, I have a question that is kind of Dennis related.  On the 1981(or 82?) Cocaine Sessions bootlegs, it's always listed as "Brian and Dennis". But Brian sings every song(at least what's bootlegged), and there is just one other voice on the tape besides Brian's, and it doesn't sound like Dennis. Are we really sure if he's on the tape that exists?

Dennis was tape op. And keyboards.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2009, 10:08:54 AM »

If there's anything from the post '79 days its going to be bits, pieces, fragments...and probably really loosely performed.
You probably don't have much to go by, but was his singing voice completely gone by 81-82?....I know it was by 83.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
MBE
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2009, 03:07:50 PM »

If there's anything from the post '79 days its going to be bits, pieces, fragments...and probably really loosely performed.
You probably don't have much to go by, but was his singing voice completely gone by 81-82?....I know it was by 83.
His voice was gone after the beating he got on superbowl Sunday 1981.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2009, 05:11:18 PM »

Who did the beating on Dennis on Superbowl Sunday 1981?Huh
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2009, 09:21:34 PM »

Who did the beating on Dennis on Superbowl Sunday 1981?Huh
Wasn't it one of the Love's?
MBE
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2009, 11:55:38 PM »

Stan and Rocky
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2009, 08:02:59 AM »

Stan and Rocky

I bought the LP that serves as my avatar at Amoeba Records in Hollywood maybe five years ago, and it's in a clear plastic sleeve to which someone has drawn in a cartoon balloon pointing at Rocky's head that says, "I beat the sh*t out of Dennis Wilson."
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2009, 09:42:16 AM »

This was pre-Shaun Love, so why the beating?Huh Because he was giving Brian drugs?Huh?
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2009, 10:00:35 AM »

This was pre-Shaun Love, so why the beating?Huh Because he was giving Brian drugs?Huh?
It wasn't pre-Shawn; it occurred at a house they had together in the Marina.

I bought the LP that serves as my avatar at Amoeba Records in Hollywood maybe five years ago, and it's in a clear plastic sleeve to which someone has drawn in a cartoon balloon pointing at Rocky's head that says, "I beat the merda out of Dennis Wilson."
How bizarre...  Not to malign him, but I'd written on another board about a year ago about bumping into Rocky, and it was in front of Amoeba Records on Sunset Blvd.!  Sadly, he looked rather thin, and he was working handing out free movie passes.  I happened to be in a 3 piece suit, and didn't think he'd remember me.  However, when I mentioned my name, the color drained from his face.  Maybe, just maybe, he's paid the price all his life for what he & Stan did that day.  Cause it sure brought the end on a lot quicker.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2009, 11:37:03 AM »

I remember I was onstage around '94 at the Wondermints Christmas party as one of the guest performances and I was shooting my mouth off like the cocky young buck I was about Mike Love's lawsuit.  After I got offstage, this guy comes and gets in my face about it, defending Mike and giving me a hard time.  I realized to my horror that it was Rocky Pamplin, another one of those "only in L.A., watch your mouth" kind of moments.  After he mellowed out we had a decent chat, but it sure was jarring.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2009, 11:38:11 AM »

Obviously the big question is, did Rocky still have that sweet-ass mustache that made him look like an only slightly more butch Freddie Mercury?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx