gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 05:22:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any outtakes from "KTSA" ever released?  (Read 5513 times)
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2009, 01:38:20 PM »

Hey everyone, I was recently looking through a BB recording history and a few unfamiliar titles popped up as I was looking through the recording sessions for "Keepin' the Summer Alive." They include "I'll Always Love You," "Surfer Suzie," "Why Didn't I Tell You," "Smokey Places" and "Boys & Girls." Has anyone ever heard these songs? If so, are they available via bootleg or otherwise? I'm not asking for the songs per se, but it would be nice to know whether or not they're actually "out there" somewhere.  Wink Thanks!

P.S. Is is true the BB re-recorded "Been Way Too Long" late in the "KTSA" sessions?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 02:43:44 PM »

"Why Didn't I Tell You" became "Goin' On" - thankfully minus the bizarre drum solo. "Surfin' Suzie" is an Ed Carter song, not at all bad. Anoher outtake is "Goin' To The Beach", again, not that bad.

As for "CWTL", some work was done on overdubbing the original tapes, rather than a complete re-recording.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 03:24:27 PM »

Da Doo Ron Ron and Little Girl are also from these sessions and both are booted. The latter was produced by BW and has a Carl scratch vocal. The former is a group vocal with Carl on lead, and it really sucks.
MBE
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 03:41:19 PM »

Why Didn't I Tell You and an early Oh Darlin with Brian on lead is around police
Jason
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 05:25:05 PM »

There are several Brian/Mike and solo Brian recordings from around the KTSA period as well. Brian and Mike did a long session in mid-80 that resulted in about seven songs IIRC. Three have been booted but all exist. The booted three are River Deep Mountain High with unfinished vocals, Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love with Brian and Mike on lead and backing vox, and Be My Baby with Mike on lead - this latter was the basis for the version on Looking Back With Love. Brian also did versions of My Solution and Shortenin' Bread with no vocals around the same time.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 02:50:38 AM »

The Wilson/Love sessions were a week in June 1980, at Mike's house in Santa Barbara:

Be My Baby*
River Deep Mountain High*
Greenback Dollar
Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love ?*
Bucks (ML song)
Children Of The Night (ML song)
I'm A Man* (BW, not the Spencer Davis song)

[* vocals recorded]

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 02:52:18 AM »

There are several Brian/Mike and solo Brian recordings from around the KTSA period as well.

Errr... KTSA had been released for three months by the time of these recordings.  Roll Eyes

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 07:53:43 AM »

Greenback Dollar

I love that song! Has anyone heard this recording, and did they do a decent job of it?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »

Never heard that one. River Deep is rough but had potential.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 10:27:39 PM »

Anyone know if "I'm a Man," "I'll Always Love You," "Surfin' Suzie," or "Little Girl" have ever been released on bootleg or otherwise?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 11:52:58 PM »

"Little Girl" has been booted: Desper played me "Suzie" more years ago than I care to admit - it's retro, but in no way objectionable, and would have been on KTSA had Eddie agreed to relinquish his credit on it.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 03:13:35 AM »

"Suzie" ...would have been on KTSA had Eddie agreed to relinquish his credit on it.

Erm, and to whom would credit have then been given?

I don't quite follow the band's thinking on that, given that they hardly needed the royalties, and that they covered Chuck Berry's "School Days (Ring Ring Goes the Bell)" on the same album.

How many others songs might they have similarly stolen... I mean, appropriated ... from other musicians, composers and lyricists over the years?

“We live in divisive times.”
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 07:13:18 AM »

"Suzie" ...would have been on KTSA had Eddie agreed to relinquish his credit on it.

Perhaps divided up among some "contributors" in the way that Love/Melcher "co-wrote" Kokomo "with" John Phillips & Scott MacKenzie, or the way Mike gets 50% of the lyric royalties for Good Vibrations.

Mike: "Surfer Suzie...she's a real doozy" - where's my 50%, Eddie?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 07:17:11 AM »

I don't quite follow the band's thinking on that, given that they hardly needed the royalties, and that they covered Chuck Berry's "School Days (Ring Ring Goes the Bell)" on the same album.

How many others songs might they have similarly stolen... I mean, appropriated ... from other musicians, composers and lyricists over the years?

Well, in the case of a recent release by a member of The Beach Boys, some of the credits are, shall we say, less than entirely accurate, which might have something to do with a name being notably absent from the "thanks" section of the liners. Allegedly.  Roll Eyes

Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 09:27:20 AM »

Another prime example being :
http://www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com/#/its-about-time/4517958509

Smokin

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 03:10:36 PM »

"I Will Always Love You" I don't think has ever been booted but it's been played in public before -- at the Carl Wilson Foundation show for one (I think as part of the Carl doc) and not putting it out to me was really dumb if they were looking for a hit...it would have been a perfect A/C radio hit in 1980.  It may have been too "mature" for the record, or they may not have wanted to go with outside writers, but it's more commercial in the pure radio sense than anything on KTSA.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 03:32:06 PM »

Well, in the case of a recent release by a member of The Beach Boys, some of the credits are, shall we say, less than entirely accurate, which might have something to do with a name being notably absent from the "thanks" section of the liners. Allegedly.  Roll Eyes

Oh you tease, with your rolly eyes and all  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 04:30:12 PM »

That might be open to misinterpretation, given that so many members/former members of the band are releasing stuff at the moment.     Roll Eyes

I guess we know which member you're talking about -  can we assume this is another example of mismanagement?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:03:31 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 01:49:56 AM »

I presume we're not talking Hallmark releases here?

So who's the name left out of the credits?
Naive Teen Idol
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 04:58:54 AM »

What about the video?  I'm not sure where I saw it, but I read that the guys had the KTSA sessions videotaped b/c they had a feeling this was the last time they'd have Brian in the studio running the show.  I've seen the Goin' Platinum stuff with the "Goin' to the Beach' rehearsal (which is awesome, btw) -- but that's all.  Is there more?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 05:43:40 AM »

So the TLOS lyrics are all Mike Love's?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 09:09:05 AM »

Quote from: adamghost
"I Will Always Love You" I don't think has ever been booted but it's been played in public before -- at the Carl Wilson Foundation show for one (I think as part of the Carl doc)

Yes, it was part of the Carl doc shown at the CWF show. I'm with Adam -- I'd love to see an official release of this particular Carl song!

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »

Quote from: adamghost
"I Will Always Love You" I don't think has ever been booted but it's been played in public before -- at the Carl Wilson Foundation show for one (I think as part of the Carl doc)

Yes, it was part of the Carl doc shown at the CWF show. I'm with Adam -- I'd love to see an official release of this particular Carl song!

Can this song be heard anywhere?

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 10:52:01 AM »

Only if the Carl Wilson Foundation has another concert and plays the video again there.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 02:33:25 PM »

A very wise observation indeed Andrew!

Lee
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx