gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:45:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weird Smile Bootleg  (Read 7648 times)
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2006, 02:44:24 AM »

I tried to search the internet
but I couldn't find it there
here's the case:

two days ago I came across a smile bootleg in a shop were they sell second handed junk.
It was a very ugly printed thing, with the smile shop cover in black and white. Almost like it was
foto-copied. The back had no artwork and only listed the songs. The cd started with California Girls and Sloop John B and maybe with some other pre-Smile tunes. Heroes and Villains, Tones, Barnyard and Bicycle Rider were on it and so were two versions of Surf's Up. I opened the booklet and there was a funny excuse about the quality of the sound of the cd. Also it said that the cd started with an alternative take of Good Vibrations. It also talked about 'Do You Like Worms' although there was no mention of that song on the back (bicycle rider was however).

Very weird, anyway, since I have Project Smile I didn't bother to buy it, because it didn't even have the nice colored artwork, most SMiLE bootlegs have. But I do want to know what it is, anyone have it?

btw any word on a reissue of Pacific Ocean Blue and/or (American) Spring?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 03:20:13 AM »

Sorry I don't know about the bootleg, but am also curious about an American Spring re-issue. Has there ever been a suggestion that it may be re-issued? If Pet Projects is a commerically viable release then surely American Spring is (just write 'Produced by Brian Wilson' on the front in big letters!) It was even featured in the Mojo greatest albums ever book and I'm sure it would get good attention in the music press considering Brian's so popular post Smile-04.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 04:28:24 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 03:27:08 AM »

Wasn't a Spring collection due to be released in Japan a couple of years ago then it was pulled at the last minute?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 09:52:51 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 04:22:05 AM »

Well I never read about a Spring reissue
I thought it was mentioned somewhere here though
It should be re-released if you ask me

as for the smile bootleg? Any ideas?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 08:22:21 AM »

Well I never read about a Spring reissue
I thought it was mentioned somewhere here though
It should be re-released if you ask me

as for the smile bootleg? Any ideas?

Spoke about a reissue with Marilyn last year - she really wants to do it, but it's a  money thing: she wants to do it right. Plus, of course, she has a life.  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 08:59:16 AM »

Well that's at least some news.

And Is Linett working POB, I read something about that too?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 09:28:47 AM »

Very much doubt it. I would imagine the engineer for that would be Tom Murphy - he did the Bamboo stuff.

Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 10:49:29 AM »

and could Tom Murphy be working on a reissue of POB? It's such a great album
I want it on cd, with great linernotes and extra songs.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 10:52:43 AM »

No work is currently being done on the POB tapes, to my knowledge.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 11:16:51 AM »

A Spring CD was advertised around the same time as the “Brian Wilson Production”s and “Murray Wilson’s Songs in the Key of Domestic Violence” CD releases in Japan a couple of years back (like 4). Anywho, my Japan-based associate searched high and low but no Spring CD ever appeared. 

I'd give my left arm for a Spring rerelease, with all the non-LP cuts and things like Snowflakes.

Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 11:26:31 AM »

No work is currently being done on the POB tapes, to my knowledge.

how is that possible? Don't want to complain that people's tastes are lame or anything,
but POB is so good, why on earth is it out of print? Is it a legal issue? Or are rec. companies
afraid that it won't sell?

btw, anybody an idea about that smile bootleg?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 12:00:26 PM »

As far as I Understand it, Jim Guercio spent a year or so winning the rights to the music, then... put it on the back burner.

Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 12:54:29 PM »

so we just have to wait patiently? It will be out sometime?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 08:12:19 PM »

I have that bootleg - it's mostly a rehash from the first Smile vinyl boot plus some live show cuts.  Haven't listened to it in years.  You should pass on that unless they're giving it away.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 05:24:27 AM »

Yeah, I've got that bootleg as well.  Had it since the early '90s, I think.
There might have been ONE thing on it that wasn't on any other boots of the day...
can't remember what, but I'm sure it's turned up elsewhere.  (I think it was an alternate mix
of a segment of "Cabinessence", or something like that).

As for Sping...you do realize, I hope, that a CD reissue was done (on Rhino, I believe...without getting up to actually go look...) around '88 or so.  Nice sounding.  They re-arranged the order of the songs (Marilyn & Diane's idea, I think), and it has lots of bonus tracks.  You can probably find it on the 'bay if you need it. 

C-Man
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 01:54:22 PM »

Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna skip that bootleg
I don't have any pressed bootlegs but this one is too ugly and isn't any way near a real Smile.
BTW Project Smile already has all the recordings right?

Yes I'm aware of the Spring 88,  but it's quite expensive on ebay.
I'm just a student you know! I have no big pile of money! Think of that record companies!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006, 12:19:35 AM »

BTW Project Smile already has all the recordings right?

I think Project Smile has a lot of the Smile sessions but not all from the bootlegs available. I've always wondered, does it have all the Smile stuff from the SOT series or just a selection, i.e. do I need to get the SOTs if I have Project Smile?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006, 12:33:28 AM »

did brian actually play versions of "GV" for elton john back in'70-71 era??

i read tat they met. elton played "lady sam" brian played him "this whole world"? on piano  am i right?

listen up.....what did ya think elton tought of this  if the extended boot mixes of good vibes are
cheezy marching band cuts?i prefer te hum be dum section....
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 04:44:49 AM »

http://www.marktplaats.nl/index.php?url=http%3A//koopjes.marktplaats.nl/muziek_en_instrumenten/cd_s_pop/22410720.html

I believe this is the one I saw
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2006, 04:45:56 AM »

I mean shortnin' bread? Do it again? On smile? 
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 07:17:36 PM »

I tried to search the internet
but I couldn't find it there
here's the case:

two days ago I came across a smile bootleg in a shop were they sell second handed junk.
It was a very ugly printed thing, with the smile shop cover in black and white. Almost like it was
foto-copied. The back had no artwork and only listed the songs. The cd started with California Girls and Sloop John B and maybe with some other pre-Smile tunes. Heroes and Villains, Tones, Barnyard and Bicycle Rider were on it and so were two versions of Surf's Up. I opened the booklet and there was a funny excuse about the quality of the sound of the cd. Also it said that the cd started with an alternative take of Good Vibrations. It also talked about 'Do You Like Worms' although there was no mention of that song on the back (bicycle rider was however).

Very weird, anyway, since I have Project Smile I didn't bother to buy it, because it didn't even have the nice colored artwork, most SMiLE bootlegs have. But I do want to know what it is, anyone have it?

btw any word on a reissue of Pacific Ocean Blue and/or (American) Spring?

I believe that the bootleg you are referring to was on Sphinx Records - SXCD 008 was the catalog number.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2021, 06:37:18 AM »

since SPRING re-issues have just been brought up here, this isn't the worst place for a reminder -

regarding that SPRING U.A. album what you really want to seek out is the original Vinyl issue, not any re-issues

I was lucky enough to buy it at a local store when it debuted

because the tracks have been substantially tampered with (for later CD appearances), specifically background vocals have been added

anybody who owns the old vinyl can easily do an A-B listening comparison (to the CD re-issue, with bonus tracks).  i'm a little surprised this recording fact doesn't get mentioned on this site
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2021, 07:14:24 PM »

since SPRING re-issues have just been brought up here, this isn't the worst place for a reminder -

regarding that SPRING U.A. album what you really want to seek out is the original Vinyl issue, not any re-issues

I was lucky enough to buy it at a local store when it debuted

because the tracks have been substantially tampered with (for later CD appearances), specifically background vocals have been added

anybody who owns the old vinyl can easily do an A-B listening comparison (to the CD re-issue, with bonus tracks).  I'm a little surprised this recording fact doesn't get mentioned on this site

That is very interesting and unexpected news. Do you feel that the music suffered from the additional vocals being added? How noticeable are the changes? I nearly bought a vinyl copy at a used record store a few years ago at a reasonable price, unfortunately I didn't have a turntable or receiver at the time, wish I had after hearing this story, if true. I'd love to do a side-by-side comparison, it's a favorite album of mine (and many others here,)

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2021, 04:22:45 PM »

They will all be out when we're all dead - and no-one really cares... 😫😢
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: