gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:17:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Stereo Remixes  (Read 19730 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 07:51:03 PM »

it's just a semantic issue, but semantics are what I do.  Or even "is what I do" depending on how one considers "semantics" to function in that sentence.

Ahh ... this speaks to me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 10:58:16 PM »

Girl Don't Tell Me ("goshdarn IT, merda!!!!!!!!!!!!" - Carl Wilson)

Lawl, anyone wanna tell me what bootleg this can be found on?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 04:29:26 AM »

Also the binaural (vocal one side, instruments the other) tracks

As I also just found out, binaural doesn't mean that, but a specific way of recording. These vocals-on-one-side, music-on-the-other are just different mixes. They've got nothing to do with binaural, which you can only enjoy hearing with headphones. Listening without them would destroy the whole effect and all would be just all over the place. It's quite an interesting thing.

If you'd like to know more about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 05:44:38 AM »

Unless I'm mistaken, Lou Reed recorded some of his late 70s material using binaural techniques. I want to say Street Hassle and the Bells, maybe.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 02:30:53 PM »

"
...semantics are what I do.  Or even "is what I do" depending on how one considers "semantics" to function in that sentence.

I believe that "semantics are what I do" is correct, but I like "semantics is what I do" a lot better. Go with that one.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
blazer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2009, 04:10:39 AM »

What a bummer that She Knows Me in stereo is only on a US box set of singles!

Hit the iTunes store!
There are 2 versions of She Know me and When I Grow Up in the box set and ITunes does not identify the stero mix versions.  Do you know the track numbers in iTunes of the stereo mixes?  Thx.
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2009, 07:10:10 AM »

There are 2 versions of She Know me and When I Grow Up in the box set and ITunes does not identify the stero mix versions.  Do you know the track numbers in iTunes of the stereo mixes?  Thx.

itunes has the collection set us as the individual discs are in the actual CD set - the two original mono 45 mixes followed by the alternate versions (which are original stereo versions, stereo remixes, backing tracks, etc).  The stereo remixes of of WIGU and SKMTW are therefore tracks 3 and 4.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2009, 07:44:52 AM »

Also the binaural (vocal one side, instruments the other) tracks

As I also just found out, binaural doesn't mean that, but a specific way of recording. These vocals-on-one-side, music-on-the-other are just different mixes. They've got nothing to do with binaural, which you can only enjoy hearing with headphones. Listening without them would destroy the whole effect and all would be just all over the place. It's quite an interesting thing.

If you'd like to know more about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording

Interesting.  I believe the article states the recording industry inappropriately used the term for stereo recordings, particularly early stereo recordings, and that is the general usage of the term (although scientifically not correct) that I have become familiar with - stereo recording with two microphones, separate sounds on each channel with nothing in the middle.   So vocals on one channel, instruments in the other would fit with the general recording usage of the term.  What it leaves out is the acoustic changes created by the head/ear canal, and then the speaker crosstalk/leakage that requires headphones.  Esquival made some interesting stereo recordings by having one channel be recorded in one studio, and the other channel simultaneously in another studio, to eliminate microphone leakage and completely separate the channels.  I'd think this would also fit the general usage of the term binaural.
blazer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2009, 10:15:15 AM »

itunes has the collection set us as the individual discs are in the actual CD set - the two original mono 45 mixes followed by the alternate versions (which are original stereo versions, stereo remixes, backing tracks, etc).  The stereo remixes of of WIGU and SKMTW are therefore tracks 3 and 4.

Thanks JeffRetro!
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2009, 04:41:57 PM »

I HATE TO BE AN OLD STICK IN THE MUD WHEN IT COMES TO STEREO REMIXES ETC... BUT  IT'S LIKE R U KIDDING ME WITH THE REAL BEACH BOYS LIST. THAT'S A BIT GUNG HO ISN'T IT.  BUT IT'S STILL GOOD INFO TO HAVE I SUPPOSE.  BUT STEREO  DOESN'T BEAT THE MONO MIXES IN QUITE A FEW CASES.  HERE'S A BRIEF LIST OF BB SONGS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE IN STEREO.
I GET AROUND
AMUSEMENT PARKS USA
GIRL FROM NEW YORK CITY
YOU'RE SO GOOD TO ME
CALIFORNIA GIRLS
DARLIN
WILD HONEY
I DO(BB)
THE CASTELLS VERSION IS PERFECT AS IS AND THE WAY IT'S INTENDED TO BE IN MONO AND IT'S MY FAVE SONG OUTSIDE OF THE BB WOULDN'T IT BE NICE WHICH IS MY ALL-TIME FAVE.
DON'T GET ME WRONG SONGS LIKE KISS ME BABY/ PLEASE LET ME WONDER AND PET SOUNDS ARE GREAT IN STEREO. BUT THERE'S ONLY ONE SONG RIGHT NOW I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IN TRUE STEREO AND THAT'S GOOD VIBES.  IS THAT ONE AVAILABLE.  ANYONE?
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2009, 06:33:27 PM »

Hi all!

Thanks for all the input on this thread!  Smiley

I was just really concerned about compiling a list of the more recent (commerical versions) stereo remixes from EH, Warmth Of the Sun, Sounds of Summer, Summer Love Songs, Hawthorne (and I'm throwing in a few tracks from the PS stereo remix album such as, WIBN, GOK and SJB)for a buddy of mine who's ill and now recovering at home. Something that I know will perk up his disposition and make him take notice.  I know he's never been a fan of remixes that strip away the vocals presenting the song as a backing track. I want to make this as if it's a remixed "greatest hits" of sorts that would play as if it were a new release from Capitol. I know that would cheer him up!

Based on the latest PS stereo album remix, Hawthorne, EH, Sounds of Summer, Warmth of the Sun, Summer Love Songs and the US Singles box, I'm down to missing the below few that I can use help in acquiring for my friend who's sick and now recovering at home:

US Singles Collection box:

She Knows Me Too Well
When I Grow Up (To be a Man)
Little Saint Nick (Alternate mix with voices in stereo instead of instruments)

DVD-Audio DTS Surround Sound (5.1) issue of PET SOUNDS back in 2003, as a “Bonus” Track

Summer Means New Love (I have no way to extract this from a DVD-Audio disc)

If someone can help me out, please PM me--I would be greatfully appreciative!

Thanking in advance!

Regards,
Cal aka "Beatle Bob"
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 06:35:49 PM by Cal » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »

I HATE TO BE AN OLD STICK IN THE MUD WHEN IT COMES TO STEREO REMIXES ETC... BUT  IT'S LIKE R U KIDDING ME WITH THE REAL BEACH BOYS LIST. THAT'S A BIT GUNG HO ISN'T IT.  BUT IT'S STILL GOOD INFO TO HAVE I SUPPOSE.  BUT STEREO  DOESN'T BEAT THE MONO MIXES IN QUITE A FEW CASES.  HERE'S A BRIEF LIST OF BB SONGS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE IN STEREO.
I GET AROUND
AMUSEMENT PARKS USA
GIRL FROM NEW YORK CITY
YOU'RE SO GOOD TO ME
CALIFORNIA GIRLS
DARLIN
WILD HONEY
I DO(BB)
THE CASTELLS VERSION IS PERFECT AS IS AND THE WAY IT'S INTENDED TO BE IN MONO AND IT'S MY FAVE SONG OUTSIDE OF THE BB WOULDN'T IT BE NICE WHICH IS MY ALL-TIME FAVE.
DON'T GET ME WRONG SONGS LIKE KISS ME BABY/ PLEASE LET ME WONDER AND PET SOUNDS ARE GREAT IN STEREO. BUT THERE'S ONLY ONE SONG RIGHT NOW I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IN TRUE STEREO AND THAT'S GOOD VIBES.  IS THAT ONE AVAILABLE.  ANYONE?

SOMEONE'S CAPS LOCK KEY IS BROKEN.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 06:29:49 AM »

The only stereo version of "Good Vibrations" that's available is the backing-track remix found on the GV single CD issued back in 2006. The final vocal track tapes are believed to have been destroyed making it impossible to do a full stereo remix of the track.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 06:52:36 AM »

I GET AROUND
AMUSEMENT PARKS USA
GIRL FROM NEW YORK CITY
YOU'RE SO GOOD TO ME
CALIFORNIA GIRLS
DARLIN
WILD HONEY
I DO(BB)

SOMEONE'S CAPS LOCK KEY IS BROKEN.

that's not me

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 01:59:09 AM »

Lemme give y'all a rundown on stereo remixes.

Nice list---I think you missed "Land Ahoy" the outtake from SURFIN' SAFARI.

Or perhaps it doesn't qualify?  It is a BONUS track on the SURFIN' SAFARI/SURFIN' USA Twofer---even though it originally came out on the RARITIES LP way back in the early 1980s.

Just thought I'd let ya know.

Dogbone
Jason
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 08:05:55 PM »

Land Ahoy is mono. Always has been.
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 09:28:02 PM »

Never has been.  You'd better go back and listen.  I just listened to both the SS/SUSA two-fer (2001 remaster) and the Japanese RARITIES CD (2nd, remastered version), and it's in crystal clear wide stereo on both (with the count-in on the RARITIES disc).
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2009, 12:10:35 AM »

It most definitely is not on my two-fer.
lupinofan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2009, 04:43:50 AM »

Never has been.  You'd better go back and listen.  I just listened to both the SS/SUSA two-fer (2001 remaster) and the Japanese RARITIES CD (2nd, remastered version), and it's in crystal clear wide stereo on both (with the count-in on the RARITIES disc).

It's also in stereo (with count-in) on the original 1983 Rarities LP.
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2009, 07:26:53 AM »

It's also in stereo (with count-in) on the original 1983 Rarities LP.

Yeah, the Japanese RARITIES disc is actually a two-fer combining that original '83 album with a CD issue of the Japan-only 12-inch single of "The Beach Boys Medley."  It's still the only way to get a bunch of those tracks on CD (well, a legit CD, anyway).
darling
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2013, 08:16:19 AM »

Wow... with the recent stereo/mono album releases and the Made in California box, has anyone attempted a canonical list of stereo remixes?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »

It's not complete (doesn't include MiC), and needs re-writing badly, but this gives you a broad overview:

Bellagio 10452 - mono/stereo
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 02:45:05 PM by A. Grayham Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2013, 02:33:21 PM »

Wrong.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2013, 02:43:52 PM »

Discounting Chuck Britz's somewhat "binaural" stereo mixes of several of the 1963-64 LPs...

Two points - one, in the BB world at least, "stereo remixes" means a modern stereo mix (from the original multitrack masters) of a track that had only ever previously appeared in mono (e.g. "California Girls" or the entire Pet Sounds album), not an alternate mix of something that already existed in stereo... and two, Chuck's mixes 1963/64 were most certainly NOT binaural to any degree whatsoever. Nor, in fact, were they true stereo mixes. Rather, he took the existing 3-track master, balanced the sound levels and added EQ and revberb, hence the hard left-center-hard right nature of the tracks.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2013, 04:48:52 PM »

Discounting Chuck Britz's somewhat "binaural" stereo mixes of several of the 1963-64 LPs...

Two points - one, in the BB world at least, "stereo remixes" means a modern stereo mix (from the original multitrack masters) of a track that had only ever previously appeared in mono (e.g. "California Girls" or the entire Pet Sounds album), not an alternate mix of something that already existed in stereo... and two, Chuck's mixes 1963/64 were most certainly NOT binaural to any degree whatsoever. Nor, in fact, were they true stereo mixes. Rather, he took the existing 3-track master, balanced the sound levels and added EQ and revberb, hence the hard left-center-hard right nature of the tracks.

Given the technology of the day, I'd say Chuck Britz's early BBs stereo mixes definitely qualify as true stereo mixes for their time.  Certainly no one mixes stereo hard left and hard right like that today, but back in the early days of stereo some people actually considered the ability to listen to certain instruments and/or vocals isolated in one channel or the other to add a positive element to the listening experience.  

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx