gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 01:22:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Article on "Summer Love Songs" and the BBC Dennis Wilson doc  (Read 4047 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2009, 05:16:53 PM »

THE BEACH BOYS RELEASE 'SUMMER LOVE SONGS'
by Howie Edelson

Out today (May 19th) is the Beach Boys' Summer Love Songs, the group's latest compilation featuring newly-remixed stereo versions of some of their most beloved tracks. Among the classic hits found on the set are "Don't Worry Baby" and "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" -- featuring revamped stereo mixes utilizing the songs' long-lost masters, "Surfer Girl," "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "God Only Knows," California Girls," "Girls On The Beach," and "Help Me, Rhonda," among others.

Summer Love Songs features tracks from the band's earliest days up through the late '60s and early '70s, well after they had outgrown their classic "striped shirts" era. Mike Love was asked if after the Beach Boys' initial successes, he ever considered that the group was evolving from pop stars into actual artists: "Oh no, never thought of it that way. I knew that we were musically endowed by, you know, our families and stuff like that, because we grew up in a musical environment, so music was second nature to us. I mean, it was something that we would've done as a hobby if we never made a transition to a hugely popular group. But we never thought, 'Oh my gosh, we're 'artists'' -- we didn't have, at least I didn't have, that perception."

One of the highlights on the set is a remixed version of the 1970 Dennis Wilson rarity "Fallin' In Love" which was B-side side to Wilson's first solo single "Sound Of Free." The European release has been out of print for nearly three decades and remains one of the most collectible Beach Boys-related vinyl releases.

Official Beach Boys archivist Alan Boyd compiled the new collection with Grammy award-winning producer Mark Linett. The pair experimented on creating what many fans are calling the definitive mix of the Wilson classic: "Obviously we had the original 16-track master and we did a new mix for that. Dennis had doubled his vocal and so we used some elements of that, sometimes using the double and sometimes focusing on the other track this time. At the very end of the mixing process, we decided to do an isolated mixdown of the string parts just to have it. And as we were listening to it we were commenting on how 'Beatle-esque' it sounded. And we decided to try putting a string intro on the song, using the actual string part from the song's second verse."

Wilson's biographer Jon Stebbins, who played a crucial role in the return of the session masters for "Don't Worry Baby" and "Why Do Fools Fall In Love," says that "Fallin' In Love" is yet another of Wilson's forgotten evergreens: "I think 'Fallin' In Love' kinda represents when Dennis was first considering a run at a solo record. He released it in Europe as a solo single in 1970 under the title of 'Lady.' This is kind of a new version -- or a version that has elements that we've never heard before. 'Fallin' In Love' was the original working title for it, so maybe it's appropriate that they go back and call it that. But I believe that the song was written about Dennis' wife Barbara, who he was married top at the time. (It's) very typical of the things that Dennis was writing around that time, especially about Barbara."

The full tracklisting to Summer Love Songs is: "Don't Worry Baby" (new stereo mix), "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" (new stereo mix), "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "God Only Knows," "Surfer Girl," "California Girls," "Please Let Me Wonder," "In The Parkin' Lot," "Your Summer Dream," "Kiss Me, Baby," "Hushabye" (new stereo mix), "I'm So Young" (new stereo mix), "Good To My Baby" (new stereo mix), "Fallin' In Love" (new stereo mix of Dennis Wilson solo track)," "Time To Get Alone" (new stereo mix), "Our Sweet Love," "Help Me, Rhonda," "Keep An Eye On Summer," "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)," and "Girls On The Beach."

Wrapping production now for BBC TV is the first major documentary on Dennis Wilson. The film, which will air on Britain's BBC 4 this summer features in-depth interviews with Wilson's sons Michael and Carl Wilson, former Beach Boys David Marks and Blondie Chaplin, producer and songwriting partner Gregg Jakobson, engineers John Hanlon and Tom Murphy, former touring Beach Boy Jeff Foskett -- now of the Brian Wilson Band, the Foo Fighters' Taylor Hawkins, and Wilson's confidante Ed Roach, whose footage and stills are featured throughout the piece -- including Roach's never-before-aired footage of Wilson recording Pacific Ocean Blue.

Legends: Dennis Wilson is directed by Matt O'Casey who is best known for his recent award-winning Blondie documentary One Way Or Another. Biographer Jon Stebbins is producing the doc with Howie Edelson serving as the primary creative consultant. There's no word on a U.S. air date yet, but a DVD version is in the works.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »

At the very end of the mixing process, we decided to do an isolated mixdown of the string parts just to have it. And as we were listening to it we were commenting on how 'Beatle-esque' it sounded. And we decided to try putting a string intro on the song, using the actual string part from the song's second verse."

I actually like both versions of "Lady (Fallin' In Love)". I like the haunting starkness of the original, but I also appreciate the "artistic" intro and feel of the new version; there's more going on.

I have a question for c-man, Alan Boyd, or Mark Linett. I assume that if you remix or remaster a song, you don't need to get special permission? But what if you "change" the song in a certain way, such as ADDING A PART, like the intro (and the song title!) in "Fallin' in Love". Does somebody have to OK that? And, in this case, did you have to get permission for the changes?
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 07:13:52 PM »

In each case, we always submit any new mixes to the label and the group for approval.  As for the song title, it was something of a toss-up - the song was originally logged as "Fallin' In Love," labeled as such on several of the old tape boxes, and that was the title registered in the original copyright files by Brother Publishing.  Spring used Dennis' backing track when they covered the song for their 1972 LP, and they called it "Fallin' In Love" (then again, with the gender switch they otherwise would have had to call it "Baby.")  We passed all of this info and history along to Capitol when we submitted the song for consideration for the new compilation.  I suppose, in the end, it was felt there'd be less confusion going with "Fallin' In Love" rather than "Lady," at least as far as any fans of Styx and Kenny Rogers might be concerned.... Wink
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:19:51 PM »

Styx has fans?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 12:15:25 AM »

Styx has fans?
  LOL
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:00:37 PM »

What's happening with this BBC Dennis Wilson documentary? It all seems to have gone very quiet. Is there a broadcast date yet?

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 03:51:41 PM »

What's happening with this BBC Dennis Wilson documentary? It all seems to have gone very quiet. Is there a broadcast date yet?
A final cut has been approved. Its looking like the broadcast premiere will be fall of this year. When the exact date is known I'll post it here.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 01:44:27 PM »

Nice one Jon - cheers pal.  Grin

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »

I really really REALLY hope this gets aired in the US or there is someway I can see it!!!

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 08:48:06 AM »

LSG, ask a friend in the U.K. to tape it for you. That's what I'm doing!!!!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 09:55:07 AM »

Maybe it will be shown on BBC America.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 03:46:23 PM »

LSG, ask a friend in the U.K. to tape it for you. That's what I'm doing!!!!

I dont have any friends in the U.K. Sad

chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 12:31:42 AM »

You should be able to watch any BBC documentary after its initial broadcast, here :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 09:07:20 AM »

You should be able to watch any BBC documentary after its initial broadcast, here :
I tried playing something and was given the message: "Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 09:11:33 AM »

Ohh cool! Anyone know when its broadcasting is?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 09:15:47 AM »

I dont have any friends in the U.K. Sad

Sure you do: quite a few of the posters here are UK-based, and Smiley Smilers tend to be pretty willing to do good unto others.

And Aegir is right, non-UKers cannot watch those videos at the aforementioned link.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 10:02:12 AM »

And Aegir is right, non-UKers cannot watch those videos at the aforementioned link.

Sorry - didn't know that. Shame.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 10:08:24 AM »

Sorry - didn't know that. Shame.
Much as I hate to say it, I must admit it's fair. We don't pay the tax to support BBC, and so shouldn't be allowed to watch its product for free.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx