gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:49:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jimi Hendrix  (Read 15406 times)
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2006, 07:44:01 PM »

The scalpel strut of "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" in comparison to Hendrix-aimlessly-trying-on bland-funk-stylings-in-search-of-a-new-direction "unfocused"?

I will pit "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" against "Ezy Rider" or "Stepping Stone" any day of the effing week!

I'll take those raw vocal tracks, too, any day. I've never been one to prize exactness, especially from a singer as not-so-great as Hendrix. To me, the First Rays material sounds passionate as hell, and absolutely tight.
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2006, 07:59:43 PM »

Yeah, well, I love "Stepping Stone," too, but then Hendriz actually finished that and released it as a single. I don't see how you can call unfinished work especially focused, particularly when Hendrix clearly meant to go back and correct songs that were essentially works in progress. "First Rays" is a lot about the process of discovery -- I mean, the title itself essentially admits as much -- but I think you're filling in a lot of gaps if you're going to be listening to that album as something complete unto itself. Not what I'd call a unified, cohesive work by any means (maybe it would be if anyone could agree on what was supposed to go on there). Certainly no "Ladyland," which apparently had Hendrix driving everybody crazing in search of some intangible perfection only he could hear. But he apparently found it. Given time, he surely would have been able to pull together "First Rays," and I give him all the credit in the world in this regard -- HE WAS JIMI-FOCKIN'-HENDRIX!!!!! -- but the fact is, he didn't. But "Ezy Rider" trumping, say, "Watchtower" or "Come On"? Fuggitabouddit.
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2006, 08:07:19 PM »

I'll take those raw vocal tracks, too, any day. I've never been one to prize exactness ...

And yet you find "Big Star 3rd" an"unholy mess," you magnificent bastard!  Wink
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2006, 08:29:19 PM »

By "focused," I mean "the songwriting is as focused and tight as a laser beam, finished or not." Hell, you could play me demos played on a kazoo of some of those songs and I'd still say they're focused -- by which I mean tightly, tautly written using economy and power and groove to drive the songs like little nails to the skull.

And yes -- Big Star 3rd, still an unholy mess! A damn fine one, all told, but a mess!

Boxer Monkey
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 08:33:28 PM »

By "focused," I mean "the songwriting is as focused and tight as a laser beam, finished or not." Hell, you could play me demos played on a kazoo of some of those songs and I'd still say they're focused -- by which I mean tightly, tautly written using economy and power and groove to drive the songs like little nails to the skull.

OK, you got me: I'm gonna go back and listen to this stuff again tonight ... I will concede that the songwriting is great on "First Rays," a new plateau for Jimi.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2006, 08:33:38 PM »

I like Ezy Ryder more than Watchtower too.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2006, 10:06:58 PM »

Great thread idea, Mr. Aegir.

Hendrix is great man, I could write books on him.

Hmmmm... let's see here, CH.1 THE PLASTER CASTER GIRLS!!!! oh yeah oh yeah.haha
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2006, 10:08:15 PM »

Oh, shut up.

theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2006, 10:14:46 PM »

OKay,Sly
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 03:21:10 PM »

Reviving a long-dormant thread because earlier this week I heard Dolly Dagger on the radio during my drive home. I don't know if it was a new mix or remaster as a part of one of the recent re-releases--I know there have been things coming out and I haven't heard them--or if it just hit the spot, but I realized I haven't listened to Hendrix intentionally in a long, long time. (Staple of my youth, though, from maybe age 12-22, and as much as my music doesn't reflect it, a huge influence on my guitar playing.)

So I'm importing all my Hendrix CDs, which I'd lugged from apartment to rental house to rental house to apartment to my own house over the years, barely played, and I'm really excited to listen at high volumes. I know these albums so well that even after all this time, I can hear them before I hit play. I'm pretty jazzed about this.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 04:54:43 AM »

Live at the fillmore east is just amazing. Band of Gypsys are incredible. Listen to their versions of voodoo child and stone free. Every bit as good as the experience. Different but just as good. For my money Electric ladyland is his greatest album but first rays is great. I don't put myself in one camp, both periods are so rewarding
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »

I don't like Band of Gypsys as much as I like the Experience records, though I do like them a lot. I do like the post-Experience studio music quite a bit as well.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 09:49:54 AM »

The other day I was searching through the basement and found my parents' (my dad's, most likely) copy of Electric Ladyland. When I put it on and listened to the first "song", it sounded so weird I was afraid it was warped! I had to put the needle to a random place in the middle of the record to make sure it wasn't.

The psychedelia of most psychedelic music is tame to me, but Electric Ladyland was one of the first things to make me turn my head.

Lololololololololol

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 10:33:50 AM »

You're a fucking idiot.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »

You're a fucking idiot.

LOL
bluesno1fann
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 01:18:03 AM »

Love the Jimi Hendrix Experience!

Jimi is THE greatest guitarist of all-time of course, Mitch Mitchell is one of the greatest drummers ever, and Noel Redding is so underrated it makes me sad.

Are You Experienced is by far their best album. Fire is the only full song I can play bass to so far, and there isn't a weak song on the whole album!

I have a soft spot for the underrated She's So Fine on Axis, they should have put it out as a single!

Electric Ladyland I do find a little overrated, but it's still great!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 02:28:56 AM »

Have the mono mixes of Are You Experienced? and Axis: Bold As Love ever been issued on CD at all?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 08:47:47 AM »

I've got to admit I'm a fan of course but I kinda got burnt out on him in the 90's when the "oh my god he walks on water" stuff kicked into full effect.  Yeah he's great, yeah he's probably the greatest ever but after I listened to everything 100 times I just moved on. 
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 03:57:20 PM »

Jimi is THE greatest guitarist of all-time of course, Mitch Mitchell is one of the greatest drummers ever, and Noel Redding is so underrated it makes me sad.

Are You Experienced is by far their best album. Fire is the only full song I can play bass to so far, and there isn't a weak song on the whole album!

I have a soft spot for the underrated She's So Fine on Axis, they should have put it out as a single!

Rei,  If you like Noel, you should check out Fat Mattress.   

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
bluesno1fann
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »

Rei,  If you like Noel, you should check out Fat Mattress.   

Yeah, I've checked out a few of their songs. While I do prefer his work in Experience, Fat Mattress is fairly underrated. They should have been a bigger success!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2014, 07:21:02 AM »

Mitch Mitchell was a much better drummer for Hendrix than Buddy Miles.

I like some of Jimi's later work - "Drifting" is among my faves - but I wonder if FIRST RAYS OF THE NEW RISING SON would have been up to previous levels. It seems as if he was unsure of where his music was going, or maybe the problem was management.

ELECTRIC LADYLAND is my favorite Jimi Hendrix album. Love the Bach like chord progressions of "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" and "1983 (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)" will blow our minds, forever. Quite possibly a key influence on Mike's ATLANTIS RISING suite. Roll Eyes
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx