gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680781 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:53:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Band's] best album, and why.  (Read 15951 times)
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2009, 08:30:14 AM »

I am a big fan of the first album too for it along with the BBC release are the closest we have to a Beatles live at the Cavern album. There's some really good covers on the first album, like Anna, Chains and especially Twist and Shout. Original song wise I think the best tracks are I Saw Her Standing There, the title track and There's a Place which I think is a pretty underrated Beatles song.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:31:12 AM by Music Machine » Logged
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2009, 10:36:48 AM »

THere's a Place is great, as is Please Please Me. Somehow, Please Please Me(the song)--did they ever try any harder than on that one?
Anyway, I can support Please Please Me (the album) as Beatles Best. I like Beatles for Sale, too. Underrated.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2009, 05:06:13 AM »

I am performing a resurrection here as I just listened to this LP while going for a brisk (though very hot, over 90 here) jog and thought I should write about it:

Talking Heads best album is Remain in Light

Here the light experiment of African pop/polyrhytms of "I Zimbra" is completely, fully and utterly explored; perhaps this is the best experimental album of all time. Also, it is perhaps the only album of theirs to rightfully be called (in some circles) an Eno/Talking Heads album, as he is fully integrated here and shows of his mastery of production to amazing effect. This is one of the very best, most original produced records of all time.

No, to get this off my chest, I see very little positive in "Seen and Not Seen," but almost everything else is a favorite of mine in some way. From the fractured grooves of "Born Under Punches," with it's unforgettable Eno sung refrain; to the delicate African pop of "Listening Wind" (in my heart); to the lament of growing old/preacher parody "Once in a Lifetime" (one of the all-time great productions); to my absolute favorite, the thundering, unrelenting and groove-filled "Great Curve."

It's an album it took me awhile to enjoy but is nonetheless one of my deepest, most experimental and headiest records of all time. Sorry for the terrible pun.

I think I'm gonna do another one of these tomorrow, let's see a few others from other posters!

Lovely call, cheers for that!

Can I say that I find Joy Division overrated? Yes, I can.

...although I do own all their stuff...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2009, 01:09:25 PM »

Joy Division overrated?  I don't really feel that way, but I will agree that Joy Division get a lot of attention these days.  I know, music snobbish at it's worst, but it bothers me when I see run of the mill indie kids walking around in JD shirts or Fall Out Boy "Love Will Tear Us Apart" shirts thinking that they wrote it!  I think I'm too biased to say they are overrated, but the whole Factory Music scene produced so many great records and is largely overlooked that it bothers me.  Anyway!

I want to tackle The Who in this post however.  What an odd band really, they stumbled over themselves the first few years but managed to produce so many classic songs.  While I can agree that The Who Sell Out, Who's Next, and Quadrophenia are all great albums Tommy is their best in my opinion.  It's a tough choice really, but Tommy has the right blend of hit songs and strong album tracks for me.  Tommy, what a brilliant album!  There are so many strong songs, The Acid Queen, Sensation, We're Not Gonna Take It, Pinball Wizard, etc.  However, the shinning moment for me is See Me, Feel Me which is probably my favorite piece of music ever.  I feel that Tommy shows The Who at their most expressive and balanced.  There is a sense of power without resorting to hard rock.  It's also got a great story!

Part of the reason I love Tommy so much may be because of how I feel about The Who's other career heights.  The Who Sell Out was marred by it's weaker tracks and gimmicky idea- I love it but I call it for what i).  Who's Next lacks the feeling of an album for me and almost sounds like that classic A-Side B-Side album, even though most of the B-sides are great.  If Pure And Easy made the album instead of This Song Is Over I might have felt better about it.  Quadrophenia could never be my favorite because it feels like a second take at Tommy with the macho posing of Who's Next but without the melodic sense. 

Of course we all know Live At Leeds is their best "album" overall.   Wink
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2009, 12:40:15 AM »

Joy Division overrated?  I don't really feel that way, but I will agree that Joy Division get a lot of attention these days.  I know, music snobbish at it's worst, but it bothers me when I see run of the mill indie kids walking around in JD shirts or Fall Out Boy "Love Will Tear Us Apart" shirts thinking that they wrote it!  I think I'm too biased to say they are overrated, but the whole Factory Music scene produced so many great records and is largely overlooked that it bothers me.  Anyway!

OK, you do have a point. I don't know if you own 'Wanna Buy A Bridge', a US Factory compilation LP. Don't think it ever surfaced on CD, by the way. In my view it is one of the best samplers of all time, in any genre. The whole is much more than the sum of its parts, and the parts are already wonderful. It runs from The Slits to Robert Wyatt via the TV Personalities and Scritti Politti. Look for it in the 2nd hand bins, or seek it on Ebay.

Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2009, 08:14:57 AM »

I'd have to rummage through my Factory Record collection my Dad left me, but I know I have FACTUS 17 Young, Popular, And Sexy - which is great.   Scritti Politti, haha, yes, brilliant.  Factory was great, I love how they put out so many one off singles and albums.

I think it's easy to overlook the importance Joy Division had on the Manchester and overall 80s music scene.  I would even argue that Manchester was the center of progressive and exciting music in 80s England, and Factory had some of the top acts.  U2 also owe Joy Division a huge debt, or at least New Order.  On a side note I'm glad they didn't put their singles on their albums, it spared Closer from being that album that had Love Will Tear Us Apart on it. 

I don't think anyone said which Joy Division album was the best yet did they?  I think it depends on which one you heard first, or connect with first really.  I grew up listening to both but Closer was the first one I owned on CD so I value it more.  If anything, Closer is the superior album because of it's experimentation, sonic landscapes, complicated melodies, and vocal style.  Song for song I would say Unknown Pleasures is my favorite album, but Closer is just a very powerful album.  It's about more than the individual songs.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:19:12 AM by Sciencefriction » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2009, 02:18:21 AM »

I'd have to rummage through my Factory Record collection my Dad left me, but I know I have FACTUS 17 Young, Popular, And Sexy - which is great.   Scritti Politti, haha, yes, brilliant.  Factory was great, I love how they put out so many one off singles and albums.

I think it's easy to overlook the importance Joy Division had on the Manchester and overall 80s music scene.  I would even argue that Manchester was the center of progressive and exciting music in 80s England, and Factory had some of the top acts.  U2 also owe Joy Division a huge debt, or at least New Order.  On a side note I'm glad they didn't put their singles on their albums, it spared Closer from being that album that had Love Will Tear Us Apart on it. 

I don't think anyone said which Joy Division album was the best yet did they?  I think it depends on which one you heard first, or connect with first really.  I grew up listening to both but Closer was the first one I owned on CD so I value it more.  If anything, Closer is the superior album because of it's experimentation, sonic landscapes, complicated melodies, and vocal style.  Song for song I would say Unknown Pleasures is my favorite album, but Closer is just a very powerful album.  It's about more than the individual songs.

That is a great call. Did you see the movie on Factory, '24h Party People'? Mainly about the rise and fall of the Hacienda Club. Superb: designer Peter Savile comes up with such an expensive sleeve design for the 12" version of 'Blue Monday' that it becomes a loss leader... and also the Happy Mondays trip to the Bahamas is legendary, they drop their bottles with methadone at the airport...

Next one: The Jesus And Mary Chain's 'Psychocandy'. Easy one. It defines the group and has their greatest music, not a duff track. 'Just Like Honey' made it onto the OST for 'Lost In Translation'. Nice.

Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2009, 06:50:25 AM »

Thanks.  Yes I have it's a pretty good movie, certainly better than Control.  Factory has so many great tales, who knows what's true and what's not- but I love that.  I'm going to see Happy Mondays in October actually, it's a dream come true.

I agree about Jesus and The Mary Chain, if only because without them we wouldn't have The Stone Roses we know and love.  You can't overlook that album and the influence it's had, great choice.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2009, 12:36:53 AM »

Thanks.  Yes I have it's a pretty good movie, certainly better than Control.  Factory has so many great tales, who knows what's true and what's not- but I love that.  I'm going to see Happy Mondays in October actually, it's a dream come true.

I agree about Jesus and The Mary Chain, if only because without them we wouldn't have The Stone Roses we know and love.  You can't overlook that album and the influence it's had, great choice.

Cheers. The fun thing about 'Psychocandy' is its 'loudness'... even if you can barely hear it, it is incredibly LOUD, like a hoover gone mad or something. Didn't the JAMC record a BBs song at one point?

Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2009, 08:10:37 AM »

Haha, they definitely were ahead of the game with the loud mastering.  Yeah, they covered Surfin' USA on their Darklands EP.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2009, 08:35:09 PM »

Speaking of Jesus and The Mary Chain and the Lost in Translation soundtrack, how about My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless," an obvious choice. A cohesive, unique and gorgeous album. There's nothing really that sounds like it, even all the other "shoegaze" bands sound top 40 in comparison.

I saw them play live on their 2008 comeback tour--unbelievably loud. The security were handing out earplugs--a couple folks shook there heads and said no thanks. The security guards literally forced the earplugs into their hands anyway. And with good reason. During a 15 minutes juggernaut of feedback at the end of the show, as the music quieted down I thought I was safe and took out an earplug only to have my ear blown out by the volume. I couldn't hear clearly for about 4 days. Altogether an amazing show though.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2009, 12:18:11 AM »

Speaking of Jesus and The Mary Chain and the Lost in Translation soundtrack, how about My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless," an obvious choice. A cohesive, unique and gorgeous album. There's nothing really that sounds like it, even all the other "shoegaze" bands sound top 40 in comparison.

I saw them play live on their 2008 comeback tour--unbelievably loud. The security were handing out earplugs--a couple folks shook there heads and said no thanks. The security guards literally forced the earplugs into their hands anyway. And with good reason. During a 15 minutes juggernaut of feedback at the end of the show, as the music quieted down I thought I was safe and took out an earplug only to have my ear blown out by the volume. I couldn't hear clearly for about 4 days. Altogether an amazing show though.

Thanks for the hint. I'll go seek out 'Loveless' then.

On a serious note: yes, concerts may be unbearable. I made a personal point of leaving shows which exceed safety limits. That started with my first, and thankfully last too loud gig, which was done by Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe, and Rockpile. After that single one, I said to myself: it's not worth it. Next time, you'll leave, may be already halfway through the first song. Which I did numerous times, e.g. a John Hiatt solo gig (really!).

Nowadays I hear stories. About tinnitus, and the mental problems it may cause. Or even deafness. Worst case: a guy committing suicide because he could not stand those sounds plaguing him 24/7. He never slept anymore.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2009, 09:21:06 AM »

For years I thought The Doors (the album) was the band's best LP. But, now I actually think L.A. Woman might be their best. The Doors (the album) defined the group's vision - lyrically and musically - and it's hard to match a lineup that included "Light My Fire", "The Crystal Ship", "Break On Through", and "The End". But I think L.A. Woman did. I'll put "Love Her Madly", "L.A. Woman", and "Riders On The Storm" right up there. And you still have "The Changelling", "Been Down So Long", "The W.A.S.P.", and "Hyacinth House" to boot.

I think Ray, Robby, & John were peaking as a band in 1970-71. I certainly think they rocked harder - both in concert and on record. The Doors sounds almost under-recorded next to L.A. Woman, maybe due to the addition of Marc Benno and the exit of Paul Rothschild. And, of course, you have two different Jim Morrisons. The Doors featured the psychedelic, dream-like, young lion poet, as opposed to the slightly raspy, beer-drinking, bluesman on L.A. Woman. It's hard to choose between the two; I love 'em both!

For its day, The Doors was a long album, but I believe L.A. Woman clocks in at about 45 minutes; that's a lot of music. There's many different styles on L.A. Woman; the band was really stretching out. I've heard the late 1970 Dallas concert (Morrison's 2nd last show), and the band played some songs from L.A. Woman - the sound is frightening, in a cool way. I wish Morrison would've hung around long enough to tour the album. 
Yes!  -- LA Woman!

It's funny because, wasn't it considered their laziest, least inspired or something?  Maybe not...but when you think of the Doors, it's the first few albums that really define them -- The Doors, Strange Days, Waiting for the Sun -- and LA Woman was or is considered their fat and final, down in the dumps, Jim's dead and dying album.  But to me -- it's now the only Doors album that doesn't sound "trapped" or cliche "Doors."

It holds up as an album -- not just a Doors album -- if that makes any sense!  Razz

It was recorded with a much different vibe -- unique from all the other albums.  They were kind of finished as a band. No more Paul Rothchild producing -- who left in frustration...believing they were done.  So Bruce Botnick, the band's engineer, basically said "ok...I'll do it."  And they went up to this cozy little studio -- with zippy stress or pressure, with a twelve pack and some smokes (I would assume!) -- to just jam and sing.  It's just great! 

So it's the only album where we get to see them as a band...and not the mystical LSD "lizard-king" band -- just a f-cking band.  They tear it up.  And then, of course...Jim dies.  Undecided  So this is a very special album.  The only one where we get to hear them as they would have continued in the future.

As a result, it has aged differently - and better - than the others.  There's no forcefulness or pressure or manufactured, psychedelic, leather-pants, mind-expanding intensity, demanded of the listener.  It's just a great relaxing, chill, zone out masterpiece.  Definitely their best!  It's the one I reach for...and play all the way through...and wish there were more of -- when I really want to hear what this band was all about.

Oh,...what a GREAT album.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2009, 12:09:43 PM »

So it's the only album where we get to see them as a band...and not the mystical LSD "lizard-king" band -- just a friggin' band.  They tear it up.  And then, of course...Jim dies.  Undecided  So this is a very special album.  The only one where we get to hear them as they would have continued in the future.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Special AND frustrating at the same time...
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2009, 12:18:19 PM »

Sheriff, are really Jim Morrison, as your avatar suggests?....
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2009, 12:37:58 PM »

Sheriff, are really Jim Morrison, as your avatar suggests?....

I am the Lizard King
I can post anything
I can make the earth stop in its tracks
I made the blue cars go away
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2009, 02:33:13 PM »

THE best album for my money is "What's Goin On" by Marvin Gaye!

It's just the perfect example of an album as a complete thought. It's perfectly played, written and sung. Plus the whole thing really is just one long song without even feeling like it. The fact that Marivn was reaching out so strongly for spiritual assurance and harmony, and ultimatly lost (as did we all), makes the album all the more affecting.

BEST example of an album as a work of art, in my humble opinion.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2009, 02:14:39 AM »

It's just the perfect example of an album as a complete thought. It's perfectly played, written and sung. Plus the whole thing really is just one long song without even feeling like it. The fact that Marivn was reaching out so strongly for spiritual assurance and harmony, and ultimatly lost (as did we all), makes the album all the more affecting.

It is a superb album, agreed. A few seconds into the title song, you know that you're in the presence of greatness. As is the case with Pet Sounds.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2009, 09:33:46 PM »

BeckSea Change

Greatest Album because:  "Well it's all in your mind...it's all in your mind."  Those are the opening words to a song of the same title, set to one of the most desperate, resigned and lonesome melodies ever made.  "Because, I want it to be your good friend," he finishes.  It's also one of the most sad, broken up -- and at the same time beautiful albums I've ever heard.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2009, 10:09:09 PM »

Among the very best.  If I may...

Marvin GayeWhat's Going On.

Best Album because:  Sad with pride.  Gloomy with a stride.  And Marvin right on time.  Even the cover art knew what to do.  And where to be.  "Only love can conquer hate..."  Are you kidding me?  Delivering lines that good, you better have some serious devotion to the notion you put in motion.  God is Love.  Marvin delivers.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:15:52 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2015, 04:47:50 AM »

At least 120 days? 2279.4, to be precise. Grin

I've always been intrigued by debut albums. Unlike their successors they have an open end, so to speak. They may have been gestating in some form (or several forms) for years before being committed to wax. So I'll pick a favourite album by a band that happens to be their debut: Santana.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2015, 11:37:06 AM »

I never understood what people see in Queen. I never will. Queen was shite.

So, as to the question:

The Byrds' best LP is 'Younger Than Yesterday', despite the presence of the dreadful 'Mind Gardens'. It represents the apex of that band's unique blend of uplifting stuff and beautiful melancholia. The production (Gary Usher) is great. It has their best Dylan cover on it.
I agree Queen was $#!t, I guess people love them because Mercury died young. Nothing is better for becoming an rock god than to die prematurely.
Also agree about Younger Than Yesterday, although I am constantly amazed at how strong their first album was. And as good as their versions of Dylan songs were, it's the Gene Clark songs that really knock me out.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2015, 11:47:36 AM »

I love Queen, but I had similar feelings toward Nirvana when Cobain died.

In both cases it doesn't explain why they were wildly popular during the deceased's lives, though.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2015, 12:04:33 PM »

I never understood what people see in Queen. I never will. Queen was shite.

So, as to the question:

The Byrds' best LP is 'Younger Than Yesterday', despite the presence of the dreadful 'Mind Gardens'. It represents the apex of that band's unique blend of uplifting stuff and beautiful melancholia. The production (Gary Usher) is great. It has their best Dylan cover on it.
I agree Queen was $#!t, I guess people love them because Mercury died young. Nothing is better for becoming an rock god than to die prematurely.

Totally, that's what I base my musical tastes on - if their lead singer lived past 50, then I ain't listening to that sh*t.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2015, 01:01:34 PM »

Good choice. I heard about this album for years before I finally bought a copy for myself. It lived up to the hype.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx