gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:41:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Band's] best album, and why.  (Read 15543 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 09:47:52 AM »

Even White Album, for me, would've been better as a single LP. I actually proved my point to myself a couple years back, making the album as I'd have liked it best.

But as McCartney said in Anthology, "it's the bloody Beatles, it's the bloody White Album, it's great, shut up." And of course, I know damn well that had it only been a single disc and any of those songs not been used somewhere, we'd be clamoring for them and questioning their exclusion.

For me, what it really comes down to is what an album is supposed to be. If it's just a container for a bunch of songs, then it's irrelevant: you can have a 4-disc set, a 7-disc set, whatever. But if it's a collection of songs intended to be listened to start to finish, then I think doubles and triples miss the mark with me.

Luther, your wisdom always is gripping. Same here. I don't particularly like the format of a 'concept double album'. I had my experiences with 'Tales From Topographic Oceans'. Pretty traumatic, the musicianship was ok, and sometimes they even sounded like the Flaming Lips of the 70s. But, the sheer pretentiousness, and the effort it took to listen to the thing all the way through... I like my song cycles lean and mean.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 09:50:15 AM »

Speaking of, the Lips are supposed to be releasing a (non-concept) double album of new songs this year--I think this summer.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »

The Flaming Lips are "wrapping up their brand new album. It might be called Embryonic, according to a Stereogum report. And now Billboard tells us that the late summer release will be the Oklahoma band's first double LP.

"Our past couple of records we've always had this little dilemma, like how many songs do you put on? How many instruments do you put on? What's the focus? And some of my favorite records-- thinking Beatles White Album, Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti and even some of the longer things that the Clash have done-- part of the reason I like them is that they're not focused. They're kind of like a free-for-all and go everywhere." Wayne Coyne told Billboard, before expounding on the record's "freak-out" vibe.

"Song titles include "Convinced of the Hex" and "I Don't Understand Karma"."

http://pitchfork.com/news/35306-the-flaming-lips-to-drop-double-lp/

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 10:00:50 AM »

Speaking of, the Lips are supposed to be releasing a (non-concept) double album of new songs this year--I think this summer.

Hmmm... a double non-concept album by one of my favourite bands... I am in a conundrum, between a rock and a hard place, between Scylla and Charybdis, in a Catch-22 type of situation, etc. What's a man to do in such a precarious position?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 10:02:01 AM »

Buy it. Listen to it. Judge it (no doubt harshly, as internetters are wont to do).

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 09:48:44 PM »

Thought I'd do another best album and why entry.

Neil Young. Live Rust.

I'll defend this album to my dying day, it reminds me why I love Neil Young. Simply put, Neil goes through 16 classics and near classics and there is nary a stone unturned, and everything rules. This is also the perfect showcase for both sides of Neil; he does an acoustic and electric set. The acoustic set features a beautiful "Sugar Mountain" and a real good "After the Gold Rush." The electric set is blistering, unpolished and just the best showcase for Neil's songwriting and guitar ability. "Cortez" is more efficent, with keen harmonies and thundering guitar attacks; "Like a Hurricane" nearly blows down the place and "When You Dance" is transformed from a minor highlight to a real corker of a rocker. Finally, he ends it with two personal statements: rock and roll will never die, and a tribute to Bruce Berry ("Tonight's the Night"). I love it.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 09:03:04 AM »

The Flaming Lips are "wrapping up their brand new album. It might be called Embryonic, according to a Stereogum report. And now Billboard tells us that the late summer release will be the Oklahoma band's first double LP.

"Our past couple of records we've always had this little dilemma, like how many songs do you put on? How many instruments do you put on? What's the focus? And some of my favorite records-- thinking Beatles White Album, Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti and even some of the longer things that the Clash have done-- part of the reason I like them is that they're not focused. They're kind of like a free-for-all and go everywhere." Wayne Coyne told Billboard, before expounding on the record's "freak-out" vibe.

"Song titles include "Convinced of the Hex" and "I Don't Understand Karma"."

http://pitchfork.com/news/35306-the-flaming-lips-to-drop-double-lp/

"Christmas On Mars" came perilously close to turning me into an ex-Flaming Lips fan.  Excruciating.  Am hoping they redeem themselves with this new album.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 10:33:47 AM »

I'm going to ignore the Queen slurs as they're my favourite band (just ahead of the BBs), and Queen are a divisive band indeed, anyway I know this thread is about a bands best album and Luthers choice of NATO is close to the mark, but i'm going to go for Queen II which is certainly my favourite and the one which I have given to people if I want them to get into Queen. Though it is not as diverse as their later releases it is a brilliant album of unique arrangements and unbeatable songwriting. Brian May writes side 1 (with the exception of 1 song) and 'Father to Son' may be one of his finest moments, there is real emotion in the layerings of the guitars and in Freddies voice (my favourite bit being when all the instruments disappear and Freddie sings 'A word in your ear' and a little bit of piano comes in and then it goes into an amazing wall of sound), there is a definite Wilsonian influence on the backing vocals throughout this song too and also guitarwise there are elements of the Who and Sabbath.
However all this is taken over by side 2s pop-prog masterpiece written by Freddie and still my favourite ever side of popular music - 'Ogre Battle' (weird heavy metal), 'Fairy fellers master stroke' (harpsichord led craziness), 'Nevermore' (beautiful ballad) and 'March of the Black Queen' -  my favourite Queen song, it defies explanation, some may think it nonsens but I think it genius. After that the much maligned 'Funny how love is' which is the closest that Queen ever came to Spector/Beach Boys (at the same time they did a cover of 'I can hear music'), and all topped off with 'Seven seas of Rhye'.

I think Queen II is the greatest album of all time.... Grin

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 02:37:35 PM »

I love Queen II, too--you know I do. But I wouldn't use it to sell someone on Queen. In fact, I think it would be near the bottom of the list for that purpose, because I think all the sort of Tolkienish lyrics would turn off most people who aren't 13-year-old nerdy boys. (That's when I got into it, by the way. And yes, that was me all right, listening to Queen II or Zeppelin IV on my way to a friend's house to play some Middle Earth Role Playing [MERP, that is].)

Side I never did it for me, though. Side II is really especially wonderful, however.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 06:41:17 PM »

For years I thought The Doors (the album) was the band's best LP. But, now I actually think L.A. Woman might be their best. The Doors (the album) defined the group's vision - lyrically and musically - and it's hard to match a lineup that included "Light My Fire", "The Crystal Ship", "Break On Through", and "The End". But I think L.A. Woman did. I'll put "Love Her Madly", "L.A. Woman", and "Riders On The Storm" right up there. And you still have "The Changelling", "Been Down So Long", "The W.A.S.P.", and "Hyacinth House" to boot.

I think Ray, Robby, & John were peaking as a band in 1970-71. I certainly think they rocked harder - both in concert and on record. The Doors sounds almost under-recorded next to L.A. Woman, maybe due to the addition of Marc Benno and the exit of Paul Rothschild. And, of course, you have two different Jim Morrisons. The Doors featured the psychedelic, dream-like, young lion poet, as opposed to the slightly raspy, beer-drinking, bluesman on L.A. Woman. It's hard to choose between the two; I love 'em both!

For its day, The Doors was a long album, but I believe L.A. Woman clocks in at about 45 minutes; that's a lot of music. There's many different styles on L.A. Woman; the band was really stretching out. I've heard the late 1970 Dallas concert (Morrison's 2nd last show), and the band played some songs from L.A. Woman - the sound is frightening, in a cool way. I wish Morrison would've hung around long enough to tour the album. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 06:47:29 PM »

You know I don't really consider myself a Doors fan these days, but I'd agree with you: LA Woman is the album I'd listen to.

That said, The Doors is a remarkable debut. To me, it's one of the rare fully-formed debuts in history.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2009, 06:57:06 PM »

That said, The Doors is a remarkable debut. To me, it's one of the rare fully-formed debuts in history.

That recent documentary, Classic Albums: The Doors, certainly shows that.

It's hard to choose a better Doors album than their debut, but I think they (the producers of the documentary) chose The Doors because there was more video footage available to compliment the featured songs. There's very little footage available of the L.A. Woman material.   
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2009, 07:07:08 PM »

I didn't realize there was a C.A. series DVD of that. Or if I did, I forgot (which happens). I think I may seek that out. I'm a sucker for that series, and that would be an interesting one.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 11:45:05 PM »

I love Queen II, too--you know I do. But I wouldn't use it to sell someone on Queen. In fact, I think it would be near the bottom of the list for that purpose, because I think all the sort of Tolkienish lyrics would turn off most people who aren't 13-year-old nerdy boys. (That's when I got into it, by the way. And yes, that was me all right, listening to Queen II or Zeppelin IV on my way to a friend's house to play some Middle Earth Role Playing [MERP, that is].)

Side I never did it for me, though. Side II is really especially wonderful, however.

If I was offering it to people for pop music then maybe not, but a lot of my friends are into rock/prog (for some reason!) so this seems to work. I first heard it when I was 8 and it was amazing then, of course when I was 13 I got into the 'swords and shields' area of rock music - Zeppelin, Sabbath, Rainbow and particularly good and hugely underrated - 'Music from the elder' by Kiss!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 02:53:49 AM »

The Ramones: 'Leave Home'. It always was a close run with 'End Of The Century' for me, but LH just does it. The production is the sharpest in their work (Rocket To Russia is muffled, compared to it), and EOTC has killer songs too, but also a few duds. LH is a perfect unity. 'Oh Oh, I Love Her So': magnificent. 'I Remember You': ditto.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 05:22:41 PM »

particularly good and hugely underrated - 'Music from the elder' by Kiss!

I think I've told you this before, but when I was big into my KISS phase (ages 13-17, roughly) I LOVED that album. Wasn't ever THE favorite (that'd be Love Gun, probably), but it was up there. I never understood why it was panned. To me, it was everything you'd want. Hmm, actually...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 05:31:20 PM »

KISS: Love Gun.

(There probably are some among you who may think KISS don't count. Just kid stuff for adolescent boys. Well, to you: f*** off. It's true. And that's what's great (or was great) about KISS. Adolescent boys need rock 'n' roll fantasies, damnit.)

This, somehow more than the more celebrated Destroyer, really, really just hit the spot. "I Stole Your Love" is great, although admittedly better in the hyperactive live versions a guy can come across. Christine Sixteen is the sleeziest of Gene Simmons, which is frankly what everyone wants and needs from Gene Simmons. Shock Me is among Ace's best. Hooligan is a cool Criss tune. Tomorrow and Tonight is, to me, an underrated pop tune. The title track is, well ... Love Gun. Almost Human and Plaster Caster remind you that Gene Simmons is Gene Simmons. And it fucking ends with And Then She Kissed Me! Eddie Kramer's production is good, pretty straight ahead (again, as opposed to Destroyer) but miles ahead of the earliest studio albums.

Love Gun wants--no, Love Gun deserves--your vote.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2009, 07:41:09 PM »

The Ramones: 'Leave Home'. It always was a close run with 'End Of The Century' for me, but LH just does it. The production is the sharpest in their work (Rocket To Russia is muffled, compared to it), and EOTC has killer songs too, but also a few duds. LH is a perfect unity. 'Oh Oh, I Love Her So': magnificent. 'I Remember You': ditto.

And don't forget the infamous "Carbona Not Glue", my favorite song on the album. I bought The Ramones Leave Home the day it was released; it's always been in my Top 3 Ramones albums. I'm just not ready to rank it over their debut album. Maybe next week.... Wink
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 07:50:51 AM »

KISS: Love Gun.

(There probably are some among you who may think KISS don't count. Just kid stuff for adolescent boys. Well, to you: foda off. It's true. And that's what's great (or was great) about KISS. Adolescent boys need rock 'n' roll fantasies, damnit.)

This, somehow more than the more celebrated Destroyer, really, really just hit the spot. "I Stole Your Love" is great, although admittedly better in the hyperactive live versions a guy can come across. Christine Sixteen is the sleeziest of Gene Simmons, which is frankly what everyone wants and needs from Gene Simmons. Shock Me is among Ace's best. Hooligan is a cool Criss tune. Tomorrow and Tonight is, to me, an underrated pop tune. The title track is, well ... Love Gun. Almost Human and Plaster Caster remind you that Gene Simmons is Gene Simmons. And it friggin' ends with And Then She Kissed Me! Eddie Kramer's production is good, pretty straight ahead (again, as opposed to Destroyer) but miles ahead of the earliest studio albums.

Love Gun wants--no, Love Gun deserves--your vote.

Probably their best studio album, I agree.  I always thought that the Kiss Alive! albums were far more rockin than their studio stuff though.  God Of Thunder from Alive II may be Gene's single finest moment.  Smokin   

"Jeff, you care." --BW
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 10:35:06 AM »

You know my FAVORITE is Road to Ruin, but the best is most likely the debut or Leave Home. Can be debated.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2009, 02:51:17 AM »

You know my FAVORITE is Road to Ruin, but the best is most likely the debut or Leave Home. Can be debated.

Hah! Good call... I do have RTR in bright yellow vinyl. Nice thing.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2009, 01:33:50 PM »

I am performing a resurrection here as I just listened to this LP while going for a brisk (though very hot, over 90 here) jog and thought I should write about it:

Talking Heads best album is Remain in Light

Here the light experiment of African pop/polyrhytms of "I Zimbra" is completely, fully and utterly explored; perhaps this is the best experimental album of all time. Also, it is perhaps the only album of theirs to rightfully be called (in some circles) an Eno/Talking Heads album, as he is fully integrated here and shows of his mastery of production to amazing effect. This is one of the very best, most original produced records of all time.

No, to get this off my chest, I see very little positive in "Seen and Not Seen," but almost everything else is a favorite of mine in some way. From the fractured grooves of "Born Under Punches," with it's unforgettable Eno sung refrain; to the delicate African pop of "Listening Wind" (in my heart); to the lament of growing old/preacher parody "Once in a Lifetime" (one of the all-time great productions); to my absolute favorite, the thundering, unrelenting and groove-filled "Great Curve."

It's an album it took me awhile to enjoy but is nonetheless one of my deepest, most experimental and headiest records of all time. Sorry for the terrible pun.

I think I'm gonna do another one of these tomorrow, let's see a few others from other posters!

Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2009, 09:47:20 AM »

Velvet Underground's Loaded. Unfairly maligned as too poppy and not the "real" VU without Cale or Mo. But I love it the most. (Granted, all four original albums and the stuff that made VU are all five-star albums in my book.) Yeah, so many of their fans act like the first two albums were the only ones that mattered. For me I think the best Velvets album is the self titled third. I like the soft and laid back yet still eerie and mysterious vibe of the album as a whole and I also think it has the group's best song, Pale Blue Eyes.

The White Album I mostly like just fine, all I would change would be the fourth side. I'd swap Revolution 1 and 9 for the take 20 version of Revolution that combines the best parts of Revolution 1 and 9, Honey Pie for Lady Madonna or the unreleased Goodbye, Savoy Truffle for Not Guilty and Goodnight for Across the Universe of which there were already three accpetable versions that could have been used, the one on Anthology 2 (my favorite,) the one used for the wildlife fund charity album and the unreleased one that starts with John saying "You're right Richie."

I think Quadrophenia is the best Who studio album overall, you get the conceptualism of Tommy and the production values of Who's Next all in one place and some really underrated Who songs like Sea and Sand, Punk and the Godfather, I'm One, Drowned and Love Reign Over Me.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:38:00 PM by Music Machine » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2009, 02:52:45 PM »

For a long time the third VU album was my favorite of theirs, too. The switch to Loaded might be as much need for a change of aural scenery as anything, because like I said, I do think all of their albums are absolutely wonderful. And I'm with you on Pale Blue Eyes. Magnificent. Same with I'm Beginning to See the Light. And really, Candy Says is one of my favorite songs ever, too. Maybe I'm changing my own mind back to that one.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2009, 07:58:40 AM »

Best Beatles album: Please Please Me!!

It's got the trademark Beatles sound, and a lot of catchy song to boot! Perfect for both rock and roll and pop fans...and it has one of the self-indulgent, "pretentious", elements that would show up in their later work. (Though I do like a lot of that "pretentious" stuff!!)

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx