gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:19:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Heroes and Villains: The True Story of the Beach Boys
5 - 8 (25%)
4 - 9 (28.1%)
3 - 9 (28.1%)
2 - 3 (9.4%)
1 - 3 (9.4%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heroes and Villains: The True Story of the Beach Boys  (Read 33159 times)
MBE
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 02:33:52 AM »

You know having Steven here changes my opinion. That he admits there were errors with the music really helps me see the book in a new light. The fact that he does like the music (including things like Holland) really gives him a lot more credibility in my eyes. Sure we know Brian was more active in the late sixties/early seventies and that Dennis played on more sessions then once thought, but this does give some insight to the group's up's and down's. It explains a lot about why things declined so much musically, and why relations between the group are so fragile today.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »

You know having Steven here changes my opinion. That he admits there were errors with the music really helps me see the book in a new light. The fact that he does like the music (including things like Holland) really gives him a lot more credibility in my eyes. Sure we know Brian was more active in the late sixties/early seventies and that Dennis played on more sessions then once thought, but this does give some insight to the group's up's and down's. It explains a lot about why things declined so much musically, and why relations between the group are so fragile today.

I really want to read this book!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 08:44:18 PM »

Did you get a hold of a copy? Read it along with the Stebbins books and maybe the Carlin and Priess ones and you get a very complete picture. For the music of course Andrew is the one to go to.
Lady
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 10:05:49 PM »

I really like this book, too.  I have to disagree when I hear it dismissed as gossip.  There is a lot of historical value to this book.   The book begins with the days leading to Dennis' death, and I read that the author painstakingly interviewed and researched for this chapter, which could not have been an easy task for him.   

This book came out before the internet, when the only information you could find on The Beach Boys would be if they were featured in a magazine here and there.  When this book came out, fans could finally get a clearer picture about the band members as human beings, warts and all.   It's one of the very few books that I keep around to read again and again.

I was glad to see the author posting and then sorry to hear he left...... I think he deserves credit for his hard work, and for having the courage to tell it like it was.  It's not always easy being the messenger.  He is a wealth of knowledge on the band, and he definitely has my appreciation!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:08:37 AM by Lady » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 10:07:28 AM »

Just finished reading the book...and while I disagree with Gaines' opinions on some of the music, and saw a few spelling errors in people's names, I really love all the little sordid details...and I never even knew about Debbie Keil until I read the book....seems like Peter Ames Carlin left out a few things in his Brian bio.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 05:57:21 AM »

I never knew just how racist The Beach Boys were before reading this book... The casual anti-Semitism -- to say nothing of the displeasure and alleged framing (for possession of cocaine, in order to get rid of her) of Brian's black nurse-girlfriend! -- was more than a little off-putting. Especially from the Wilsons, who you'd think would be more sensitive about that kind of stuff considering the Rovells, whom one of them was married to (and of course lusted after both others...) are Jewish!

Generally though, yeah, this was a real good read. Quick too, I finished it in two or three days as it was hard to put down. I also thought it really gave a great sense of the long shadow Murry cast over his kids as people and professionals.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 11:40:16 AM »

Gaines was often wrong re chart positions as well. In his book/world PET SOUNDS hit #11 and HOLLAND #37.  OK, he was only off by one each time, but this data is easily available. Sloppy work.

I heard a radio interview with Gaines back in 1986 and his general ignorance of the music was glaringly obvious. As a result, I've always held his book in contempt, even though the gossip is good.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »

Steven Gaines on...

Beach Boys' Party: "a superb album"

Friends: "a boring, emotionless LP"

Yeah...

(Great read though, and the #1 source for gossip and rare photos.)
MBE
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 04:07:44 PM »

You know there is some truth there, but honestly having reread it I am not as impressed as before. Probably because I see that some people take the more crazy and unverified stories to be gospel. Good for the business end of things, good for the 1978 tour, OK on the 1962-65 era but honestly you can find better now.
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 03:26:32 PM »

I bought this when it was new, and I've just reread it for the first time in a couple of years, probably.

I was put off by the tone of it when I first read it.  It doesn't seem as tawdry now as it did then.  This was the first time I'd ever read of someone being called "a sick f***."  I've still never heard anyone say that in person.

Gaines seems to have gotten to interview a lot of people, and there are a lot of quotes.  Not as much about the music as I would have liked.

I liked the beginning, with his journalistic depiction of Dennis's last days on Earth.  His death had been only two or three years before the book was written, so it was fairly fresh news.  It was hard to read that and not wonder what would have happened if Dennis had gone to rehab and stuck it out.  People close to Dennis, I think, did the best they could, but he had to be the one to do the rehab.

Dennis never talked about Manson that I know of, so the book is understandably thin about that period of his life.  About Brian, it's too easy to get the impression that he didn't get out of bed for literally years at a time.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx