gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:01:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: www.beachboys45.nl  (Read 89722 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2009, 03:46:43 AM »

Hello Token,

Just watch out it won't backfire on you! Collector's can be so cruel...

I get the idea there's only a few minor shades-differences, whether you call it tan or avocado or beige. I think there could be a link between the different shades and the pressing plant, so I would also advise you to check initials in the run-out grooves. If we can discover similarities, then we'd be getting somewhere.

AND PUT THE OLIVE GREEN FLIPS UP THERE SO I KNOW WHICH ONES TO CHANGE SMILE. 

What do you mean exactly? I think that you can recognise your scans that are shown on the website. In most cases just an A- or B-side. I think it's up to you to decide whether a certain scan could be done better.
But if you mean something else, just let me know.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2009, 10:42:46 AM »

SO I HAVE TO NOW USE THE COLOUR/COLOR SCALE TO TWEAK THE COLOR AS CLOSELY AS POSSIBLE TO THAT OLIVE BROWN  AND IT ISN'T GOING TO BE EASY I HAVE TO DO THE SAME FOR THE OLIVE GREEN .

Token, please don't try to tweak the colors, even if it's with the best of intentions. You've already caused a problem doing that for another reason. Don't compound the situation.

One thing you're not taking into account is the impact of your monitor on what you're seeing. Monitors are rarely perfect reproducers of colors. Unless you've fine-tuned yours, you can't trust that what you're seeing on the screen is accurate. Which means that you may be screwing up a perfectly good scan, one that would be "just right" on a calibrated monitor.

If you're determined to try to tweak your scans to color perfection, then you need to calibrate your monitor's color reproduction capabilities. Go here to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration.htm

Personally, I think it's not worth the time and trouble. Everybody else's monitor is likely to be off just a little, so it's not like it's really going to benefit anyone. Everybody's going to see something just a little bit different. I think the goal here should be to provide people a general guide to what they're going to find if they try to collect BB Starlines, not to illustrate minute shade differences between different pressings of the same record.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2009, 11:40:07 AM »

Asked a friend of mine who's in graphics design about calibrating monitors. He had two recommendation:

(1) Change the color temperature of your monitor to 6500K. Most monitors are set by default to 9300K, which gives everything a bluish tint. Usually this setting can be changed from the hardware menu accessed by pressing some of the adjustment buttons on the front of your monitor. (On my monitor, I found the color temperature settings under a menu item titled "Viewmatch Color.")

(2) Use a free program called QuickGamma to set the Brightness, Contrast and Gamma for your monitor. He said there are better professional programs, but they'll cost you more than a little. Here's the link to QuickGamma's webpage:

http://www.quickgamma.de/indexen.html

The download button is at the bottom of that page.
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2009, 03:24:59 PM »

THANKS I'LL TRY ANYTHING AT THIS POINT.
Arapaho
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2009, 05:26:04 PM »

I've been following this thread( as a guest) and it's been quite interesting for me, as a casual collector, to know there are people who go to such lengths in their collecting. Of course, it stands to reason you'd do this because you want to know all you can about what you're collecting. ( not just to mess with people)
 The reason I registered, and am posting, is because I knew( In the back of my mind) it was only a matter of time before Rockford (DEFINTELY A TOKEN SURFER) would throw a monkey wrench into the group.
He can't help it; it's just the way he is.
Always has been, always will be.
All the way back to our early years in Vancouver and Memphis Beach.
Always puffing up, with nothing to back it up.
I wouldn't trust a single thing he's said to be true.
Your mileage may vary, of course.
Love ya Rich!

Arapaho
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 30, 2009, 11:12:41 PM »

SPEAKING OF THROWING A MONKEY WRENCH  LOOK AT YOUR DOING.ARAPAHO.  I CAME CLEAN . AND THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING.  WE DO HAVE ALL THESE STARLINE LABELS. JEALOUSY DOESN'T BECOME YOU.  RIGHT BACK AT YA.
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 30, 2009, 11:23:31 PM »

YOUR RIGHT BEACH HEAD MONITORS ARE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT BUT AS I LOOK AT IT IN THE SUNLIGHT I WANTED TO MAKE SURE  TO LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT IT IS OLIVE GREEN OLIVE BROWN AND A FEW AVOOCADO.  THAT'S THE TRUE COLOURS I'VE BEEN DEALING WITH.    AS FAR AS ARAPAHO IS CONCERNED . HE COULDN'T RESIST GETTING A JAB IN THERE HIMSELF.  NOTHING'S CHANGED.   RIGHT OH SILVER TONGUED SURFER.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 01, 2009, 12:53:56 AM »

C'mon folks, be nice... don't discourage the good work that is done here.   Smiley

Or are you both simply having a bit of fun on this subject?  Roll Eyes

... as a casual collector ...

Casual? Naaah, that can't be !  Cheesy

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2009, 11:15:05 AM »

Well, "Dogbone" disappears, and "Arapaho" appears.  Arapaho, if you are who I think you are, I remember lots of fun with you, your dog Dibbles, and the girls on the beach.   (apologies to everyone for the inside jokes!)

Seriously, I think I may have been able to add a couple of things at the beginning of this thread, but I think all have been covered now.   But I'll pull out my old Starline box this weekend to confirm.

Arapaho, you still got that Phil Spector Gold Star acetate of "Don't Hurt My Little Sister?"    Grin

Lee
Arapaho
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 01, 2009, 07:58:35 PM »

yes.
( the walrus was Paul? )
 I remember only too well the trips RR  would take, only to come up short of breath in the hills. 
Like I said, your mileage may vary. Peoples make their own choices;
and yes, casual.
Maybe 'across the board' is better? Or maybe just not as serious as some of you.
BUt it's as interesting as anything I've read in quite some time.
 Who knew there were not only all of these different releases, but collectors out there buying them?
Going back to casual now.
Hope you see things through.
You'll need a lot more help, if you put your  trust in tokens.
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 05, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »

PLEASE PAY NO MIND TO ARAPAHO HE'S THE BIGGEST CON  WE'VE GOT GOIN' . AND SMILE WHAT'S THERE NOT TO TRUST YOU'VE GOT MY WHOLE YELLOW SWIRL COLLECTION . WHAT COULD LITTLE OLD ME POSSIBLY  DO  . WE'VE GOT AS MANY STARLINES OUT THERE AS WE POSSIBLY COULD . AND IF LEE COMES THRU WITH A  FEW MORE ALL THE BETTER.  THANKS LEE FOR ANY HELP.    AND LEAVE THE ANCIENT HISTORY WHERE IT SHOULD BE IN THE PAST ARAPAHO. WE'RE TALKING OVER 20 YRS AGO.   CAN'T WE JUST GET ALONG FOR MICHAEL JACKSON'S  SAKE.  PLEASE.  OOPS IS THAT ARAPAHO PUKING  IN THE TOILET.  IT MUST HAVE BEEN SOMETHING HE DIGESTED TOO MANY TOKENS I SUPPOSE.  IT'S BEEN A REAL SLICE ARAPAHO.  AND A HAPPY 4TH TO YA  ALL  IN THE U S OF A.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 06, 2009, 12:00:36 AM »

I'm obviously not a long-time fan and collector like you guys, and not part of the (hard core collector's) club, let alone your joint history. So I might not totally understand the hassle...

But I'm trying to look forward on this project and get the best possible result with ALL of you.... I'm very happy with the result thus far, thanks to you all (save a joke or two, but if we can move on on a serious note from now on, we forget about that)

So I'm not asking you to kiss and make up ... just don't let possible inner conflicts let this project fall apart.

Jason
« Reply #212 on: July 14, 2009, 11:01:42 PM »

Amazing how great threads turn to sh*t so easily because one dude has to pimp up his overbearingly pathetic collection of reissues and people actually call him out on it.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2009, 12:16:51 AM »

don't worry, work still continues... until now there are still weekly updates.  Smiley

TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2009, 12:01:17 AM »

NO SENSE OF HUMOUR. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT HUMOUR IS A VERY CULTURAL. UNIQUE TO EACH COUNTRY.  AND IT TRANSLATES POORLY  WHEN POSTING .  NEVERTHELESS THE CAPITOL STARLINES  ARE COMPLETED.  YE HAVE LITTLE FAITH WHAT'S LIFE WITHOUT A LITTLE CONTROVERSY . IT  WOULD BE TOO BORING. 
Jason
« Reply #215 on: July 19, 2009, 11:32:35 AM »

Oh, boo-hoo. You got caught in a "joke" and get this...it wasn't funny! My advice to you is to take the tongue lashings like a man and don't try to pimp up your overbearingly pathetic collection of reissues, especially on a BEACH BOYS forum where people without stuff hate those who do just by association.

Perhaps now you should try and tell me you have everything the band has in their tape vault, right? Surely THAT one will go unchallenged, right?
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 19, 2009, 09:39:23 PM »

WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM . YOU CAN;T  TAKE A JOKE .   MAN UP AND TAKE IT. AND I AM NOT THE ONE WITH ALL THE REISSUES . WHY DON'T YOU GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.  IT'S DOGBONE THAT HAS 95% OF IT  I ONLY ADDED 5% TO WHAT HE DIDN'T HAVE. AND I HAVE LESS THAN HALF OF WHAT DOGBONE HAS IN CAPITOL REISSUES.   GEE DEAR YOU GOT A COMPLEX.   GET OVER IT.  THE REAL BEACH BOY!! ONE THIN DIME JUST ONE-TENTH OF A DOLLAR  COME AND SEE STELLA THE SNAKE DANCER  , STEP RIGHT UP FOLKS  AND SEE THE REAL BEACH BOY, LOOKS LIKE  A FAKE TO ME. .    NOW LET'S LEAVE IT ALONE.  ENOUGH ALREADY. BUT I KNOW YOU CAN'T RESIST.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 19, 2009, 11:27:30 PM »

C'mon, behave kids. This has nothing to do with this topic anymore. Back to "Starline" please.

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 20, 2009, 03:00:00 AM »

C'mon, behave kids. This has nothing to do with this topic anymore. Back to "Starline" please.
Exactly!!

Watson, did you hear this?
Jason
« Reply #219 on: July 20, 2009, 06:22:38 PM »

I knew I needed to punctuate my posts with a smiley to indicate a joke.

No hard feelings, Token. I'm just kidding with you.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 21, 2009, 12:45:31 AM »

Work continues.
Now that the Starlines are nearing completion (if that is ever possible), I already took the freedom to start adding pictures to other US re-issues (Capitol, Warner/Reprise, etc.) as well.
Just a start, not complete by a long shot, but I think it will trigger things to get these sections complete as well.

And we haven't even started with the regular releases yet...  Ahhh!

Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 26, 2009, 08:47:23 AM »

Two of our "missing" Starlines showed up on eBay recently:

(1) "When I Grow Up" b/w "She Knows Me Too Well" (6204) on the Rainbow Colorband label. It was the only Starline single we hadn't yet confirmed on that label.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-BEACH-BOYS-WHEN-I-GROW-UP-MINT-7-SINGLE-1964_W0QQitemZ400061791579

(2) "Wendy" b/w "Little Honda" (6205) on the Blue label with the "A" prefix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beach-Boys-Unplayed-45-Wendy-Little-Honda_W0QQitemZ350230338474

Therefore, it seems an appropriate time to post another revision of THE LIST.  Our "Want List" continues to shrink!

--------------------

Revision #5 (7/26/09) of THE LIST:

6059 - Be True To Your School/In My Room (08/65)
     Green Swirl
     Red/White Target
     Red/White Target with "Subsidiary" notation
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (C logo) with “All Rights Reserved” notation
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6060 - Ten Little Indians/She Knows Me Too Well (08/65)
     Green Swirl
     Red/White Target

6081 - Help Me, Rhonda/Do You Wanna Dance? (07/66)
     Green Swirl
     Red/White Target
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6094 - Surfin’ U.S.A./Shut Down (10/66)
     Green Swirl
     Red/White Target
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6095 - Surfin’ Safari/409 (10/66)
     Green Swirl
     Red/White Target
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6105 - Dance, Dance, Dance/Warmth Of The Sun (06/67)
     Light Green (promo)
     Red/White Target
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband

6106 - Fun, Fun, Fun/Why Do Fools Fall In Love (06/67)
     Light Green (promo)
     Red/White Target
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6107 - Surfer Girl/Little Deuce Coupe (06/67)
     Light Green (promo)
     Red/White Target
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6132 - Good Vibrations/Barbara Ann (12/69)
     Tan (C logo)

6204 - When I Grow Up/She Knows Me Too Well (05/74)
     Tan (C logo)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband

6205 - Wendy/Little Honda (05/74)
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband

6259 - Barbara Ann/Little Honda (06/78)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6277 - Little Saint Nick/The Lord’s Prayer (11/81)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6280 - I Get Around/Don't Worry Baby (11/81)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6289 - California Girls/Let Him Run Wild (11/81)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6295 - Sloop John B/You're So Good To Me (11/81)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6330 - Good Vibrations/Wouldn't It Be Nice (??/83)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

--------------------

The "PROBABLY NON-EXISTENT" list:

6060 - Ten Little Indians/She Knows Me Too Well (08/65)
     ALL LATER STARLINE LABEL VARIATIONS

6105 - Dance, Dance, Dance/Warmth Of The Sun (06/67)
     Purple

6132 - Good Vibrations/Barbara Ann (12/69)
     ALL LATER STARLINE LABEL VARIATIONS

Purple

Purple

--------------------

And the updated "WANT LIST":

6059 - Be True To Your School/In My Room (08/65)
     Blue (A prefix)

6106 - Fun, Fun, Fun/Why Do Fools Fall In Love (06/67)
     Blue (A prefix)

Tan (dome logo)

6259 - Barbara Ann/Little Honda (06/78)
     Tan (dome logo)
toadota
Smiley Smile Newbie

I graduated from H.S. after Surfin' Safari.

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 10, 2009, 04:23:08 PM »

If you want to see an authentic Best of the Beach Boys LP with the black starline label, check out ebay item #330351165058, or search on Ebay for "capitol black starline". They are rare!

a broken man too tough to cry
toadota
Smiley Smile Newbie

I graduated from H.S. after Surfin' Safari.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 10, 2009, 06:01:43 PM »

If you want to see an authentic Best of the Beach Boys LP with the black starline label, check out ebay item #330351165058, or search on Ebay for "capitol black starline". They are rare!

a broken man too tough to cry
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 21, 2009, 12:53:46 PM »

After a month hiatus (holidays et all), I finally had some time on my hands again to give the Starline site (quite) a few new additions. Red-Target, Blue (A- and X-prefix), TanC's and Rainbow, you name it. With many thanks to those who help out delivering scans and providing me of information. It's very much appreciated.

http://www.beachboys45.nl

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx