gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:06:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: www.beachboys45.nl  (Read 89688 times)
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2009, 04:23:26 PM »

Dogbone, did you notice that on the non-Subsidiary Target labels, all of your instances of the "Thick-Short" font coincide with the use of Black Print on the Bottom edge (BB)?  I don't think that's a coincidence.   Can we match that up to a particular pressing plant?

Also, I'm trying to evaluate the fonts on the Target labels I own, and I'm more than a little confused as to what constitues Thick vs. Skinny and Tall vs. Short.  Is there a possibility that you could go through Tokensurfer's Facebook photos and tell us which are TT, TS, ST and SS, so that we can have a visual guide to those characteristics?   That would go a long way toward allowing me to contribute to your list of Target variations.

Hey Beach---

Yes, I agree.  Those with Black Print on the bottom, are probably from the same plant....but you know..things with the Red and White are so inconsistant....who knows if they're from the same plant??

As for my "codings"..it's easy.  If you look back on Jeff's post (Reply # 32 on this thread), he's posted 4 Green Swirl labels.  The first one is the THICK SHORT (ie TS)...the 2nd one is the THICK TALL(ie TT) (the font is slightly taller), the third is also THICK SHORT(again TS), and the Ten Little Indians, is SKINNY SHORT(ie SS).   Now..pull out your copy of GV/BA 6132.  This is the SKINNY TALL (ie ST)--the only one that has the Bigger Font in this style--unless you know of others?

Does this clear it up a bit? If you can figure out which font goes with which factory, or even find the "proper" names for the fonts..this would be helpful. 

I also know that there is a Times New Roman font used on some of the Green Swirls...I think "Help Me, Rhonda" on the Green Swirl is one that I remember off the top of my head. 

If you still have a problem with figuring out which font is which...let me know, and I'll check Token's and tell you which one is which.  I have them on my harddrive at home...and I'm at work.

Dogbone

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:38:16 PM by Dogbone51 » Logged
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2009, 04:52:31 PM »

WELL I WASN'T THAT SERIOUS ABOUT THE SCANS I CAN FIX THEM I ALREADY GOT THE HELP ME RHONDA RNBW ON AND MINE  LOOKS FINE. JUST CONCENTRATE ON THE BROWN AND THE BLUE I'LL DO THE PURPLE CONSIDERING I HAVE THEM ALL. AND I FOUND A DANCE DANCE BLUE  NOT THE BEST BUT NOT BAD FOR NOW.  I COULDN'T SLIP THAT RONDA CANADIAN  ONE BY YOU. MR EAGLE EYE. BUT UNTIL I SEE AN AMERICAN ONE I THOUGHT WE SHOULD SEE IT. I'LL GET THE  IMPOSTOR OUT AS SOON AS A USA ONE SHOWS UP. BUT I AM CANADIAN SO I DO CONSIDER IT JUST AS RELEVANT. I FOUND ANOTHER HELP ME BLUE BETTER ONE AND A SURFIN USA  IT LOOKS LIKE A DIFFERENT COLOUR /COLOR.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2009, 10:57:09 PM »

Dogbone, thanks for the primer on the font variations.  Unfortunately, after looking through my Target labels, I can't offer anything new to what you've already listed.  However, looking over Tokensurfer's photos on Facebook, I find the following variations you don't have listed:

6059 - Be True To Your School/In My Room                     TS-BB-B
6081 - Help Me, Rhonda/Do You Wanna Dance?             TT-WB-R   

Are we going to do the Green Swirl label variations next?
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2009, 01:06:13 AM »

Dogbone, thanks for the primer on the font variations.  Unfortunately, after looking through my Target labels, I can't offer anything new to what you've already listed.  However, looking over Tokensurfer's photos on Facebook, I find the following variations you don't have listed:

6059 - Be True To Your School/In My Room                     TS-BB-B
6081 - Help Me, Rhonda/Do You Wanna Dance?             TT-WB-R   

Are we going to do the Green Swirl label variations next?

Hey Beach Head--

Thanks for the Update. I will assume the two you've listed are WITHOUT the Subsidiary notation.  I've noted them on my list...and great to know these also exist.

The reason I didn't have them listed, is because I haven't had a chance to compare what I have on the list to what Token has on the Facebook.  So..I will confirm everything, and I will scan the ones he does NOT have on his Facebook, and send them to him to add.  Just haven't gotten to it.

Tonight I worked on the GREEN SWIRLS--

Here is a list of GREEN SWIRLS---which incorporates the same KEY as used on the RED AND WHITE..in terms of the FONT styles.  NOTE:  Beach Head:   Do you have a copy of IN MY ROOM with the SKINNY SHORT FONT (Token has posted BTTYS in this format)...I'm after a scan of it  for Token's facebook. 

Here's what I can confirm exists..based on MY collection, and Token's facebook:
(Obviously the ST refers to the Red and White Target--none exist on GREEN Swirl)
Feel free to add anything else I've missed:

KEY TO FONTS: 
TS   Thick-Short                  SS   Skinny-Short       TR   Times New Roman     
TT   Thick-Tall                    ST   Skinny-Tall

6059 - Be True To Your School/In My Room                         SS,  TS,
6060 - Ten Little Indians/She Knows Me Too Well                SS,    TS
6081 - Help Me, Rhonda/Do You Wanna Dance?                    TR,   TS
6094 - Surfin’ U.S.A./Shut Down                                          TS,   TT
6095 - Surfin’ Safari/409                                                     TS,   TT

I also have 4 Canadian GREEN SWIRL Starlines...but I'll save it for another time.

Dogbone Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 03:54:41 AM by Dogbone51 » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2009, 07:12:05 AM »

Capitol had four pressing plants - L.A., Scranton, Jacksonville, Il, and Winchester, VA - and it's probable that different label variations were pressed simultaneously by different plants.  I was doing a fair amount of web searching yesterday and have come up with this very general order and dates associated with the various label variations (this does not take into account further variations including song publishers):
The way to differentiate between the pressing plants is stamped in the runout grooves (from a post on Steve Hoffman's site):

1. A machine stamped triangle with the initials IAM indicates that the record was pressed at the Scranton, Pennsylvania plant.
Again per Mr. Spizer, "IAM" stood for the International Association of Machinists' union whose members worked at the Scranton plant. It first took effect on Scranton pressings around February, 1963. Prior to then (and after NAMI's takeover), an abstract anvil-type symbol was used.

2. A star (*) indicates that the record was pressed at the Los Angeles, California plant.

3. An 0, either stamped or hand written, indicates that the record was pressed at the Jacksonville, Illinois plant.

4. A line that branches into a V at the end (looks like a long stemmed wine glass) was supposed to be a Winchester rifle and indicates that the record was pressed at the Winchester, Virginia plant.

And the full matrix number as scratched or stamped into the runout grooves will also give an indication of the order of label variations at a particular plant.

Follow my CODES for additional information. 

FONT STYLES:        

TS = Thick-Short               SS = Skinny-Short         
TT = Thick-Tall                   ST =  Skinny-Tall

COLOR OF BOTTOM EDGE PRINTING

BB = “Black” print on Bottom Edge
WB = “White” print on Bottom Edge             

LOCATION OF SERIAL NUMBER

B =  “Serial # on Bottom of Label”        (or 6 o'clock position)
R =  “Serial # on Right Side of Label”   (or 3 o'clock position)

Using the KEY above THUS:     SS-BB-R  would mean:   
                   Skinny Short Font -- Black Print Bottom Edge -- “Serial # Right Side of Label

OK, now that we've concluded that there are 4 different font types AND 4 different pressing plants.

Could it be possible that there's a connection between font type and pressing plant? I would certainly make it easier to distinguish these 2x 4 variations.

I know, that still leaves the differences with the "black/white print at the bottom" and "location of serial number"...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2009, 02:23:38 PM »

Capitol had four pressing plants - L.A., Scranton, Jacksonville, Il, and Winchester, VA - and it's probable that different label variations were pressed simultaneously by different plants.  I was doing a fair amount of web searching yesterday and have come up with this very general order and dates associated with the various label variations (this does not take into account further variations including song publishers):
The way to differentiate between the pressing plants is stamped in the runout grooves (from a post on Steve Hoffman's site):

1. A machine stamped triangle with the initials IAM indicates that the record was pressed at the Scranton, Pennsylvania plant.
Again per Mr. Spizer, "IAM" stood for the International Association of Machinists' union whose members worked at the Scranton plant. It first took effect on Scranton pressings around February, 1963. Prior to then (and after NAMI's takeover), an abstract anvil-type symbol was used.

2. A star (*) indicates that the record was pressed at the Los Angeles, California plant.

3. An 0, either stamped or hand written, indicates that the record was pressed at the Jacksonville, Illinois plant.

4. A line that branches into a V at the end (looks like a long stemmed wine glass) was supposed to be a Winchester rifle and indicates that the record was pressed at the Winchester, Virginia plant.

And the full matrix number as scratched or stamped into the runout grooves will also give an indication of the order of label variations at a particular plant.

Follow my CODES for additional information. 

FONT STYLES:        

TS = Thick-Short               SS = Skinny-Short         
TT = Thick-Tall                   ST =  Skinny-Tall

COLOR OF BOTTOM EDGE PRINTING

BB = “Black” print on Bottom Edge
WB = “White” print on Bottom Edge             

LOCATION OF SERIAL NUMBER

B =  “Serial # on Bottom of Label”        (or 6 o'clock position)
R =  “Serial # on Right Side of Label”   (or 3 o'clock position)

Using the KEY above THUS:     SS-BB-R  would mean:   
                   Skinny Short Font -- Black Print Bottom Edge -- “Serial # Right Side of Label

OK, now that we've concluded that there are 4 different font types AND 4 different pressing plants.

Could it be possible that there's a connection between font type and pressing plant? I would certainly make it easier to distinguish these 2x 4 variations.

I know, that still leaves the differences with the "black/white print at the bottom" and "location of serial number"...

Hello Smile--

I'm aware of this post from Jeff, from the Steve  Hoffman website.  And yes, I think it's reasonable to say 4 variations 4 plants...etc..as you say in your post.   I have looked as some of my stuff as I've been going through it and scanning it.

The biggest problem, is simple.  Some of the records have no marks at all.  Some are faint and hard to read.  And some of the same fonts, as far as I can tell from "first" glance"...have different marking (meaning appear to be from "different plants").   After we get everything scanned and documented, I will go back, and try to take a closer look to determine if in fact, a certain font is ALWAYS from a certain pressing plant.  It's unclear at this point.

I do remember Jeff pointing out the one GREEN SWIRL he posted, as being from the Los Angeles plant.  This GREEN SWIRL, had the THICK-SHORT Font (based on my key).  I don't want to say, "Let's assume all THICK SHORT fonts are from Los Angeles"...but this may or may not be the case.  So..we'll have to explore it a little more.   I did say on the R&W Starline list, there doesn't seem to be any consistancy with the BLACK Print on the Bottom, and the WHITE Print on the bottom, since, there are different Fonts and some have BLACK and some have WHITE on the bottom--in other words BOTH variations..with the same style of Font.   So...again...we will have to explore it a little more.

Dogbone
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2009, 11:29:42 PM »

OK BEACH HEAD AGREED TEN LITTLE INDIANS JUST THE ONE R & W VARIATION. YOU'RE GETTING TO KNOW MY RED & WHITE STARLINES  COLLECTION BETTER THAN MYSELF.   AND I FOUND A PAGE THAT I ACCIDENTALLY TORE FROM A RECORD STORE CATALOGUE OF  BB REISSUE 45'S AUG 90. AND THERE WERE NO PURPLE 6204 6205 OR 6106 EVIDENTLY. EVERYTHING I HAVE PURPLE IS IN THAT CATALOGUE. SO YOU CAN ALSO SCRATCH THAT FROM YOUR WANT LIST. THOSE YELLOW CATALOGUES WERE TO ORDER THE AVAILABLE STOCK  OF THAT 45.  YOU'VE DONE YOUR HOMEWORK  I'VE USED THE SAME SYSTEM AS DOGBONE FOR MY YELLOW SWIRLS  SO IT'S EASY FOR ME TO UNDDERSTAND. CAN JEFF PLEASE SCAN SHUT DOWN  GREEN SWIRL. DOGBONE IS A BIT MASSACRED. I GOT THE X OUT BUT THAT 1963 WAS SMEARED UP SOMEBODY TRIED TO REMOVE IT UNSUCCESSFULLY AND THE RESULT IS NOT PRETTY.  OR MAYBE BEACH HEAD HAS IT I'LL PUT IT UP AND SEE IF YOU HAVE  THIS SHUT DOWN. I THINK JEFF DOES HOWEVER. I'VE TWO BLUE STARLINE HELP ME AND DANCE DANCE POSTED  AND SURFIN USA BROWN POSTED. I SHOULD INSIST ON THE DIFFERENCE IN THE AVOCADO AND BROWN STARLINES  THE GOOD VIBES 6132 IS A FIRST PRESS OF THE AVOCADO.  THERE IS A DISTINCT COLOUR/COLOR DIFFERENCE AND IT SHOULD BE NOTED AS SUCH. PLEASE MAKE OF NOTE IT BEACH  HEAD AND DOG BONE.
AND THANKS SMILE I'LL CHECK THE DEAD WAX.  THERE WERE 4 PLANTS BUT THEN TWO WERE GONE SOMETIME IN THE EARLY TO MID 70'S IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN.
I'LL BE POSTING THE GREEN SWIRL AFTER THIS MESSAGE AND THANKS  FOR YOUR DILIGENCE DOGBONE . I HAVE A BTTYS TT GS TO POST.  DID YOU FIGURE THAT ONE OUT.
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2009, 11:31:08 PM »

I MEANT THE FLIP IN MY ROOM GREEN SWIRL TT
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2009, 12:59:19 AM »

Damn!  I can't add anything to Dogbone's list of Green Swirl variations.  All of mine are listed.  I also did a run through current and recently completed eBay listings and didn't find anything there that wasn't on Dogbone's list, so I think we may have them all!

Tokensurfer, when you indicate that the Aug. 1990 Phonolog didn't show a Purple label 6106, do you mean 6105 (Dance Dance Dance b/w Warmth Of The Sun)?  We've already documented a Purple label 6106, but not a 6105.

If, as I suspect, Tokensurfer meant to type 6105 instead of 6106, do we agree that we should drop the Purple label 6105, 6204 and 6205 from the "Want List," based on the Phonolog listing?  I know the Phonolog wasn't infalliable, but my experience is that it usually was accurate.

If we drop those three from the "Want List," I'm going to use them (and a couple of other variations that we've ruled out) to start a companion "Non-Existent" list.

And, Dogbone, unfortunately I won't be contributing any scans to the visual documentation effort, at least for a while.  My scanner is an older SCSI model.  While the scanner itself works fine, the SCSI card it attaches to has gone a bit flaky and I'm having trouble tracking down a replacement. (It's not like most SCSI cards; the cable that attaches to it uses a 25-pin connector, not the more common 50-pin type, and nobody seems to make them anymore!)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 01:00:19 AM by Beach Head » Logged
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2009, 01:44:03 AM »

My answers/comments in YELLOW

CAN JEFF PLEASE SCAN SHUT DOWN  GREEN SWIRL. DOGBONE IS A BIT MASSACRED.

That would be great if JEFF has it.  My copy is the only one I have..and it is definitely "Sh*t". 

AND SURFIN USA BROWN POSTED. I SHOULD INSIST ON THE DIFFERENCE IN THE AVOCADO AND BROWN STARLINES  THE GOOD VIBES 6132 IS A FIRST PRESS OF THE AVOCADO.  THERE IS A DISTINCT COLOUR/COLOR DIFFERENCE AND IT SHOULD BE NOTED AS SUCH. PLEASE MAKE OF NOTE IT BEACH  HEAD AND DOG BONE.

I'm not sure I understand?  I mean..the only copy we have of GV/BA 6132 Tan is the one I have....I suppose you're saying we should assume both an Avocado colorered one and a Tan one exist?  I suppose this is okay...but I would prefer to not make an assumption, until someone can actually document it.   I do understand, very clearly about the variations of TAN--both light and dark, and Avocado...I guess we can do it either way..as long as we note that mine is the only one that's "documented" or something like this.  I mean, the possibility of it existing does exist, but based on the speculation about the Tan GV/BA being discontinued and/or destroyed when Warners took over the rights to GOOD VIBES...it seems more likely it does not exist.  Is this making any sense?

AND THANKS SMILE I'LL CHECK THE DEAD WAX.  THERE WERE 4 PLANTS BUT THEN TWO WERE GONE SOMETIME IN THE EARLY TO MID 70'S IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN.

Like I said, let's get everything scanned...and then I'll start checking the Deadwax as well.  And I think you're right Token, 2 plants may have shut down.  Do we know which ones?

I'LL BE POSTING THE GREEN SWIRL AFTER THIS MESSAGE AND THANKS  FOR YOUR DILIGENCE DOGBONE. I HAVE A BTTYS TT GS TO POST.  DID YOU FIGURE THAT ONE OUT.

You have the BTTYS with the THICK TALL Font?  Cool.  Another one to add to the list.  Super.  Will you post the IMR side as well, keeping with having BOTH sides posted?? And Token--do you have the IMR with the SKINNY SHORT font, to compliment the BTTYS SKINNY SHORT one you've already posted?  Do you own that copy?

My answers/comments in PINK

Damn!  I can't add anything to Dogbone's list of Green Swirl variations.  All of mine are listed.  I also did a run through current and recently completed eBay listings and didn't find anything there that wasn't on Dogbone's list, so I think we may have them all!

Hey Beach Head--glad to hear..that it's fairly complete..or at least we speculate that it is.  I have a feeling a few more will turn up...someone's got to have one or two or three we haven't documented.

Tokensurfer, when you indicate that the Aug. 1990 Phonolog didn't show a Purple label 6106, do you mean 6105 (Dance Dance Dance b/w Warmth Of The Sun)?  We've already documented a Purple label 6106, but not a 6105.

Yes, I think he made an error there as well.  The Phonolog is pretty accurate--and I'm curious..do you or Token know if the GV/BA Tan 6132 was ever listed in there??  I wonder.

If, as I suspect, Tokensurfer meant to type 6105 instead of 6106, do we agree that we should drop the Purple label 6105, 6204 and 6205 from the "Want List," based on the Phonolog listing?  I know the Phonolog wasn't infalliable, but my experience is that it usually was accurate.

I have them on my list as "Probably doesn't exist" ....but who knows..they may pop up one day...ya never know...right?

If we drop those three from the "Want List," I'm going to use them (and a couple of other variations that we've ruled out) to start a companion "Non-Existent" list.

Why don't you call the list, "FAIRLY CERTAIN THEY DON'T EXIST--BUT NEVER SAY NEVER"   LOL!!  Or something to indicate they're "Non-Existent" at this point, but possible?  How does that sound?

And, Dogbone, unfortunately I won't be contributing any scans to the visual documentation effort, at least for a while.  My scanner is an older SCSI model.  While the scanner itself works fine, the SCSI card it attaches to has gone a bit flaky and I'm having trouble tracking down a replacement. (It's not like most SCSI cards; the cable that attaches to it uses a 25-pin connector, not the more common 50-pin type, and nobody seems to make them anymore!)

Well dam.  I understand what you mean.  Could you perhaps use a friends??  I mean, ONLY if it's something Token, Jeff, SMILE, or myself doesn't have, but we need to complete the set??   

I took a bit of a break from dealing with the STARLINES tonight.  But I'm hoping to get more stuff to Token over the weekend.  It's great that everyone is contributing, and I do hope we can set up something permanent on the web for all of these Scans, and all of this info we're sharing and somewhat documenting.  I know I find it intriguing to find out some "new" stuff exist..well, new in a sense, I didn't know of it before.

Token--glad the Zip.file worked for you!!

Dogbone
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2009, 10:49:50 PM »

YEA  BEACH HEAD I DID IT AGAIN DANCE DANCE  IT IS .  DAMN I SHOULD NOT BE MAKING THAT MISTAKE.  I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU GUYS HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR SCANNERS. I HAVE ONE WITH A USB PORT IT'S A CANON . NO PROBLEM. GEE MAYBE I SHOULD DO A COMMERCIAL FOR 'EM.   BUT DO YOU BEACH HEAD HAVE THE SHUT DOWN PRESSING THAT LOOKS LIKE DOGBONE'S WITH THE 1963 ACROSS. I COULD ONLY CLEAN UP THE X MARK.  IT'S TOO SMEARED FOR MY TOUCHUP PROGRAM ON MY MAC..
 O H DEAR. MUST BE THAT AMERICAN - CANADIAN CROSSING OUR WIRES THING.   NO I'VE ALWAYS AGREED THAT THE GOOD VIBES 6132 DOGBONE IS THE ONE AND ONLY PRESSING IN EXISTENCE ON THE AVOCADO.  THE POINT I'M MAKING IS THAT IT SHOWS THAT THE AVOCADO WAS THE FIRST PRESSING BEFORE THE TAN CAME OUT ON  ANY TITLE.. AGREED?  AND THAT I AGREE NO TAN OF GOOD VIBES EXISTS. IF IT DOES THAT WILL REALLY BLOW ME AWAY.   IF YOU CHECK YOU'LL NOTE THAT I'VE ADDED A TAN SURFIN USA TO THE AVOCADO PRESSING ALREADY THERE AND  IDENTICAL IN FONT AND CONFIGURATION.
OOPS BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD TT MEANT THIN TALL IN MY BOOK. YIKES I GUESS I DON'T HAVE YOUR SYSTEM FIGURED OUT JUST YET.  I HAVE WHAT LOOKS LIKE A SKINNY TALL IN MY ROOM. ARE YOU SURE MY BE TRUE TO IS SKIINY SHORT. IT LOOKS TALLER THAN SHORT.  I HAVE IT IN MY COLLECTION. 
I'M GLAD BEACH HEAD IS GETTING THE PINK COLOR. I'VE GOT A MANLY IMAGE  TO MAINTAIN.  THOUGH I'M NOT SURE  BEING YELLOW IS THAT MUCH BETTER.  JUST MESSIN' AROUND WITH YOU GUYS. TOKENSURFER
brother 1002
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2009, 06:19:48 AM »

Hi Tokensurfer. I'm sorry but I can't seem to access your site on Facebook. I joined and did searches under your name and under Beach Boys, but nothing came up. Can you help me? (As you can tell, I'm not well versed in Facebook!) Thanks!

Oh, by the way, are you interested in some scans of 70's Reprise Beach Boys 45s? I've gotsome good ones on the brown Reprise label

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
— Groucho Marx
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2009, 10:26:03 AM »

Hi Tokensurfer. I'm sorry but I can't seem to access your site on Facebook. I joined and did searches under your name and under Beach Boys, but nothing came up.

I had the same problem at first. It seems you have to search on somebody's full e-mail address. When I realized that, I was able to find Tokensurfer's e-mail addy here and using that worked. Seach on: tokensurfer53@gmail.com
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 30, 2009, 04:13:23 PM »

Hey Everyone--

I'm gonna be "missing in action" for a little while.  I lost a very close friend yesterday.

Just need some time.  But I'll be back with some more info, and scans for Token.

Thanks for understanding.

Hang tight.

Dogbone
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2009, 10:54:17 PM »

HEY BROTHER 1002  I GUESS YOU FOLLOW BEACH HEAD'S DIRECTIONS.   AND EMAIL AT THAT ADDRESS. AND YEA I'D LIKE SCANS OF THE BROWN REPRISE. DO YOU HAVE STOCK OF COOL COOL WATER AND SURF'S UP.  I HAVE A PIC OF FOREVER BUT NEED COOL COOL WATER AND SURF'S UP. I'M DOING SHEET MUSIC AT THE MOMENT. AND THAT'S GOING UP AFTER THIS MESSAGE.
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2009, 10:57:09 PM »

TOUGH BREAK DOGBONE. I JUST LOST A FRIEND A FEW WEEKS AGO TO LIVER CANCER HE WAS ONLY 52. HOPE YOU CAN RECOVER AND BOUNCE BACK. IT DOES MAKE WHAT WERE DOING SEEM TRIVIAL ALL OF A SUDDEN.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2009, 12:34:29 AM »

Dogbone, you're in my thoughts.  I lost a close friend from my college days to a heart attack just three weeks ago.  He was a year younger than me!  Very tough to deal with.

--------------------

I've made no changes to the main list, but have modified the secondary lists to reflect input on probable non-existent singles from Tokensurfer and Dogbone.

--------------------

Revision #4 of THE LIST:

6059 - Be True To Your School/In My Room (08/65)
     Green Swirl
     Red/White Target
     Red/White Target with "Subsidiary" notation
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (C logo) with “All Rights Reserved” notation
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6060 - Ten Little Indians/She Knows Me Too Well (08/65)
     Green Swirl
     Red/White Target

6081 - Help Me, Rhonda/Do You Wanna Dance? (07/66)
     Green Swirl
     Red/White Target
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6094 - Surfin’ U.S.A./Shut Down (10/66)
     Green Swirl
     Red/White Target
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6095 - Surfin’ Safari/409 (10/66)
     Green Swirl
     Red/White Target
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6105 - Dance, Dance, Dance/Warmth Of The Sun (06/67)
     Light Green (promo)
     Red/White Target
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband

6106 - Fun, Fun, Fun/Why Do Fools Fall In Love (06/67)
     Light Green (promo)
     Red/White Target
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6107 - Surfer Girl/Little Deuce Coupe (06/67)
     Light Green (promo)
     Red/White Target
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6132 - Good Vibrations/Barbara Ann (12/69)
     Tan (C logo)

6204 - When I Grow Up/She Knows Me Too Well (05/74)
     Tan (C logo)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)

6205 - Wendy/Little Honda (05/74)
     Tan (C logo)
     Tan (dome logo)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband

6259 - Barbara Ann/Little Honda (06/78)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6277 - Little Saint Nick/The Lord’s Prayer (11/81)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6280 - I Get Around/Don't Worry Baby (11/81)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6289 - California Girls/Let Him Run Wild (11/81)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6295 - Sloop John B/You're So Good To Me (11/81)
     Blue (A prefix)
     Blue (X prefix)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

6330 - Good Vibrations/Wouldn't It Be Nice (??/83)
     Rainbow Colorband
     Purple

--------------------

The newly-created "PROBABLY NON-EXISTENT" list:

6060 - Ten Little Indians/She Knows Me Too Well (08/65)
     AND ALL LATER STARLINE LABEL VARIATIONS

6105 - Dance, Dance, Dance/Warmth Of The Sun (06/67)
     Purple

6132 - Good Vibrations/Barbara Ann (12/69)
     AND ALL LATER STARLINE LABEL VARIATIONS

Purple

Purple

--------------------

And the updated "WANT LIST":

6059 - Be True To Your School/In My Room (08/65)
     Blue (A prefix)

6106 - Fun, Fun, Fun/Why Do Fools Fall In Love (06/67)
     Blue (A prefix)

Tan (dome logo)
     Rainbow Colorband

Blue (A prefix)

6259 - Barbara Ann/Little Honda (06/78)
     Tan (dome logo)

--------------------

Since it appears almost certain that 6204 (When I Grow Up/She Knows Me Too Well) doesn't exist on the Purple label, is it too early to conclude that it probably doesn't exist on the Rainbow Colorband label either?  It's the only Rainbow Colorband single we haven't documented.  Input?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 31, 2009, 12:53:23 AM »

Hey Everyone--

I'm gonna be "missing in action" for a little while.  I lost a very close friend yesterday.

Just need some time.  But I'll be back with some more info, and scans for Token.

Thanks for understanding.

Hang tight.

Dogbone

Dogbone,

That's sad news. As roken already said, there are many things in life much more important than the BB. Take care and when you're mind is up to it again, we'll happily welcome you back here.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2009, 01:32:34 AM »

Are you kidding?  There must be at least 10 different sleeves...well I know there's a lot.

Original STARLINE (like the one pictured on Jeff's scan)
Starline TARGET--some are RED, some are more ORANGE, and there's even a GREEN Variation
Grey (with Purple Starlines)
Black type (with BLUE)
Black (from the RAINBOW)
Silver (from various)

Well, that's eight of them..off the top of my head.

Dogbone Ahhh!

Back on the sleeves:
I've seen several scans of them, but I have a hard time putting them in the right order and placing them with the right labels. Here's my guess, please correct me if I'm wrong (and I realsise that in some cases more than 1 sleeve was used)

GREEN-label   AND   LIME/PROMO-label   AND    RED TARGET-label

TAN/AVOCADE (both C-logo and dome-logo)

+     BLUE-label   AND   RAINBOW-label

+    PURPLE-label    (is this the grey or the silver cover?)

I might be missing a few sleeves here, but even then I'm doubting on the TAN/AVOCADE sleeves (and in which order). Please correct me.  Grin

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:34:26 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 31, 2009, 02:12:31 PM »

Well, I guess I should give it a try. I've just uploaded a very basic website for the Starline (and other reissues) label.

Go HERE

It's very basic ("ugly" might be a better word), undoubtly full of errors, still lacks a lot of information and pictures, obviously the work of an amateur...

Grin 

So please be gentle with me. 2 days of hard labour and that for a digital nitwit... I was glad enough I succeeded in uploading it at all.  Grin  Grin

Again, this is just a first attempt, not at all what I'm aiming for. This is a temporary website (I don't have enough space on my account anyway), I intend to get hold of a more logic domain-name. If possible a more common title under which I can collect more than just the Starlines. More MB-space too. And off course a good template that makes it much more attractive to visit. See this as a project that is still in development. First thing that I'd like to get right at the moment, is that all information is correct. So additions, corrections and other suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 12:58:51 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 31, 2009, 06:30:17 PM »

THE STARLINE SLEEVES
PURPLE LABEL
PLAIN GREY
PLAIN BLACK
MOTTLED SILVER

RAINBOW
PLAIN GREY

BLUE
BLACK WITH STARS

AVOCADO
GREEN CAP C

TAN BROWN
ORANGE CAP C
ORANGE CAP DOME

RED & WHITE TARGET
ORANGE CAP C

GREEN SWIRL
BLUE SLEEVE
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2009, 06:42:35 PM »

ALSO THE TAN  BROWN CAP DOME SOME CAME OUT WITH A PLAIN WHITE GLOSSY SLEEVE;  AND A PLAIN BLACK GLOSSY FOR THE PURPLE LABEL. SLEEVE.
ANYBODY KNOW WHO STEVE CATT AND  CHRISTIAN BREMER ARE YOU A PART OF THIS BB FORUM. JUST SO I HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT'S GOING ON TO ADD YOU TO FACEBOOK AS FRIENDS.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2009, 12:59:51 AM »

THE STARLINE SLEEVES

ah, thank you!!

TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2009, 01:45:56 AM »

SMILE THIS MAY NOT BE A PERFECT SCIENCE.   BUT AS I RECALL. THE  GREEN CAP C SLEEVE WAS INTENDED AND USED FOR THE AVOCADO. THAT'S NOT TO SAY THAT SOME EXTRA STOCK WASN'T USED ON THE BROWN. WHICH EXPLAINS WHY THERE ARE MORE ORANGE SLEEVES. THE AVOCADO HAD A MUCH SHORTER RUN THAN THE TAN BROWN SERIES.   AGAIN I/M GOING BY WHAT I RECALL WAY BACK THEN. DON'T FORGET I WAS A HIPPY SO I DID INDULGE BACK THEN.  THE ORANGE CAP C SLEEVE  WAS INITIALLY INTENDED FOR THE RED & WHITE TARGET.  HOWEVER THAT CHANGED WHEN THE AVOCADO INITIALLY CAME OUT WITH THE GREEN SLEEVE.  THIS IS PART THEORY AND PART RECOLLECTION.   THEN I BELIEVE THEY WENT BACK TO THE ORANGE  CAP C WITH THE BROWN TAN SERIES THEN THE ORNAGE  CAP DOME LEEVE. LIKE I SAID BEFORE MY LITTLE HONDA WENDY  BROWN CAME IN A WHITE GLOSSY SLEEVE. I HAD BOUGHT IT BRAND NEW BACK THEN IN THE LATE 70'S. IT WAS NEW STOCK THE STORE KEPT ON THEIR SHELVES FOR A FEW YRS AFTER THE INITIAL RELEASE.  MY GLOSSY WHITE SLEEVE IS WATER DAMAGED . BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER  WHAT WHITE SLEEVE YOU USE THE GLOSS WOULD NOT  SHOW UP DIGITALLY. I DON'T THINK SO.  I HOPE I DID NOT CONFUSE YOU MORE
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2009, 05:18:44 AM »

RED & WHITE TARGET
ORANGE CAP C

have a question though. the red/white target releases started in Jan. 1967. The dome-logo was still in use then (until 1969). Why using the C-logo then already on the company sleeve?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:16:19 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx