gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:51:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: www.beachboys45.nl  (Read 89716 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:07:53 AM »

Okay, I’m trying to get a grip on all re-issues on the Capitol Starline series. A lot of them are mentioned in Brad Elliott’s book, but that list -of course- stops at 1981. Doing a quick search on the world wide web (Ebay, Gemm, etc.) made me realise that it’s near impossible to get a good overview of all re-releases, not to mention what they look like. I’ve seen “white with red border”, beige/light-brown, blue, green, purple...

You get the idea: is there anyone out here that has a (near) complete list of all those Starline reissues (including it's label-colours)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:00:51 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 05:39:35 PM »

Okay, I’m trying to get a grip on all re-issues on the Capitol Starline series. A lot of them are mentioned in Brad Elliott’s book, but that list -of course- stops at 1981. Doing a quick search on the world wide web (Ebay, Gemm, etc.) made me realise that it’s near impossible to get a good overview of all re-releases, not to mention what they look like. I’ve seen “white with red border”, beige/light-brown, blue, green, purple...

You get the idea: is there anyone out here that has a (near) complete list of all those Starline reissues (including it's label-colours)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I've been able to determine this is what was issued with what label variations:

A-Side   B-Side   Starline Cat. #   Released   Green   Lime DJ   Red/Wht   Beige   Blue   Purple
1   Be True To Your School   In My Room   6059   8/30/1965   X       X   X      
2   Ten Little Indians   She Knows Me Too Well   6060   8/30/1965   X                   
3   Help Me, Rhonda   Do You Wanna Dance?   6081   7/11/1966   X       X   X   X   X
4   Surfin' U.S.A.   Shut Down   6094   10/24/1966   X       X   X   X   X
5   Surfin' Safari   409   6095   10/24/1966   X          X      X
6   Dance, Dance, Dance   The Warmth Of The Sun   6105   6/5/1967       X   X   X   X   
7   Fun, Fun, Fun   Why Do Fools Fall In Love   6106   6/5/1967       X   X   X      X
8   Surfer Girl   Little Deuce Couple   6107   6/5/1967       X   X   X, X(S)   X, X(S)   X
9   Good Vibrations   Barbara Ann   6132   12/29/1969           X           
10   When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)   She Knows Me Too Well   6204   5/13/1974               X   X   
11   Wendy   Little Honda   6205   5/13/1974               X       
12   Barbara Ann   Little Honda   6259   Jun-78               X      X
13   I Get Around   Don't Worry Baby   X-6280   Nov/Dec-81                   X   X
14   California Girls   Let Him Run Wild   X-6289   Nov/Dec-81                   X   X
15   Sloop John B.   You're So Good To Me   X-6295   Nov/Dec-81                   X   
16   Good Vibrations   Wouldn't It Be Nice   X-6330   1983                       X

The columns aren't lining up corrrectly, but the label variations are Green (Green Swirl), Lime DJ (Light Green Promo), Red/Wht (Red/White Target), Beige, Blue, Purple, Rainbow (and this is the order in which they were issued).

It seems there were only four issues following the period covering Brad's book - three of which must have come out right after Brad's cutoff of October 1981).

Let me know if you need any clarifications - or if anyone can verify any label variations I Don't have listed here let me know.

Oh, and the X(S) designation is for the version of Starline 6107 that has the binaural mix of "Surfer Girl" (as heard on the first issue of ENDLESS HARMONY).  It only appeared on beige and blue copies to my knowledge.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:44:35 PM by JeffRetro » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:37:36 PM »

Wow, this is more than a good start to begin with. Thanks Jeff! Especially for the label colours . I'll try to line out that list of yours.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
MBE
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:45:19 PM »

I have Purple starlines for I Get Around, Fun, Fun, Fun and, Be True To Your School. They all use the original 45 mixes. I think they came out between 1986-88.
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:14:41 PM »

I have Purple starlines for I Get Around, Fun, Fun, Fun and, Be True To Your School. They all use the original 45 mixes. I think they came out between 1986-88.

Thanks for the adds (the one I didn't have was a purple "Be True To Your School")

The trouble with posting the list here is that the data is in an  Excel spreadsheet, which doesn't translate into this format well.  If you want a copy of the actual spreadsheet PM me and I can send it.
MBE
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:56:32 AM »

My mistake it wasn't a purple Be True To Your School it was Little Saint Nick. It still had The Lord's Prayer on the flip.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 01:48:30 AM »

There are a bunch of Rainbow-label Starline 45s up on eBay right now: Surfin' Safari (6095), Barbara Ann (6259), I Get Around (6280), California Girls (6289), Sloop John B (6295) and Good Vibrations (6330). The one that REALLY surprised me, though, is Be True To Your School (6059). It's kinda buried in the ad, but there's no mistaking the label in the photo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250366920293

I never realized Capitol kept it in print that long!

Also, Jeff, I can't tell which label you're indicating for Sloop John B (6295). eBay has listings for copies on the Blue, Purple and Rainbow labels.

Finally, I can add that Good Vibrations b/w Barbara Ann (6132) exists on something other than the fairly common Red & White Target label.  Several years back, I was shown a Xerox of  a copy with a Beige/Tan label!  I was told it was owned by a collector on the West Coast.  I've looked under every stone I could find since then, but never seen nor even heard of another copy.  It's apparently rare as hen's teeth in that variation, but it does exist!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 10:49:39 AM »

NERRRRRDDDSSS!!!!  LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 12:02:32 PM »

Also, Jeff, I can't tell which label you're indicating for Sloop John B (6295). eBay has listings for copies on the Blue, Purple and Rainbow labels.

Finally, I can add that Good Vibrations b/w Barbara Ann (6132) exists on something other than the fairly common Red & White Target label.  Several years back, I was shown a Xerox of  a copy with a Beige/Tan label!  I was told it was owned by a collector on the West Coast.  I've looked under every stone I could find since then, but never seen nor even heard of another copy.  It's apparently rare as hen's teeth in that variation, but it does exist!

I'll do a longer post updating some stuff tomorrow - I'll bet Alex can't wait - but I found the purple "Sloop" on ebay and added it.

Also it's interesting that beige copies of GV/BA were pressed up; this would've had to be probably in the mid to late 70's, a time period during which Capitol didn't hold the rights to GV.  What may very well have happened here is that Capitol started receiving more orders for that particular single so they went ahead with a new pressing, not realizing the legal situation until after they had been manufactured.  I'll bet all known copies were destroyed, with only a few (like the one you saw the xerox of) surviving.  For a BB sompletist this could be a very valuable record.

Do you remember if it was the beige label with the Capitol "C" logo or the "Dome" logo?

Anway, I just got a ton of work dropped on me that's due tomorrow morning, so I'll post something more then.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 12:06:01 PM by JeffRetro » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 12:16:16 PM »

On a more serious note, I've got the Starline versions of the Best of the Beach Boys Vols. 1 and 2...both in duophonic!! The label on Vol. 1 has the 60's oval Capital logo and Vol. 2 has the newer "C" Capitol logo on it's label. Both of the records look too new to be from the 60s...they could be reissues, or the person I bought them from could've taken really good care of them/never listened to them.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »

Do you remember if it was the beige label with the Capitol "C" logo or the "Dome" logo?

To the best of my memory, it was the Capitol "C" logo, which would jibe with your theory about how it came to be.  If it had just been normal production that followed the change from the Red & White Target label to the Beige/Tan label, it should have been the "dome" logo, right?
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 10:37:29 PM »

I JUST JOINED. I THOUGHT I HAD A TRICK QUESTION  WHEN I TRIED TO REGISTER. WHAT COLOR IS THE SAME AS THE WORD. SOMETHING LIKE THAT.  I WAS STUMPED . I COULDN'T UNDERSTAND THE QUESTION.  I DID AFTER A MINUTE OR TWO. YIKES. WHAT AN AUSPICIOUS START. 
ANYWAY HERE'S THE LOWDOWN ON REISSUES. I HAVE ALL THE GREEN SWIRL/ RED &WHITE TARGET/TAN BROWN AVOCADO/
I AM MISSING 3 BLUE STARLINE.    I ONLY HAVE 5 RAINBOW STARLINE AND I HAVE ALL THE PURPLE I BOUGHT THEM ALL AS THEY CAME OUT. THE TAN BROWN LABEL WENT THRU A TRANSITION FROM THE WHITE CAPITOL C BACK TO THE CAPITOL DOME. I HAVE ON THE BROWN STARLINE THE SAME SONG WHICH STATES STEREO AND IT'S NOT AND SOME THAT STATE MONO.OF THAT SAME TRACK.  THERE'S AT LEAST 4 DIFFERENT LABEL VARIATIONS OF THE TAN BROWN STARLINE. I HAVE ALL 4 OF SURFIN USA DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS.  THE SURFER GIRL BLUE I HAVE ONE THAT STATES STEREO AND ONE THAT DOESN'T.  THERE'S ALSO THE COLLECTABLES SERIES THERE'S OVER 20 BB REISSUES ON THOSE. THERE'S ALSO TRIP LABEL REISSUES AND ORIGINAL SOUND REISSUES AND ONE SCEPTER.  I ALSO HAVE ALL THE REPRISE REISSUES. THERE'S ALSO ALL THOSE JUKEBOX ISSUES FROM CAPITOL.  I'VE SCANNED HALF OF MY STARLINES FROM YEARS PAST. I'LL BE POSTING THEM SOON ON YOUTUBE UNDER TOKENBEACHBOY54.   TOKENSURFER
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 02:13:57 AM »

Hello Tokensurfer, welcome on this board. And thanks for joining us for this specific question. Much appreciated.

So if I understand correctly, if I decide "to collect 'em all", I'm in for a treat...  Cheesy  (but I'm going to try anyway...) And I'll be checking YouTube, thanks for that as well.

Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 04:29:35 AM »

THE TAN BROWN LABEL WENT THRU A TRANSITION FROM THE WHITE CAPITOL C BACK TO THE CAPITOL DOME.

So the Beige/Tan labels with the Capitol "C" came before those with the Capitol dome?  I'd always assumed the opposite.

THERE'S AT LEAST 4 DIFFERENT LABEL VARIATIONS OF THE TAN BROWN STARLINE.

More details, please!  What are the differences?
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 01:21:53 PM »

My mistake it wasn't a purple Be True To Your School it was Little Saint Nick. It still had The Lord's Prayer on the flip.

i have a lsn/tlp on a blue capitol starline label

also a surfin usa/shut down on a rainbow starline label

can't tell from your chart but i have ba/lh on a blue and a beige starline label

also a hmr/dywd on a rainbow starline label

will check for other variations later....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:47:22 PM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »

OK HERE GOES AGAIN.  I'M GOING TO TRY AND POST THE SURFIN USA STARLINE IN THIS PHOTO SECTION THAT'S HERE. I HAVE 8 COPIES ON THE TAN BROWN AND AVOCADO LABEL. I AM GOING TO MAKE THIS REAL CONFUSING BECAUSE IT IS IN A WAY. I'VE  BEEN COLLECTING STARLINE LABEL SINCE THE EARLY 70'S THOUGH  I ONLY BOUGHT A HANDFUL OF RNBW STARLINES IN THE EARLY 80'S  THEN I BOUGHT THE WHOLE SERIES OF PURPLE STARLINES THERE ARE 11 PURPLE STARLINES. INCLUDING BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL TO GOOD VIBES/WOULDN;T IT BE NICE 6330 I THINK. I/M DOING  THE LABEL # FROM MEMORY .  I HAVE MULTIPLE COPIES OF EACH TITLE ON THE TAN BROWN AND AVOCADO SERIES.  IT HAD TO START IN '69. MURRY DID NOT SELL SEA OF TUNES TO IRVING PUB UNTIL  SOMETIME IN '70. I'M SURE SOMEONE MAY KNOW THE EXACT DATE.  I HAVE MANY SEA OF TUNES  AND SOME IRVING ON THE TAN BROWN SERIES.  ON SURFER  GIRL THERE'S  A CAPITOL DOME WITH SEA OF TUNES BUT THERE'S ALSO CAPITOL C WITH SEA OF TUNES AS WELL AS A CAPITOL DOME WITH IRVING  AND A WHITE C  WITH IRVING ON OTHER ONES..  ARE YOU MORE CONFUSED NOW THAN BEFORE.   THE SEA OF TUNES IS EASY  THAT HAS TO BE THE FIRST PRINTING THEN IRVING . BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO FIGURE OUT THE ORDER AFTER THAT.  IT STARTED IN '69 UNTIL '75 I'M GUESSIMATING.  I HAVE BARBARA ANN/LITTLE HONDA 6259 ON THE TAN LABEL WITH THE CAPITOL DOME JUST BEFORE THE BLUE STARLINE TOOK OVER. WENDY/LITTLE HONDA 6204 THEREFORE WAS ELIMINATED BEFORE THE BLUE STARLINE. REASONING THEY WEREN'T ABOUT TO USE LITTLE HONDA AS THE FLIP FOR BOTH BROWN AND BLUE STARLINES. OF COURSE SURFIN USA IS ARC AND SHUT DOWN IS SEA OF TUNES BUT I DID NOT FIND AN IRVING IN MY 8 COPIES UNFORTUNATELY.  I'M INTERESTED IN BEACH HEAD ACCOUNT OF BARBARA ANN/ GOOD VIBES BEING ON THE BROWN STARLINE 6132. DO YOU STILL HAVE THE XEROX PLEASE.  I JUST NEED TO SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT.  I'M TOTALLY SURPRISED BUT GLAD TO KNOW SOMEONE LIKE YOU  MAY HAVE SEEN ONE.  I HOPE YOU STILL HAVE THE PHOTOCOPY I'D LOVE TO SEE IT.  I HAVEN'T DICUSS THIS KINDA STUFF IN OVER A DECADE. I DIDN'T  THINK  ANY BB COLLECTORS REALLY CARED ABOUT REISSUES. AND MOST I KNOW DO NOT. BUT I'M GLAD THERE'S A FEW THAT DO.   IF I CAN LOOK FOR MY POST  WITH STARLINE LABELS IN THE PHOTO SECTION.  YES I DO HAVE A SOCIAL LIFE. BUT IT'S FUN TO GET BACK INTO AGAIN. WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER OUT BY UNRAVELLING WHAT IS AND WHAT ISN'T.  TOKENSURFER
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 11:09:12 PM »

I'LL SEE I F I CAN POST THESE PHOTOS. I GUESS NOT THEY WERE TOO LARGE.  IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING AS ROSANNA ANNA DANA USED TO SAY.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 11:16:48 PM by TOKENSURFER » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 03:24:17 AM »

Thanks fro trying. There's a 120KB limit for attachments.

But what you can do is to use a uploadservice on the internet. There's a whole bunch of them.
http://tinypic.com/
http://photobucket.com/
http://imageshack.us/
etc etc.

If you upload a picture, you'll receive a url or img-code. Just copy and paste onto this topic.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 03:27:13 AM »

I HAVEN'T DICUSS THIS KINDA STUFF IN OVER A DECADE. I DIDN'T  THINK  ANY BB COLLECTORS REALLY CARED ABOUT REISSUES. AND MOST I KNOW DO NOT. BUT I'M GLAD THERE'S A FEW THAT DO.   IF I CAN LOOK FOR MY POST  WITH STARLINE LABELS IN THE PHOTO SECTION.  YES I DO HAVE A SOCIAL LIFE. BUT IT'S FUN TO GET BACK INTO AGAIN. WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER OUT BY UNRAVELLING WHAT IS AND WHAT ISN'T.  TOKENSURFER

O, I do. Exactly the reason why I started this topic: to get a better idea of what's out there.

Btw, I'll move this topic to the media section and merge both topics into one.

Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 06:51:23 AM »

I'M INTERESTED IN BEACH HEAD ACCOUNT OF BARBARA ANN/ GOOD VIBES BEING ON THE BROWN STARLINE 6132. DO YOU STILL HAVE THE XEROX PLEASE.  I JUST NEED TO SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT.  I'M TOTALLY SURPRISED BUT GLAD TO KNOW SOMEONE LIKE YOU  MAY HAVE SEEN ONE.  I HOPE YOU STILL HAVE THE PHOTOCOPY I'D LOVE TO SEE IT.

Sorry, but I never actually had the photocopy; another collector did and showed it to me. I'll contact him and see if he still has it. If he does, I'll ask about getting a copy and posting it.
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 05:51:09 PM »

THAT WOULD BE GREAT BEACHHEAD IF YOU COULD GET THAT PHOTO. YOU SURE GOT MY ATTENTION WITH THAT ONE.
I MADE A GOOF. IT'S 6205 WENDY/LITTLE HONDA. THE BEATLE COLLECTORS ARE WAY AHEAD OF US BB COLLECTORS IN LABEL REISSUE DEPARTMENT. SO IF WE CAN START POSTING.  IKNOW WHAT I AM MISSING AS FAR AS THAT BROWN  BEIGE TAN STARLINE.
HELP ME R 6081 SEA OF TUNES  (I HAVE THE IRVING)
6094 SHUT DOWN IRVING (10 COPIES ALL SEA OF TUNES)
I'LL GET BACK TO THIS LATER. I'LL TRY A ND POST MY LABELS UP  AGAIN.
COULD STEVE MAYO PLEASE POST THE RAINBOW STARLINE S UP. THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL.  IF WE CAN ALL GET TOGETHER AND POST  THE BLUE BROWN AND RAINBOW. THAT WOULD BE GREAT.  I HAVE ALL 11 PURPLE STARLINES AND MOST OF THE BLUE BUT MISSING VARIATIONS ON BOTH BROWN AND BLUE.
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 03:36:06 AM »

HERE I GO AGAIN MAKING ERRORS IN WHAT I HAVE.  WELL SMILE HOLLAND. HAS GOT ME GOING THRU MY ARCHIVES OF REISSUE LABELS ON MY COMPUTER. I HAVE 4 COMPUTERS.  AND I AM TRYING TO CONSOLIDATE THEM ALL. BUT I'M FINDING STUFF IN THE STRANGEST PLACES. I WASN'T THAT COMPUTER SAVVY WHEN I FIRST STARTED 10 YRS AGO. AS FAR AS WHERE TO PUT INFO AND THEN THE ABILITY TO PUT PHOTOS  ON WAS ABOUT 8 YRS AGO FOR ME.  AND I  WAS NOT VERY ORGANIZED. SO HERE IS ONE PHOTO I HOPE TO PUT ON . THE ONE PHOTO I THOUGHT I DIDN'T HAVE  BUT  EVIDENTLY  I DO. I HOPE THIS WORKS
HELP ME RONDA SEA OF TUNES

TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 03:50:33 AM »

O JOY I DID IT  I JUST WISH IT WAS BIGGER BUT YOU GUYS CAN SAVE IT I GUESS AND MAKE IT BIGGER. WHATEVER THE COMPUTER LINGO IS. I/M JUST LUCKY TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS. HERE'S SOME MORE. ARE THERE ANY OTHER JUKEBOX ISSUES OTHER THAN THE XMAS ONES.

TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 03:58:03 AM »

HERE'S SOME COLLECTABLES REISSUES. THESE ARE SMALLER FILES. THE OTHERS I HAVE ARE TOO BIG

TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 04:04:42 AM »

OK THEN BEACH HEAD AND SMILE HOLLAND. I CAN SEND YOU THE SURFIN USA  BROWN STARLINE  ALL THE  4 VARIATIONS I HAVE . TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA IF YOU LIKE TO YOUR EMAIL..  THEY ARE 250 K EACH.  TOKENSURFER
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx