gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680814 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:33:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All-new Brian Interview  (Read 9699 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2005, 02:04:56 PM »

From the Sun in England:

Brian's good vibrations

By SIMON ROTHSTEIN
Sun Online

FORMER Beach Boy Brian Wilson is a music legend responsible for some of the greatest songs of all time, including Good Vibrations, Wouldn’t It Be Nice and California Girls.

After taking a sporadic career break due to ill health brought on by heavy drug use, Brian triumphantly returned to form last year with Grammy Award winning ‘lost’ album Smile – which he premiered live in London.

Here Brian, 63, tells us about his forthcoming rock ‘n’ roll record, unique fundraising effort for Hurricane Katrina, bizarre duet with Paul McCartney and reveals that he’s a big fan of Jesus Christ’s vibrations.

What are your memories of being in the Beach Boys?

I remember us having a lot of laughs and good times in the studio.

Listening to the old songs puts me in a good mood – a nostalgic, sentimental mood. California Girls is my favourite Beach Boys song.

But I probably won’t ever play with (remaining members) Mike Love or Al Jardine again.

What songs are on your new festive album - What I Really Want For Christmas?

My Christmas album has traditional carols, Beach Boys songs and Brian Wilson songs.

My favourite ever festive song is White Christmas by Bing Crosby. It’s not something I’ve ever sung myself – but I’d like to.

How will you be spending the holidays and what’s on your Christmas list?

I am spending Christmas hanging out at home with my wife and children.

I would like a pair of shoes for Christmas.

Are you religious?

I’m not religious, but I’ve always liked Jesus Christ.

I like what Jesus Christ stood for and what his vibrations were all about.

What is the next musical project you have lined up?

We might make a rock ‘n’ roll album next year – although I have no idea when we will release it.

Rock ‘n’ roll is music brought to a height of excitement and exuberance.

My album would be more 1960’s rock ‘n’ roll, like Phil Spector, than 1950’s Elvis style.

There are a couple of songs I am writing, although I don’t have any words yet. I will be doing all the music and lyrics.

It will be me and my back up band playing the songs on the record.

Many musicians cite you as a major influence, but which new bands are you a fan of?

The Magic Numbers are a great group. They are the best band of the last 10 years. It makes me feel great that they are influenced by me.

I also like Green Day and Oasis.

I don’t listen to much music these days though.

Who would you most like to record a duet with?

There are no new artists I would like to do a duet with, but I’d love to do something with Paul McCartney.

He chewed a carrot up while we were recording Vega-Tables for Smile – and that appears on the record.

I also worked with Paul on a song called A Friend Like You.

We’re both big fans of each other. He said Pet Sounds is his favourite album and mine is Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

It’s such a great record, because there are so many different types of song on it. Nothing has touched it since.

You were personally touched by the Hurricane Katrina disaster in New Orleans – what did you do to help?

We asked people on my website to make a $100 donation or more and in reward for that I would give them a personal phone call.

I would call, thank them for their donation and then they would maybe ask me a question. When they heard my voice they were very surprised.

I phoned many, many people – we raised $210,000!

I was asked all kinds of strange questions – mainly about The Beach Boys and Smile.

I am very proud of what we achieved.

We felt very in tune with the Katrina disaster and wanted to help, even though I don’t know anyone personally who suffered.

What was it like meeting the Queen when you played her Golden Jubilee concert and what did she say to you?

It was quite an honour meeting the Queen – she told me she likes The Beach Boys music!

That was a special thing, but it’s nice to hear from any fan regardless of their social rank.

How important is the city of London to you?

London means a lot to me, it’s like my second home. I feel very at home in London and the people are nice.

In February 2004 people there loved Smile and received it with standing ovations.

I chose London to debut Smile because I respect the people of London’s opinions and musical tastes.

What made you decide to release Smile so long after you first wrote it?

My wife and I decided it was finally time for people to hear Smile.

Before then we didn’t think it was ready. We thought it was too far ahead of its time.

There was a change in my life and I was ready for it.

Completing Smile lifted a weight from my mind. It was a great relief when we finally finished it.

I think it’s a better record for waiting. We created a third movement for it, so it became a three movement rock opera.

A teenage symphony to God we call it.

I won’t be making another concept album like Smile – we just did that the one time. We’re also through with releasing old songs and I won’t play a complete album live again.

How are you feeling health-wise now?

My health is about average – I’m not in real good shape or real bad shape, I’m in real medium shape.

Can you describe a typical day in the life of Brian Wilson? Are you still writing music?

I’ll exercise, play the piano, play with my kids, eat and sit around and think.

Every couple of weeks I get a melody or something started.

I’m having trouble completing songs – but I’ll get them finished.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 02:33:45 PM »

Funny how Brian likes Oasis, when Noel Gallagher has gone on record as having despised Brian's music.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 03:33:36 PM »

My favourite ever festive song is White Christmas by Bing Crosby. It’s not something I’ve ever sung myself – but I’d like to.

Ummmmmm... think someone needs to show him a copy of The Beach Boys Christmas Album. Side two, track four.  Undecided

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 03:38:37 PM »

The Magic Numbers are a great group. They are the best band of the last 10 years. It makes me feel great that they are influenced by me.

Sweet.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 05:10:57 PM »

One of my favorite sources of comedy is Brian Wilson interviews. 

-  The aforementioned fact that Brian actually has sang, produced, released, and likely received decades of royalties for his performance of White Christmas, lol. 

-  I love how Brian answers questions the interviewer didn't even ask.  It's like he knows what the guy's thinking and just wants to get it the hell out of the way.  At the end, he goes "I won't make another album like Smile.  Also; I won't release anymore songs... Also, I won't do another complete album live again" when the guy didn't ask him any of that!

- I like how he puts the disclaimer that he likes all fans 'regardless of social class'.  LOL that's a real weight off my chest! 

- He would like a pair of shoes for Christmas.  That's hilarious, and I don't know why. 

- and my FAVORITE PART of the interview, is how he says his Rock & Roll album will be more like, you know, 60's rock, not 50's elvis rock (as if those are the only two choices).  He's of course right. 
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 06:04:57 PM »

I took that as a reference to the 50's-style that pervaded GIOMH.

I love Brian's interviews. They are low in cholesteral, that's for sure.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 11:27:48 PM »

I don't believe for a single second he's ever put on a Green Day or Oasis album. If he did he'd sure run away from it. He's my Grandma's age, she was as hip to cool music in her day as he was. She doesn't understand, or care to listen to any form of modern music.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
forgetemarie
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 11:43:26 PM »

He probably tries to listen to at least some of the things recommended to him.  It's hard for anyone to keep up these days, with the way radio has gone.  Sure, there's satellite, but it almost has too many channels.  Brian gets things "laid on him" by his buds, I'm sure.  Some he will like and remember more than others, and he probably doesn't want to seem out of the loop.  The artists he mentioned are very accessible.  I could see Brian enjoying a song such as "Boulevard of Broken Dreams."
SurferGirl7
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 07:05:50 AM »

What a great interview  :D

Glad to know he likes Jesus vibrations  Grin
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 07:44:23 AM »

Yeah, I imagine he "might" like some stuff off the AI album by Green Day.  A lot of it has a rather warm and wide production feel to it.  I don't know. 

Someone ask Bluebird if Brian likes it.  Bubba Ho Tep is Bluebird's sane counterpart.   Tongue

Feh.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 09:11:25 AM »

I agree that Brian is just name dropping the most popular groups he can because he's somewhat out-of-the-loop. Even though he's one of the biggest names in Pop Culture, he's spent the last 40 years obsessing over a single Phi lSpector production, most liklely missing out on years worth of new music. I suppose the new music he'd dislike the most would be the artists that tap into his stream and sound like lesser-Beach Boys. Maybe he likes "Toxic" by Britney.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 10:21:43 AM »

Why make that assumption? He has shared the stage with two of the names he cited, and if he was just naming current popular bands, Oasis would probably be way down the list. I don't understand why this is so hard to accept at face value.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
David C.
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 10:41:07 AM »

"I don't listen to much music these days". Ok this always bugs me. Streisand is another one. Two incredibly huge MUSICIANS and they don't listen to music? I suppose it's more thrilling to watch the news? Shouldn't he go back and read where he talks about how much he listens to Nat Cole, or Rosemary Clooney? How the heck can people change their minds every next day? Yeh, I love the man, but who's quirkier???
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 10:58:33 AM »

Trust me -- if you do something as your job, the last thing you want to do when you get home is do more of that job. Just because Brian makes his living from music doesn't mean that he should be devoting every second of his life to it. My job is working with words -- it can be really tough to do recreational reading after spending the day at the office copy-editing.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 11:10:37 AM »

I'm in real medium shape.  Somehow, that just doesn't have the ring of I'm in Great Shape!! lol!
David C.
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 11:27:43 AM »

C'mon Clay....we're talkin "listening" to music. I rarely meet musicians who don't. All the more do they need it as a huge part of their lives. And its not about his music anyway. Furthermore, when the heck was the last time Brian wrote anything? (2 pieces from early this yr?)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 11:50:04 AM »

I don't think Brian'd run a mile from Oasis (well, their songs, anyhow). It's a ten a penny stuff sounding like songs he probably remembers hearing bar bands play in the 70s!  Grin
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 02:17:01 AM »

By the way, wasn´t Brian at a Coldplay-concert a few months ago?

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2005, 09:07:01 AM »

Who are we to say what Brian can and can not listen to? How do we know that he doesn't really listen to Green Day or Oasis? Not everyone over 50 doesn't listen to modern music you know.
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2005, 09:41:27 AM »

Brian can listen to anything he wants. But if Oasis ever does a version of "Be my Baby", look out!

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2005, 10:36:00 AM »

Not everyone over 50 doesn't listen to modern music you know.

Just Brian, according to damn near every other interview he's given the past 10 years or so.

Oh, and the bulk of people on BB message boards. Every time anyone brings up a new artist (or -- GOD FORBID! -- hip hop), dozens of "nobody makes good music anymore" posts pop up. It's all nostalgia...boring.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
David C.
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005, 12:53:56 PM »

Hey Luther I resemble that remark Grin
forgetemarie
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2005, 01:50:17 PM »

If  you're not so young anymore, you don't have to keep up with what young people are doing.  Or like it if you try.  The youngsters now will get older and they'll be the same way.  Besides, if you've been around awhile, you've already heard it.  I can't get excited about a lot of music because it's been done.  For someone like Brian, it's been done even longer.  Nothing new under the sun, really.   

As for hip-hop, some people have problems with the fact that some artists don't even make new music, but sample old music.  Then, there are others that don't like the misogyny expressed in much of it.  Or the sheer hostility and violence.  If you had to deal with the people that grow up in the neighborhoods where some of these things are really going on, you might understand the anger towards the glorification of thug life.  It's not only a reflection, it's encouragement.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2005, 03:35:53 PM »

I think a person has a right to ignore anything.

I think a person has a right to dislike anything he's heard.

I think a person has no right to dislike anything he's ignore, and thus not heard.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
mike thornton
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2005, 11:05:34 AM »

brian listens to some newer music. so what?  Roll Eyes

that being said, brian on "white christmas" was priceless. one of his best leads...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx