gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:14:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Add Some Music To Your Day : Analyzing and Enjoying the Music of the Beach Boys
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 4 (50%)
3 - 4 (50%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Add Some Music To Your Day : Analyzing and Enjoying the Music of the Beach Boys  (Read 10273 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2005, 05:58:31 PM »

Discuss, rate and review Add Some Music To Your Day : Analyzing and Enjoying the Music of the Beach Boys, released December 20, 1999.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 11:44:35 AM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 09:59:48 AM »

It's a time capsule of the BB fan world in the early 80's -- reprints of articles and reviews published in that time period.   That alone makes it interesting.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 06:11:11 AM »

I quite enjoy this book. There are some articles that analyze specific older BB songs, or discuss other general topics. But I actually found the contemporary articles about live shows and releases of that time (1978-1984 I believe, although most of the articles seem to cover more like 1979 or 1980 to 1983) to be the most interesting. I think there is even a review from Andrew G. Doe of a BB show from 1980.

If you've ever been interested in that strange time in 1981-82 when Carl left the band, there are several articles on that period, including a very interesting interview with Carl during his departure. There are also some good pics from that period as well, including what I believe are the last two publicity photos of the six-member group taken, one in 1982 and another in 1983.

I think reviews of most of what the BB's put out during this time period are included, and it's interesting to read contemporary reviews of stuff like Mike and Carl's solo albums, the KTSA album, and the "Rock and Roll City" compilation.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 09:35:55 AM »

Just thinking of picking up another book and it sounded interesting.  I already have both "Wouldn't it be Nice?" books and was looking for less of a biography and something more interesting about the band.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 09:35:02 AM »

It’s okay. I wasn’t knocked out over it and didn’t find many of the pieces that entertaining. Eh.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 09:23:51 AM »

it's interesting....it's before the internet message boards, kinda time capsule. some interesting articles on brian's music being child like, discussing the different bits in his music. articles about recent tours are interesting...and some articles just about Dennis or Al.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MBE
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 06:57:19 AM »

I wish more news items that I have read from back then had been in there. I think a cool letter from Murry to Brian Gari should have made it too. He talks about why Marks left saying he wasn't professional in his attitude. Cool book but for someone who doesn't play the music is over analysed in technical terms.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:27:51 PM by MBE » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx