gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:09:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All TLOS bonus tracks ...  (Read 8878 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 02:01:59 PM »

If you're on a Mac, get yourself Audio Hijack Pro.... very good.

I'd recommend WireTap Pro over AHP on the Mac.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 03:27:06 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 03:14:47 PM »

Speaking of anachronistic synth sounds, did anybody else notice that at the end of the line "a reason to live, to live, to live..." in Oxygen to the Brain, there is what sounds like some sort of old sampler being employed - the harmonies behind the lead vocal are being pitch shifted deliberately, sort of sounds like an old E-MU Sampler

- B00ts
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 11:35:31 PM »

It's this wonderful combination of Love You style lyrics, odd 80s instrumental touches (that synth break!) and a Today-era chorus.

Just astonishing as a creation, and far more ambitious than many of the actual TLOS songs.

And the best part is: these days this is probably as close to a "pure" Brian song as it gets and it's nowhere near as insipid and uninspired as most of the stuff we got to hear on GIOMH. On the contrary, it sounds very spirited and presentable. This just seems like an honest glimpse into the world of BW writing songs that "went number one in his living room".
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 06:01:56 AM »

If you're using a PC and Firefox then get the Downloadhelper add-on, then it's very easy to download the MP3.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 06:12:39 AM »

If you're using a PC and Firefox then get the Downloadhelper add-on, then it's very easy to download the MP3.

Okiedokie, cheers for that!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 06:26:07 AM »

I want a whole album in the style of Message Man. I love it. The most complete BW since Love You.

I like the spoken word bits but I wonder what it would have sounded like with VDP narrating them? Better perhaps? Camper, certainly.
Weezer12
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 01:25:50 PM »

I know there's a very special "flow" to "TLOS," but has anyone attempted to construct a new tracklist using these bonus tracks?
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 02:35:38 PM »

1. Midnight's another day
2. Just like me and you
3. Good kind of love
4. Going Home
5. What love can do
6. Live let live
7. Message man
8. Southern California

Brian should hire me to be his Teo Macero.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 03:55:49 PM »

Brian should hire me to be his Teo Macero.  Smiley

Yeah, cool.  Splice his little ideas together and make them into songs.
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2009, 08:56:14 AM »

It's this wonderful combination of Love You style lyrics, odd 80s instrumental touches (that synth break!) and a Today-era chorus.

Just astonishing as a creation, and far more ambitious than many of the actual TLOS songs.

And the best part is: these days this is probably as close to a "pure" Brian song as it gets and it's nowhere near as insipid and uninspired as most of the stuff we got to hear on GIOMH. On the contrary, it sounds very spirited and presentable. This just seems like an honest glimpse into the world of BW writing songs that "went number one in his living room".

Is this a collaboration with Scott Bennett or a wholly Brian song?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2009, 10:13:46 AM »

According to the BMI publishing database, both Oh Mi Amor and Message Man are credited to Brian alone. (Scott shows up on the TLOS tunes he co-wrote.) I can't find a listing for JLMaY.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2009, 12:40:07 PM »

LOVE THESE.

Message Man seems to pick up on a kernel of an idea from "Market Place", but is a MUCH more interesting song.

More proof that Brian still has it, even if he doesn't particularly want to use it that often.  Smiley

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 11:54:51 AM »

Message Man is great..

I wish Brian had the confidence in his own work to put something like Message Man on an actual album, not just an 'exclusive bonus track', but the time for that is past methinks..

Brian should've put "Marketplace" on the album..."Message Man" was just a re-write of that song. Whenever I listen to "Message Man", I always want to sing "message man, message man, buy some bananas and apricots, lox and cream cheese, can I take your order please". LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
sofonanm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 12:00:52 PM »

What's the deal with Just Like Me And You? A Brian Wilson original? I like it a lot more than Message Man. It actually sounds like something Brian would've done around 1965-1966. And why, on that website, does it show up as TLOS when clicked and played? It's confusing.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:02:22 PM by sofonanm » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2009, 12:18:25 PM »

It's criminal that Message Man and Just Like Me & You are bonus cuts isn't it? They're better than 80% of the rest of TLOS imo and Message Man is one of my favourite Brian songs since BW88. It just lifts you right up whatever mood you happen to be in. What I love about these two bonus cuts is there's something very Brian about them, and to my ears they both prove that he's capable of writing songs easily as good as anything he's written since BW88. I just can't understand why they weren't saved for a proper album but that's nothing to moan about I guess. I just hope there is more of these loose, natural type of Brian songs to come.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2009, 01:46:28 PM »

Message Man is many things, but a rewrite of Marketplace isn't one of them. It uses the general feel of the opening "Marketplace - Marketplace" line, but I can't see much else in the newer tune that resembles the older.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:28:56 PM by claymcc » Logged
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2009, 02:43:01 PM »

Did I read somewhere that Danny Hutton did the backing vox on Message Man?  They sound fantastic, great compliment to Brian's voice.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2009, 10:08:08 PM »

You did, that's Danny Hutton of Three Dog Night (AKA Redwood) on background vocals for "Message Man."
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 10:23:27 PM »

Hanging out with Danny Hutton...  Afro
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 10:29:42 PM »

I'm fairly sure it's Brian and Danny (and possibly Scott) together. I think I hear Danny on the "surrender to love" bits.
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2009, 07:53:16 AM »

For some reason I got hooked on "I'm into Something Good" w Carole King, a very simple but pleasing pop-song! Could have fit on American Spring maybe ?
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2009, 01:36:35 PM »

I recall that after Brian had debuted TLOS in the UK and before he went into the studio in LA to record it was reported that he had written some new songs that he wanted to add to the suite but was convinced by "others" not to do so. Is it known if any of these bonus cuts were those new songs?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2009, 02:03:23 PM »

Good question. I remember hearing about "Message Man" awhile ago. Who cares, I want Pleasure Island damn it!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2009, 05:19:43 AM »

Wasn't Message Man called Beatle Man at one point? This possibility makes me think the song is about Paul McCartney but I may have got my facts mixed up here.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2009, 08:32:08 AM »

Wasn't Message Man called Beatle Man at one point? This possibility makes me think the song is about Paul McCartney but I may have got my facts mixed up here.

Yeah I got that vibe too.. I also wondered if it was about himself during his heyday (1965-66)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx