gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:04:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Postcard From California - First listen impressions  (Read 5926 times)
Paulos
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 09:18:09 AM »

I listened to Al's album for the first time last night and I was fairly impressed although I will need to give it a few more listens to digest it properly, the only thing I'm sure of from first listen is that he should have left Help Me Rhonda well alone but Don't Fight The Sea is just great, well done Alan!
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 10:22:16 AM »

"Don't Fight The Sea" is my instant favorite right off the album right off the bat. I'm usually not a fan of albums with too many guests (Santana anyone?) but the guest appearances on 'Postcard...' are tasteful and well-rounded.

Nice one, Al.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 10:26:32 AM »

Al did a nice job with this album.

Some of it is too cute for school, but mostly it's a warm, organic sounding collection of remakes and familiar-sounding originals. The guests are generally well integrated, and the after-the-fact BB reunion quite touching.

I find myself wishing that Brian's albums sounded this pleasant, production-wise. (Not arrangement, but the actual vocal and instrumental sound.)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »

I like it, on the whole, though I wish we had California Dreamin' and maybe another song he'd intended doing with the BB but never got around to.  Anyone know what else was recorded? Crumple Car?  Santa Ana Winds?
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 11:30:19 AM »

The liners show Flea playing trumpet in one of the pictures, but he is not listed in the credits.  Does anyone know if he did play trumpet on any of the tracks?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2010, 06:15:24 PM »

It's no longer my first listen: I bought it off iTunes and am on the third or so, though not straight through. And this is as good as could be expected from Al. The production is a pleasant surprise, after some of the things the previews over the years showed. It's mostly nice. Al's voice, ditto. A bit of cheese, sure, and the man is in love with sound effects and little quirks to an extent I'll never quite understand, but all in all, it's enjoyable. It's the kind of album I'd give three out of five stars, and not as an insult. Pleasant.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2010, 10:02:37 AM »

First impression.....Al's voice is very strong. Great singing. Smooth backing harmonies. Good production. Solid, professional recording. Didn't care for the silly sound effects or pointless remakes of old classics.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx