gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 03:10:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1999--2009  (Read 14434 times)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 07:53:49 AM »

Coming late to this thread, but I'd like to include The National and The Broken West as two of my favorites from this decade.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 09:25:34 AM »

The new St. Vincent album (Actor) is very good.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 12:48:10 PM »

I definitely am, which is why I'm asking. My music collection sort of drops off after 98 or so, reasons being that my life got in the way and then I moved to Europe and was effectively cut off from popular culture for long time...but I want to hear new, good music.
So thank you Alex. Some of those artists I know, but I'll see if I can't get my virtual hands on some of the others.

Haha, yes. I wanted to fill in: 'Mercury Rev', and 'The Flaming Lips', and 'Massive Attack', until I realized that.... ah, you'll know what I mean.

I love the Flaming Lips! The Soft Bulletin has got to be one of the top 5 best albums of the '90s!! The only reason I didn't put 'em on my list is because they were around waayyy before '99.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 02:13:47 PM »

Since the 90s?  That is a short list for me.

I can only think of Neko Case.....Joan Osborne, and , well, mostly female artists who have emerged in the last 15 to 20 years.   

Frankly the old guys (and gals) are still putting out such good stuff that I haven't bothered trying to acquire a taste for stuff written by people half my age.   Their subject matter is stuff of my past.  I'd rather hear Ray Davies or Dylan express their thoughts in music.  That stuff I can relate to.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »

I can only think of Neko Case.....Joan Osborne, and , well, mostly female artists who have emerged in the last 15 to 20 years.   

Frankly the old guys (and gals) are still putting out such good stuff that I haven't bothered trying to acquire a taste for stuff written by people half my age.   Their subject matter is stuff of my past.  I'd rather hear Ray Davies or Dylan express their thoughts in music.  That stuff I can relate to.

I really appreciate that sentiment from people who say it--much like you do here--without being condescending about new music. There is nothing wrong with people not bothering with newer pop. By the same token, there is nothing wrong with younger people getting absorbed into their own music without getting into the worship of "their elders." I think both are wholly natural and valid.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 12:53:32 PM »

I can only think of Neko Case....

Neko Case...ahhhh...that voice...that firey red hair...[drool...]  Razz Razz Grin Grin Grin

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 12:21:38 PM »

How about the new Neko album?   Good but didn't knock my socks off like Fox Confessor.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 12:02:39 PM »

How about the new Neko album?   Good but didn't knock my socks off like Fox Confessor.

Haven't heard it yet. The only Neko album I've heard in its entirety is her first one, The Virginian. I love "Thanks a Lot", "Bowling Green", "Karoline", and especially "Honky Tonk Hiccups". Catchy as hell!

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 06:50:14 AM »

I really like Wheatus.  They have a pretty normal indie story.  A moderate hit in the late 90s but then became disenfranchised with the industry and now records and releases all of their stuff themselves.  The frist two albums are pretty average (but still catchy and likable) retro-pop but I really like their last full album Too Soon Monsoon.  They put on a great live show and are supposed to be releasing a series of EPs through their website this summer.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 05:37:26 PM »

I know it's against the spirit of the thread, and I know I tend to champion new music as much as anyone on the board. But I can't help but note that two dinosaurs have been among the most consistently brilliant pop artists in this 1999-2009 decade: Bob Dylan and Tom Waits. I was just checking Waits' Letterman and other appearances on youtube and was reminded.

Fuckin' brilliant. Both of them. There is a ton of great, wholly enjoyable music from newer artists in that decade. I write about them all the time. But really ... those two are near the top.

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2009, 02:33:54 PM »

I thought of someone else for this thread:  Ben Kweller.  Check out his album Sha Sha, I really like that one
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2009, 08:06:50 PM »

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, although plenty of their music was pre 1999. So let's say GZM and Euros Childs. It's hard to imagine people who like the BBs (especially quirky mid 70s BW stuff) not loving them.

Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2009, 11:05:50 AM »

Kasabian*
The Libertines/Babyshambles/Pete Doherty (I just group them all together really..)
Bloc Party
The Strokes (one great album, but that debut was all they needed)
Arctic Monkeys ("fun" debut album, not sure about the rest..)
The Horrors (rubbish 1st album great 2nd album)

That's all I can think of, I'm sure there are a few others but I'm stretching it as it is. 

*I know what you are going to say my fellow Beach Boys fans, but rest assured they were being stupid kids and the band name shouldn't put you off who I think are the top Rock n' Roll band at the moment.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2009, 02:57:29 PM »

Do you know what I think is fun? (And I mean this honestly and literally: no sarcasm.) When a list of favorites is almost entirely the opposite of what I would say. That Sciencefriction list is one of those--I am at best ambivalent about, but mostly actively dislike every one of those bands. Really, as long as people are listening to music--and especially new music--it's fine by me.

Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2009, 06:40:09 PM »

Haha, interesting Luthor, but you put it nicely and I appreciate that.  It's hard for me to list new bands, and to be honest with the only bands in that list I really like are Kasabian and Pete Doherty.  Most people seem to dislike both, but it doesn't bother me. 

Does Pinback count?  I can't recall, but certainly System's Officer does?  That was a great EP.  Fleet Foxes and Patrick Wolf are also interesting, but nothing I listen to much.  Oh, and The Veils recent album was okay too.  This last one is cheating, but Bad Lieutenant is something I'm looking foward to.  It's the newest project by the remaining members of New Order (Hooky quit!).  Smiley
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2009, 04:15:28 AM »

Since 1999:

The Fence Collective (e.g. James Yorkston, The Aliens, King Creosote, Lone Pigeon)
Animal Collective
Fleet Foxes
Burial
Antony & The Johnsons
Fiery Furnaces
Clinic

Little bit earlier:

Lambchop
Matmos
Bonnie Prince Billy
Mercury Rev
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2009, 04:30:47 AM »

Dr. Dog

They have great Harmonies and are very Beatle-esque. Plus their onstage energy ROCKS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b2-KNH5EWM&feature=related   "My Old Ways"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP7kk21HYsw&feature=related    "Keep A Friend"

Check these out!

Bri
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2009, 03:10:09 PM »

I've listened on and off to Dr. Dog since Easy Beat. You're right that they're a natural for Beatles fans. I always feel a little let down in that I think they sound better than they write. The music isn't similar, but to me they are like Wondermints in that regard. Good arrangements, great performances, but I never get into the songs themselves much. I know others disagree, though, and our local public radio station (which skews heavily toward indie pop and rock) really backs them.

Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2009, 04:34:05 AM »

I agree Luther, to me it's their "Energy" which comes across much stronger than the actual music.
Their main selling point is their Enthusiasm as they play the songs. Good band......but not a Great band.

Bri
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2009, 06:42:50 AM »

Since 1999:

Fiery Furnaces

I hadn't noticed this, but now am glad to see it. They are, to me, a little like Zappa in that they've released just a TON of material (quite a few albums, but more than that, a ton of content on each one) and a substantial portion of it misses the mark with me. But some of it is just fuckin' brilliant. For me, Blueberry Boat, EP and Rehearsing My Choir was a trio of near-masterpieces. I'm looking forward to their next one, scheduled to be out in a couple weeks.

Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »

I was just flipping threw the pages again and I noticed you mentioned St. Vincent Luthor, I agree her new album is very good.  I'm debating whether or not to drive 2 hours to see her with Andrew Bird in Columbus, or just to see her in Cleveland.  I like Andrew Bird, but I'm not sure how long of a set St. Vincent will get w/Bird.  I'm also getting into Paul Banks solo album, but still not sure about how much I like Interpol.  I think I would probably buy a greatest hits by them in the future.  Does Pinback count?  If not then Systems Officer who I love.  I can't wait to hear his new album in September!  Also, I quite like S PRCSS and hope something new appears from them eventually.  This is all.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 07:13:53 PM by Sciencefriction » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2009, 07:42:08 PM »

Two hours for that show? Yikes. Glad I live in Minneapolis, where my trip to such shows is usually 10-15 minutes. If it were me, I wouldn't go that far to see the Bird/St. V show. But that depends on what, if anything, is closer to you.

Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2009, 08:28:50 PM »

That's not the worst, trust me.  It's an hour to go see St. Vincent be herself, so I might do that.  I'm looking at going to a couple of gigs that are going to be around 3 and 6 hour drives respectively.  I always end up living in places where I have to travel for live music!  I like St. V more than Bird, so I'm not sure if I really want to see Bird that bad.  It's a little less than half the price to see St. V by herself too.  Hmm..
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2009, 08:32:59 PM »

To see Bird, just come here to Mpls. He's wandering around Uptown all the damn time, as he records here quite a bit. He's here constantly.

Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2009, 08:55:49 PM »

Haha, I would if I could but it's a 13 hour drive.  He really wonders all the time?  Huh.  I see that his last album charted really well and that's a surprise.  At least he's more enjoyable that most "indie" music that gets thrown my way.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx