gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:55:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who wrote Holy Man?  (Read 4240 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:59:57 PM »

I know that Dennis probably wrote and/or arranged the melody, but what about the lyrics? Did any lyrics exist when Carl recorded a rough guide vocal?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 12:22:55 AM »

Gregg Jakobson wrote the lyrics but they're of recent vintage according to the man himself - I don't know if lyrics existed in '75 when it was tracked. For some reason Taylor Hawkins got a credit, perhaps Mr. Stebbins or Mr. Roach can enlighten us.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 12:30:43 AM »

I was wondering if Taylor Hawkins wrote any of the lyrics. Do you think anybody would have "allowed" him to, considering the background on who it was, and the historical significance of it?

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:37:23 AM »

Well Jakobson has said that the only lyrics that existed back then were "holy man can". And I think I remember reading that when Carl recorded his rough lead he was just humming the melody or something? Not sure where I read that exactly. Taylor has stated that there was a Dennis vocal track but that he erased it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:41:28 AM by mikeyj » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:41:17 AM »

Taylor has stated that there was a Dennis vocal track but that he erased it.
Oh. My. God. Thud

MBE
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 12:54:41 AM »

I really doubt that.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 12:58:10 AM »

Yeah, like they would allow a guest singer to just erase a historic recording for no reason at all...  Roll Eyes
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 01:09:26 AM »

Yeah, like they would allow a guest singer to just erase a historic recording for no reason at all...  Roll Eyes

Well maybe I didn't make it clear, but I assume Taylor was meaning that DENNIS erased it back in whatever year it was. I'm still with MBE, I doubt it, but who knows?
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 01:10:47 AM »

Here's his quote by the way,

I guess they tried some lyrics and didn’t like ’em. There was a Dennis vocal track but he erased it, just said "I’m gonna f***ing erase it!" He was a big dude and you didn’t f*** with Dennis.

Article: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/sftw/article1315082.ece
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 05:40:38 AM »

Seems very incongruent mentioning the word holy and Dennis Wilson in the same sentence.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 06:42:25 AM »

Well maybe I didn't make it clear, but I assume Taylor was meaning that DENNIS erased it back in whatever year it was.

In that case I read it wrong, sorry.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 06:58:41 AM »

In that case I read it wrong, sorry.

Don't be sorry, just a misunderstanding.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 07:48:13 AM »

If there was a Dennis vocal that's news to me...I think Taylor's mistaken about that. Dennis did erase a lot of things that's for sure. Carl's humm of the melody was barely there on tape...just minimal, nothing serious. Kalinich submitted a lyric set for it back in '75 but it was never recorded. Gregg said he'd worked on a partial lyric back then too, and Dennis didn't like it. Dennis put the song aside. Hanlon was the person who was really a big fan of this song and wanted it unearthed. Everybody agreed it was a gem, and that the track by itself should be released. As an experiment in '07 Gregg wrote a new lyric, more of a poem actually. Taylor who is Gregg's friend was brought in to take a crack at singing it...again an experiment. He changed Gregg's lyric around to fit Dennis' music. He did maybe two takes. We all thought it sounded great, so that version was put on the Legacy disc as well.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 07:59:50 PM »

Gregg said (in ESQ) that back in the '70s, in addition to Steve K. and himself, Carl and Jim Dutch had each taken a crack at writing lyrics, but they all got tossed.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 08:15:55 PM »

Well, however it happened -- it's one of those moments that inspire poetry. 

Dennis Wilson.  Holy man.  That's an amazing track.  Even in its instrumental version, it has a lyric.  It almost is Dennis Wilson.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 08:18:06 PM »

I did Cool

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 09:54:37 PM »

Get OUT! Grin

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Jason
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 10:49:02 PM »

Dennis Wilson.  Holy man.  That's an amazing track.  Even in its instrumental version, it has a lyric.  It almost is Dennis Wilson.

That might be the best description of this track I've ever read. It really does sound like Dennis laying himself out on tape.
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 09:24:20 AM »

That might be the best description of this track I've ever read. It really does sound like Dennis laying himself out on tape.

Yes, love that description.  Holy Man is fodaing incredible!  One of the best tracks I have ever heard.  I actually even like the Taylor Hawkins version.

Does anyone else feel that part of the melody for "Moonshine" was recycled from Holy Man?  Especially the part "You said you loved me now in another way, oh in another way."  (In the Hawkins version of Holy Man, it's the part where he sings "the one you love is everywhere, he is everywhere, and you can follow.")

The outro to Holy Man may be the best 1:30 of music ever recorded by anyone, anywhere.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 01:52:09 PM »

The Taylor Hawkin's version of Holy Man is outstanding, I include it as part on "my" Bambu track list. I would really like Hawkins to be given the chance to do vocals for the reported backing track for "I've Got A Friend" - perhaps including the two on a "singles" release.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 03:21:34 PM »

What became of Queen's Holy Man??

Sam Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 07:42:17 PM »

If there was a Dennis vocal that's news to me...I think Taylor's mistaken about that. Dennis did erase a lot of things that's for sure. Carl's humm of the melody was barely there on tape...just minimal, nothing serious. Kalinich submitted a lyric set for it back in '75 but it was never recorded. Gregg said he'd worked on a partial lyric back then too, and Dennis didn't like it. Dennis put the song aside. Hanlon was the person who was really a big fan of this song and wanted it unearthed. Everybody agreed it was a gem, and that the track by itself should be released. As an experiment in '07 Gregg wrote a new lyric, more of a poem actually. Taylor who is Gregg's friend was brought in to take a crack at singing it...again an experiment. He changed Gregg's lyric around to fit Dennis' music. He did maybe two takes. We all thought it sounded great, so that version was put on the Legacy disc as well.
Thanks for the info.  Smiley

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 12:35:05 AM »

What became of Queen's Holy Man??

Sam Smiley

I heard that it's tied up in rights disputes. Sad

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Naive Teen Idol
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 09:17:16 PM »

I must say, I am usually totally and completely opposed to new recordings over old cuts -- not b/c they can't reveal new elements to the song you never realized before...but because they usually don't.

But in the case of Taylor Hawkins' "Holy Man" cut, it totally, completely works -- from the melody that is 100% Dennis (was it his?  that isn't clear on this thread), to Gregg's lyrics which sound just *right* to my ears, to Taylor's vocal, which captures Dennis' vibe without ever lurching toward parody in the slightest.  There's this floaty quality to the song that's hard to describe -- the pounding piano, the ARP string ensemble and loping drums, the whining Moog.  It's just a very...inspiring song, for lack of a better word.  Def. a masterpiece of some kind -- and a lovely parting gift from Dennis beyond the grave.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx