gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:54:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's Over Now  (Read 9716 times)
MBE
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 01:40:18 PM »

I really only played the slow version like once because I am more into vinyl. The one I am used to is the right speed. Brian sounds fine on it. It really was a big error.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 12:50:46 AM »

Sheriff, I just meant that it makes some sense that they released that version because it was
the master mix, not a mistakenly slowed-down version found in the vaults and haphazardly
thrown on without researching whether a faster, and seemingly preferable, version could be found with a little more effort.

The compilers certainly could have tried to alter the speed of the "master mix" to achieve a better result before putting it on the set, but maybe other voices had a say, or it just didn't occur to them (hard to believe). I hope they at least considered "correcting" the speed before
putting it out into the world officially for the first time.  Some here prefer the slow version so I guess it's a matter of taste, although it seems clear to me that Carl's vocal is like molasses and
the faster speed is preferable.

I understand your point now. Thanks.

But, you know, being the stubborn fan that I am, I STILL don't believe the boxed set has the correct speed for "It's Over Now". As messed up as Brian might've been when he wrote/produced (?) the track, there's no way he would've CHOSEN it to sound that way - so slow. No way. It's unlistenable!

They messed up another song on the boxed set - "Do You Like Worms".  How could that happen? And, it being a SMiLE song that waited 25 years to surface. How could somebody NOT catch that before it came out? Unbelievable....

How is it "messed up" exactly? It's great that on the second verse at least it has the instrumental sectionthat the restored "Sandwich Isle" lyrics on BWPS fit with, so you can get a real glimpse of the finished SMiLE-era product, with only vocals missing. I don't remember any particular problems with it. Huh

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 01:16:19 AM »

Was "It's Over Now" actually meant to be heard the way that it was released officially? I'm a little confused with some of the messages here, talking about it being an error. Was it a "creative error"(i.e. somebody's own opinion), or an actual mastering error that somehow ended getting released on the box set. I've never actually heard the sped up version. I sure would like to....

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 01:39:13 AM »

Sheriff, I just meant that it makes some sense that they released that version because it was
the master mix, not a mistakenly slowed-down version found in the vaults and haphazardly
thrown on without researching whether a faster, and seemingly preferable, version could be found with a little more effort.

The compilers certainly could have tried to alter the speed of the "master mix" to achieve a better result before putting it on the set, but maybe other voices had a say, or it just didn't occur to them (hard to believe). I hope they at least considered "correcting" the speed before
putting it out into the world officially for the first time.  Some here prefer the slow version so I guess it's a matter of taste, although it seems clear to me that Carl's vocal is like molasses and

But, you know, being the stubborn fan that I am, I STILL don't believe the boxed set has the correct speed for "It's Over Now". As messed up as Brian might've been when he wrote/produced (?) the track, there's no way he would've CHOSEN it to sound that way - so slow. No way. It's unlistenable!

They messed up another song on the boxed set - "Do You Like Worms".  How could that happen? And, it being a SMiLE song that waited 25 years to surface. How could somebody NOT catch that before it came out? Unbelievable....

How is it "messed up" exactly? It's great that on the second verse at least it has the instrumental sectionthat the restored "Sandwich Isle" lyrics on BWPS fit with, so you can get a real glimpse of the finished SMiLE-era product, with only vocals missing. I don't remember any particular problems with it. Huh

There's a speed problem, i think - it 'wobbles' during the verses, for want of a better word

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 01:49:23 AM »

I know what you mean(DYLW), it sounds like the tape is warped or something for a bare second.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2009, 05:16:39 AM »

There's a speed problem, i think - it 'wobbles' during the verses, for want of a better word

Yeah, that's what I mean. I read an interview (with Mark Linett?), and he explained that something happened with the tape. Why wasn't it caught/corrected BEFORE the boxed set was released?
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 06:02:14 AM »

I've never actually heard the sped up version. I sure would like to....
As would I.  I'd hate to be a Pitiful Mooch, though, so I won't ask...
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 03:02:50 PM »

I like the box set version.  I like the song.  I recognize that it seems to drag a bit but the slowed speed adds to the mood...to these ears and brain anyway....sounds dreamy and sedated...and very sad.     Thats what makes it good!

And I will include myself in the group who initially was unsure of who was singing which part.  But I really like the three voices....just the way they are presented on the box.  Don't change a thing for me.   And it makes me wish there were a few more BB songs where Marilyn had such a prominent part.  Heck, I even like let's put our hearts together..............no. seriously.
sofonanm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 09:25:39 PM »

I know what you mean(DYLW), it sounds like the tape is warped or something for a bare second.

I love how that sounds.

Fits the song.
monkeytree5
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 06:20:53 PM »

With the talk on the Adult Child thread about It's Over Now, does anyone know the correct settings to make this song sound right?  Most editing software has settings to "raise pitch" or "increase speed" by a certain %.  Anyone know what is necessary for this song?
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 06:27:17 PM »

6% sounds correct to me.
picassosson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 07:36:52 PM »

Anyone know if the attempt to re-record the 1967 Hawaii Live album in the studio were possibly intended to be sped up as well in the overdub process? I did the speed up thing to my "Little Help" on rarities, and it makes a world of difference.
monkeytree5
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 08:23:11 PM »

6% sounds correct to me.

Thanks, Ebb
I will try this.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 09:23:28 PM »

My old-school audio program didn't go by percentage, but I sped it up by a half-step and it did indeed make quite a difference.  Carl, Brian and Marilyn sound more like themselves.  The song does sound good at this speed, although I think the slowed down version fits the song's sad nature quite well.

Either way, still a hell of a song.  It's damn near tragic that this song isn't more widely known and appreciated.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 04:04:17 AM »

Did you raise the pitch and speed it up, or just raise the pitch?  I want to try this when I get home, and I just want to know exactly what to do to get the thing right.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 06:52:36 AM »

Bruce explained to me what happened there - when they added the bvs, they slowed down the track so's they wouldn't have to sing quite so high... but when it was mastered for the 1983 Rarities set, no-one knew to speed it up. Hence Bruce sounding stoned.

This slowing down to overdub, then restoring original speed for release ... it's the 1960s/70s version of Auto-Tune isn't it!

“We live in divisive times.”
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 07:10:13 AM »

Maybe a bit thick here, but am I to understand that the vocals on It's Over Now are Carl and Marilyn slowed down with Brian on the "Shades of Blue" bit? Vocally this song has always been a bit of an enigma for me.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2011, 09:40:49 AM »

Maybe a bit thick here, but am I to understand that the vocals on It's Over Now are Carl and Marilyn slowed down with Brian on the "Shades of Blue" bit? Vocally this song has always been a bit of an enigma for me.

Yes, the song was slowed down when mastered to give it a sadder, drowsier feel...or was it slowed down by mistake? I can't recall, but most fans tend to agree that it sounds better at a faster speed.

By the way, altering the speed of a recorded tape has been done quite often. "Caroline, No" is sped up on PET SOUNDS (the normal speed version can be heard on the PET SOUNDS BOX SET) and I think "How See Boogalooed It" is also sped up. Both "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" and "When I'm 64" on the Beatles' SGT. PEPPER were sped up quite a bit. In fact, when George Martin went back to master the album for CD twenty years later, he was surprised at how sped-up "64" was.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »

I did not know "Boogalooed It" was sped up but it makes sense, I suppose. What is the correct speed?
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2011, 12:24:42 PM »

I slowed down When I'm 64, sounds much better to my ears.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
SG7
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2011, 01:07:08 PM »

I didn't realize for a long time either Marilyn sings on Busy Doin' Nothing as well  Shocked
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2011, 01:41:35 PM »

Hiss Central.

LOL

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2011, 01:42:05 PM »

What software are some of you using to change the pitch/speed?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2011, 03:05:34 PM »

What software are some of you using to change the pitch/speed?

Mine is ancient - Adobe Audition.  It gives you the option to change pitch only, speed only, and both (raising pitch via speeding up the playback).  I'll have to try out "When I'm 64" and "Bugallooed It" - I could be wrong, but given that they were doing it on the actual tapes, they couldn't have safely messed with the speed by more than a step or so either way, right?

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2011, 03:07:05 PM »

I didn't realize for a long time either Marilyn sings on Busy Doin' Nothing as well  Shocked

Nor did I, until I saw the vocal credits thread here.  Her voice provides some nice texture to Brian's doubled lead on that one.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx