gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:12:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: St. Louis Post-Dispatch Short Interview with Mike Love  (Read 4177 times)
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 07, 2009, 12:46:44 PM »

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/music/story/D4DA363BA6A500A9862575AE0052FB4A?OpenDocument

Saw this on Brian's messageboard.Check the above link for a short article on an upcoming Beach Boys' gig.

Mike Love is quoted, & he talks about  the band "stockpiling new material for a new album as well as a double symphonic album," whatever that means.  I wouldn't take that quote to the bank as they say.

He also says they didn't have much to do with the new compilation that's coming out soon.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:33:24 PM »

I like this interview, even though he had to take a potshot at the Beatles at the end!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 01:53:34 PM »

No matter who is on the record, personally I'll be happy with any new material from The Beach Boys.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »

How's that going to work exactly?  I seem to recall that the license gave Mike and Co to PERFORM as The Beach Boys, but prohibited them from RECORDING as The Beach Boys....

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 02:14:19 PM »

IIRC, Bruce has been talking about a "symphonic album" for 10+ years.  Don't hold your breath, kids.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 02:17:06 PM »

Mike Love

Of

The Beach Boys

would do it! Or some other way such as the Nascar deal.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 02:23:27 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 02:31:38 PM »

IIRC, Bruce has been talking about a "symphonic album" for 10+ years.  Don't hold your breath, kids.

They have been doing concerts with orchestras so the arrangements are worked out.  All they would need to do is get a good recording of one of these concerts.  If they could work with an orchestra that already records their concerts, the financial outlay would be minimal.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 09:18:32 PM »

I like this interview, even though he had to take a potshot at the Beatles at the end!

He is the ultimate class act. Roll Eyes

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 10:11:34 PM »

"(...) 'Good Vibrations,' which Rolling Stone said was the single of the century. I'm sure that made the Beatles mad, but they had to get over it."

Oh my, he's got some nerve. Cheesy

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 02:19:18 AM »

So having a problem with 80% of the original line-up not being there is really just 'nitpicking'?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 02:21:31 AM »

I'm sure that made the Beatles mad, but they had to get over it.

Yeah, I bet those losers lost quite some sleep over that...   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 02:36:31 AM by shelter » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 03:39:55 AM »

Just for information, as far as I remember it wasn't the Rolling Stone who named GV the greatest single. That was Mojo in '96 iirc. RS had them on #6 or something like that.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 08:03:28 AM »

They have been doing concerts with orchestras so the arrangements are worked out.  All they would need to do is get a good recording of one of these concerts.  If they could work with an orchestra that already records their concerts, the financial outlay would be minimal.

I'm quite impressed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LUNTIhYeMw

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 03:38:38 AM »

Sounds excellent.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 08:34:37 AM »

He put one out already, Symphonic Sounds, back in 1998.  Remember that one?

http://www.amazon.com/Symphonic-Sounds-Music-Beach-Boys/dp/B000009NH7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1241969650&sr=1-1
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 08:38:39 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/music/story/D4DA363BA6A500A9862575AE0052FB4A?OpenDocument

Saw this on Brian's messageboard.Check the above link for a short article on an upcoming Beach Boys' gig.

Mike Love is quoted, & he talks about  the band "stockpiling new material for a new album as well as a double symphonic album," whatever that means.  I wouldn't take that quote to the bank as they say.

He also says they didn't have much to do with the new compilation that's coming out soon.

I'm just hoping that "new album" doesn't have "Beach Boys" in the name.  I can live with Mike and Bruce touring under the Beach Boys name, but trying to record an album with that name using the no-name bandmembers they tour with does not a Beach Boys album make.  Let Love finally get around to releasing that solo album he recorded a few years back under his own name.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 08:49:10 AM »

I'm quite impressed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LUNTIhYeMw

Also orchestras are always looking for a way to bring in revenue -- "pops" concerts are a way of supporting the "serious" programming -- so I should think that any orchestra would be eager to work out a deal with Mike and Bruce.

The question is how perfect the recording would have to be.  Would they need studio time to rerecord the French horn part that got flubbed?  etc.  If the orchestra is good enough, that won't really be an issue -- they should just release it as an archive of a concert.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 09:04:51 AM »

Of course, working with full orchestras is also VERY expensive from an artist's perspective: you're paying union rates to the performers and (usually) the venue personnel. Frank Zappa went on at great length on that subject over the years.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 09:11:22 AM »

Of course, working with full orchestras is also VERY expensive from an artist's perspective: you're paying union rates to the performers and (usually) the venue personnel. Frank Zappa went on at great length on that subject over the years.

My point was that if you are doing a concert -- and Mike and Bruce are doing a few of these with orchestras, a year, those costs are already taken care of.  I could be wrong but I imaging that pops concert with an orchestra behind "the Beach Boys" in a summer ampitheater will sell out, or come close -- even if a state fair show wouldn't.  (Different crowd, different atmosphere.)  Zappa's orchestral music wouldn't be much more of a draw than a concert of Varese. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 09:17:41 AM »

But you're paying more to the orchestra if you are recording and going to sell an album. It isn't just "oh, we already have them here; may as well record them and sell it." It's a whole additional set of rates.

And in the days he was doing such things, Zappa was drawing crowds without problems (especially overseas). No, not stadiums. But theaters.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 06:28:01 AM »

Perhaps that's why Dennis is represented  Grin
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 02:06:40 PM »

Hey Loaf,

That was a good one. Wink
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx