gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:10:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Did the BB's Drag Brian Around on Tour?  (Read 10454 times)
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2009, 07:37:57 AM »

I felt the same way when GIOMH came out.  I thought it was sloppy and the songs were weak.  I was also confused on the timing.  Why was it released so close to BWPSWhy was it just tossed out there?  Weird.

But putting on my BW-colored glasses -- or really my 1977, bearded Brian Wilson glasses -- I get it.  This works wonders for all of Brian's solo work for me!  Yay!

It's easy to be critical -- Imagination is too slick, GIOMH is a mess, BW88 is too 80s or too Landy.  Whatever.  I think that's a crappy way to look at it.  The same guy who made Love You made GIOMH , made "TLOS" -- and I can totally envision that Brian making those albums.

It's easy to see the older Brian today as being propped up, dressed by his wife and his ego-stroked by David Leaf -- being forced to be someone he's not.  All of that may be true.  But so is what I'm saying.  That odd "McDonald's hamburger for every new song" is the only Brian we have left.  Or some variation of it.  Occasionally we even get 60s glimpses -- but really the late 70s "Brian is Back" -- "the performing circus bear" -- is who he is.

That's not changing.

I guess I'm saying I like that Brian.   Grin

Ah yes.. I have a pair of those glasses..  3D  If you really want to increase your appreciation for his solo output, listen to GIOMH while imagining that Brian is singing every melody with his pre-1974 voice..  a perfect example is the end of You Touched Me.. it sounds like something right out of Smile or the fairy tale! (I'm completely serious).. folks, his voice went south, but he writes melodies in the same exact way he always did..  from his mind's ear.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2009, 08:56:59 AM »

I gotta admit, the GIOMH/Love You comparison is probably the best way to consider the former album. It really makes sense. Rough as hell, basically piss poor vocals...maybe I need to re-evaluate GIOMH.

In my opinion GIOMH does have a lot more in common with M.I.U., KTSA, or even BW88. Whatever the real circumstances, Love You sounds like the product of one single creative burst by an enthusiastic, if mighty troubled artist, whereas GIOMH seems patchy, forced, and uninspired. There's also too much of a difference between a sloppy yet highly committed and lively vocal performance by 1977 Brian and the ones we got to hear on most of GIOMH.

Because it's got "Good Time" included, Love You is the only "BW solo album" that sounds patchy to me.  Makes sense -- since it's not a BW solo album.  I often to skip over that track, even though I like it.  Sunflower/Surf's Up/Carl and the Passions/Holland are vary patchy to me.  I seldom listen to those albums.  Perhaps that's why.  They're not Brian albums. 

All of Brian's solo albums, on the other hand, sound like Brian albums.  Whether people tell me Joe Thomas is running the board or Dr Landy.  Whether I'm told "Melinda made him do it" or Brian "first wrote that track 25 years ago" -- they're all awesome.  They're all just like Love You to me now.  I can't tell you how happy this realization has made me.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2009, 09:45:05 AM »

It's no secret that last summer he was in a very bad place: the Kenwood show very nearly never happened (and as it was a truly terrible performance, that might not have been such a bad thing).

Andrew, what was going on last summer?

I'd like to know too.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2009, 10:08:24 AM »

It's no secret that last summer he was in a very bad place: the Kenwood show very nearly never happened (and as it was a truly terrible performance, that might not have been such a bad thing).

Andrew, what was going on last summer?

I'd like to know too.

Simply put, Brian wasn't a happy camper: his sleeping problem was only a part of it. Other areas of his life were not in good shape.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2009, 10:10:39 AM »

Bean Bag - any chance you could cool it with the large print ?  It's kinda like all caps, i.e. shouting.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2009, 11:26:03 AM »

How's this?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2009, 11:27:20 AM »

Kids these days...  Roll Eyes

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2009, 04:11:52 PM »

Cheesy

Grumpy old geezers these days.   

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2009, 07:57:46 PM »

LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2009, 10:54:30 PM »

I felt the same way when GIOMH came out.  I thought it was sloppy and the songs were weak.  I was also confused on the timing.  Why was it released so close to BWPSWhy was it just tossed out there?  Weird.

But putting on my BW-colored glasses -- or really my 1977, bearded Brian Wilson glasses -- I get it.  This works wonders for all of Brian's solo work for me!  Yay!

It's easy to be critical -- Imagination is too slick, GIOMH is a mess, BW88 is too 80s or too Landy.  Whatever.  I think that's a crappy way to look at it.  The same guy who made Love You made GIOMH , made "TLOS" -- and I can totally envision that Brian making those albums.

It's easy to see the older Brian today as being propped up, dressed by his wife and his ego-stroked by David Leaf -- being forced to be someone he's not.  All of that may be true.  But so is what I'm saying.  That odd "McDonald's hamburger for every new song" is the only Brian we have left.  Or some variation of it.  Occasionally we even get 60s glimpses -- but really the late 70s "Brian is Back" -- "the performing circus bear" -- is who he is.

That's not changing.

Ah yes.. I have a pair of those glasses..  3D  If you really want to increase your appreciation for his solo output, listen to GIOMH while imagining that Brian is singing every melody with his pre-1974 voice..  a perfect example is the end of You Touched Me.. it sounds like something right out of Smile or the fairy tale! (I'm completely serious).. folks, his voice went south, but he writes melodies in the same exact way he always did..  from his mind's ear.

Well anything he did after 1974 would be better with his undamaged voice. It's a stumbling block and I can only think of a few near perfect Brian Wilson vocals since then. Matchpoint, Stevie, the 1994 GIOMH, Winter Symphony. That's about it.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2009, 05:01:20 AM »

That's not changing.

Well anything he did after 1974 would be better with his undamaged voice. It's a stumbling block and I can only think of a few near perfect Brian Wilson vocals since then. Matchpoint, Stevie, the 1994 GIOMH, Winter Symphony. That's about it.

Maybe throw in Won't You Come Out Tonight?  It's not very 'clean' but I like his vocal on California Feelin (2002), it's pretty emotive for him.
MBE
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2009, 05:14:06 AM »

The 2002 California Feeling is pleasent but I don't feel it's outstanding. Woncha Come Out Tonight is pretty classy though.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2009, 03:45:28 AM »

Today I think many people like Love You that aren't big Beach Boys fans. People into alternative music probably dig it. Am I the only hard core fan that still thinks its mediocre?

I dunno if I am hard core.. probably not. There are things which I don't like about "classic" Beach Boys. The 80s concert gigs, and the ending of "Fun, Fun, Fun". A wooooh oohh ohhh ohhh, over and over again. Be True To Your School. But I do love Love You, and never really get bored of it. So you might be onto something here.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2009, 05:29:04 AM »

Today I think many people like Love You that aren't big Beach Boys fans. People into alternative music probably dig it. Am I the only hard core fan that still thinks its mediocre?

I dunno if I am hard core.. probably not. There are things which I don't like about "classic" Beach Boys. The 80s concert gigs, and the ending of "Fun, Fun, Fun". A wooooh oohh ohhh ohhh, over and over again. Be True To Your School. But I do love Love You, and never really get bored of it. So you might be onto something here.

I think the fact that you even know about all those things you don't like makes you a hardcore fan  Grin
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2009, 07:31:43 AM »

I think the fact that you even know about all those things you don't like makes you a hardcore fan  Grin
I certainly don't know all the details of every session, etc -- but I would definitely consider myself a hardcore, hopeless fanatic.  I love everything they did.  I don't have Summer In Paradise, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want it.  As for Brian -- he can do no wrong!   Grin

I didn't drink the Beach Boy koolaid...I was born with it in my veins!! 

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx