gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:36:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Did the BB's Drag Brian Around on Tour?  (Read 10389 times)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2009, 06:19:23 PM »

In the late 70's and early 80s why did the Beach Boys bring BW around on tour with them?  He clearly was dysfunctional and added nothing to the show, at times it seemed like he was trying to sabotage it.  I can't imagine being part of it and willing to tolerate having him around why he destroyed himself with drugs every day.  It must have been depressing.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 06:38:30 PM »

$
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 09:04:29 PM »

as some called him, he was a trained bear, making the Beach Boys oldies act a circus, with ringleader Love, tightrope walker Dennis, and the bearded monkey Alan Jardine

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 09:29:02 PM »

as some called him, he was a trained bear, making the Beach Boys oldies act a circus, with ringleader Love, tightrope walker Dennis, and the bearded monkey Alan Jardine

What was Carl?  Smiley
MBE
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 10:22:16 PM »

It was a business thing because Brian all of a sudden was in the headlines. Maybe they thought it would help at first.

Why he agreed...it's more a matter of Brian being strong enough to say no before 1976 and not being strong enough after.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 10:41:11 PM »

I think part of it was that Brian needed money, too. For as much money as he made, he and the rest of the group blew just as much. That's the thing about a lot of rich people, once they get a lot of money they stop living a normal life with normal costs. Suddenly, you HAVE to have huge houses, maids, tons of drugs, expensive cars (some of them rentals that you trash and have to pay for), lavish vacations, private jets, and whatever else. Next thing you know, you're broke.  Remember, Brian wasn't even getting most of the royalties from his back catalog at the time because Murry sold a lot of it in the late 60s.  He hated being there, but in a way he had to be there. Other people in the group were running low on cash too, and they probably felt that if they were going to have to share the concert money with Brian he sure as hell at least better be there performing. Plus, Brian Wilson's name probably helped bring in more people to the shows, too.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 12:57:49 AM »

I was always under the impression that for the first few years of his "comeback", he was brought out on stage as part of his "therapy".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 01:38:51 AM »

Two words:

"Brian's Back !"

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 04:43:48 AM »

I was always under the impression that for the first few years of his "comeback", he was brought out on stage as part of his "therapy".

Right. In addition to all of the above mentioned reasons, this was one of the main ones. The "therapy" included keeping him out of his bed, away from his drug connections, actively playing and singing music, maybe sparking some creativity, and, basically, being "alive", instead of wasting away in a mansion. And, for awhile, it WAS working. Look at the Brian Wilson shown in the 1976 NBC-TV special, sitting frozen behind his keyboard, barely able to move. By 1979, he had lost weight, had written Love You, was playing piano and bass, was more active on stage, and appeared to be a functioning human being again. Then, for reasons which have been written about a little, but not fully explored, he backslided, and the rest is history.

I think the reasons for Brian's extensive touring in the last decade were for a lot of those same reasons.
MBE
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 05:18:18 AM »

I don't know he got better for a while but by mid 1978 he was huge and in the mental hospital. He did get better for a short time in 1979 but by 1981 he was in trouble. I mean he shows signs of drug abuse all through 76-82 Landy was giving him weed for sure. By 1977 he was back on cocaine. Check out the concert video from early 1977. He and Mike argue on stage and he keeps wiping his nose. I would go as far as to say Brian was a lot better in 1974 then he was in 1980.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 05:39:20 AM »

I didn't say he was cured! Cheesy

I guess I was looking for the positives. By the end of 1976 he was out from behind the keyboard and playing some bass. He did The Beach Boys Love You and Adult Child during this period. His voice improved considerably; MIU features some excellent vocals. He wasn't huge in 1978; I saw him in Philadelphia in June 1978. He lost about a hundred pounds; check him out on the 1979 Midnight Special. Some of the interviews in 1980 showed some lucidity and even humor. Maybe some of that sitting expressionless behind the piano was boredom, I don't know. I can't speak about the drug problems because I don't know the facts. I thought Landy kept them away in 1976 and Stan & Rocky served that role in 1977; I realize he was never totally clean. I'm more interested in that "breakdown" in late 1978, because I was really optimistic after Love You and MIU, then he was gone - again....
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 08:26:36 AM »

Brian hasn't been a normal, fully functional and independent adult since god knows when. He needs handlers. Those handlers - Landy, Beach Boys, Marilyn, Leaf & Melinda etc - will always be in an unfortunate position, because the fans want Brian to be happy, but they also want 'just one more album' and 'just one more gig' from the guy.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 10:37:55 AM »

I remember reading a long time ago that the BBs fired Landy the first time around because he cost too much.  If that's true, they should have spent whatever it took to save Brian, or hired someone else.  I saw him at  number of concerts in the late 70s and he was obviously using and not happy to be there, didn't add to the show.  If you watch the You Tube clip for the interview for Japan Jam in 79, he was a zombie.   
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 10:57:16 AM »

Brian hasn't been a normal, fully functional and independent adult since god knows when. He needs handlers. Those handlers - Landy, Beach Boys, Marilyn, Leaf & Melinda etc - will always be in an unfortunate position, because the fans want Brian to be happy, but they also want 'just one more album' and 'just one more gig' from the guy.

Not this fan - I just want Brian to do whatever he wants to do (within reason - no drugs, of course), not what, to use his very own words "my wife and managers think".

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 11:34:44 AM »

Same here, the guy deserves to retire, if that's what he wants to do. 
Wilsonista
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 02:28:22 PM »

Not this fan - I just want Brian to do whatever he wants to do (within reason - no drugs, of course), not what, to use his very own words "my wife and managers think".

Is that even possible?
Would Brian even know what he wants?
No wife and manager, no BWPS and no TLOS.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 04:32:38 PM »

Carl woulda headed up the consession stand 

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 06:11:50 PM »

It really puts into perspective how sad of a loss Dennis and Carl Wilson were for Brian.  Sometimes, it is easy to forget how important a REALLY caring family is.  I'm not that interested in Brian touring or making more music.  I love the Beach Boys and some of Brian's solo music, but the man really should be able to make his own decisions. 

When it comes to touring, I can't really say why they did it.  Maybe the people around him thought it would be better for him, but I just can't  imagine touring being good for a person try to stop taking drugs.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 07:00:40 PM »

Why Did the BB's Drag Brian Around on Tour? .....that is a question I put to Mike Love in 1982 and to Bruce several times (the latest being last year on the BB Britain board). The "answer"...."Who are WE to tell Brian he come out on tour with us?"........SOSDD with this group!
MBE
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 08:12:26 PM »

I didn't say he was cured! Cheesy

I guess I was looking for the positives. By the end of 1976 he was out from behind the keyboard and playing some bass. He did The Beach Boys Love You and Adult Child during this period. His voice improved considerably; MIU features some excellent vocals. He wasn't huge in 1978; I saw him in Philadelphia in June 1978. He lost about a hundred pounds; check him out on the 1979 Midnight Special. Some of the interviews in 1980 showed some lucidity and even humor. Maybe some of that sitting expressionless behind the piano was boredom, I don't know. I can't speak about the drug problems because I don't know the facts. I thought Landy kept them away in 1976 and Stan & Rocky served that role in 1977; I realize he was never totally clean. I'm more interested in that "breakdown" in late 1978, because I was really optimistic after Love You and MIU, then he was gone - again....

In 1978 he was bigger then 1977 for sure but I never thought he was huge until I saw film of . June 25 - The Meadowlands, East Rutherford NJ. That's the PM Magazine interview. He looks like 1975 Brian there and it's one of the first interviews I have seen where he doesn't seem to be there at all. Now you saw him earlier that week and say he looked fine. It's just inexplicable to me how he could bloat up so fast. By Midnight Special he looked pretty good again. Some interviews even in 1981 show him in great humor and very present. Late 1978 I figure he was getting back into hard drugs, his marriage broke up, and perhaps things weren't going his way with the group either.

MBE
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 08:19:13 PM »

From what I could tell Brian didn't have anyone keeping close tabs on him until 1975 when Stan was hired. I wonder if anything he has done since that day is out of true inspiration. This is especally a seriouis question since 1983. I am grateful musically for LOS, BWPS, etc. I just don't like that he is told to work. Andrew's post sums it up perfect.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 10:23:48 PM »

I've said this before, but I think the final "nail in the coffin" was Carl's death.  The stuff with Dennis's death, and the Landy situation took a heavy toll, but I think that whatever remained of "Brian" died the day that Carl died.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 02:02:19 AM »

Is that even possible?
Would Brian even know what he wants?
No wife and manager, no BWPS and no TLOS.

True... but my impression is that Brian would be happier had not touring, Pet Sounds live & BWPS been 'suggested' to him. It's no secret that last summer he was in a very bad place: the Kenwood show very nearly never happened (and as it was a truly terrible performance, that might not have been such a bad thing). Fact - Brian hates doing the GH shows. Fact - Brian hates doing the post-show meet-&-greets. If the material engages him, he responds... if not, the autopilot kicks in.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 03:54:49 AM »

Brian would be happier had not touring, Pet Sounds live & BWPS been 'suggested' to him. It's no secret that last summer he was in a very bad place: the Kenwood show very nearly never happened (and as it was a truly terrible performance, that might not have been such a bad thing). Fact - Brian hates doing the GH shows. Fact - Brian hates doing the post-show meet-&-greets. If the material engages him, he responds... if not, the autopilot kicks in.

I take your point about GH shows but he seemed on fire when I saw TLOS at RFH.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 05:16:11 AM »

Brian would be happier had not touring, Pet Sounds live & BWPS been 'suggested' to him. It's no secret that last summer he was in a very bad place: the Kenwood show very nearly never happened (and as it was a truly terrible performance, that might not have been such a bad thing). Fact - Brian hates doing the GH shows. Fact - Brian hates doing the post-show meet-&-greets. If the material engages him, he responds... if not, the autopilot kicks in.

I take your point about GH shows but he seemed on fire when I saw TLOS at RFH.

Precisely my point - the material engaged him, and he responded.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx