gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:50:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Live In Las Vegas (AJ solo)
5 - 10 (29.4%)
4 - 20 (58.8%)
3 - 4 (11.8%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live In Las Vegas (Al Jardine)  (Read 19830 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 01:48:49 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Live In Las Vegas, released September 2001.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:14:54 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 01:50:23 PM »

A wonderful, fun concert. Everyone's having a great time. Just shows that at one time, Al's band came the closest to replicating the "classic" live sound the group had in the 70s. Now Brian has that, and he doesn't particularly excel at it.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 07:50:57 AM »

Fun, much more good than bad, not perfect. 

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 12:16:03 PM »

i think al sounds more like the bb than brian does on this album. great harmonies and great song selection, not only hits.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 06:19:55 AM »

Fantastic album! Al's the real deal if anyone wants to see/hear a Beach Boys-show. I give it a 4, 'cause I think the instrumental tracks werde done better by Brian and band, and also some vocals.
Still this one is absolute great and it's better than the Mike'n'Bruce-show will ever be imho. Al's voice is unbelievable good and still sounds fresh after all those years. The new studiorecording is great, I hope to hear more from him, or that this song will be on the new Beach Boys-release, 'cause imo it's one of the best songs to come out by the Beach Boys in the last almost 20 years. Al's and Brian's kids sound great, too. You really have to think about calling this band the Beach Boys, since there is more of the BBs-family than in any other BBs-related group.
BTW, why aren't Carnie and Wendy touring with Al anymore?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 08:03:58 AM »

BTW, why aren't Carnie and Wendy touring with Al anymore?

I believe I read an interview with Al where he stated the lawsuits made the ladies leave.  I can't put my hand on the article, however.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 08:36:51 AM »

I remember reading something where he said it was "pressure from the board".. that BRI didn't think females should sing in a Beach Boys related band or some such..

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 12:17:58 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I just hope that their relationship is still okay. It would be a shame if such things would destroy friendships, but it wouldn't be the first time.... Roll Eyes

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
wolkensohn
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 05:24:07 AM »

This album is lovely, great sound, great audience. But I´m a little upset with the Setlist, I think i´ve mentioned thas a several times before  Shocked

It would´ve been lovely to have California, Cottonfields, Lady Linda or Sea Cruise on it... where have all "Jardine" Songs gone? He only plays the Hits

But his song "California energy blues" is nice
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 05:34:29 AM »

Sea Cruise Huh
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 03:12:14 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
wolkensohn
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 05:59:49 AM »

Sea Cruise Huh

Bitte Leif, sprich dich aus  Cheesy

The Beach Boys Version of this Song written by HP Smith/Frankie Ford released on their "Ten Years of Harmony" LP.
Al played that song at several shows (Sea Cruise and Runaway)...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 06:05:09 AM by wolkensohn » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 02:34:21 AM »

I finally got this one and I think it's great. The performances are good and the vocals are excellent. I do think that for a guy who was fed up with being part of a human jukebox, he included a whole lot of the familiar hit songs on his set list. And why not a single one of his own songs? I can understand the absence of Lady Lynda (I'm sure it's awkward to sing a love song for your ex), but why no Lookin' At Tomorrow? Take A Load Off Your Feet? California? Susie Cincinnati? Or Cotton Fields?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 10:55:01 AM »

Sea Cruise Huh

Bitte Leif, sprich dich aus  Cheesy

The Beach Boys Version of this Song written by HP Smith/Frankie Ford released on their "Ten Years of Harmony" LP.
Al played that song at several shows (Sea Cruise and Runaway)...
Did he sing Sea Cruise live?  I know Denny did for 15 Big Ones sessions.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 02:38:36 AM »

Always dug this one until I lost my copy a couple of years ago. Now it's €185 on Amazon.  Tongue
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »

I really do enjoy this album. Makes one wonder why Mike/Bruce haven't followed suite. the version of Girl Don't Tell Me on here might just be the best version out there, the drums on it really make it rock! Great to hear a "rarity" live like Breakaway. California Energy Blues is ok, wonder why it wasn't re-done for his new album?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 12:38:46 AM »

California Energy Blues is ok, wonder why it wasn't re-done for his new album?
he was too busy rerecording old songs from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s to rerecord a song from the 2000s.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »

California Energy Blues is ok, wonder why it wasn't re-done for his new album?
he was too busy rerecording old songs from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s to rerecord a song from the 2000s.
haha, good call....and the energy crisis may be a little out dated now

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 04:52:12 PM »

Never got a chance to see Al + his band live so im glad to have this CD.. Very good performance + Matt Jardine like usual is great also.. I agree wish he had done some Al written BB songs . The album is a keeper..4/5  No doubt Dennis is way underrated but I think so is Alan.. To some fans he is an afterthought.. Not with me.. And he is super nice when you meet him..
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:12:31 PM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
KDS
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 06:23:36 AM »

Was this the full concert?

On the back of the CD, it looks like You Still Believe in Me and Kokomo are scratched out. 

Since the track list looks like an actual setlist from the stage, does this mean that both songs were cut from the show itself, or just the CD? 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 06:32:09 AM »

Was this the full concert?

On the back of the CD, it looks like You Still Believe in Me and Kokomo are scratched out. 

Since the track list looks like an actual setlist from the stage, does this mean that both songs were cut from the show itself, or just the CD? 

Al did a long run of shows at the end of 1999 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. It looks like he did 14 shows over about two weeks. He apparently actually lugged his analog gear out there to record shows. While he may not have recorded all 14 of the shows, I would guess he recorded several of the shows at least and probably pulled different songs from different shows.

I'm not sure if the back cover is from one particular setlist from one show, but both YSBIM and "Kokomo" were sporadically in Al's setlists in 1999 and were likely performed at some point over the course of those two weeks.

I thought even back then that it was kind of weird to scratch song titles out, essentially teasing what they left *off* the album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 05:52:06 AM »

Thanks for the info, HJ.

I ranked this album a 4 out of 5. 

Definitely a fun live album, especially worth it for a live version of Breakaway. 

I noticed that Al made sure to say "I'm Beach Boy Al Jardine, and this is my family and friends."  The show must've been soon after he was forced to drop "Beach Boys" from his name.

All the vocalists are in top form, the Jardine brothers, the Wilson sisters, Billy, and of course Al.

The "bonus" track however......whew.  I'd have gladly jettisoned that song for a live version of You Still Believe in Me or Kokomo. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 06:45:54 AM »

I thought even back then that it was kind of weird to scratch song titles out, essentially teasing what they left *off* the album.

At least Neil Young didn't scratch the missing "If You Got Love" from the tracklist of TransCool Guy

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx