gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:40:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Details on "Summer Love Songs" (NEW STEREO MIXES)  (Read 24354 times)
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2009, 10:22:09 AM »

I really don't like how the "deep and wide" part sounds in the remix of Time To Get Alone.  All the power has been sucked out of it.

And the new version of Fallin' in Love is a bit of a disappointment.  I prefer the original mix, with the stark opening and with Dennis's vocals more prominent.

Glenn
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2009, 12:17:59 PM »

I really don't like how the "deep and wide" part sounds in the remix of Time To Get Alone.  All the power has been sucked out of it.

And the new version of Fallin' in Love is a bit of a disappointment.  I prefer the original mix, with the stark opening and with Dennis's vocals more prominent.

I used to love the "power" of the original "deep & wide" line, but as I became more aware of studio effects and realized that the sound of it was achieved by many layers of echo, I found
it hard to listen to without being aware of the artificial tone of it. IMO, if it has been made to
sound more natural, like the gorgeous, relaxed Hawthorne, CA version, that's a good thing
(apologies to Martha Stewart). Smiley

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »

Getting use to the new mixes of Lady and Dont Worry Baby. I would really like to know what that piece of music is at the begining for Why Do Fools Fall In Love. Doesn't sound like it was part of that song. Unless it is a riff from the backing track. Mark? Alan?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: May 22, 2009, 01:36:29 PM »

Getting use to the new mixes of Lady and Dont Worry Baby. I would really like to know what that piece of music is at the begining for Why Do Fools Fall In Love. Doesn't sound like it was part of that song. Unless it is a riff from the backing track. Mark? Alan?

Neither Mark nor Alan, but to me it sounds like a experiment with Spector's sound. Probably vocals would've been added. I imagine it being in the form of the beginning and ending to "In the parkin' lot". Maybe Brian got the idea to that from his first version of WDFFIL or vice versa

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2009, 05:06:10 PM »

which basically carries over to the remixes of In the Parkin' Lot, etc

Where has "In the Parkin' Lot" been remixed?

Nowhere, I guess.  For some odd reason I was thinkin' it was remixed.  Try "Hushabye".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »

WDFFIL intro was recorded at the same Gold Star session as the rest of the song, but obviously not used on the orig. release. Nobody would have known this intro even existed if the multi-track master had not been found recently, which it was. I think the intro and the new mix sound great....classic Brian meets Spector stuff.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2009, 09:03:44 PM »

WDFFIL intro was recorded at the same Gold Star session as the rest of the song, but obviously not used on the orig. release. Nobody would have known this intro even existed if the multi-track master had not been found recently, which it was. I think the intro and the new mix sound great....classic Brian meets Spector stuff.
Yeah, that intro sounds like it would have some talking over top of it
(as someone in one of these threads mentioned about a week or two ago). Real melodramatic like the shangri-las or darlene love

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2009, 09:47:12 PM »

The intro just sounds like Brian playing variations on Be My Baby.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2009, 03:20:39 AM »

The intro just sounds like Brian playing variations on Be My Baby.

I agree. It also reminds me of a song that would only materialize many years later, "This Isn't Love".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx