gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 07:34:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Details on "Summer Love Songs" (NEW STEREO MIXES)  (Read 24412 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2009, 10:35:05 AM »

Damn you rocky pamplin.

Angry
Thank God, normal-sized, black text! Hallelujah!

Just curious...black text?  I have white text on a dark grey background ??  Huh

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2009, 12:42:03 PM »

Ok..........

Nope - not OK at all. Someone actually got paid for that ?  And someone else said "yeah, that's fine" ??   Grin

Reminds me of the poster for the Endless Summer surfing film.   The graphic "artist" probably borrowed from that.   http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HkigL1rqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Interesting, because I'm listening to the soundtrack right now and haven't thought about the covers being so alike. But you're totally right...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2009, 01:34:35 PM »

Damn you rocky pamplin.

Angry
Thank God, normal-sized, black text! Hallelujah!

Just curious...black text?  I have white text on a dark grey background ??  Huh
So do I...you're good...very good... Wink

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2009, 01:49:49 PM »

Ok..........

Nope - not OK at all. Someone actually got paid for that ?  And someone else said "yeah, that's fine" ??   Grin

Reminds me of the poster for the Endless Summer surfing film.   The graphic "artist" probably borrowed from that.   http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HkigL1rqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Interesting, because I'm listening to the soundtrack right now and haven't thought about the covers being so alike. But you're totally right...

While the Beach Boys/Capitol camp have been ripping off Bruce Brown's intellectual property for over 35 years I believe this cover art is inspired/approprated from the classic surf film, Morning Of The Earth and the iconic scene of Rusty Miller and Steve Cooney picking there way across the coral reef on their way out to surf Bali's Uluwatu for the very first time.

Given the litigious nature of some whithin the Beach Boys organisation when it comes to the subject of intellectual property I am amazed at their lack of compunction when it comes to ripping off surfers who struggle to make a dollar!

Whether it Bruce Brown's Endless Summer or Albie Falzon's Morning Of The Earth it's still a rip off!
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2009, 02:00:29 PM »

It this

http://media.photobucket.com/image/%252522morning%20of%20the%20earth%252522%20film%20poster/wilkoop0/MOTE-1.jpg

the mentioned Morning Of The Earth poster?
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2009, 03:50:56 PM »

Yeah, that's a Morning Of The Earth poster but it's for the 25th Anniversary live concerts which were held last year in Australia. To get a better idea of the image I mention see this video footage on You Tube - the Miller/Cooney images occur at around 25 seconds and for any hardcore surfer these are seminal images: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHJY4ar91XY&feature=related

I retrospect the new album cover probably does more to rip off the poster for Bruce Brown's Endless Summer II than it does either the original Endless Summer or Morning Of The Earth. Here is the ESII poster: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1087932928/tt0109729

Actually as a symbolic image of surfers and their girlfriends in the 60s & 70s the album cover it totaly bogus ..... eveybody knows that surfers only took their girlfriends to the beach to "look after their towels" ... and besides "chicks don't surf" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCE7w7ombrk&feature=related
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:06:42 PM by TonyW » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2009, 07:07:37 PM »

I'm actually really excited for this comp..can you pre order yet?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2009, 07:43:50 PM »

Anybody know if 'Please Let Me Wonder' is the stereo mix that was on Warmth of the Sun?
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2009, 08:21:06 PM »

Ok..........

That's what I meant Andrew....as we say in the states....."UM........Ok............" (meaning really? really? this is the best you can do?) And yeah, it is EndLess Summer......or a poor man's copy of it.

Why can't we get somehting really really good? Hell, the boxset with the board for the cover was better.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:31:19 PM by petsite » Logged
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2009, 10:20:45 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Love-Songs-Girls-Beach/dp/B001XJNZ7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1239686300&sr=8-1
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2009, 10:40:03 PM »

Why can't we get somehting really really good? Hell, the boxset with the board for the cover was better.

Good point. Somebody like Rick Rietveld could do a good retro Beach Boys album cover without falling into the Wyland Gallery cliches of the SIP cover. Here's Rick's stuff: http://www.waveridersgallery.net/catalog2/surfartist-rick-rietveld-c-21_86.html
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2009, 07:50:18 AM »

Good point. Somebody like Rick Rietveld could do a good retro Beach Boys album cover without falling into the Wyland Gallery cliches of the SIP cover. Here's Rick's stuff: http://www.waveridersgallery.net/catalog2/surfartist-rick-rietveld-c-21_86.html

Trouble is, it's so objective. Rick Rietveld's stuff doesn't appeal to me at all.

Best BBs' album cover? Surf's Up gets my vote, the Holland, then In Concert. Frank Holmes' SMILE cover would have been right up there if it'd been released. Of the pre-66 albums, only Surfin' Safari.  Maybe this needs its own thread?

“We live in divisive times.”
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2009, 08:24:52 AM »

Yeah!  I like it a lot.  DEFINITELY for Brian's next solo album!!!!!!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2009, 10:20:22 AM »

Yeah!  I like it a lot.  DEFINITELY for Brian's next solo album!!!!!!

See, for me, that combines the Smiley Smile, MIU and SIP covers, but with a dose of visual syrup that suggests it'd be more suitable for a compilation that included Deirdre, Tears in the Morning, The Nearest Faraway Place and most of Going Public.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:21:24 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »

Yuck.  The kind of art that appeals to 12 year-old girls.  All it needs is a jumping dolphin.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2009, 11:23:18 AM »

It does have a Summer In Paradise resemblance - although this is more surreal.  I digs it.  I dig the Smiley overtones too...but it's not as damp and gloomy.  And the MIU wave curl should be on every B.B. record!

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2009, 03:05:45 PM »

Art is purely subjective ... whenever I go to the Australian National Gallery is see people lined up and looking at Jackson Pollock's "Blue Poles", me I turn around and look at Willem De Kooning's "Woman V" ...

The thing with a guy like Rietveld is that the images displayed on that website are for the mass market, the people who think Wayand Galleries are art and that jumping dophins are "lovely" ... at the end of the day an artist has to pay the bills (greatest hits tours anyone?).

Rietveld has "surfing cred" something the Beach Boys camp strives for but always misses the mark of and instead ends up with kooks and gumbies. Rietveld when given commissions by the movers and shakers of the surf industry has always delivered including posters for events such as The Quiksilver Pro in Java and the Eddie Akaiu Big Wave Invitational in Hawaii - amongst some of the biggest and best surf contests ever ... and not a jumping dolphin in sight!

Rietveld is just an example of the talent which is out there.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2009, 03:57:16 PM »

Yuck.  The kind of art that appeals to 12 year-old girls.  All it needs is a jumping dolphin.
I know what you mean...but that's not what this is.  This has elements of the sublime.  Look at it a little longer.  Notice the dialogue in the foreground.  Lamp post?  Sidewalk?  No...there's no Waldo.  Smiley

MBE
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2009, 08:41:38 PM »

I like photos of whatever group or singer it is on album covers. I like seeing where they are visually, it helps me interpret the music better. For the Beach Boys I dig Sunflower, Good Vibrations (the 1970 LP) Close Up, 20/20, Stack O Tracks (my favorite), Summer Days, Today, Pet Sounds, Shut Down 2. If I had to pick a drawing or non Beach Boys cover I like Surfin USA a lot, Little Deuce Coupe is also cool. I don't mind MIU at all, in fact I think it's very pleasent.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2009, 09:53:17 AM »

I like photos of whatever group or singer it is on album covers. I like seeing where they are visually, it helps me interpret the music better. For the Beach Boys I dig Sunflower, Good Vibrations (the 1970 LP) Close Up, 20/20, Stack O Tracks (my favorite), Summer Days, Today, Pet Sounds, Shut Down 2. If I had to pick a drawing or non Beach Boys cover I like Surfin USA a lot, Little Deuce Coupe is also cool. I don't mind MIU at all, in fact I think it's very pleasent.
With Elvis in the 70s, they just used early 70s photos of him I believe....which obviously was intended to hide "where he was visually."

But that's an interesting point you make.  I do like having pictures of them in the package, absolutely ... but MIU works well by providing us a great design and visual on the cover, and on the back you get the bums!  Cheesy

I love the 15 Big Ones cover -- for exactly the reason you mention.  It's so "...well ... here we are."  Wouldn't that have been a daring cover for them?  Mainly Brian's "OMG" appearance...then again, people were used to seeing him in this state:  SNL, Rolling Stone, etc.  Love You is perfect for the music inside -- comforting and homemade, kind of like a quilt or some simple child's toy.

Friends has a cool concept, but the visuals don't work for me.  Surfin' Safari is sooooo iconic -- love it.  Not a big fan of Keepin the Summer Afloat.  It's interesting...just doesn't say Beach Boys to me -- don't think I like the concept.  It's like a joke, you hear it once and you get it.  LA is nice -- but once again, to your point, no photo.  I would have liked a photo.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:55:33 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2009, 12:12:53 PM »

my favorite album cover is probably All Summer Long.. perfect.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2009, 12:37:07 PM »

With Elvis in the 70s, they just used early 70s photos of him I believe....which obviously was intended to hide "where he was visually."

No, they used mostly fairly recent pictures of him for his albums. In fact I wish they'd use a different one for the "Promised land"-album

My favorite BBs-cover would probably be "Surfer girl" (I totally love those Paradise Cove-shots. They are just fascinating imo), "Wild honey" "Smiley Smile" or "Surf's up". The covers of those albums show exactly what is on the record and they are cool to look at

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2009, 03:58:19 PM »

No, they used mostly fairly recent pictures of him for his albums. In fact I wish they'd use a different one for the "Promised land"-album

My favorite BBs-cover would probably be "Surfer girl" (I totally love those Paradise Cove-shots. They are just fascinating imo), "Wild honey" "Smiley Smile" or "Surf's up". The covers of those albums show exactly what is on the record and they are cool to look at
Let's see with Elvis he looked pretty good until 1975 so no need to really hide him before then. Not counting the reissues, Good Times, Today and Moody Blue, were the only ones with old photos.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2009, 04:50:28 AM »

And here's why we should be buying this (and why I will).

We're fans. It's what we do.

But of course Capitol are trying to sell to two different audiences with one catch-all release.

Never mind the Beatles, here's what you get if you're a Bee Gees fan:

http://www.amazon.com/Odessa-CD-Deluxe-Bee-Gees/dp/B001HZ9ABM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1239968978&sr=1-1
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »

And here's why we should be buying this (and why I will).

We're fans. It's what we do.

But of course Capitol are trying to sell to two different audiences with one catch-all release.

Never mind the Beatles, here's what you get if you're a Bee Gees fan:

http://www.amazon.com/Odessa-CD-Deluxe-Bee-Gees/dp/B001HZ9ABM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1239968978&sr=1-1

That's exactly what I'm talking about!!!  Thanks so much for posting that.  I was beginning to feel alienated!!  You see that Capitol?!?!?!?!  You could be charging 40 bux for Surfin' Safari.  $40 for each original album!!

I don't mind the comps...they're great for people who don't buy CDs and only have a dozen or so TOTAL in their collection.  Summer Love songs is for them.  Hardcore Beach Boy fans have to buy how many collection to get the singles?  BOGUS.

At least we got Brian.  He's workin' for us.  God Bless him.  The last thing we got from Capitol was Hawthorne, in what, 2001?  Before that it was the 96 Pet Sounds Box and then the 93 GV box.  I think the 2008 "Shingles" box was supposed to be our most recent bone.   LOL
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:45:16 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx